BajaNomad

FMM in Baja

nothing002 - 10-16-2016 at 12:45 PM

Hi all! Question! I recently moved to Ensenada from Mexico City. I'm a gringo. I keep hearing a lot of things about FMMs. I actually stopped at the border in Tijuana to get one and the attitude of the officers seemed to be shock that anyone would actually care about obeying the rules. They sent me on without the FMM and didn't seem the slightest bit concerned. Is the FMM anything to be worried about? For instance if I go through the border checkpoint south of Ensenada? My Mexican girlfriend is actually a lot more concerned about this than I am, thinking that someday I'll get pulled over and have problems. I believe at the time being that I have a 180-day permit that I paid for with my last ticket from the US to Mexico City in August. However I've left and come back through the Tijuana border since then. Do I need an FMM on top of the permit I already have? Does anyone actually care about FMMs here anyway? :D

I also have a car that is registered in California and it is my understanding that the car itself is not a concern and I don't need any permit to drive it in BC. I'm more concerned about getting pulled over and asked about my immigration status.

Thanks for any feedback.

David K - 10-16-2016 at 01:44 PM

What permit is it that you have? Sounds like an FMM, which is a 180 tourist travel permit, now required for all Mexican travel by Americans who do not have other immigration visas or documents (such as required to live or work in Mexico, rather than just vacation there).

nothing002 - 10-16-2016 at 02:01 PM

Actually it looks like they took my FMM that I got from flying into Mexico City and I don't have a valid one. We're planning a trip south of Ensenada next week. I've tried my best to research if I'm going to have a problem, but I don't think so. Seems like a lot of people go without these cards in Baja. To be safe I think I'll get one the next time I go through the border in Tijuana. But if anybody has any other advice please let me know!

David K - 10-16-2016 at 02:23 PM

They do not take away your flying fmm until you get on a plane that is leaving Mexico. When you enter Mexico by land, you get a new and different fmm. It is good for up to 180 days. If you are in Mexico longer, maybe you are living there and should see INM about the correct visa? Walking across the border the process is unavoidable, but driving you can slip through so you need to park at the border and walk in to the INM office with your passport to get it.

nothing002 - 10-16-2016 at 02:26 PM

Yup, I'm going to stop at that office next time I go through the border and get the 180 day FMM to avoid any problems. I crossed the Tijuana border on foot and it looks like they did in fact take the FMM that I got from the plane. The one they gave me was valid for only one day, so it appears I am currently illegal! I'm not going to lose sleep over it but will definitely get this taken care of properly next time.

sancho - 10-16-2016 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nothing002  
I crossed the Tijuana border on foot and it looks like they did in fact take the FMM that I got from the plane. The one they gave me was valid for only one day, so it appears I am currently illegal! I'm not going to lose sleep over it but will definitely get this taken care of properly next time.

Walking into TJ they typically give the 7 day fmm, if one doesn't
do the 180 day fmm. Don't know currently, but in the not so
distant past, fmm's on OCCASION were issued in Ensenada, there is/was an Imm office near the shipyards in Ensenada
and 1 in the center of Ensenada. I never want to be in
Mex without proper paperwork, several travellers do not
bother with fmm's

bajaguy - 10-16-2016 at 08:23 PM

The nice folks that you meet at the border are Aduana (Customs). INM (Immigration) can be found most of the time sitting in their office. Aduana and INM usually don't talk to each other so it is no surprise that Aduana were not too interested in your immigration status

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 10-17-2016 at 05:52 AM

Hola,

welcome to baja nomad.

strange that the immigration people were basically rude.

in june and august of 2016, myself, my son and grandson crossed at the tijuana entry and walked into the newer building and were greeted by a armed guard. we asked where we could get our fmms' and were pointed to the small office where there were three people and were greeted nicely.

we showed our passports and were issued the free seven day fmm. they wished us a nice trip and we were on our way to san quintin to go fishing for two days.

we also met two gentlemen who were doing the same and they didn't have any problems either.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

David K - 10-17-2016 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT  
Hola,

welcome to baja nomad.

in june and august of 2016, myself, my son and grandson crossed at the tijuana entry and walked into the newer building and were greeted by a armed guard. we asked where we could get our fmms' and were pointed to the small office where there were three people and were greeted nicely.

we showed our passports and were issued the free seven day fmm. they wished us a nice trip and we were on our way to san quintin to go fishing for two days.

we also met two gentlemen who were doing the same and they didn't have any problems either.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

How was the return procedure for you there? The 7 Day Free FMM must be returned and they scan your passport to confirm it was returned.

rts551 - 10-17-2016 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Hola,

welcome to baja nomad.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

How was the return procedure for you there? The 7 Day Free FMM must be returned and they scan your passport to confirm it was returned.

How can that be? Where is the outgoing INM office/kiosk? or sold we have been told by the experts here.

David K - 10-17-2016 at 09:28 AM

Exactly why I want to hear from Baja.Desert.Rat...
Is the Free 7 day FMM return procedure NOT enforced at Tijuana, like it is at Mexicali (and Tecate)???

Alm - 10-17-2016 at 12:24 PM

I crossed the Tijuana border on foot and it looks like they did in fact take the FMM that I got from the plane.

Who "they"?
The only officials that you see on the way back North at the TIJ ground crossing are US border agents. They normally wouldn't take your FMM card away. They would look at it if given a chance, but they are not interested in collecting it. Must've been misplaced, or it was loose (not stapled) in the passport and they forgot to give it back to you.

There is no automatic tracking of crossing of either country nationals like there is at US/CAN border. US border agents have no idea what you were doing in Mexico and how long you have been there (if they don't see your FMM card) - so they will ask these 2 questions. They don't care about you being legally in Mex or not, as long as you are leaving peacefully, rather then kicked out of Mexico or denied entry to Mexico for some reason.

It's been like that for the last 10-12 years. This "could" have changed, but I "doubt" it changed for paid FMM (included in ticket price) that you got from the plane.

And, - your girlfriend is right being worried about FMM. Believe it or not, being a US national doesn't give you any right to enter a foreign country and/or stay there - though there can be certain agreements facilitating the crossing, visa waivers etc. Pay $25, get 180-days FMM and be done with it.
Also, it would be a good idea to consult her about your plans regarding you being here - I'm sure she has already made some. Women normally do. Not everybody is getting permanent status though, there is no rush, it seems that living there with nothing but FMM is still possible.

[Edited on 10-17-2016 by Alm]

sancho - 10-17-2016 at 01:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

How can that be? Where is the outgoing INM office/kiosk? or sold we have been told by the experts here.

Experts? One can only relate one's experience. This fmm Mex Imm has been unclear for decades, despite their attempt at
some sort of clarification. Return kiosk, never heard of such a
thing. I cross at Mexicali West, the last few times, they request/
demand the 7 day fmm be returned. There it is fairly easy
hop out of your vehicle while in line, someone else drives, walk
the 3 blks to Mex Imm, return fmm. Does it matter? There was
at least 1 tourist denied another 7 day fmm, because he hadn't
returned the previous one. The different Imm offices seem to
have varying regs, not surprising, es Mex

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 10-17-2016 at 01:44 PM

Hola david,

uh-oh !

sorry but, we didn't return north through tijuana, we crossed both times at tecate so we have no idea about your question. we still have the fmms.

by the way, in june, there was a line that took us about an hour or so. in august, there was only one car ahead of us.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

AKgringo - 10-17-2016 at 01:51 PM

" Some on else drives, walk three blocks..."

My dog has trouble working the clutch, and gets pretty distracted driving.
We're not talking about Lassie either...Go girl, turn in the FMM!. What are the other options for turning it in?

Bajazly - 10-17-2016 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
I crossed the Tijuana border on foot and it looks like they did in fact take the FMM that I got from the plane. The one they gave me was valid for only one day, so it appears I am currently illegal! I'm not going to lose sleep over it but will definitely get this taken care of properly next time.

Walking into TJ they typically give the 7 day fmm, if one doesn't
do the 180 day fmm. Don't know currently, but in the not so
distant past, fmm's on OCCASION were issued in Ensenada, there is/was an Imm office near the shipyards in Ensenada
and 1 in the center of Ensenada. I never want to be in
Mex without proper paperwork, several travellers do not
bother with fmm's

Go to the visitor center at the north end of town, kind of across from Anthonys Disco Bar and ask where the office is. It's only about a block away and they will get you the 180 day FMM. They don't do well with english, I got thru it tho, but your Mexican GF should have no problem getting you legal.

bajaguy - 10-17-2016 at 02:11 PM

Or they could fine you, or send you back to the border

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Go to the visitor center at the north end of town, kind of across from Anthonys Disco Bar and ask where the office is. It's only about a block away and they will get you the 180 day FMM. They don't do well with english, I got thru it tho, but your Mexican GF should have no problem getting you legal.

Bajazly - 10-17-2016 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Or they could fine you, or send you back to the border

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Worked great for me in June and my buddy a week later. Never any questions as to why we were there without an FMM.

David K - 10-17-2016 at 02:38 PM

Hola david,

uh-oh !

sorry but, we didn't return north through tijuana, we crossed both times at tecate so we have no idea about your question. we still have the fmms.

by the way, in june, there was a line that took us about an hour or so. in august, there was only one car ahead of us.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Hola back at you!

Sorry, somehow I was thinking Tijuana, both ways...

"in june and august of 2016, myself, my son and grandson crossed at the tijuana entry and walked into the newer building and were greeted by a armed guard. we asked where we could get our fmms' and were pointed to the small office where there were three people and were greeted nicely.

we showed our passports and were issued the free seven day fmm. they wished us a nice trip and we were on our way to san quintin to go fishing for two days."

At Tijuana going south, there was no mention that the free one had to be returned, but a pay one could be used for the full 180 days?

When we got our FREE 7 Day FMM, at Mexicali West, the officer was crystal clear that the free one must be turned back in when we leave Mexico. He scanned our passports. We did return through Tecate, parked near the Mexican entrance border, walked to INM, and they accepted the returned FMMs AND scanned our passports.

The reasoning behind returning only the free one and not the 180-day one, is they want to be sure and collect the money if you are staying longer than 7 days and not just using the free one to get past any checkpoint down the road. If you don't return the free one, the odds would be they will charge you for 180 done next time you try and get a free one.

Obviously, you said you got a free one again, just a couple months after... ??

Inconsistent rules still seem to be the case in Mexico! LOL

Alm - 10-17-2016 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
" Some on else drives, walk three blocks..."

My dog has trouble working the clutch, and gets pretty distracted driving.

Impossible indeed. They can't demand return of FMM where there is no kiosk. But for some reason they do. One of local stupidities.
So far I only heard about Tecate being possible to return it. Luckily, it's not a free FMM that the OP needs, and return of paid FMM is not enforced yet.

David K - 10-17-2016 at 04:12 PM

The return of a paid FMM USED TO BE the rule, so the new deal is NO, just throw it away at 180 days, officially.

rts551 - 10-17-2016 at 06:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

For years the experts here have said do not do it, or its impossible, or no one but themselves knows what they are talking about....even though the instruction to turn it in has been on the permit for Years. I guess now the excuse is...its too inconvenient. If it is too inconvenient folks...do not go south.

Experts? One can only relate one's experience. This fmm Mex Imm has been unclear for decades, despite their attempt at
some sort of clarification. Return kiosk, never heard of such a
thing. I cross at Mexicali West, the last few times, they request/
demand the 7 day fmm be returned. There it is fairly easy
hop out of your vehicle while in line, someone else drives, walk
the 3 blks to Mex Imm, return fmm. Does it matter? There was
at least 1 tourist denied another 7 day fmm, because he hadn't
returned the previous one. The different Imm offices seem to
have varying regs, not surprising, es Mex