BajaNomad

Border Wait San Ysidro

Ateo - 10-3-2016 at 08:27 PM

Trip was great.

Waited at San Ysidro north bound for 4 hours Sunday, October 2nd.

We entered la linea at 1:30PM and got across at 5:35PM.

Just thought I'd let you know what to expect if you come back at Sunday rookie times like I recently did yesterday.

I have Sentri.

My bro had a passport.

My other bro had no passport and came across with a California ID.

No problems and no search of vehicle.

[Edited on 10-4-2016 by Ateo]

BooJumMan - 10-4-2016 at 09:19 AM

Ha... yeah.. Sunday afternoons... SY... Well, it could have been worse. My friend said he waited 8 hours a few weeks ago on a Sunday...

stiladam - 10-4-2016 at 09:47 AM

We took the risk and used the Redi lane last time with a similar clan as yours (documentation wise) on a Sunday a few weeks ago.

Luckily no issues and the agent was really cool. Wait was only about an hours at 11am

Since then I got my GE/Sentri, so I would NEVER try that again. I would take the standard lanes or let them walk across.

Udo - 10-4-2016 at 11:08 AM

If I have no SENTRI passengers, I always use OTAI Mesa because they have a drop off lane right next to the SENTRI.

I generally drive right through and pick up my passengers about 10 minutes later on the US side of the border.

DanO - 10-4-2016 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
If I have no SENTRI passengers, I always use OTAI Mesa because they have a drop off lane right next to the SENTRI.

I generally drive right through and pick up my passengers about 10 minutes later on the US side of the border.

Agree, Otay is best for this, and there's hardly ever a long wait in the pedestrian line there. In fact, I got a random secondary selection one time at Otay SENTRI, so my pedestrian passenger had to wait for me instead of the other way around.

Udo - 10-4-2016 at 11:53 AM

:bounce:

stiladam - 10-4-2016 at 11:56 AM

Wow, I wasn't aware of the drop off at Otay. That's perfect!

Thanks Udo

Ateo - 10-5-2016 at 07:33 AM

This is what I'm doing next time!!!!!!!!!

Whale-ista - 10-6-2016 at 11:06 PM

Missed the SENTRI signs in Tijuana last Friday afternoon, and wound up in the regular line for an hour, from 3-4 pm....sigh.

I realize it could have been much worse. And a few weeks ago, even the Otay SENTRI took about 40 minutes, so- you never know!

elgatoloco - 10-7-2016 at 07:41 AM

Keep in mind the "drop off' area is unofficial in the sense that you could be sanctioned by la migra de Estados Unidos if they saw you doing it. The odds are long but that is why we always kick out the passengers right before the Otay Sentri line curves to the west before straightening out. In the 10+ years we have not been caught. Yet. :saint:

Also with Sentri you are not supposed to be carrying non - Sentri peoples possessions in your vehicle. :dudette:

Quote: Originally posted by stiladam  

Wow, I wasn't aware of the drop off at Otay. That's perfect!

Thanks Udo

stiladam - 10-7-2016 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Keep in mind the "drop off' area is unofficial in the sense that you could be sanctioned by la migra de Estados Unidos if they saw you doing it. The odds are long but that is why we always kick out the passengers right before the Otay Sentri line curves to the west before straightening out. In the 10+ years we have not been caught. Yet. :saint:

Also with Sentri you are not supposed to be carrying non - Sentri peoples possessions in your vehicle. :dudette:

[/rquote]

All very good points. Thanks for addendum

Whale-ista - 10-7-2016 at 01:32 PM

Agree with using caution at Otay- I was told when I renewed SENTRI that they do not allow those drop-offs, and may use it as a reason to inspect car (or worse) if you are observed doing so.