BajaNomad

Best hotel in San Felipe

Binger7 - 9-15-2016 at 04:07 AM

Staying one night there on way back to US. What is best hotel for stay and security. 2 guys, 2 beds. Thanks

bajamedic - 9-15-2016 at 12:20 PM

Really... theft can happen anywhere. I travel to San Felipe once or twice a year, I have NEVER had anything stolen out of my truck. One of my stays, I had the back of the truck filled with food and goodies, I parked at the Red Lobster Motel, got a good nights sleep and the next morning everything was still there. I would like to see anyone try that in any neighborhood of Los Angeles, CA.

Back to motels, there are two very obvious motels near the beach downtown, both are expensive compared to the ones I just north of San Felipe, near El Dorado Ranch. When you check in ask if they have hot water for your shower. :lol:
Enjoy your stay. JH

Quote: Originally posted by Joselito  

[Edited on 9-28-2016 by BajaNomad]

Maybe not the "best"

John M - 9-15-2016 at 12:40 PM

We've stayed numerous nights at the El Capitan Motel downtown. I think they have a web-site. Something like $45 to $50. You can park right outside of your room if theft is a concern. We usually have an open pick up truck with the bed full of goodies - hadn't had a problem.

Or, more distant from down town is on the west side of Highway 5, not far south of the first Pemex you come to - the Sky Blue (or is it Blue Sky?) motel. From the states 011-52-686-688-1760. Parking outside of your room also.

John

mjs - 9-15-2016 at 12:50 PM

Next to the El Capitan is El Caribe. Enclosed courtyard for parking. Also Hotel Hacienda Don Jesus has (or used to) a security guard.

BajaBreak - 9-15-2016 at 01:12 PM

There is Hotel Familiar just south of the malecon, about a hundred feet or so. Really nice family that runs it, along with a coffee shop and market out front. It's across the street from the big blue and white one on the beach, can't recall name. Parking in front of room behind gate. Good prices, a/c, and remodeled rooms.

rts551 - 9-15-2016 at 01:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
We've stayed numerous nights at the El Capitan Motel downtown. I think they have a web-site. Something like $45 to $50. You can park right outside of your room if theft is a concern. We usually have an open pick up truck with the bed full of goodies - hadn't had a problem.

Or, more distant from down town is on the west side of Highway 5, not far south of the first Pemex you come to - the Sky Blue (or is it Blue Sky?) motel. From the states 011-52-686-688-1760. Parking outside of your room also.

John

SKY BLUE....we stay there often. not a 5 star but secure.

grace59 - 9-15-2016 at 01:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBreak  
There is Hotel Familiar just south of the malecon, about a hundred feet or so. Really nice family that runs it, along with a coffee shop and market out front. It's across the street from the big blue and white one on the beach, can't recall name. Parking in front of room behind gate. Good prices, a/c, and remodeled rooms.

The big blue hotel is called Hotel Costa Azul it is located on Calle Mar de Cortez.

rts551 - 9-15-2016 at 01:35 PM

Kiki's when things are not busy and noisy. secure and nice...no food near by.... we have been disappointed by most of the motels in San Felipe and have stayed at most....Theft is an issue in the town so make sure where you stay is secure.

Costa Azul

John M - 9-15-2016 at 01:37 PM

The Costa Azul, though it hasn't been recommended, has some pretty bad ratings recently. Just thought I'd mention it as it looks pretty darned decent from the outside. We've only stayed there once and that was many many moons ago.

John

sancho - 9-15-2016 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamedic  
I travel to San Felipe once or twice a year, I have NEVER had anything stolen out of my truck

I frequent SF also, never experienced theft, but because that has
not happened to you, or me, means nada. That cavalier passing
along of info. is a bit, inaccurate. Do NOT leave gear unattended,
stay at some sort of Motel with a guard, or a drive in courtyard
with limited access

[Edited on 9-15-2016 by sancho]

rts551 - 9-15-2016 at 02:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
The Costa Azul, though it hasn't been recommended, has some pretty bad ratings recently. Just thought I'd mention it as it looks pretty darned decent from the outside. We've only stayed there once and that was many many moons ago.

John

We tried it. Pretty run down...and they initially wanted $85 for the night. I explained we were traveing and only wanted a room for the night so they dropped the price to 50...but we will not stay there again. Had the same experience at Las Palmas...and they have had theft issues (motorcycles).

BeemerDan - 9-15-2016 at 03:25 PM

Thats the Posada Del Sol, Good secure parking and very nice people. Eloisa Pena runs it

basautter - 9-15-2016 at 05:26 PM

I like El Cortez. The property is walled, has gate guards (sort of), nice rooms, great food, and they take credit cards. It's also right on the beach, and walking distance from the strip. How great is that? I have seen the big Baja race teams stay there, and they know!

[Edited on 9-16-2016 by basautter]

redmesa - 9-15-2016 at 05:32 PM

At the El Cortez our room on the beach we had our coats and bags stolen.

rts551 - 9-15-2016 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by redmesa  
At the El Cortez our room on the beach we had our coats and bags stolen.

Aren't the rooms kind of run down as well.

BajaBreak - 9-15-2016 at 07:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  

Thats the Posada Del Sol, Good secure parking and very nice people. Eloisa Pena runs it

Thanks Dan. The card I found says Hotel Familiar - Posada del Sol. Ave. Mar de Cortez #238. (686)577-1727. Great little spot close to Malecon with a secure parking courtyard.

I agree with the sentiments on costs azul. The sea view balconies seem nice, but it seems to be popular with some hard partying types from what I've seen.

Binger7 - 9-15-2016 at 08:38 PM

Thank you Nomads. I love this site. Let's all have a reunion some time. I will be sure and post after I finish the trip. Maybe I wont be a newbie anymore than.:)

ehall - 9-16-2016 at 09:55 AM

lol. Theft can happen anywhere. We stopped for lunch on the malecon. Buddy paid some kid 5 bucks to watch the boat. Kid stole a reel off a rod and disappeared.

Fishndad - 9-17-2016 at 05:44 PM

My buddy and I stayed at El Captian headed to loreto and coming back to the states end of August. Clean and not expensive. AC works well. Not much for tv and Internet was spotty. I would definitely stay again. Spoke good English.

Elena La Loca - 9-17-2016 at 08:33 PM

http://www.hotelsanborja.mx/

Right across the street from KiKi's RV camping (so you're 1/2 block from the water - depending what the tide's doing - should you wanna take a quick "dip")

Good strong AC. Good hot water. Impeccably clean. Night watchman in the parking lot.

Got our two thumbs up last June when the Baja 500 was run over on that side.

motoged - 9-17-2016 at 08:42 PM

That is Kiki's new motel...original one is still a great choice...

Quote: Originally posted by Elena La Loca  
http://www.hotelsanborja.mx/

Right across the street from KiKi's RV camping (so you're 1/2 block from the water - depending what the tide's doing - should you wanna take a quick "dip")

Good strong AC. Good hot water. Impeccably clean. Night watchman in the parking lot.

Got our two thumbs up last June when the Baja 500 was run over on that side.

redhilltown - 9-17-2016 at 11:55 PM

I like Hacienda Don Jesus...not sure of the room number, but it is upstairs and all the way back...two rooms...large...new tv's...easy walk to the malecon and secure parking...and nice pool if that floats yer boat.

Just got tired of the El Cortez and the attitude that they were doing you a favor by letting you stay there at ridiculous rates...