BajaNomad

Passport Stamps and Immigration

DBoisclair - 9-25-2016 at 08:11 AM

I'm an experienced traveler in Mexico and driving down isn't a problem. We usually cross at Nogales on our way to Colima. In January though, I'm riding my motorcycle down the Baja and I'm curious about getting my passport stamped. When we cross at Nogales the customs/immigration stop is approx 20 klm south. Is it the same when crossing at Mexicali?

Our plan is to cross at Mexicali, take 2D west until we hit the Hwy 3 junction, and then go south on 3 to Ensenada. Can we get our immigration certificate and our passports stamped at the border or is it somewhere else?

Thx very much

Dale

David K - 9-25-2016 at 09:06 AM

Hi Dale,
You will need to stop just inside Mexico's border at the INM office.
In Mexicali (west) border, it is on your left immediately after you enter Mexico. A white building. If you use another border, they are always just inside the crossing and labeled "INM". Walk in with your passport and money... bring a pen if they are busy.

Once you leave the border, there is no other legal place to get the tourist card (not just stamp in passport) without paying a fine.

PaulW - 9-25-2016 at 09:07 AM

Stop at immigration at the border and purchase the FMM. Valid passport is required. They will not stamp the PP
The only place you can get the FMM is at the border. Not possible at the immigration check point.

David K - 9-25-2016 at 09:12 AM

They have stamped my passport each tiime (three trips with the new passport I got this year)... but the red ink is so faint, you can barely see it.

sancho - 9-25-2016 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
They have stamped my passport each tiime (three trips with the new passport I got this year)... but the red ink is so faint, you can barely see it.

That has been my experience when crossing Mexicali West, they
stamp passport books, it appears different Imm offices have
particular ways of doing things. As reported, the ink is so faint
no one could never read it. Can't imagine it matters, they
can't stamp a passport card. I being uptight about Mex Imm,
I return fmm's and they stamp the Passport again, I know,
unnecessary

David K - 9-25-2016 at 03:13 PM

Right, returning is only required for the free 7 day FMM... and for that one they do run the passport through the scanner going in and again going out! No scanning for the pay 180 day FMM.

[Edited on 9-25-2016 by David K]