BajaNomad

Rental issue, money not being refunded

nomana - 9-16-2016 at 07:55 PM

I have a rental issue. I should have rented from a Mexican, but thought it'd be best to rent from Gringos and have had problems. I haven't been able to get my deposit or money back. Any ideas about what I can do? Thank you

yellowklr - 9-16-2016 at 09:43 PM

Well I'll be blunt......ask nicely, then ask again nicely and if nothing walk away........Forget about using the legal system in Mexico for something like that.

basautter - 9-17-2016 at 12:40 AM

More info please. When, where, who?

BajaBlanca - 9-17-2016 at 05:55 AM

I so agree on so many levels. Try again nicely. then Walk away.

Recourse

bajaguy - 9-17-2016 at 06:28 AM

There is always Hacienda (are they registered and paying due and correct taxes in the derived rental income???) and Immigration (do they hold the proper immigration status to be in the country and to operate a business???).........you do have some leverage

[Edited on 9-17-2016 by bajaguy]

mtgoat666 - 9-17-2016 at 06:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by nomana  
I have a rental issue. I should have rented from a Mexican, but thought it'd be best to rent from Gringos and have had problems. I haven't been able to get my deposit or money back. Any ideas about what I can do? Thank you

First, try direct negotiation. Second, try public shaming via nomad, bulletin board, FB, TripAdvisor, etc. (their willingness to pay may be directly proportional to their discomfort.). Third, walk away and forget about it.
If you negotiated the deal while both parties were in USA, and written or verbal contract was made in USA, you could try small claims court in your home town USA. If anything, just to rattle the other party, as a judge might ultimately throw out the case.

DENNIS - 9-17-2016 at 07:02 AM

Did you get a receipt? I doubt it matters even if you did, but if you didn't, just say goodbye to the money and live in the place long enough to apply the deposit to rent.

DENNIS - 9-17-2016 at 08:14 AM

Another point to ponder.....in order for anyone to enter into a contract in Mexico, they must be legal with immigration to defend themselves.
I'm guessing you have a big can of worms to open. Don't know why....just guessing.

DENNIS - 9-17-2016 at 09:32 AM

Agreed. Not much to go on. Anyway...SAT would be a landlord concern.

basautter - 9-17-2016 at 10:37 AM

What was the refund policy?

nomana - 9-17-2016 at 04:44 PM

Thank you all. I don't like to cause harm if at all possible, so didn't post details to protect the other party even though they have not been fair or kind to me. I don't plan on "shaming" or making things difficult for them, but so others don't have the same experience that I did...

It was a month to month rental for a max of three months. I was there for two weeks and left the place in better condition than when I arrived. The entire house smelled like dog urine. The main rug in the living area was soaked with it. I contacted someone and got rid of the rug. I was promised there would be screens in all windows and there would be a screen for the sliding glass door. There were not, which made it very difficult to air out the place since I had a cat. I was told the locks had been changed, however the previous tenant set up the phone answering machine for their use and left me a note asking me to answer calls and take messages for them. There were no linens for the bed so I had to buy my own, a small, but annoying expense. I was yelled at a number of times despite not doing anything wrong, made to feel like an annoyance, never told where trash and recycling was despite asking numerous times and there were other issues as well. I just figured it was all part of moving to Baja and was willing to do the extra work and be patient. However, for what I was paying, everything should have been perfect.

I have learned a lot from the experience and going forward will be able to avoid these situations. For this I am grateful.

Please do not use Baja Bungalows, Matt Dunn or Irka. It will most likely not be a good experience for you and you will lose your money.

And now, I will walk away. I'm Ok with that. I believe in being present and going forward.

Again, thank you for the help and support.

fandango - 9-17-2016 at 05:15 PM

Sorry you had trouble nomana.
Where was this house located?

Udo - 9-17-2016 at 05:27 PM

I know of Irka's previous shenanigans. I have no idea what her problems are.

nomana - 9-17-2016 at 05:31 PM

Thanks Fandango. Punta Banda.

Udo, I should have posted the rental on this forum before I decided on it. Oh well... Hopefully others will avoid her in the future.

julienelson - 9-17-2016 at 06:57 PM

Sorry to hear about what happened. I have heard you are not the first. If you want to make sure that no one else falls in the same trap, then it's time to protect the next client.

S A T

wilderone - 9-18-2016 at 07:38 AM

"public shaming" is called "Yelp" these days, and along with tripadvisor, and forums like Bajanomad, a business enterprise is subject to commentary - both good and bad. Fair applies to both sides.

"left me a note asking me to answer calls and take messages for them" - LOL!!

DENNIS - 9-18-2016 at 07:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
OK, then.
In the future, notify the landlord of issues via email or writing and, if they don't address it within one week (5 working days) then you fix it and deduct it from the rent.
That is how it works.
Let them figure out how to not make that work, they're flocked in that regard.

The OP dealt with a RE company.

nomana - 9-18-2016 at 12:13 PM

Thanks. I think this is enough for now, though I do understand about reviews being helpful. Right now, I don't want to spend anymore time and energy on this. May consider posting some reviews in the future or posting on some other forums. All the comments have been great. I really appreciate it.

woody with a view - 9-18-2016 at 12:32 PM

Be well. That's the important part.....

nomana - 9-18-2016 at 12:59 PM

Agreed. Thank you. You as well.