BajaNomad

Cheap trailer on the beach

fishbuck - 10-17-2016 at 07:31 PM

Yes or no?

MMc - 10-17-2016 at 07:46 PM

First rule of owning something in Mexico, never purchase anything you can't walk away from. I have owned both homes and trailers, and would do it again.

woody with a view - 10-17-2016 at 07:54 PM

Nothing is cheap. That ship sailed........

del mar - 10-17-2016 at 08:03 PM

whats your idea of cheap?

gnukid - 10-17-2016 at 08:03 PM

A trailer has to be towed there and back and stored in a secure facility when not in use or it will be destroyed by vandals.

fishbuck - 10-17-2016 at 08:10 PM

So the CC and Rs of my little neighborhood allow for the lot owner to keep a trailer on the lot for 2 years while building the minimum 1000 sq ft house.
Lately, the idea of retiring soon and buying a cheap trailer or 2 and working on my lot appeals to me.
After 2 years we either have to move it or build a garage for it.
So i figure I will build the garage and keep it in there and still live in it if necessary while I build a humble casita to live in.
But I could see a month or 2 of doing nothing but sitting on the beach in my little trailer.
I think I am understanding why people do it. To escape the rat race while they still have some of their soul left.

[Edited on 10-18-2016 by fishbuck]

baronvonbob - 10-17-2016 at 09:16 PM

At whats his name in SQ

Bob and Susan - 10-18-2016 at 05:30 AM

I fought buying a trailer when we built...we had the garage...but in the end the "instant home" was needed
ac/heat clean bed shower etc

we sold it later after we finished the project

a lot of people cant get rid of them
then they have an ugly trailer outside...you need to let go

if you are going to build and stay there...buy the trailer...otherwise spend the money on a hotel while you visit

my advice...build small and you'll need a garage

mtgoat666 - 10-18-2016 at 06:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
A trailer has to be towed there and back and stored in a secure facility when not in use or it will be destroyed by vandals.

Not all 'hoods are as bad as your 'hood.

shari - 10-18-2016 at 07:03 AM

a few people I know bought a trailer to live in while they built their casitas and it was super easy to sell them after...lots of people looking for trailers if they aren't too expensive. I bought a beauty of a small trailer a few years ago and LOVE LOVE LOVE it...it's my chick room. Many have asked if i would sell it...no way.

so yeah do it man!

rhintransit - 10-18-2016 at 07:14 AM

Absolutely wish I'd bought a trailer when I had my palapa "house" on the beach. As with most building projects, it wasn't done when projected and life would have been far easier had I done so earlier. Finally bought a cheapo, good for guests, getting out of major wind, and storage. You'll have no trouble getting rid of it if you buy something inexpensive but serviceable and you don't get Baja attached to how much you think you should get for it when you sell. Say thank you, price it even cheaper and let someone else have it or haul it away for free.

norte - 10-18-2016 at 08:06 AM

What is your source of information for this area....or is this Mexico in general?

fishbuck - 10-18-2016 at 04:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

What is your source of information for this area....or is this Mexico in general?

He's not far off. Even in my little hood security is an issue.
The popular belief is that tweakers roam around looking for unattended stuff. A while back houses were getting broken into. 1 of the residents finally had to put bars on his windows.
Any unnattened/unoccupied houses were gutted litterally. Scary.
And this is a place with a fulltime caretaker/security.

fishbuck - 10-18-2016 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
a few people I know bought a trailer to live in while they built their casitas and it was super easy to sell them after...lots of people looking for trailers if they aren't too expensive. I bought a beauty of a small trailer a few years ago and LOVE LOVE LOVE it...it's my chick room. Many have asked if i would sell it...no way.

so yeah do it man!

Yeah this is kinda where I'm at. I figure after I get er done I can use the trailer for something.
Part of my fantasy is to spend time whereever the bite is on. For example, now would be a good time for Bahia Asuncion.
And then maybe south after that for a while.
Follow the fish in my little trailer.

[Edited on 10-18-2016 by fishbuck]

DENNIS - 10-18-2016 at 05:12 PM

Buy it...park it.... and take the wheels off. Call it "Anthony's South."

blackwolfmt - 10-18-2016 at 05:19 PM

Like your way of thinkin Fishbuck

buena suerte

AKgringo - 10-18-2016 at 05:27 PM

I have an older class C motor home that I have an idea of making a one way trip to Baja Sur some day. It is old, but has low miles, and responds well to very basic mechanic skills.

My Kia is already set up for towing, and if the M-H dies, I am into it at a low enough investment that I could drive off in the Kia with not much regret!

Storing it when I am up north would be better for me than buying a lot, at least until I figure out just where I want to spend some time.

BFS - 10-18-2016 at 06:08 PM

One word: yes.

My lot to a "home" in Loreto

Howard - 10-18-2016 at 06:37 PM

BEFORE PHOTO

AFTER PHOTO

That is a 35 foot 3 slide 5th wheel under my tiled roof

fishbuck - 10-18-2016 at 07:43 PM

Nice!

You got me going now and I could not help myself!

Howard - 10-19-2016 at 02:22 PM

mtgoat666 - 10-19-2016 at 03:04 PM

Fishy,
There was another thread here a couple days ago where some dude was selling an airstream in san felipe. An airstream in SQ, you might be mistaken for a hipster!

fishbuck - 10-19-2016 at 07:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Fishy,
There was another thread here a couple days ago where some dude was selling an airstream in san felipe. An airstream in SQ, you might be mistaken for a hipster!

San Quintin is a little windy sometimes so an Airstream is perfect.
I don't think there is anybody in San Q who knows what a hipster is...

fishbuck - 10-19-2016 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  

I totally "get" this and it's helping me with Ideas.

Bajaboy - 10-19-2016 at 08:12 PM

define cheap

Alm - 10-19-2016 at 08:47 PM

I don't know what you are hoping to hear from people on the subject - unspecified class, size and price range, unspecified neighborhood.

More break-ins in some areas, less in others. Little to no break-ins in very old and very small trailers - nobody needs plastic sink or cr.appy dinette table. Tow it to storage if you like, will cost you several hundred a year. Or take the wheels off. I doubt it will be "cheap". Prices here are higher than in Ca and there isn't much to choose from.

mtgoat666 - 10-19-2016 at 08:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
define cheap

the opposite of expensive

Sweatpeas - 10-19-2016 at 09:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
define cheap

the opposite of expensive

oh man!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Alm - 10-19-2016 at 09:43 PM

To my observations, traditional framed trailers don't drop below 2-3K until they are 20-25 years old, and by then it is literally falling apart. More often than not, it starts falling apart sooner yet.

After 25 years of frequent use it will look ugly (or after 15 years in wetter climate), and will only stay in one piece if not moved. This would be the kind of trailer that I wouldn't worry about when leaving unattended, but it would be scary towing something like this for hundreds miles to where I want it to be. Still, if it's big enough and neighborhood is bad enough, they might want to check what's inside - flimsy fiberglass door is a poor protection. OTH windows are safe, automotive glass, takes efforts and plenty of noise to break it.

fishbuck - 10-20-2016 at 12:36 AM

I got the idea of "cheap trailer" when I was fantasizing about how soon I could tire. I realized I could in fact maybe do it and park it on my lot.
So I went on RVTrader and found some decent looking 24 ft used trailers in the $3500 range.

shari - 10-20-2016 at 07:29 AM

my trailer is super spiffy with new tires, a large 2 way fridge(worth it's weight in gold!!!) pillowtop matress, nice stove, nice cabinet work, table that folds into a bed...top bunk that folds down from cupboards...really delux for 3 Grand!!! so they are out there.

Hey Fishbuck....we may be looking for a camp guy soon...interested? no worries about break ins in this barrio.

Fernweh - 10-20-2016 at 08:25 AM

I bought a cheap 26' trailer ($2,500), cleaned it, cleaned it, fixed up the inside, got new tires, and towed it to La Paz.
Everything worked nicely, but the fridge. Parked it at a friend's place, and lived in it for some month, while constructing my first building.
It became a guesthouse then for visitors. The roof was not good, I had fixed it a bit, but Odile and other storms took their toll. Water damage to the cabinets and so on.
Finally I gave it away to a local guy, who just loved it......have not seen it since.
Was a perfect place for the time!

fishbuck - 10-20-2016 at 01:29 PM

That's what I'm thinking right there.

fishbuck - 10-20-2016 at 01:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
my trailer is super spiffy with new tires, a large 2 way fridge(worth it's weight in gold!!!) pillowtop matress, nice stove, nice cabinet work, table that folds into a bed...top bunk that folds down from cupboards...really delux for 3 Grand!!! so they are out there.

Hey Fishbuck....we may be looking for a camp guy soon...interested? no worries about break ins in this barrio.

I'll put in my papers today!

David K - 10-20-2016 at 01:45 PM

Go for it Mike! The Asuncion airport is not far, either!

rts551 - 10-20-2016 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Airport??????

AKgringo - 10-20-2016 at 03:39 PM

A word of caution based on personal experience. Avoid any trailer that you know has been used much in northern climates.

The water vapor from cooking, cleaning and showering finds it's way into the insulated spaces, condenses,and accumulates. The framing and plywood sheathing is very likely to develop dry rot.

Propane burners just by themselves put a tremendous amount of moisture in the air!

Alm - 10-20-2016 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
That's what I'm thinking right there.

Probably. 26-28ft rig I would consider a minimum size for a single person to live semi-permanently in. Except for the last photo. In many places in Baja leaving the trailer awning up would be a very, very bad idea.

David K - 10-20-2016 at 04:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Airport??????

Yes, that word means a place where airplanes can land and take off. The Bahia Asuncion airport is even registered and legally open.

Here's a popular book from the 80's ... note the title:

and an older version of it from the 70's:

and one of the first versions of it from the 60's:

rts551 - 10-20-2016 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Airport??????

Yes, that word means a place where airplanes can land and take off. The Bahia Asuncion airport is even registered and legally open.

Here's a popular book from the 80's ... note the title:

and an older version of it from the 70's:

and one of the first versions of it from the 60's:

Your book is 30 years old... here is an updated list where Asuncion is listed as an AIRSTRIP. Same as Abreojos...they were downgraded a number of years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_Baja_Calif...

or

http://ourairports.com/countries/MX/BCS/airports.html?sort=n...

fishbuck - 10-20-2016 at 04:34 PM

Yeah the airport figures into my scheme some how. "Milk runs" to the border or something.

rts551 - 10-20-2016 at 04:56 PM

Yeah the airport figures into my scheme some how. "Milk runs" to the border or something.

Did you consider a safe place out of the weather might be required? Always an issue on the coast. In Punta Abreojos, a couple of people have had to build a hanger.

[Edited on 10-20-2016 by rts551]

Alm - 10-21-2016 at 01:22 AM

Yeah the airport figures into my scheme some how.

With 5 commercial airports in Baja (not counting TIJ) there is a definite chance that one of them will be within 200 miles from your casa.

fishbuck - 10-21-2016 at 04:19 PM

Thought some might find this interesting and explain why I am craving a cheap trailer on the beach.

[Edited on 10-21-2016 by fishbuck]

Sweatpeas - 10-21-2016 at 04:26 PM

Thought some might find this interesting and explain why I am craving a cheap trailer on the beach.

[Edited on 10-21-2016 by fishbuck]

just park one of those on the beach and forget the trailer