BajaNomad

TIP to bring a boat home?

brewer - 9-29-2016 at 08:50 AM

Do I need a temporary import permit to bring a boat back to the states? Do they ever ask for one at the checkpoints? I bought a boat down here years ago and finally registered it my name and want to bring it to fish San Diego. Any info would be appreciated. It's coming from Gonzaga.

Martyman - 9-29-2016 at 09:00 AM

TIP's are cheap and you can get one online (without the boat). I'd do it to avoid possible hassles.

SFandH - 9-29-2016 at 09:03 AM

I used to trailer a boat around baja, through checkpoints. Never got asked for a TIP. Those guys are focused upon finding contraband. Although, I have heard about immigration guys at the checkpoint near San Felipe looking for tourist cards. Never heard about customs issues, which is what a TIP is, coming up at the military checkpoints.

And at the border, American officials could care less about Mexican documents.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Perhaps others know more.

rts551 - 9-29-2016 at 09:07 AM

The only place I have been asked for a TIP is at a launch/retrieve spot.

brewer - 9-29-2016 at 09:52 AM

Ok thanks. I might just go it. I'd like to hear more input too. I would have got one on the way down from Discover Baja, but it takes them 7-10 days

DaliDali - 9-29-2016 at 10:41 AM

The USA does not require a TIP, as does Mx.

There are no regulations concerning this.
If asked, show the documents you have with your name on it.
If you were to "domicile" that boat in the US, then yes, you have to register it in the state where it lives.

Army checkpoints "may" ask to see the documents. They are not the enforcement arm of Aduana nor the Migra nor the "hacienda" or any other boating/fishing enforcement arm. Caveat to this if you had 3 tons of Totuava, on ice and in a hold, all bets are off.

As long as the boat is currently registered, no matter what country, you can legally use that boat in USA waters.

Many foreign registered boats ply the waters in and surrounding USA waters without incident every day.

woody with a view - 9-29-2016 at 12:04 PM

Here's the deal. Going north nobody in either country cares. Next time you head south you'll need one if boat is over 15'. Headed south you should go through Otay. TJ may send you back to Otay so just go that way. The motor serial number must match what's on the TIP as well.

gallesram - 9-29-2016 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Here's the deal. Going north nobody in either country cares. Next time you head south you'll need one if boat is over 15'. Headed south you should go through Otay. TJ may send you back to Otay so just go that way. The motor serial number must match what's on the TIP as well.

This has been my experience as well; I got a TIP in 2010 and my boat has gone up to the US twice since then for servicing (she now lives in Mulege year-round). I have crossed both times at TJ without a problem but they did want to see my TIP and my CA registration (that's where the boat is registered). Getting the TIP online is pretty easy through Banjercito.

TIPS

chatolj - 9-29-2016 at 05:21 PM

Has anyone out there actually (first hand) redone their TIP on line after the initial 10 year period expired?? I have been told by Aduana that the vessel needs to be inspected before a new TIP is given. Thanks

Tip

jkruk - 9-29-2016 at 06:53 PM

Just purchased a boat. What is process for obtaining a tip? Internet/at border?

gallesram - 9-30-2016 at 07:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jkruk  
Just purchased a boat. What is process for obtaining a tip? Internet/at border?

You can get your TIP online here:

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/

It's pretty easy; they will send you the sticker and it's good for 10 years and includes multiple entries from the US.

Don't know about the inspection mentioned above; they didn't inspect my boat when I got the original TIP so not sure why they would do so when my current TIP expires. My plan is to just buy another one for 10 years. If anyone has had experience with an inspection requirement I'd like to know about that too.

Martyman - 9-30-2016 at 08:13 AM

On-line it was very fast. Around 48hrs

ncampion - 9-30-2016 at 09:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

This brings up a related question. I have a TIP for my Tin boat,and a couple of years ago the motor was stolen off the transom. What you say, that never happens in Mexico. I bought down a replacement motor but the TIP still has the old serial number. Anyone know how to get it changed?

chatolj - 10-1-2016 at 08:39 AM

The whole idea behind the TIP (i believe) is Mex wants tax money on items brought down and sold. If all serial numbers - Boat/motor/trailer don't match up, the question will be asked "where is the motor".
I replaced a trailer on my rig and could not get a new TIP until i provided aduana a DMV report of trailer disposal. So you might need a police report of the stolen motor in order to remove old serial number and get a new TIP with current serial number.

ncampion - 10-1-2016 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chatolj  
So you might need a police report of the stolen motor in order to remove old serial number and get a new TIP with current serial number.

I do have a police report. Think I"ll just keep the report with the TIP in case it ever comes up. Thanks

basautter - 10-3-2016 at 05:00 AM

Thanks for all the great TIPs!

[Edited on 10-3-2016 by basautter]