BajaNomad

Hello from The Baja Extreme... at Bahia Asuncion

David K - 9-15-2016 at 10:19 PM

Just a note to say hola from Baja and to look forward to quite a trip report sometime next week.

So far, my 7 friends and I, in four 4x4 Toyotas, are having an extreme time! Shell Island, Coco's Corner, Calamajue Canyon, San Borja, Montevideo, Bahia de los Angeles, Poncho's, San Ignacio, & Both Sides of Bahia Concepcion!!!! That is just half of The Baja Extreme 2016.

I love seeing how Baja California can capture the hearts of others as it has mine.

Viva Baja and for Independence Day: Viva Mexico!

[Edited on 9-21-2016 by David K]

ehall - 9-16-2016 at 04:35 AM

Wondered where you been lately. Sounds like your having fun.

wessongroup - 9-16-2016 at 06:16 AM

Sounds like fun ... :):)

Bajaboy - 9-16-2016 at 07:33 AM

headed south tomorrow...keep your eyes open for us!

Udo - 9-16-2016 at 07:46 AM

Looking forward to the report.

David K - 9-16-2016 at 08:09 AM

Will do, as we are going north... Bahia Asuncion fun day today!
Oh, the weather is perfect, too...

C205Driver - 9-16-2016 at 09:06 AM

. . .You forgot to invite us along!!!!!!. . . Safe & enjoyable travels, , ,

David K - 9-16-2016 at 09:19 AM

I will try and make up for not bringing you by posting a knock out trip report.

The problem will be what photos to use! Each of us is taking pics and videos...

I love seeing new as well as the old places again.

We are heading to Shari's special beach and the fossil beds this morning.

Viva Baja!

TMW - 9-16-2016 at 09:32 AM

Can't wait for the trip report, glad you and your friends are having fun.

Did Poncho get his Onan generator working? I took him a control module in Jan. and he was going to see if that fixed it.

ncampion - 9-16-2016 at 10:17 AM

Heading South tomorrow will look for a caravan of Toyotas heading North.

mtgoat666 - 9-16-2016 at 10:30 AM

i suspect the trip report might have a few pictures of tacomas, eh?

o3dave - 9-16-2016 at 02:36 PM

I am a David K fan. That said. How can a trip be extreme if one is not driving a highly modified Jeep?

Glad you are having a blast though!

chivatojoe - 9-16-2016 at 02:54 PM

Thought that was you on Instagram at Nathan 's. Sure do wish we could pots pictures that quick and easy here....

Udo - 9-16-2016 at 03:05 PM

A full trip report is quite a chore with having to post a lot of photos (as everyone wants to see.) Even with the knowledge that many of us Nomads have with PHOTOBUCKET, GOOGLE, and some other programs used to post photos.
Nothing could be easier than INSTAGRAM and FACEBOOK.

Quote: Originally posted by chivatojoe  
Sure do wish we could pots pictures that quick and easy here....

shari - 9-16-2016 at 03:57 PM

OMG...epic group...havent had this much fun in a long time....muchos tacos de ojos!!! WE just got back from a fantastic beach day...surfing at Pta.Loma then swimming and boogie boarding at San Roque on a perfect day...now for some amazing food...the chef Jessie is preparing a Japanese sea food medely...I am doing sashimi and caracol...we got pulpo and halibut too....gotta go!!!

BigBearRider - 9-16-2016 at 04:36 PM

Not even a MAP?????

David K - 9-16-2016 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Can't wait for the trip report, glad you and your friends are having fun.

Did Poncho get his Onan generator working? I took him a control module in Jan. and he was going to see if that fixed it.

Hi Tom, Poncho's batteries are shot, so he has power only in the day with solar. He was so friendly to us, and gave the ladies in our group sea shells. Sad about the meth heads stealing his truck... He needs two batteries to have power at night. I took a photo.

Gotta go... Shari just made yellowtail sashimi, fish caught today.

David K - 9-16-2016 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chivatojoe  
Thought that was you on Instagram at Nathan 's. Sure do wish we could pots pictures that quick and easy here....

Never been on Instagram, Nathan is on Facebook, however... as am I... but not in Baja.

David K - 9-16-2016 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
i suspect the trip report might have a few pictures of tacomas, eh?

1 Tacoma: David & Pat
1 Land Cruiser 80 Series: Jesse & Marland
1 4Runner: Nick & Christine
1 FJ Cruiser: Ham & Jerry

chivatojoe - 9-16-2016 at 07:32 PM

You should check out Instagram. 1billion users.

David K - 9-16-2016 at 07:42 PM

Facebook is enough, but thanks!

We just watched a great sunset and Venus is bright above the ocean, and there's even an eclipse tonight!

The Baja Extreme 2016 is totally a great experience for us all. We are on the upstairs deck at Shari's La Bufadora Hotel in Bahia Asuncion. Great times...

AKgringo - 9-16-2016 at 07:58 PM

I watched a sunset from that upper deck in Nov 2014. I was still a 'newbie' on this forum at the time, Shari is the only Nomad I have met in person (knowingly anyway!).

basautter - 9-17-2016 at 02:02 AM

Sounds like a great trip! Let's see some pictures!

shari - 9-17-2016 at 06:57 AM

i gotta say this was THE most fun group EVER!!!! and that is something as we get alot of fun folk here....but these dudes really busted out the joy!

Ken Cooke - 9-18-2016 at 10:12 AM

Have a great time in Baja - and a Happy Birthday! :yes:

David K - 9-20-2016 at 06:52 AM

The Baja Extreme 2016 crossed over northbound at Tecate yesterday at 2:10 pm after a 40 minute line wait.

Our last night was with Ron at his oyster farm near San Quintin and the night before was at Las Pintas fossil grotto.

Trip report, photos, videos, and ? will be coming soon and probably over several days as everyone took photos and some took videos.

The weather was awesome as we got this in between hurricanes! I will make a post now in Road Conditions forum on some observations made.

Viva Baja Nomad!

shari - 9-20-2016 at 09:34 AM

Happy belated birthday David...what a great place to celebrate it with Ron! The full photo album is on facebook but here are some highlights of our 2 days with the gang.

They arrived on the evening of the Fiestas patrias so we loaded them all into the back of my pick up to go downtown for some cultural immersion and great traditional food.

They tried everything, empenadas, tamales, champurada etc and chef jesse was a favorite with the ladies.

Thanks David for bringing such a spirited group down...it was a blast!

Marland who is a Hollywood actor had fun with the skateboard kids exchanging tricks.

I love it when our guests get into chatting with the locals about different things...food, surf, skateboarding...everybody was stoked!

I served my famous waffles and fruit salad for breakfast at the Bufadora inn

then it was off to the beach with some of the surf club guys so Nick could catch a few waves at Pta.Loma

Nick was pretty macho in his board shorts!

then we headed to San Roque for some boogie boarding, spear fishing and throwing the ball around...it was a perfect beach day.

then it was back to the Inn where Jesse and his sous chefs prepared an amazing seafood dinner for 13! Gotta love seeing guys in the kitchen

it was great to cook for Tomas & Anaberta from Loncheria Mari!

motoged - 9-20-2016 at 09:41 AM

That group sure looks like they ARE having fun !!!! A fiesta extravaganza....:cool:

David K - 9-20-2016 at 10:15 AM

This reply moved to the Trip Report: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=84056

[Edited on 9-21-2016 by David K]

David K - 9-20-2016 at 10:41 AM

Here is Shari's group photo with names added:

Marland (actor, Magic Mike, commercials, etc.)
Jesse (Executive Chef Four Seasons Hotel)
Christine (ER RN/ PA)
Nick (Engineer Four Seasons Hotel, super mechanic, diver, surfer)
Ham (Electronics wizard, FJ Cruiser forum chief)
Jerry (Ham's sister, quiet but loved learning how to swim at San Roque)
Pat (Real estate investor, hiker, desert fan)
David (Baja locations advisor, Baja history details, author)

bigboy - 9-20-2016 at 10:58 AM

I saw three of the vehicles at the first toll station going north at about 12:30. Looks like you had a fun trip!

David K - 9-20-2016 at 11:05 AM

Interesting! We (Pat and I) did separate from the other three, north of San Quintin, but all four Toyotas got to the border line at almost the same time... they were just a few cars behind us in the single line at Tecate. We did not use the toll road, but maybe they missed the turn and doubled back or crossed over at El Tigre?

Pat and I stopped at the Tecate Calimax so he could buy a bottle of tequila, which let them catch up, I guess.

They actually got there ahead, as I saw them moving along the border fence street, but they didn't know about the single line rule, and doubled back to behind us in line. I couldn't reach them on the CB to alert them.

In Baja, it all works out!

[Edited on 9-20-2016 by David K]

David K - 9-20-2016 at 11:14 AM

Here's a photo that Olivia took of Nathan and the Baja Extreme 2016 gang, at Playa Buenaventura, Bahia Concepcion...

Nathan Baja Extreme 2016.jpg - 120kB

David K - 9-21-2016 at 09:08 AM

OK, I started the trip report with photos and travel data, etc. Here is the direct link: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=84056

Bajahowodd - 9-22-2016 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The Baja Extreme 2016 crossed over northbound at Tecate yesterday at 2:10 pm after a 40 minute line wait.

Our last night was with Ron at his oyster farm near San Quintin and the night before was at Las Pintas fossil grotto.

Trip report, photos, videos, and ? will be coming soon and probably over several days as everyone took photos and some took videos.

The weather was awesome as we got this in between hurricanes! I will make a post now in Road Conditions forum on some observations made.

Viva Baja Nomad!

How is my old friend Ron doing? I know he went through a rough patch no so long ago.

norte - 9-22-2016 at 04:31 PM

How much did you charge for a trip like this?

David K - 9-22-2016 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

Viva Baja Nomad!

How is my old friend Ron doing? I know he went through a rough patch no so long ago.

He and his wife were nearly killed.. it was horrific what happened. Ron showed me the pit on his skull where the crowbar smashed him in the head! Surprising he is in such great spirits, perhaps motivated by the success of his oyster farm and other new and fantastic things happening there!

David K - 9-22-2016 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

It was three other Toyota four wheelers following me because I had planned a trip for my passenger (Pat, whom one of them knew) that they also wanted to do. Pat shared with the travel expenses I estimated before we left home, on the trip. We stayed in budget.

If you or anyone wants me to take them to Baja, they can contact me via email or messenger to discuss details. I will customize a Baja trip based on what they want to see or do, camping or motels, or combo.

My only requirements that my passenger be a non-smoker and don't have any pot, illegal drugs, guns, or ammo on them.

shari - 9-23-2016 at 07:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

If you or anyone wants me to take them to Baja, they can contact me via email or messenger to discuss details. I will customize a Baja trip based on what they want to see or do, camping or motels, or combo.

My only requirements that my passenger be a non-smoker and don't have any pot, illegal drugs, guns, or ammo on them.

Oh geeze...that lets me out! hahahaha

How about you organize a trip in the spring for whale season David? and this time you could do a cave painting trip to Sta.Marta or La Sierra de San francisco too...do both lagoons...just an idea!

I highly recommend David's guide services as he is so knowledgeable about Baja stuff, has good connections, is a very good organizer and leader. He is flexible, allows his guests freedom and is not too overbearing. His guests were super contentos.

David K - 9-23-2016 at 07:57 AM

Thank you Shari!
There is just so much Baja, and so little time to see it all!
Baja Angel and I would love to go on your whale trip... one of the many Baja activities we have yet to do!

Udo - 9-24-2016 at 09:10 AM

Where is the "LIKE" button?

David K - 9-24-2016 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Where is the "LIKE" button?

Day 6, part 1 just added: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=84056

Ham's FJ would impress you, I think! Yours is very nice, too!