BajaNomad

Punta San jose (light house) turn off with construction

Isignay - 9-20-2016 at 08:29 PM

Hello everyone, recently I made my first trek to Baja, two weeks of excitement and adventure. It's been a week and I want to go back to punta San jose, south of ensanada.

Last week the hiway was under construction and I cannot figure out how to get to punta San jose (light house) without going through erendira and backtracking north. Last time out I reached the light house from erendira but proceeded further north and ended up on a fun jeep trail which popped me out at some private mining operation...

Any tips would be appreciated thank you.

[Edited on 9-21-2016 by Isignay]

MMc - 9-20-2016 at 10:04 PM

Go to Santa Thomas and take the road that goes up behind the town. Stay to the north. I am sure there will be maps to follow. That will get you there. While at the medic place there is a road that switchbacks up the hill. That"s the road get on it, you'll do fine.
Last time you went to Punta Chine one road off to the north.

Road from cabras to tomas?

David K - 9-21-2016 at 06:56 AM

About two months ago this was a similar discussion: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83453

There are maps (David K), photos (Ateo), and satellite images (TMW) with the roads added...

Here is one of the maps from that post:

Isignay - 9-21-2016 at 07:00 AM

Got it, thank you!

Is the road to salsipuedes closed right now last week when I took the turn off there were cones blocking the road down to the water...

David K - 9-21-2016 at 07:03 AM

I can't answer, as I was on Hwy. 3 to Tecate from Ensenada, two days ago... and the closest I ever got to Salsipuedes before was to pull over at the viewpoint along the highway.

Ateo - 9-21-2016 at 07:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Isignay  
Got it, thank you!

Is the road to salsipuedes closed right now last week when I took the turn off there were cones blocking the road down to the water...

Yes. It's permanently closed.

Isignay - 9-21-2016 at 07:14 AM

Are you allowed to walk down where the cones block the road or Are you not allowed to go down these days ?

BajaGeoff - 9-21-2016 at 11:22 AM

I don't think they want anyone on the property. I have friends from Ensenada that will hike in to surf but they come in from the south side of the point down on the beach. Most people bring a boat or jet ski from Ensenada to get to the surf.

BajaGeoff - 9-21-2016 at 01:44 PM

Sorry for the oversized pic, but here is a little map of the turnoff. Not sure what the construction is like, but after you pass El Palomar, find the Abarrotes Santo Tomas Tecate store (small picture) and that is the road you want to turn off on to head towards the coast...then north towards Punta San Jose. Hope this helps!

David K - 9-21-2016 at 01:46 PM

Good job Geoff!!!