BajaNomad

Loreto - Does Verizon Work?

TLBaja79 - 10-9-2016 at 10:39 AM

Hello, I think I ask this about every time I got to Loreto.
Do Verizon phones work in Loreto?
What is your experience, do you have to sign up for a Mexico plan before? Data?

Any information will be great.

In the past we have purchased a 'GoPhone' from AT&T and it works great but I'd rather use my own cell phone if it works.

Thx

Santiago - 10-9-2016 at 03:47 PM

Yes, got signals in June.

Udo - 10-10-2016 at 08:02 AM

There have been numerous reports that Verizon has the worst roaming here in Baja.

wiltonh - 10-10-2016 at 09:08 AM

A far better approach than using Verizon is to get your phone unlocked before you leave the states and then purchase a SIM from Telcel. Here is a link that discusses that:

http://windsurf.mediaforte.com/Baja/Telcel_Info.html

Here is some updated information from 2016.

http://windsurf.mediaforte.com/Baja/Telcel_2016.html

Bajazly - 10-10-2016 at 09:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TLBaja79  
Hello, I think I ask this about every time I got to Loreto.
Do Verizon phones work in Loreto?
What is your experience, do you have to sign up for a Mexico plan before? Data?

Any information will be great.

In the past we have purchased a 'GoPhone' from AT&T and it works great but I'd rather use my own cell phone if it works.

Thx

Mine works fine anywhere there is a signal. Even able to stream Pandora.

BajaBill74 - 10-10-2016 at 01:05 PM

Check your settings. Do you have roaming turned off? My USA Verizon even works in little ol' Mulege. As I recall it costs about a dollar a minute.

baja Steve - 10-10-2016 at 01:16 PM

Mine worked great last fall and winter anyplace my mex cell worked

joel - 10-12-2016 at 08:36 AM

I have free Mexico roaming for voice and DATA on Verizon. It's been great for me in Loreto.

BooJumMan - 10-12-2016 at 09:33 PM

The new Verizon plans (as of a few months ago) come with free Mexico roaming. The plans essentially bills you the same way as if you were in the states. So unlimited talk and text, and however data you've purchased. I haven't tested it further than Ensenada since I've switched, so I don't know about Loreto.

You need to have a global phone, and make sure the settings are correct while in MX.

joel - 10-12-2016 at 10:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by joel  
I have free Mexico roaming for voice and DATA on Verizon. It's been great for me in Loreto.

Are you on a monthly plan, or prepay?

I'm on a monthly plan, and it requires one of their larger packages. If you share your plan among multiple users it's relatively easy to justify the larger plan. The free roaming in Mexico, using your U.S. allowance, is an excellent deal for regular visitors to Mexico.

BooJumMan - 10-13-2016 at 06:42 AM

Yep, sorry, Joel is correct, you need one of the larger packages for it to be full on "included". However they have made it easier to setup smaller packages while visiting through the website.