BajaNomad

Mexico 911

PaulW - 10-6-2016 at 06:45 AM

Did anyone post this info?

Mexico’s new 911 emergency number will become operational Monday September 3 th in 16 states, replacing a similar service using 066.

The executive director of the National Public Security System (SNSP) said operators staffing the new service will have a catalogue that separates emergencies into three categories: medical, civil protection and security.

The new single emergency number, said Álvaro Vizcaíno Zamora, will allow authorities from the three levels of government to respond to any call effectively, promptly and in a coordinated manner.
Once fully operational, the 911 service will use 194 call centers located throughout the country, employing 3,000 operators and 300 supervisors in coordination with the integrated control centers of the states, known as C2, C4, or C5, explained Vizcaíno.

The new service is expected to bring reduced response times as all calls received will be automatically geo-referenced in order to connect them with their closest call center.

Having a unified number will also put a stop to duplicates and triplicates in emergency reports, as several first-response teams such as municipal police, fire department, Red Cross and Civil Protection offices often had to be contacted separately.

“With the implementation of 911 we fulfill a commitment made by President Enrique Peña Nieto, and heed the demand of the people for a quick, reliable and professional service able to respond to emergencies through a single and free-of-charge phone number,” said Vizcaíno.

Vizcaíno said emergency calls currently average 10 million a month, 90% of which are false.

Officially the new number will be written hyphenated as 9-1-1 to set it apart from a similar service in the U.S., authorities said.

The 16 states getting the service first are Baja California, Coahuila, Colima, Chiapas, Chihuahua, Durango, Guanajuato, Morelos, Nayarit, Nuevo León, Oaxaca, Quintana Roo, Sonora, Tlaxcala, Puebla and Zacatecas.

ncampion - 10-6-2016 at 07:42 AM

So does this mean that North of Guerrero Negro I dial 911 and South of GN I dial 066?

willardguy - 10-6-2016 at 07:43 AM

bunch of chatter over on talkbaja but I understood October 3rd north and January 9th bcs?

[Edited on 10-6-2016 by willardguy]

BornFisher - 10-6-2016 at 07:44 AM

The next Sept. 3rd that falls on Monday is 2018.
90% false reports? Or do they just call them false so they can ignore them?

bajaguy - 10-6-2016 at 07:49 AM

Think it was a typo......everything I have read states October 3rd

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
The next Sept. 3rd that falls on Monday is 2018.
90% false reports? Or do they just call them false so they can ignore them?

SFandH - 10-6-2016 at 08:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
So does this mean that North of Guerrero Negro I dial 911 and South of GN I dial 066?

That's what is stated, until BCS adopts the new system.

911 was just implemented in the past week in BC according to the TJ newspapers.

http://www.frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Nacional/03102...

hyphenated dialing?

John M - 10-6-2016 at 11:48 AM

Some guidance into how that would be done? 9-1-1

Or am I missing something simple?

John