BajaNomad

problem with ffm

lhenlex - 9-23-2016 at 06:17 PM

ok this is really stupid of me
but its happening..1 week before our set roadtrip to cabos I went to get the ffm or tourist permit..and behold my son's passport turned out to be expired..i never noticed! I feel really stupid right now..there's no way for us to get my son's passport in time.
So now here's another stupid question..anyone here ever drove to cabos without ffm? My husband is mexican and speaks perfect spanish he'll be the one driving throughout so im hoping checkpoints won't even bother asking if we have permit?

yellowklr - 9-23-2016 at 06:22 PM

if he isn't driving i wouldn't worry imho

woody with a view - 9-23-2016 at 06:24 PM

What he means is take the passport anyway and play dumb. Afterall, its still ID, right? No one cares about the fmm while driving. Just go.

lhenlex - 9-23-2016 at 06:40 PM

That's what i thought too..i read many posts saying nobody ever checked their ffm..i just hoped we don't get asked neither.

i wonder how much the fine tho:?:

bajaguy - 9-23-2016 at 06:47 PM

They could send you back to the border

Quote: Originally posted by lhenlex  
That's what i thought too..i read many posts saying nobody ever checked their ffm..i just hoped we don't get asked neither.

i wonder how much the fine tho:?:

lhenlex - 9-23-2016 at 06:53 PM

my husband's idea is to justget mine.. my husband doesnt need one coz he's a mexican citizen..my son is 9 yrs old..we're just hoping that our son being minor shouldnt be a big deal if he doesnt have ffm?

David K - 9-23-2016 at 07:18 PM

Have fun... if your husband is a Mexican, so is your son. There was only one check for FMMs typically (at the state border on Hwy. 1) and it was not looking when we passed through last week.

We were 8 non-Mexicans driving almost 1,700 miles this month with FMMs and not once were asked to show them.

lhenlex - 9-23-2016 at 08:12 PM

thank you so much for sharing that..here i was thinking we might have to cancel our vacation..

DENNIS - 9-23-2016 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Have fun... if your husband is a Mexican, so is your son.

Not so without going through the paperwork etc.
Why would anyone with a Nomad presumption of respect for the laws of a host country suggest breaking these laws?

David K - 9-23-2016 at 08:42 PM

Mexico rules for Mexican people Dennis.

BajaBlanca - 9-23-2016 at 09:03 PM

I am also sure that if the dad is Mexican, the kid is automatically considered Mexican ! Go to a Mexican consulate and get him a permit!

Mulegena - 9-23-2016 at 10:38 PM

You and your son were both born in the USA and are legally considered US citizens. You both must have visitor entry permit visas. Take both your US passports, current and expired just bring 'em, and bring a copy of your son's birth certificate. Get your entry visas at the port of entry into Mexico. You must stop and get your visas there. You'll both be traveling as US citizens.

Your husband will need to have his birth certificate, Mexican passport or Mexican voter registration card with him. He has to travel with identification, too.

Now, about your son's legal status. He's a US citizen. He's not a Mexican. Your husband, as a Mexican citizen, can apply for Mexican citizenship for his son later on. When it was granted your son would have dual citizenship. Here's the application process that you can pursue at a later date: http://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/solicitud-de-carta-de-natur...

Have a good time on your vacation. No worries about the military. They're looking for arms, ammo and drugs... and cookies. They're just kids doing their required military duty.

[Edited on 9-24-2016 by Mulegena]

Russ - 9-24-2016 at 05:18 AM

If you make it to La Paz stop at the Emigration office and ask how to get your son citizenship in Mexico. He can have dual citizenship as your husband may have. The reason I say La Paz is that I've always bee treated fairly there.

DENNIS - 9-24-2016 at 07:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I am also sure that if the dad is Mexican, the kid is automatically considered Mexican ! Go to a Mexican consulate and get him a permit!

Not automatically. There's a registration process to go through. Until that's completed, he remains a foreigner.

ooops...didn't see Maria's post up there, but she's right-on.

[Edited on 9-24-2016 by DENNIS]

mtgoat666 - 9-24-2016 at 07:37 AM

but its happening..1 week before our set roadtrip to cabos I went to get the ffm or tourist permit..and behold my son's passport turned out to be expired..i never noticed! I feel really stupid right now..there's no way for us to get my son's passport in time.
So now here's another stupid question..anyone here ever drove to cabos without ffm? My husband is mexican and speaks perfect spanish he'll be the one driving throughout so im hoping checkpoints won't even bother asking if we have permit?

You can get expedited passport in 48 to 72 hours. Look on dept state website. Requires trip to passport center. Most every major city has one, including San Diego and LA.

Bajazly - 9-24-2016 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

You can get expedited passport in 48 to 72 hours. Look on dept state website. Requires trip to passport center. Most every major city has one, including San Diego and LA.

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago right before a race. Search expedited passport and you will find many companies offering from 1 day to 1 week service all thru Fed Ex. I think I choose the 4 or 5 day option and it was like $150 or so extra. Worked fine.

mtgoat666 - 9-24-2016 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago right before a race. Search expedited passport and you will find many companies offering from 1 day to 1 week service all thru Fed Ex. I think I choose the 4 or 5 day option and it was like $150 or so extra. Worked fine.

You don't need to use a third party vendor. Just call passport office, get an appt, go in person to appt, pick up passport 48 hrs later.

Mulegena - 9-24-2016 at 12:19 PM

Another couple of things...

If your husband is going to be driving your US-plated car he must have a valid USA state-issued driver's license with him.

If he's a legal US resident, be sure he has his residency papers or appropriate copies - whatever he needs to get back into the US safely and without hassle.

Please have a good trip, chill and enjoy yourselves.
Be prepared, be legal and you'll have fun.

Marc - 9-24-2016 at 05:58 PM

The rule is:
if you have it they will not ask for it.
If you don't have it they will ask for it.
Same with a fishing license .

DENNIS - 9-24-2016 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
The rule is:
if you have it they will not ask for it.
If you don't have it they will ask for it.
Same with a fishing license .

Kinda like car insurance.

BigWooo - 9-24-2016 at 06:20 PM

They rarely check. I think it nearly 30 years I've been asked two or three times.

But... what most people don't think about is if, for some reason, you need to be evacuated back to the U.S. in a timely manner for some life threatening medical condition/accident, not having the proper immigration paperwork will slow down, or depending on the situation even halt the evacuation process. In a medical emergency time matters.

Just something to think about.

vandenberg - 9-24-2016 at 07:02 PM

If you get into an accident and don't have the proper papers to be in the country, it maybe an issue.
Even it may make your insurance invalid, which, if there'e substantial money involved, will likely be pursuit by the insurance company.

[Edited on 9-25-2016 by vandenberg]

lhenlex - 9-25-2016 at 12:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
If you get into an accident and don't have the proper papers to be in the country, it maybe an issue.
Even it may make your insurance invalid, which, if there'e substantial money involved, will likely be pursuit by the insurance company.

My husband is a mexican citizen. I will get the tourist permit. But my 9 yr old son can't because his passport expired. But he goes to school in Tijuana so we're just gonna bring his school ID. Hope that works...

mtgoat666 - 9-25-2016 at 06:22 AM

My husband is a mexican citizen. I will get the tourist permit. But my 9 yr old son can't because his passport expired. But he goes to school in Tijuana so we're just gonna bring his school ID. Hope that works...

It seems a bit odd that your son is in Mexico everyday for school without visa, but you are concerned he needs a visa to travel within Mexico?

BajaMama - 9-25-2016 at 07:45 AM

Make sure you have your son's birth certificate to enter back into the USA. They cannot deny entry to a US citizen but I assume you have to prove it!

DENNIS - 9-25-2016 at 07:54 AM

Actually, they can do just about anything they want to do at the moment. The border zone is a good place to bite your tongue, grin and bear it, and move on. Just consider it a ten minute visit to the dentist.

lhenlex - 9-25-2016 at 08:48 AM

It seems a bit odd that your son is in Mexico everyday for school without visa, but you are concerned he needs a visa to travel within Mexico?

we live 5 mins from the border TJ side..for some reason going further than Rosarito requires the tourist permit or ffm..i only found out about this when I started researching about driving to Cabos.

David K - 9-25-2016 at 08:57 AM

THAT HAS CHANGED!
There is no longer a "Border zone" where tourist cards are not needed... and that was ONLY if you Mexico stay was no more than 3 days!

bajatrailrider - 9-25-2016 at 09:09 AM

The last two times we passed the mid way point,we did in fact have permits. We where on motos we all pulled out our permits to show. He would not even look. Told us keep going.

Sweetwater - 9-25-2016 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
The last two times we passed the mid way point,we did in fact have permits. We where on motos we all pulled out our permits to show. He would not even look. Told us keep going.

I was part of a chase crew and we were supposed to have FMM's issued by SCORE, typical of them those were delayed so we got pulled over, fined, passports confiscated and lost a full day of prerunning. It's hit and miss but I've never gone back without crossing all the T's and dotting the i's. I think Mulegena is correct, we're foreigners and should play by the rules where we visit whether it's expedient or not.

SFandH - 9-25-2016 at 09:52 AM

I will get the tourist permit. But my 9 yr old son can't because his passport expired.

I bet if you go to the FMM office with the expired passport they either won't notice it's expired or won't care. Just keep mum and act surprised if they say something.

Afterall, it is a US passport. You don't lose citizenship when it expires.

Give it a try.

lhenlex - 9-25-2016 at 10:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

I will get the tourist permit. But my 9 yr old son can't because his passport expired.

I bet if you go to the FMM office with the expired passport they either won't notice it's expired or won't care. Just keep mum and act surprised if they say something.

Afterall, it is a US passport. You don't lose citizenship when it expires.

Give it a try.

i will! thank you

willardguy - 9-25-2016 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

I was part of a chase crew and we were supposed to have FMM's issued by SCORE, typical of them those were delayed so we got pulled over, fined, passports confiscated and lost a full day of prerunning. It's hit and miss but I've never gone back without crossing all the T's and dotting the i's. I think Mulegena is correct, we're foreigners and should play by the rules where we visit whether it's expedient or not.

wow! what kind of fine and how did you get your passports back?

DENNIS - 9-25-2016 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
THAT HAS CHANGED!
There is no longer a "Border zone" where tourist cards are not needed... and that was ONLY if you Mexico stay was no more than 3 days!

My reference, "Border zone", was to the crossing. Anyway, the zone you allude to, David, was called the "Free zone" if I'm not mistaken.

David K - 9-25-2016 at 11:05 AM

Hi Dennis, I was responding to the OP (Ihenlex) when she said that she heard going south of Rosarito required a tourist card. Of course, we know it was Maneadero/ Punta Banda where no tourist card was needed for trips of 72 hours or less.

In either case, more than 72 hours anywhere in Mexico was the rule or (now) all trips south technically require an FMM.

The tourist card (FM-T before) was FREE from about 1962 until mid-2000. The border region did extend to San Felipe or Maneadero whereas in the rest of Mexico it extended only 20 kms. or so south of the border. In Sonora, it did go at least south to Puerto Peņasco.

The Free Zone is (or was) the area where no TIP (Temporary Import Permit $$$) is required for automobiles in Mexico. That is the entire peninsula of Baja California and in Sonora as far as Guaymas (The Sonora Free Zone).

Sweetwater - 9-25-2016 at 04:50 PM

It was back in 2009 that the chase crew had our passports confiscated until we paid the bank and showed the receipt with an FMM. Fine was $75 but went up quite a bit the next year. As I mentioned, we lost a day of prerunning since we had to go to the approved bank to get receipts and FMM receipts after we made payment.

[Edited on 9-25-2016 by Sweetwater]

sancho - 9-25-2016 at 09:15 PM

The 'Border Zone/Free Zone' were often used interchangeably.
I have tried to explain to some aquaintances the change of
last Oct. that requires ALL Tourists entering TJ at SY that
technically an fmm is now required, no matter of the length
of time in Mex, my explanation is rarely paid attention too,
generally followed by the 3 day, only so. of Ensenada OLD practiced
immigration regs debate, with an occasional 'know it all SOB', (not so. of the border'). I imagine crossers driving into TJ
that get fmm's are in the low double didgits, if that.
To further confuse things, I
understand one can cross over for the day in at least
Mexicali without needing an fmm, maybe other POE. Hasn't
always been so, but I go out of my way to comply with
everything Mex Authorities require

Mulegena - 9-25-2016 at 10:26 PM

Because both the poster and her US-born son live in Mexico they should both have residency visas.

Here's the law and means to obtain visas and/or citizenship based on relationship to a Mexican citizen: http://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/cambio-a-residente-temporal...

and: http://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/solicitud-de-carta-de-natur...

SFandH - 9-26-2016 at 08:30 AM

Got my 6 month FMM yesterday for the upcoming winter in BCS. 8 AM San Ysidro. Parked to the far right before the gates. No wait, I was the only person. First the IMN office where the agent copied info to the FMM form from my passport card. Then to the bank across the hall, $20.21. Back to the IMN office with bank receipt for the stamp. 5 to 10 minutes total.

All set to take off in a few weeks. :bounce: