BajaNomad

Must have US insurance for Mex. insurance to be valid?

HCR - 11-4-2016 at 09:00 AM

Friend tells me that seller of Mexican insurance said that Mex. insurance is NOT valid in Mexico IF one's US. insurance is suspended or cancelled while out of the US.

True and correct?

Martyman - 11-4-2016 at 09:11 AM

False

US insurance for Mex ins auto

akshadow - 11-4-2016 at 09:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by HCR  
Friend tells me that seller of Mexican insurance said that Mex. insurance is NOT valid in Mexico IF one's US. insurance is suspended or cancelled while out of the US.

True and correct?

I know for my Mexican insurance for collision and comprehensive I need to identify my US insurance policy number. For the car I only have liability insurance there is no similar requirement.
I have always assumed I must keep US insurance to allow the Mex insurance to be valid. I assume so many people were trying to scam insurance companies.
Also since my insurance is identified as tourist insurance I have always assumed I could not have resident status in Mexico.

David K - 11-4-2016 at 09:39 AM

You need to contact the place you bought your policy at if it doesn't say so on the policy.

In my case, buying annual Mexican insurance for vacationing in Mexico: YES, your vehicle must already be insured in the U.S. for the type of insurance I get. It is probably a 'discounted for vacation use' insurance that mandates you can't move to Mexico and use the less expensive tourist policy. If you let your U.S. policy expire, it sure looks like you are living in Mexico and no longer on a tourist on a vacation.

sancho - 11-4-2016 at 11:03 AM

In the past, in order to get full coverage in Mex one
had to have valid full coverage in the US. I haven't seen
that requirement on the online policies from the 2 San
Diego brokers lately, it is possible I missed it. So I'm
GUESSING you MAY be able to be insured in Mex without
US Ins, but as posted you should call the broker to get
an answer

bajaguy - 11-4-2016 at 11:38 AM

South Dakota doesn't require insurance and people get Mexican insurance all the time on their SD plated cars

bajatrailrider - 11-4-2016 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
South Dakota doesn't require insurance and people get Mexican insurance all the time on their SD plated cars
This is correct On my last Mexican policy USA Ins not required. You do have to have current USA registration.

Rossman - 11-4-2016 at 03:01 PM

I do in fact maintain my California, US insurance while in Baja simply because I haven't found an easy way to get coverage in the states for the 1 or 2 months out of the year that I am in the states. CA registered vehicle and CA resident. Any solutions to that problem come to mind? Sorry if this is too much of a threadjack.

bajatrailrider - 11-4-2016 at 07:13 PM

Call Jackie at Click on Baja in Rosarito (on the web) US ins by the week. Or my Mexican ins (on Mex plated truck) full coverage ,towing both country's 400.00 dollars year.

JorgeMexiPass - 11-9-2016 at 12:15 PM

MexiPass has a policy called MxPatriate Auto Plus that is specifically designed for vehicles that are garaged in Mexico with foreign plates. For this product, you do not need physical damage coverage in the US to be covered in Mexico. Liability options of 300k to 1M, all perils coverage, full travel package, and the policy reads like an American policy.

You can find an agent or quickly quote/buy online at http://www.mexipass.com/buying-mexipass-insurance

Udo - 11-9-2016 at 12:26 PM

I'll agree with bajaguy on this, however, if you get pulled over by a US cop in California, I think you need to show a SD driver's lic. to be exempt for not having vehicle insurance in California.

DENNIS - 11-9-2016 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I'll agree with bajaguy on this, however, if you get pulled over by a US cop in California, I think you need to show a SD driver's lic. to be exempt for not having vehicle insurance in California.

I don't think anyone is exempt fro having insurance in Cal.

P-nche quote box is making me crazy

[Edited on 11-9-2016 by DENNIS]

vandenberg - 11-9-2016 at 01:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

P-nche quote box is making me crazy

[Edited on 11-9-2016 by DENNIS]

Don't take much.:lol::lol:

yellowklr - 11-10-2016 at 11:33 AM

EVERYONE must have insurance in CA..........Doesnt matter what DL or Plate you have on your car.

bajaguy - 11-10-2016 at 11:54 AM

Yup, that is why people with SD plated cars here in Baja buy US trip insurance before they cross the border

Quote: Originally posted by yellowklr  

EVERYONE must have insurance in CA..........Doesnt matter what DL or Plate you have on your car.