BajaNomad

Need info

boe4fun - 10-12-2016 at 07:14 PM

Hola Nomads, We'll be going down the Cortez side for a change of pace. Any recommendations for a pet friendly hotel, preferably in Puertecitos, but San Felipe OK as well. We'll need two rooms, and have two small dogs. Probably for October 26th. Also what are the drive times from SF to Bahia Asuncion, or Puertecitos to BA? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

woody with a view - 10-12-2016 at 08:12 PM

Its basically the same as the 1. Different views but not much change in hours.

rhintransit - 10-12-2016 at 08:35 PM

there are no hotels in Puertocitos.
stayed at El Capitan recently in San Felipe. clean, basic, just off the malecon. I heard a dog barking in a room so I assume pet friendly but didn't ask. rooms were 45US, cheaper with pesos.

boe4fun - 10-13-2016 at 08:34 AM

Gracias amigos!

Ateo - 10-13-2016 at 08:59 AM

Stayed in El Capitan a few times over the last 3 years and it is pet friendly and basic.

David K - 10-13-2016 at 09:10 AM

Hi Paul,

It is a very pleasant, relaxed drive compared to the madness of Hwy. 1 from the border through San Quintin.

The negatives of Hwy. 5 being the 50 old-style highway miles from San Felipe to Puertecitos which cannot be driven fast due to the sudden, steep dips (vados) in several places.

Puertecitos is on a short, paved side road... and did have rooms at one time... The tidal blended hot sulfur springs were an attraction as well as the boat launch ramp... both on the point that creates the small bay there.

The new, wider, faster highway that was started in 2007 begins at the Puertecitos junction (Km. 74.5) and 7 years later with 'blistering fast speed' has reached Gonzaga Bay (45 miles) plus 12 more towards Coco's Corner which is 10 dirt miles south of the pavement.

The views south of Puertecitos are great and they have a few wide paved pullouts. The best one being at Km. 99 where you can see all the Enchanted Islands.

The hotel at Alfonsina's on Gonzaga Bay is on a giant sand beach and the restaurant there serves great fish and shrimp dinners. A restaurant is also at Papa Fernandez' where a photo of Papa and John Wayne together is an attraction.

If you would like more, such as maps, photos, historic sites, etc., just ask!

durrelllrobert - 10-13-2016 at 09:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
there are no hotels in Puertocitos.
stayed at El Capitan recently in San Felipe. clean, basic, just off the malecon. I heard a dog barking in a room so I assume pet friendly but didn't ask. rooms were 45US, cheaper with pesos.

boe4fun - 10-13-2016 at 06:09 PM

Does anybody know if Alfonsina's is pet friendly?

rhintransit - 10-13-2016 at 07:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
Does anybody know if Alfonsina's is pet friendly? [/

Dunno...they do respond promptly to emails, see website for address. They are frequently full, last I inquired, they suggested making reservations three weeks ahead.

rts551 - 10-13-2016 at 07:32 PM

No they are not. If you do stay there, make sure you have a reservation. Although they are expensive they are the only hotel around.