BajaNomad

Mexican Independence Day

bajaguy - 9-13-2016 at 08:45 PM

September 16th......some festivities may start on the 15th

Government offices and some businesses may be closed on the 15th to the 19th. Many cities/towns may have road closures and parades (and the obligatory accompanying fireworks)

If you will be traveling, plan ahead

BajaBlanca - 9-14-2016 at 07:50 AM

I won't be there but the Middle School where I teach will be doing their parade on the 15th, so like Bajaguy said - roads will be crowded and some closed off!

shari - 9-15-2016 at 09:58 AM

most festivities are the 15th and get out and enjoy the show and traditional food served at these events...go downtown tonight wherever you are in Mexico for a cultural experience!

Udo - 9-15-2016 at 10:46 AM

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

DENNIS - 9-15-2016 at 10:59 AM

The traditional Grito is tonight. Parades around here tomorrow, the 16th. Driving over the weekend will be like bumper cars for all the drunks on the road. Stay home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cry_of_Dolores

[Edited on 9-15-2016 by DENNIS]

bajaguy - 9-15-2016 at 11:10 AM

And lock up your dogs (and cats)

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

The traditional Grito is tonight. Parades around here tomorrow, the 16th. Driving over the weekend will be like bumper cars for all the drunks on the road. Stay home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cry_of_Dolores

[Edited on 9-15-2016 by DENNIS]

gsbotanico - 9-15-2016 at 02:00 PM

Tonight September 15 is a good time NOT to be going through the Zona Río to get to the lines to cross the border. Traffic will be bumper to bumper and some streets will be closed. There is a big fireworks display. The "Grito" comes from Mexico City around 9 pm Tijuana time. It's worthwhile to witness this at least once.

By 10 pm crowds are thinning. It's the moment to make an exit to get in line to cross the border if leaving Mexico. The parades are the next day on September 16. The parade route will be closed for a while. Plan accordingly.

I crossed at San Ysidro on Monday. The Sentri lane was surprisingly long. However, it moved quickly, and when I finally crossed I was at the extreme left in lane 11. I have never seen so many Sentri lanes open. The Ready Lanes were reduced in number. I don't know if this was temporary for this week only.

DENNIS - 9-15-2016 at 03:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
The "Grito" comes from Mexico City around 9 pm Tijuana time. It's worthwhile to witness this at least once.

Also enacted by local Presidentes...Mayors. Depends on the locale, but big none the less.

VIVA PACIFICO

David K - 9-15-2016 at 09:52 PM

We enjoyed a fantastic Independence fiesta tonight in Bahia Asuncion! Thank you Shari.

Udo - 9-16-2016 at 07:49 AM

:bounce:
:biggrin:

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
We enjoyed a fantastic Independence fiesta tonight in Bahia Asuncion! Thank you Shari.

David K - 9-16-2016 at 08:15 AM

Thanks Udo! That's how the 8 of us feel!!!!!

StuckSucks - 9-16-2016 at 08:30 AM

Feliz, all!