BajaNomad

San Felipe-area Jeep recovery

Ken Cooke - 10-22-2016 at 10:48 AM

2 weeks ago, Pete and his group of Jeepers went down to San Felipe for some R&R and to run Matomi Wash and La Turquesa. I just received an update from JUST RUNS 4WD club of San Diego that his Jeep needs to be recovered, that he needs advice from people with first-hand knowledge and experience dealing with this sort of thing.

I volunteered some of my knowledge, and am eager to help out. I also want to see what went wrong onhis first group foray into THE BAJA.

Stay tuned.. :!:

mjs - 10-22-2016 at 11:07 AM

I'm in San Felipe. Let me know what he needs and maybe I can help. I have a large 4x4 pick up and a trailer. The trailer is already committed to a car going back to the States in a couple of weeks but I can unload it if he is trying to get to some place nearby.

Ken Cooke - 10-22-2016 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
I'm in San Felipe. Let me know what he needs and maybe I can help. I have a large 4x4 pick up and a trailer. The trailer is already committed to a car going back to the States in a couple of weeks but I can unload it if he is trying to get to some place nearby.

Thanks for your offer. U2U me your information and I will pass it along to Pete. He is currently in rehabilitation in San Diego and his Jeep is impounded at Coco's Corner.

Ken Cooke - 10-22-2016 at 11:14 AM

A word from Pete:

" I was last guy was following Stu who was following Steve,three things happened one lost contact with ham radio switched to portable still no contact two was doing 30 to 35 when came up to turn(to fast)all happened so fast could not make turn so my option was to go straight and down a little rocky area which we did but then we hit a larger rock which caught me under or near front axle that turned us around and then over on Johnnie's side,the next item I am not sure of was I was thrown tall over our front seating area,eithet the seat belt which was working great was not slipped in all of the way of it became defective

Within in 24 hours my life went upside down,i am in rehabilitation my spirits are good and need to heal up and will be home."

TMW - 10-22-2016 at 11:17 AM

mjs so good of you to help.

Ken as long as Coco is there the jeep will be OK until it is picked up. If Coco leaves for say the 1000 race I would get the jeep before he leaves. Things happen when Coco is not there.

Ken Cooke - 10-22-2016 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Wow, was this the group with Steve and Lili Schleif in it?

I saw the pics on their FB page and it sounds like some serious bad and then good luck combined to keep Pete from being paralyzed.

Good luck and good health.

Here's the last part of Pete's email

"Thanks Erick,melanie Steve stu john and Lillian for getting me home safely."

mtgoat666 - 10-22-2016 at 12:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
2 weeks ago, Pete and his group of Jeepers went down to San Felipe for some R&R and to run Matomi Wash and La Turquesa. I just received an update from JUST RUNS 4WD club of San Diego that his Jeep needs to be recovered, that he needs advice from people with first-hand knowledge and experience dealing with this sort of thing.

If jeep rolled, probably not driveable? Best bet is to put it on a flat bed or trailer and tow it home. Insurance typically does not pay for off-roading damage, so likely not worth filing a claim.

Ken Cooke - 10-22-2016 at 12:29 PM

Pictures show the Jeep indeed undriveable. Rolled off of a main road at MX-6.

mtgoat666 - 10-22-2016 at 12:32 PM

Pictures?
If pics are in this thread, they are invisible on an iPad screen.

Thanks.

For MTG666 I'm gonna go out on a limb and say from the pics that thing needs trailering home.... for sure at least one new tire if not and some body parts removals!

Wow, was this the group with Steve and Lili Schleif in it?

I saw the pics on their FB page and it sounds like some serious bad and then good luck combined to keep Pete from being paralyzed.

Good luck and good health.

Here's the last part of Pete's email

"Thanks Erick,melanie Steve stu john and Lillian for getting me home safely."

Ken Cooke - 10-22-2016 at 12:43 PM

desertcpl - 10-22-2016 at 01:03 PM

ouch

motoged - 10-22-2016 at 01:27 PM

Bummer.....my experience w/ riding motos in Baja is that speed in corners is often risky....but going over a small hill/rise in a road is frequently met with a gully washout ravine, a few burros, or some such obstacle that is a "Holy Shyt" moment....

I won't say anything about issues with silt beds.

Glad the folks weren't injured too badly....hope their health recovery is speedy....

mjs - 10-22-2016 at 01:30 PM

Likely totaled. He should contact the insurance company if he has Mexico full coverage. They will want to investigate / document the claim. Even if he has Mexico insurance there will be NO coverage once the jeep leaves mexico.

If he doesn't have full coverage then he'll have other decisions to make. Almost all of which will effect his wallet. Good news is that he is recovering and metal can always be replaced.

willardguy - 10-22-2016 at 01:33 PM

looks like the cage did its job! :yes:

mtgoat666 - 10-22-2016 at 01:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
looks like the cage did its job! :yes:

Cage needed. Those lifted jeeps are tippy, not too safe on roads, as sharp turns and bumps can flip 'em.

Ken Cooke - 10-22-2016 at 02:02 PM

I tried contacting Pete, but he must be taking a nap or something. His phone number attached to his JustRuns email posts is not functioning, so I will have to wait for him to respond to my email messages.

PaulW - 10-22-2016 at 03:05 PM

=====
Ken, What/where is MX-6? Maybe just a typo.
Are you all aware we have a S&R group for the SF area?.

Ken Cooke - 10-22-2016 at 04:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

=====
Ken, What/where is MX-6? Maybe just a typo.
Are you all aware we have a S&R group for the SF area?.

MX-5 - Was thinking about the shocks on my Jeep.

I didn't know that you have a S&R group. I'm going to try and reach Pete. If not via email, I will just send him a letter! Maybe Soulpatch can help contact some of Petes friends since they will need to also help.

Vehicle impound photo (earlier today)

Ken Cooke - 10-22-2016 at 09:26 PM

[Edited on 10-23-2016 by Ken Cooke]

Paul W -- Check your U2U!

Ken Cooke - 10-22-2016 at 10:04 PM

Vehicle impound?

AKgringo - 10-22-2016 at 10:11 PM

I hope you meant vehicle storage area! Impound has such an ugly connotation. You know....investigations, fines, red tape to fight through, or so I have been told!

N2Baja - 10-23-2016 at 03:50 AM

Hello All,

The group was staying at my house when Pete rolled his jeep. I wasn't on the run (was waiting for water delivery at the house). Pete received serious injuries, but it could have been so much worse. From what I understand the jeep is not driveable.

Ken, I'm a new member of JustRuns, and If I can be of any help in recovering the jeep, please let me know. You're welcome to stay at my place while you're down there. Just let me know so I can make arrangements to go with you.

I was told once that of all the things you take with you off road, the best thing you can take is good people. Steve and Lillian went above and beyond in getting Pete across the border to the hospital. Steve and Lillian are Good People!

Thanks also should go to Stu and John and Eric for recovering as much of Pete's belongings and things from the jeep as possible.

I've told Pete we'll get him down to Baja again as soon as he's ready. The accident happened on the second day of the trip, so we didn't get to Matomi or any of the other runs we'd talked about.

mjs - 10-23-2016 at 09:18 AM

I talked with Steve last night. He has a flatbed trailer and can get the jeep. He just needs to confirm it is still there before making the trip. Apparently in the heat of the moment there was bit of an argument with Coco and the tow truck driver over $.

As I understand it, the driver wanted to start stripping the jeep for payment and Coco wants some cash for storage. Between the two it was more than the group had on them and their first interest would have obviously been getting medical attention for the driver.

I'll make a trip to Coco's in the next couple of days and get some idea of the condition of the jeep. Or if someone drives by before then and can take a look to see if the jeep has been stripped.

mtgoat666 - 10-23-2016 at 09:25 AM

Apparently in the heat of the moment there was bit of an argument with Coco and the tow truck driver over $.

As I understand it, the driver wanted to start stripping the jeep for payment and Coco wants some cash for storage. Between the two it was more than the group had on them and their first interest would have obviously been getting medical attention for the driver.

Understandable that tow truck driver wants cash at time of tow. That's fair.

Coco demanding storage fee up front is crappy. Isn't this the same guy that begs for and gets freebies from all the off-roading coco fan boys? He sounds like a jerk.

[Edited on 10-23-2016 by mtgoat666]

Ken Cooke - 10-23-2016 at 10:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by N2Baja  

Ken, I'm a new member of JustRuns, and If I can be of any help in recovering the jeep, please let me know. You're welcome to stay at my place while you're down there. Just let me know so I can make arrangements to go with you.

Thank you, N2Baja for the kind invitation to use your home as a potential base of operations. I will be working all week, but I am available on weekends with a holiday weekend coming up in early November for Veterans day.

I am eager to see what Marks status report turns up from Coco's Impound Yard (pictured above). Stay tuned..

motoged - 10-23-2016 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Coco demanding storage fee up front is crappy. Isn't this the same guy that begs for and gets freebies from all the off-roading coco fan boys? He sounds like a jerk.

Goat,
I gotta disagree with you on this one....Coco doesn't beg from people....folks on-line just repeat the casual conversations had when they pass through...and they say what they observe/hear what he needs.

The panty thing can offend some....but he's not running for president....

A handful of years ago I started a thread on Adventure Rider website (moto travelling, etc.....good one) asking the riders to contribute to a fund for a new wheelchair when his second leg was removed.....within a few weeks about $7000 was donated...and forwarded to Coco.....he put the money towards a vehicle as it was more useful to him.....he never asked for the help....it was offered by folks who appreciate him and his spirit.

If he wanted a storage fee, that seems reasonable. :coolup:

Fernweh - 10-23-2016 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Goat,
I gotta disagree with you on this one....Coco doesn't beg from people....folks on-line just repeat the casual conversations had when they pass through...and they say what they observe/hear what he needs.

The panty thing can offend some....but he's not running for president....

A handful of years ago I started a thread on Adventure Rider website (moto travelling, etc.....good one) asking the riders to contribute to a fund for a new wheelchair when his second leg was removed.....within a few weeks about $7000 was donated...and forwarded to Coco.....he put the money towards a vehicle as it was more useful to him.....he never asked for the help....it was offered by folks who appreciate him and his spirit.

If he wanted a storage fee, that seems reasonable. :coolup:

I certainly agree to most of your points.

to ask for storage fees up front, is up for discussion here. Remember he has the whole wreck as collateral, in order to get his storage fee.

Sadly, even if people here do not asked for things, but do not show a real appreciation for help and effort by others - sorry that is my experience

rts551 - 10-23-2016 at 11:23 AM

Seems like an easy retrieval. Load it up on a trailer (make sure you have registration or ownership papers) and take it home....or to a Nomads house in the area.

willardguy - 10-23-2016 at 11:41 AM

whether you're a coco fan or not......interesting decision to have the jeep towed THERE? :?:

N2Baja - 10-23-2016 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
whether you're a coco fan or not......interesting decision to have the jeep towed THERE? :?:

There is more to this story with Coco, but its not my story to tell. Just know that it wasn't Pete's decision, nor the decision of any of the other people with him, to move the jeep to Coco's

LancairDriver - 10-23-2016 at 01:27 PM

Apparently in the heat of the moment there was bit of an argument with Coco and the tow truck driver over $.

He may not directly ask for all the loot hauled down for him by reading the many posts, but sure seems to know how to hint pretty strongly. How much could storage on a few feet of worthless sand be worth, particularly from someone who is in a vulnerable position? Maybe he is offering security with the storage fee?

rts551 - 10-23-2016 at 01:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

He may not directly ask for all the loot hauled down for him by reading the many posts, but sure seems to know how to hint pretty strongly. How much could storage on a few feet of worthless sand be worth, particularly from someone who is in a vulnerable position? Maybe he is offering security with the storage fee?

He saw an opportunity. This is how he makes his living. Side note... He told me many years ago the worthless sand is not really his...he is a squatter.

TMW - 10-23-2016 at 08:26 PM

That is true he does not own the land. The guy that owns the land owns all the land from Coco's to Bahia Calarmajue, maybe more.

Ken Cooke - 10-23-2016 at 09:23 PM

I think that if Steve contacted Paul W, this Jeep recovery would go more easily. I shared Pauls phone number with Lillian via Facebook. I will be at work tomorrow, so I will be unable to check in frequently.

mtgoat666 - 10-23-2016 at 09:30 PM

Steve Schlief tried to register but he is having issues.
He and Lillian reached out to me to post this here.

He asked that I post his number and, if anyone is in a position to help, give him a call.(760) 855-8553

Apparrently part of the issue was Coco wanted $300USD and they didn't have that on them after other expenses necessary to get Pete to the border.

The insurance was asking for the tow to Mexicali but, somehow, it ended up at Coco's.

Anyway, there is more to the story but the bottom line is they want to get the jeep home.

Ken,
Your requests are cryptic. What help are you asking for? Suggest you be direct. If you want someone to to go tow it to a particular location in so cal, then say so. If you want money so you can hire a tow truck and pay storage fee, then say so.

$300 storage fee is awfully high for short term. That's maybe about right for an annual storage fee, if secure storage.
Coco sounds like a jerk - after all the freebies he sucks up from you off roaders, he wants storage fees for that pitiful piece of remote desert after someone is injured and has to bug out quick?

PaulW - 10-23-2016 at 09:31 PM

To late to call tonight. I will call Steve tomorrow.
Thanks Ken & Frank Got your messages

Ken Cooke - 10-24-2016 at 05:52 AM

Good luck, Paul!

mtgoat666 - 10-24-2016 at 09:07 AM

Word is that Coco lightened the jeep significantly.
They will know to what extent later today.
I won't pass on anything other than facts once I talk with Steve and I get the entire story.
He wants the $300 for dragging it 30 miles there.
Never a dull moment.

A legless vulture, eh?

willardguy - 10-24-2016 at 09:35 AM

I won't pass on anything other than facts once I talk with Steve and I get the entire story.
Never a dull moment.

thats alot of cat food! :yes:

rts551 - 10-24-2016 at 12:09 PM

Never a dull moment.[/rquote

That is criminal.

norte - 10-24-2016 at 12:35 PM

Where is all his supporters? David K? Maybe they can help get the stuff back.I always thought it was weird that people would have their wives or girlfriends donate their underwear (while he is watching them disrobe with glistening eyes). Reminds of something Trump would do. Now he strips some poor guys car who had to leave it in an emergency. I hope people rethink their support for him.

bajatrailrider - 10-24-2016 at 12:35 PM

This is sad to hear about Coco he has always been good to us. If in fact the jeep in his care and he removed parts. Then you owe him not one dime. Take your jeep without payment nobody to stop you.

motoged - 10-24-2016 at 12:41 PM

I am a Coco supporter....a bit surprised with the allegations....did Coco do it or what? I will wait to hear the story after the dust settles.

willardguy - 10-24-2016 at 12:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
This is sad to hear about Coco he has always been good to us. If in fact the jeep in his care and he removed parts. Then you owe him not one dime. Take your jeep without payment nobody to stop you.

heck even I could outrun coco!

LancairDriver - 10-24-2016 at 12:47 PM

If it seems Coco is in fact showing a lack of appreciation for all the off-road community has done for him, maybe a sanction cutting off any more delivery of panties to him would be in order?

Steve & Lillian - 10-24-2016 at 09:12 PM

Jeep recovery update. First off thank you to the guys helping with Petes jeep recovery. This site is awesome, I should've posted on here right away... Anyways the latest is that mark is going to Coco's tomorrow with a flatbed to get the jeep and I will pick it up from his place on Thursday. It sounds like some of the guys that know coco have reached out to him and he may not charge the $300, we'll see. And by the way, I'm Steve, I was on the Baja trip with Pete when he crashed, hello everyone. Thanks again Mark, it really makes it easier for me picking the jeep up at your place. Now it will be just one long day driving instead of a two dayer. Pete is an awesome guy and I'm quite sure he would do anything he could to help someone in a time of need like this, I hope you guys get the chance to meet him. Thanks. Steve.

Steve & Lillian - 10-25-2016 at 06:39 AM

Yes Thank you Mark for helping out :) We only met Pete the night before the accident and already seems like we knew him a life time.
Marks help will give us a 10 hrs drive pulling a flat bed to & from instead of approximately 14 hrs.....
Stu & Eric left the seen by dark, while we drove Pete to El Centro Reginal Hospital where they life flighted him to UC Trouna Center, than we drove back to km 47.5 where Melanie had openned her house/property for us is to camp. (Just about 12 km before Cow Patties)
Stu & Eric only saw 1 car go by the seen on that road back from Playa Calamujue & they were a couple American kayakers in a small car. (Playa Calamujue had abandant fisher's huts) Eric & Stu told Coco about the accident on their way back to Melanie's & told him that they were coming back for the jeep 1st thing am which they did only to see the jeep gone & dragged to Coco's place. Coco was claiming that Stu told Coco he can have the jeep, which didn't make sense since they told him they were coming back for the jeep the next morning? Coco claims he & a friend drove & dragged the jeep to his place in the middle of the night. Which would of helped if the jeep wasn't tripped, the spare tire & battery were gone as well. Coco claimed him & his friend drove it part of the way so proves the battery was still there. After waiting for 7 hrs for the tow truck to show up, which was included in his ACE Seguros Liability coverage. Tow guy showed up with a beat down regular tow truck coming from Aregro Negro, not a flat bed which I verified several times to them & they didn't even know of a yard in Mexicali to tow it to? So at this point we had to leave the jeep with Coco & told him we were coming back for the jeep. I know he doesn't have much control in his area since he is disabled, so will see what is left. I did see that the jeep was moved to the far side of his property, not next to his building when we left on Friday, October 14th
Wasn't sure how to post the picture of the jeep being parked next to his house though :(
Thank you everyone, we learned a lot on this trip, especially finding out what company will tow to a Mexicali yard or across the border.
Lillian

rhintransit - 10-25-2016 at 07:00 AM

I passed through Coco's Corner for the first time this year, in all my years as a Nomad I'd never driven Mex 5. from previous posts about the place and the guy, I'd sort of formed an opinion on Coco before meeting him. in person, that opinion changed. I have been following this post, and will continue to follow it to it's conclusion, before sharing it.

[Edited on 10-25-2016 by rhintransit]

rts551 - 10-25-2016 at 09:03 AM

He has a lot of control over his area as long as he is there. It is fenced. We will see what is left. Interesting he claims the jeep was given to him. Although he does not always show it, he understands English quiet well.

willardguy - 10-25-2016 at 09:45 AM

so how's pete doing???

double check those seat belts folks! ;)

mtgoat666 - 10-25-2016 at 09:48 AM

The Coco corner scene reminds me of Mad Max movies: a toothless, crippled, crude, scavenger vulture with borderline morals and ethics living in desolate desert wasteland, decorating his lean-to and yard with discarded panties and scrap metal, frequently visited by scruffy overweight desert-warrior(-wanna-bes) on over-amped motorbikes, dressed in boots/helmets/leather/armor, stopping to drink beer, fart, spit, and ogle the pinup posters and panties collections :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 10-25-2016 by mtgoat666]

motoged - 10-25-2016 at 09:57 AM

....and.....?

ehall - 10-25-2016 at 10:00 AM

The Coco corner scene reminds me of Mad Max movies: a toothless, crippled, crude, scavenger vulture with borderline morals and ethics living in desolate desert wasteland, decorating his lean-to and yard with discarded panties and scrap metal, frequently visited by scruffy overweight desert-warrior(-wanna-bes) on over-amped motorbikes, dressed in boots/helmets/leather/armor, stopping to drink beer, fart, spit, and ogle the pinup posters and panties collections :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Damn. You nailed it. Sounds exactly like us.

DawnPatrol - 10-25-2016 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Damn. You nailed it. Sounds exactly like us.

Damn, never been there but now I wanna go !

willardguy - 10-25-2016 at 10:40 AM

change the name of hwy5 to Fury Road!:P

bezzell - 10-25-2016 at 10:54 AM

overweight desert-warrior(-wanna-bes)

:lol::lol: you certainly nailed the Nomad contingent(sp) !

weebray - 10-25-2016 at 03:52 PM

Jeeps---personally I never get near them, something may fall off and hurt me. J stands for junk, it always has. You will always find a Jeep in a list of most unreliable vehicles. If you do plan to actually drive one make sure it has a six point harness and a NASCAR roll cage.

carlosg - 10-25-2016 at 05:18 PM

Talk about hijacking...

... not be a pendejo over this.

...This was an interesting thread.

And still is... just grow out of it and let the thread flow....;)

mjs - 10-25-2016 at 05:28 PM

Jeep has been recovered from Coco's and is in my possession. Steve will get it Thursday and trailer it back to the USA.

rts551 - 10-25-2016 at 06:13 PM

Jeep has been recovered from Coco's and is in my possession. Steve will get it Thursday and trailer it back to the USA.

Did you recover any missing parts as well? Pay any fees to Coco?

Ken Cooke - 10-25-2016 at 06:17 PM

Thanks for your work, Mark! It looks like Pete will get his pile of Jeep back!

Steve & Lillian - 10-25-2016 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Sure did :) Miraculously the spare tire appeared, don't think anything else did, we will see when we pick it up.....Thank you so much Mark!! We will reimburse you the 300.00 you had to give to Coco.... Steve & I will be heading down there Thurs, looking fwd in meeting you :)
Lillian

rts551 - 10-25-2016 at 06:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Steve & Lillian  

Sure did :) Miraculously the spare tire appeared, don't think anything else did, we will see when we pick it up.....Thank you so much Mark!! We will reimburse you the 300.00 you had to give to Coco.... Steve & I will be heading down there Thurs, looking fwd in meeting you :)
Lillian

$300 is steep but at least the vehicle is intact.

Steve & Lillian - 10-25-2016 at 07:02 PM

The spare tire miraculously was back in the jeep, but not sure if anything else, will see on Thurs. Yes Had to pay 300.00 to Coco :( Thanks again Mark Steve & I are looking fwd in meeting you :)
Lillian

N2Baja - 10-25-2016 at 07:33 PM

Lillian

Hey Lillian, I'm curious what CoCo said the $300 was for. Storage or stealing?

Ateo - 10-25-2016 at 07:49 PM

I was gonna say this Monday, but this is an interesting thread. :):)

Steve & Lillian - 10-25-2016 at 08:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by N2Baja  

Lillian

Hey Lillian, I'm curious what CoCo said the $300 was for. Storage or stealing?
For towing it to his place, only he knew about where is was, we left right before dark & went back 1st am. We only saw one car go by and they were 2 American kayakers in a small car. Coco & a friend drove it a bit & dragged it to his camp which proves
the battery was still in the jeep.

Ken Cooke - 10-25-2016 at 08:58 PM

It also sounds like Petes heap of a Jeep still runs!:bounce:

mjs - 10-26-2016 at 07:56 AM

As soon as I told Coco I was there for the Jeep he said wait and had his helper roll the spare tire out of his shack. Yes he wanted the $300 for recovery. He was still upset about a conversation that had taken place. I told him I was not involved and just there to get the Jeep. Once he calmed down it was all good.

He was happy to have the Jeep go and assist in the loading. Mostly by telling us how to do it. :) His helper worked with me and Coco ran his quad back and forth to get us some wood blocks. I gave his helper a $20 a bought a couple of beers from Coco.

He said that when he got to the Jeep there was someone else there who was scavenging and took off. That's where the battery went and they dragged the Jeep back with Coco's truck. I am not sure the Jeep could have been driven. Front axle and steering is bent so almost no turning ability. Not a straight body panel left. The aftermarket roll cage worked but I'm not impressed. I don't know how fast the Jeep was going when the accident happened but I don't think the cage would have held up in a high speed or multiple roll over. I'd be interested to know if Pete was wearing the stock 3-point seat belt or the race type harness when the accident happened.

Hoping Pete makes a speedy recovery. He'll have a project waiting for him when he is ready.

motoged - 10-26-2016 at 09:11 AM

As the world turns, it looks like maybe Coco wasn't stealing parts, but keeping them safe.....he is fully aware of the fact that stuff gets stolen from his place when he is away....to the point where he has had to rebuild his place as they have even stolen his wall's plywood.

The $300 is a steep retrieval and storage fee, but as a previous poster said, he will wait to hear the full story before passing judgement. While Coco may not be a saint, I have never previously heard of him being accused of theft.

willardguy - 10-26-2016 at 09:22 AM

As soon as I told Coco I was there for the Jeep he said wait and had his helper roll the spare tire out of his shack. Yes he wanted the $300 for recovery. He was still upset about a conversation that had taken place. I told him I was not involved and just there to get the Jeep. Once he calmed down it was all good.

He was happy to have the Jeep go and assist in the loading. Mostly by telling us how to do it. :) His helper worked with me and Coco ran his quad back and forth to get us some wood blocks. I gave his helper a $20 a bought a couple of beers from Coco.

He said that when he got to the Jeep there was someone else there who was scavenging and took off. That's where the battery went and they dragged the Jeep back with Coco's truck. I am not sure the Jeep could have been driven. Front axle and steering is bent so almost no turning ability. Not a straight body panel left. The aftermarket roll cage worked but I'm not impressed. I don't know how fast the Jeep was going when the accident happened but I don't think the cage would have held up in a high speed or multiple roll over. I'd be interested to know if Pete was wearing the stock 3-point seat belt or the race type harness when the accident happened.

Hoping Pete makes a speedy recovery. He'll have a project waiting for him when he is ready.

this from pete "I am not sure of was I was thrown tall over our front seating area,eithet the seat belt which was working great was not slipped in all of the way of it became defective"

that was from the first page,pete was pretty banged up but sounds like some kind of seat belt failure?

mjs - 10-26-2016 at 09:39 AM

The Jeep was equipped with the stock 3-point seat belts and 4-point racing type belts. I can see where it would be possible to slip out of the shoulder part of a stock belt. Harder to do that with a race type harness. The cage has been pushed down into the top of the seats and has even deformed the driver headrest. So there may be more to Pete's injuries than just a seatbelt issue.

I wasn't there and don't know all the facts so I am going to stop speculating and posting. I've probably said to much already. The story is someone else's to tell if and when they decide to do so.

rts551 - 10-26-2016 at 09:49 AM

Sounds like it went over a lot harder than 30mph. Hope he doesn't have any lasting effects or unseen injuries.

rts551 - 10-26-2016 at 09:53 AM

The Jeep was equipped with the stock 3-point seat belts and 4-point racing type belts. I can see where it would be possible to slip out of the shoulder part of a stock belt. Harder to do that with a race type harness. The cage has been pushed down into the top of the seats and has even deformed the driver headrest. So there may be more to Pete's injuries than just a seatbelt issue.

I wasn't there and don't know all the facts so I am going to stop speculating and posting. I've probably said to much already. The story is someone else's to tell if and when they decide to do so.

Was it a roll bar or full cage?

elgatoloco - 10-26-2016 at 10:22 AM

Stopped at Cocos' Corner once about 10-12 years ago. Turned out he was in Ensenada to see doctor so never met the man. He had a caretaker/buddy watching the place so we dropped off some supplies we had for him.

It is starting to sound to me like Coco's effort to 'recover and safeguard' the wrecked vehicle may have actually saved the owner more then the $300.00 'fee'? How much does one tire/wheel for a Jeep cost? He may have kept the 'desert vultures' from completely stripping every part of any value?

:saint:

mtgoat666 - 10-26-2016 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
the 'desert vultures'

happy halloween!

[Edited on 10-26-2016 by mtgoat666]

rts551 - 10-26-2016 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBreak  
Stopped at Cocos' Corner once about 10-12 years ago. Turned out he was in Ensenada to see doctor so never met the man. He had a caretaker/buddy watching the place so we dropped off some supplies we had for him.

It is starting to sound to me like Coco's effort to 'recover and safeguard' the wrecked vehicle may have actually saved the owner more then the $300.00 'fee'? How much does one tire/wheel for a Jeep cost? He may have kept the 'desert vultures' from completely stripping every part of any value?

Yeah, I hope that is the case. $300 would be a lot if it was just to store a vehicle briefly, but to recover a vehicle in such an isolated area is worth something. Tow trucks cost money to maintain and operate, and although $10/mile is steep for transport in most cases, it doesn't sound like a normal recovery, and I can't think of many options in the area. I recall a friend getting his truck stuck 50 miles away from town in U.S. Nat'l Forest, and I believe he spent over $1k to get it towed out of a ditch.

Sounds like the desert vultures were avoided, now if only the same could be said about the internet ones.

[Edited on 10-26-2016 by BajaBreak]

Originally reported a tow truck was on the scene (paid for by insurance). No one is talking about thqat and why it was there? Maybe Coco and the tow truck driver were arguing over the Jeep.

[Edited on 10-26-2016 by rts551]

willardguy - 10-26-2016 at 12:27 PM

Yeah, I hope that is the case. $300 would be a lot if it was just to store a vehicle briefly, but to recover a vehicle in such an isolated area is worth something. Tow trucks cost money to maintain and operate, and although $10/mile is steep for transport in most cases, it doesn't sound like a normal recovery, and I can't think of many options in the area. I recall a friend getting his truck stuck 50 miles away from town in U.S. Nat'l Forest, and I believe he spent over $1k to get it towed out of a ditch.

Sounds like the desert vultures were avoided, now if only the same could be said about the internet ones.

[Edited on 10-26-2016 by BajaBreak]

Originally reported a tow truck was on the scene (paid for by insurance). No one is talking about thqat and why it was there? Maybe Coco and the tow truck driver were arguing over the Jeep.

[Edited on 10-26-2016 by rts551]

well the way I understand it coco was under the impression that the jeep had been gifted to him.....prompting the middle of night retrieval, I can imagine the confusion on the part of the tow truck driver.....

BajaBreak - 10-26-2016 at 01:01 PM

Stu & Eric only saw 1 car go by the seen on that road back from Playa Calamujue & they were a couple American kayakers in a small car. (Playa Calamujue had abandant fisher's huts) Eric & Stu told Coco about the accident on their way back to Melanie's & told him that they were coming back for the jeep 1st thing am which they did only to see the jeep gone & dragged to Coco's place. Coco was claiming that Stu told Coco he can have the jeep, which didn't make sense since they told him they were coming back for the jeep the next morning? Coco claims he & a friend drove & dragged the jeep to his place in the middle of the night. Which would of helped if the jeep wasn't tripped, the spare tire & battery were gone as well. Coco claimed him & his friend drove it part of the way so proves the battery was still there. After waiting for 7 hrs for the tow truck to show up, which was included in his ACE Seguros Liability coverage. Tow guy showed up with a beat down regular tow truck coming from Aregro Negro, not a flat bed which I verified several times to them & they didn't even know of a yard in Mexicali to tow it to? So at this point we had to leave the jeep with Coco & told him we were coming back for the jeep. I know he doesn't have much control in his area since he is disabled, so will see what is left. I did see that the jeep was moved to the far side of his property, not next to his building when we left on Friday, October 14th

Above quote shortened from page 3.

Sounds like the insurance company's tow truck driver didn't have the right equipment, and I can see why Coco wouldn't have wanted it to get towed off his property, because he likely wouldn't have been paid for the recovery. Good chance some or all of that Jeep may have never been seen again too, had he let them take it. Sounds like it has all worked out in the end. Seems possible some loose or easily removed parts were taken off so they didn't fall off in transport or get stolen from his lot during the night? Quien sabe.

Wishing Pete a full recovery...

elgatoloco - 10-26-2016 at 01:05 PM

Wishing Pete a full recovery...

Ditto.

Ken Cooke - 10-26-2016 at 09:22 PM

Was it a roll bar or full cage?

It was the OEM-level roll bar that Jeeps come stock with. Poison Spyder, OR-Fab and many others sell weld-in kits to strengthen the stock roll bar, but a full cage is the best route to invest in.

Pete told me that his seat belt was not securely fastened, causing him to thrash around inside of his Jeep when he went down that embankment. After seeing what happened to the Jeep driver down in Baja this past weekend on Facebook, Pete got out really lucky.

MICK - 10-27-2016 at 06:34 AM

I have seen 300 tow bills for just towing a car a few miles. Off road recovery in the states cost way more. Not to mention last time I saw a tow yard the storage fees were 55 dollars per night. In Baja where things disappear off of cars within hours be thankful that he was there and recovered it.
All the smack talk about coco here and from where I sit he may have saved Pete some real money.
Of course that is what some do here. Why let facts get on the way.

motoged - 10-27-2016 at 09:13 AM

The emotions surrounding such vehicle incidents are understandable in any country or place. The material losses/damages are hard enough to deal with, but the emotional aftermath of such accidents takes a while to settle , especially with injuries experienced.

It is starting to appear that Coco isn't the villain here, but is being painted with such a brush. The accident was a result of driver error and certainly is unfortunate...

Sometimes we manage our distress by looking to find blame with others and direct our trauma towards them.

Ya take yer ride and ya take yer chances....

When I had a moto stolen a few years ago in San Felipe, it was because I didn't lock it for the 5 minutes I was in a panaderia investing in a post-taco donut....the shock was overwhelming for a few days, but with some local help (Kiki) and a flurry of reward posters brought the bike back 48 hours later the bike was returned and reward paid "no questions asked". I was very lucky as I wasn't injured in the event and got everything back without damage.....so I can't say I was dealing with the logistical challenges this fellow is experiencing.....but it cost $15,000 MP....worth every peso !

The thief was the pendejo.....I was the careless one.

KurtG - 10-27-2016 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  
I have seen 300 tow bills for just towing a car a few miles. Off road recovery in the states cost way more. Not to mention last time I saw a tow yard the storage fees were 55 dollars per night. In Baja where things disappear off of cars within hours be thankful that he was there and recovered it.
All the smack talk about coco here and from where I sit he may have saved Pete some real money.

I was surprised at the people who piled on Coco based on 2nd and 3rd hand info and the character assassination involved. Just the nature of the internet I suppose.

rts551 - 10-27-2016 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  

Fact is he was not in the USA so why compare. Fact is $300 is high for a few days in his yard. Fact is he was never asked to recover the Jeep. Tow truck was on its way. Stick with the facts.

rts551 - 10-27-2016 at 12:35 PM

I don't think there was so much smack talk as much as there was surprise after all what people have done for Coco.

Rossman - 10-27-2016 at 01:02 PM

Took a look at the Jeep when I stopped by Coco's on Monday. Two days later I was at Rancho Grande and saw it being pulled north on a flatbed trailer. I guess all is well with the recovery anyway.

Steve has the Jeep! Currently on his way back from San Felipe

Ken Cooke - 10-27-2016 at 07:57 PM

Thank you, Mark for helping Pete get his Jeep back!! I can't wait to hear the story!!:bounce:

pacificobob - 10-28-2016 at 07:04 AM

just my 2cents. over the years i have stopped at cocos maybe 20 times. just the usual stop one makes there: 2 beers,bs with coco& any other riders who my be there. leave a good, but not stupid tip, and ride off. there was one occasion when we had a problem with my buddys husky. long story short coco scavenged what we needed from the junk he had laying around. all help, no mention of compensation.

KurtG - 10-28-2016 at 07:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  

I was surprised at the people who piled on Coco based on 2nd and 3rd hand info and the character assassination involved. Just the nature of the internet I suppose.

Nature of the medium? How about of the individuals who use it. :light:

I think that was my point, just phrased differently.

Steve & Lillian - 10-28-2016 at 08:13 PM

All went well after a long road trip we left SD at 10:00am & back home safely at 3:00 am this morning...Thanks Mark for helping us shortening our trip. Thank you everyone for pulling together....

Ken Cooke - 10-28-2016 at 08:21 PM

N2Baja - 10-29-2016 at 05:06 AM

Yay!! Way to go Steve and Lillian and everyone who stepped up and helped out!!:bounce:

Ken Cooke - 10-29-2016 at 09:42 AM

Pete wanted to thank Steve, Lillian and Mark for their work in returning his Jeep. He was in disbelief when he got the phone call from Steve that his Jeep had been returned.