BajaNomad

Hotel recommendations Ensenada

John M - 10-27-2016 at 09:08 PM

Between Christmas & New Years - We've sort of recently stayed at Estero Beach, Corona, Ensenada Inn - There are two a bit north of town, one - can't recall the name but it's kinda pricey (for us) at $180/night. Both Estero & Corona were nice - but we'd like to stay somewhere else. Ideas?

John

Ken Bondy - 10-28-2016 at 05:46 AM

Las Rosas north of town is nice. An old favorite, also north, is Quintas Papagayo but I don't know if it's still in business.

BigBearRider - 10-28-2016 at 06:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
Between Christmas & New Years - We've sort of recently stayed at Estero Beach, Corona, Ensenada Inn - There are two a bit north of town, one - can't recall the name but it's kinda pricey (for us) at $180/night. Both Estero & Corona were nice - but we'd like to stay somewhere else. Ideas?

John

Is the pricey one Bajamar? It looks really nice.

Quintas Papagayo is still in business, or at least as of about a month ago. Never stayed there.

(I usually stay in crappy hotels in Ensenada that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.)

DENNIS - 10-28-2016 at 07:25 AM

I don't think BajaMar has a hotel. You may be thinking of the Coral.

mtgoat666 - 10-28-2016 at 07:28 AM

Quintas Papagayo is nice. Not sure why any of you suggested it was closed. Seems to be doing fine and intending to do so in the future.

[Edited on 10-28-2016 by mtgoat666]

Looks as though Quintas Papagayo

John M - 10-28-2016 at 07:39 AM

Looks decent and we like being away from downtown, yet close enough. Some of the horrid reviews are from a couple of years ago, and the better reviews are much more recent. I was a little taken back by what seems to be pretty inexpensive rooms with such a nice look to the total property. We expecially like the references to the place being relaxing and quiet - hope that's not because no one stays there!

We had checked Bajamar and it appears they do have a hotel.

Thanks

John M

Udo - 10-28-2016 at 07:40 AM

The California hotel and RV Villas is an inexpensive option. Six of their rooms are on the Ensenada waterfront, ($90 USD) and the rest of the rooms are about $40.00 USD.
Really nice restaurant across the street, and downtown Ensenada is 3 minute drive south.

David K - 10-28-2016 at 08:41 AM

Looks decent and we like being away from downtown, yet close enough. Some of the horrid reviews are from a couple of years ago, and the better reviews are much more recent. I was a little taken back by what seems to be pretty inexpensive rooms with such a nice look to the total property. We expecially like the references to the place being relaxing and quiet - hope that's not because no one stays there!

Thanks

John M

That one is (or was) owned by Walt Hussong, great-grandson of the Hussong's Cantina founder. If you were at Viva Baja 4, you met him!

Martyman - 10-28-2016 at 08:49 AM

San Nicolas or the cheaper Hotel Colon across the street.

bajaguy - 10-28-2016 at 09:21 AM

Driving from BajaMar to anyplace to do something get's old pretty quick

Thanks folks

John M - 10-28-2016 at 09:49 AM

You win the grand prize Udo - stop by and we'll buy you a beer or two - California Hotel & RV Villas it is. It'll suit us nicely, especially the ocean view room.

Thanks

John

DENNIS - 10-28-2016 at 10:21 AM

California Motel [not a hotel] is older than ancient. Stayed there forty or more years ago.
Can't believe they get 90 bucks for a unit.

By the way, the place was old 40 years ago too.

[Edited on 10-28-2016 by DENNIS]

Oh, Dennis, dennis

John M - 10-28-2016 at 10:28 AM

Especially for Dennis - This room can't possibly be 40 years old, can it? Well, it's not really a room, more of an RV rental. We like it!

TMW - 10-28-2016 at 11:14 AM

I like the San Nicolas and the Corona. I have found that if you go to the Corona's web site to book a room they want like $140 per night but if you go thru another web site for booking it runs about $75. They have the best margaritas around, maybe it's the one bartender.

sancho - 10-28-2016 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Can't believe they get 90 bucks for a unit.

I am stuck back in the day,
somewhere around '87, never can come to terms
with current prices. $90 US, in my mind, should get
one any room in Mex. Destined to keep camping
Check that, $40 should get you most rooms, $90 is
what some low wage earners in Mex get for a weeks work?
Ensenada being a tourist area I understand

[Edited on 10-28-2016 by sancho]

DENNIS - 10-28-2016 at 12:50 PM

Especially for Dennis - This room can't possibly be 40 years old, can it? Well, it's not really a room, more of an RV rental. We like it!

Moooy cool. Looks like a well cared for Open Road moho.

OK, all that work is now in the trash

John M - 10-28-2016 at 02:19 PM

UDO - you may be on thin ice for those beers!

Dennis, I can never tell whether you are serious or not! - one strike against you (and your opinion - maybe)

Martyman & BigBearRider - hmmm, BBR, just how crappy are they? Are the ceiling mirrors and rope chairs still there?

TMW - you know we value your always good judgement, but that may mean two strikes against you.

We are going to have UDO's beers now, some carne asada, a shot of Azunia Black Label Tequila - then try to make sense of it all. We do like the RV rental tho... a little cleanser around the tires and it should be good.

DENNIS - 10-28-2016 at 06:20 PM

Dennis, I can never tell whether you are serious or not! - one strike against you (and your opinion - maybe)

What's to joke about here?
Nevermind. I'll just keep to myself.

BigBearRider - 10-28-2016 at 08:09 PM

UDO - you may be on thin ice for those beers!

Martyman & BigBearRider - hmmm, BBR, just how crappy are they? Are the ceiling mirrors and rope chairs still there?

TMW - you know we value your always good judgement, but that may mean two strikes against you.

We are going to have UDO's beers now, some carne asada, a shot of Azunia Black Label Tequila - then try to make sense of it all. We do like the RV rental tho... a little cleanser around the tires and it should be good.

I'm too embarrassed to identify the hotels, but they are so crappy that I wish they had ceiling mirrors.

[Edited on 10-29-2016 by BigBearRider]

PaulW - 10-29-2016 at 01:16 PM

Stayed 3 nights at El Rey Sol this week. Rooms are remodeled TV is new. Beds are new, (bring your own pillow for comfort). Cant get closer to downtown. Around the corner we found Thrifty, great coffee shop and practically next door to the taco place. $us70 per night.

Udo - 10-30-2016 at 12:52 PM

When are you going John?
I'm about an hour away from the hotel (we stayed there many times before and always had room 16.

You win the grand prize Udo - stop by and we'll buy you a beer or two - California Hotel & RV Villas it is. It'll suit us nicely, especially the ocean view room.

Thanks

John