BajaNomad

Punta Concepcion

Sharksbaja - 2-4-2005 at 09:50 PM

The road to Punta Concepcion via the only road shown on the maps looks very inviting. I have heard its pretty bad in some spots . Has anyone been all the way out to the point or is it even possible. Hows the fishin & divin on the inside(west-facing) of the bay out there towards the point?

Bruce R Leech - 2-5-2005 at 08:15 AM

yes Sharks I have been all the way out. and it is a nice trip with some vary nice side trips. it is a vary slow rode if you are doing a day trip leave early in the morning and you will git back late. it is much better to go out and stay overnight. and come back the next day.also if you travel alone take a vhf radio ch 22 in Case you have trouble.

Bob and Susan - 2-5-2005 at 08:23 AM

It's WAY easier to drive over in your boat....park at Jingle Beach..NICE!!!

Bruce,

Do you know about the guy who was supposed to have lived in a shack over there...and is there really a water source.
:yes::yes:

Bruce R Leech - 2-5-2005 at 09:01 AM

I Know of several people that have lived there in the past.

And yes tis is one of the nice side trips is to the water fall. I think it flowed all the time. there are other sources of water there also. If any of you go there I would appreciate it if you would post the GPS # fore some of the locations . I did not have GPS when I went. please use the Mexican Datum.

KurtG - 2-5-2005 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
It's WAY easier to drive over in your boat....park at Jingle Beach..NICE!!!

Bruce,

Do you know about the guy who was supposed to have lived in a shack over there...and is there really a water source.
:

That would have been "Corona Dave" who lived over there till his death a few years ago. I think his place was called "The Far Side". There is a spring at Baja Patty's former place and good water at El Salto. When I motorcycled out there last month the road was narrow in a couple of places along the shore but passable. There are interesting hikes up Arroyo Pintado and El Salto.

Bruce R Leech - 2-5-2005 at 10:02 AM

do you have name?

the one that I new best was Baja Patty.

Sharksbaja - 2-5-2005 at 12:25 PM

Hey, thanx alot. It looks like that area could use some serious exploring. Considering the local, it may hold some clues to Bajas past. If the area does not see much action , some serious side trips over there could yield more suprises. Is it possible to cross over towards the end so as to be on the east facing shore?? U are so right....gotta get a boat...but my truck lives off dirt!

old mine

fishinrich - 2-5-2005 at 06:41 PM

Shark---I have been out to the abandoned mine and stayed for over a week. Not much there but a lot of concrete. The bay is great for launching small boats and a lot of kayakers use it for camping. When you are all the way out there you are truely on your own, nice and quiet. fishin rich

fishin rich

Sharksbaja - 2-5-2005 at 07:00 PM

was the fishin rich,Fishin Rich:lol:

Joaquin Suave - 2-6-2005 at 12:50 AM

I've sailboarded across several times on several trips about 10 years ago. I knew a CRUSTY old expat that lived over there named WHIT, He called his palapa Whits-end. He had a really nice bar with colored bottles cast into the cement. I heard that he died several years ago from "alcohol" complications. Shocking really.

Sharksbaja - 2-6-2005 at 02:48 AM

Sounds like there are a few over there. Those guys(and gals) that live in these barely accessable areas are a certain breed. Removed from the mainstream of their closest neighbors they live a hard but harmonius existence with their surroundings.Prior to thirty five years ago the majority of the Baja residents had zero to little knowledge of our Northern ways. They were and still are a people with themselves to give albeit today with a more capitalist approach. Unfortunate to hear of another loss to alcohol. It seems a lot of pince gringos end up retiring in Baja just to end up drinkin' themselves to death. It is not a secret that the Mulege area has suffered9along with many of us) economically since 911. The fear of travel and of terrorists on top of a goofey economy was reverberated in Baja. This actually may have along with the semi-recent hurricane given the Bay of Concepcion a little breather. The bay (west side) feels and shows the pressure of paradise seeking travelers. But things are good now. :cool:

Sierra los Gavilanes

The squarecircle - 2-7-2005 at 12:10 AM

Greetings Sharksbaja; While at Punto Hornitos, one should climb the light tower,its really high with a Huge birdie nest on top and those birdies will be close by watching you. Nice trails over to the old WWII mine on the E. side with some picturesque coves and sand beach camping. While swimming in the 2nd.cove S. from the manganese mine I got tangled up with a herd of jelly-fish that gave me a good spanking. Those stinging hairs feel like strong JALAPENO on the back of your tongue!! That got my attention for a few days. Didn't score any fish after hours of trying. I think all the jellies scared them off. David K. guided me to 2 guidebooks: [Offbeat Baja] and [Backroad Baja] for more info. Another high besides the temp. ( 120+*) was seeing and trying to catch a very evasive and large Coachwip snake. Go there and you will be the only one there!! Oh yes, do say HI to Russel in Mulege. >>>sq.

Punta Conception to the old mine and beyond...

Pompano - 2-7-2005 at 06:22 PM

I have traveled those roads and trails many times over a span of 30 years. Of course it's a trail so weather damage is constant and you travel at risk.

There are some very nice middens here and there and up the 'Painted Canyon'...a few petroglyphs about 25 feet above today's streambed level. Great rock formations carved by centuries of erosion and a favorite winter refuge for early Baja nomads, the Kochmi. A place to camp and relax. Look for Kochmi arrowhead chips and points. Lots of wildlife around...saw a very nice desert muley buck last year...quail and dove everywhere. From huge cardon to barrel cactus the desert flora is very green this year.

Years ago we were put ashore on the outside beach by boat and climbed the highest mountain, (we nicknamed it Mt. Fargo) camped there overnight and were picked up on the bayside shore. A great trip. Quite a view from 'Mt. Fargo'. Last year some friends from our area did the same trip.

You can take numerous canyon roads to places like Baja Patti's Rancho Margarita (where we partied for many years long ago), the old mine (closed after WWII), see a few old palapa shacks like Corona Dave's, who did call himself Farside after the cartoon...Hernando's Hideaway...Lorenzo's Lair..and other Baja characters who yearned for solitude and seclusion. They all have interesting histories, but I won't post information about some because those were after anonyminity and shunned attention.

One odd story I can tell is the time many years ago when one afternoon I heard a rather strained and cracking voice coming over the VHF radios we all used for our communications. There was no hailing or call sign, just this ghostly voice coming over the airways...."Can anybody.. tell me what time it is...and maybe.. the day and month??" I recognized the voice...it was our famous 'Corona Dave', aptly named for the bi-monthly beer trips he made in his van to Mulege. Case upon case of Corona he would load..and disappear to the penisula..sometimes with his gal, Yvonne...most times solo. He died on his loney penisula a few years ago.

On the main trail bordering the coastline you will pass by quite a few active fishcamps. The camps are frequently occupied with fishermen and their families, so you are not exactly alone on the penisula. It is worth the effort to explore this remote penisula. It has been used by druggers in the past, however, and is still infrequently patrolled by the army and marines..so be prepared to show id, etc.

You can also take the old trail to San Sebastian and find a nice little cove. A few houses built there today, but the photo shows the cove many years ago when we made that climb.

Joaquin Suave - 2-8-2005 at 07:08 PM

Could Corona Dave be Whit? ie: Whits-end? Stories seem to parallel.
He way a nice guy and always remembered my name when I visited. He parked his van at punta Arena.
If so RIP!

Corana Dave was also Whit's End...

Pompano - 2-9-2005 at 08:28 AM

he was both characters...and both fitted him well. I remember when he first came to the penisula and met me. He and his girlfriend, Yvonne, borrowed some of my shovels, rakes, trowels, etc. and set out to build his place 'Farside' across the bay. His Yellow/orange beer van was indeed parked at Pta. Arena...before it became Playa Naranjos.

People of Conception and Area

Skeet/Loreto - 2-9-2005 at 09:19 AM

Baja Patty and her Pistoleria Lupe{ Aka Paul Strong'"} lived on a small Ranch on the East Side of the Bay.

MontyNegro; Was living in his VW with his wife when he went astray one nite on the Beach, so his Wife left in his VW with all their Belongs. I heard that he died on the Streets of Mulege.

David: A Silversmith who lived in a small Shack in San Nicholas. Left in 1972 after saving my life when I had a Heat Stroke. He filled an old bathtub with cold water and emerged me after I became DeLerious{SP}

Name not remembered[A Miner out of Wyoming, a member of the Miners Union who wrote a Book about the Bad times in the coal Mines and was run out of the States. {I am trying to find his book in my Library} One of the first americans to fish and Explore Isla Del Infonso.

Skeet/Loreto

I LOVE THIS NOMAD BOARD

Barry A. - 2-9-2005 at 11:39 AM

This thread is the main reason why I really love this "Message Board". I want to thank all you knowledgeable folks for making back-road Baja really "come alive". This is really neat information, and I really appreciate it. Barry

Great stuff, guys.....

Hook - 2-9-2005 at 02:04 PM

......this is what a Baja board is all about, to me.

Are there any sand coves for anchoring off in a larger boat and swimming/yaking in?

Hook....Lots of places to set your hook

Pompano - 2-10-2005 at 07:25 AM

at Punta Conception penisula. Literally dozens of sandy beaches and small bays: At the entrance try Playa Domingo..it is protected from strong northerlies and has a perfect sand bottom and beach..a favorite anchorage for sailboaters and fishermen. Very good beachcombing and shelling...easy hike to the mine on Cortez side. Sailing further along the penisula shore look for a number of other good anchorages like Jingle Beach (full of pretty little shells..they jingle). There are many old fish camps scattered along the shores. I would recommend the northern half of the penisula which would be about 12 miles of possibilities. Avoid the extreme southern shorelines..too many shoals.

Places of interest are everywhere. If you are a diver, try to pinpoint the old DC-3 ditched there a long time ago..a sunken shrimp trawler...my anchor...my favorite fillet knife...sigh.

Please avoid Isla Bargo and Dead Dog beach...some of our gals use it as their nude beach to sunbathe on for that all-over tan.

Sharksbaja...on those fishing hotspots on the penisula..And a Famous Fisherman Story

Pompano - 2-10-2005 at 10:02 AM

are you fishing from shore or a boat? Of course the boat is going to be 1000% better than shoreline casting, but it can still be done successfully near the rocks at Playa Domingo and along that shore heading south..you will find lots of structure and dropoffs, but they are spread out for a few miles.

On the Cortez side, find the mine road and from where it ends at the water go north or south along the rocks to find cabrilla, snapper, trigger, etc..lots of good reef/rock dwellers for your table. If you have a fishing boat...give me a shout VHF 16 'Pompano' or contact me here when you are in our area and I will draw you a fishing map from my 30 plus years of losing tackle to some really big ones...MONSTERS!

HERE'S A TRUE FISHING STORY FOR YOU...one of my first from Punta Concepcion. In 1974, my friend Randy and I were fishing offshore near the mine in my little 16' Lund aluminum open boat that I had 'customized' a trifle..mostly for walleye fishing in Minnesota/Canada lakes. That day we were relative 'newbies' at catching yellowtail..but had learned from an old hand about using the large Rapala metal-billed deep divers..about a 9" inch plug...and so we were catching a lot of big ones within just a few days. We were instant 'experts' and real happy to have those fish-catching Rapalas. What fun we had just offshore of the old mine...yellows, cabrilla, grouper, white sea bass, ...we got them all!;D

Well, one day we were trolling along our favorite stretch (just off the old pier remnants at the mine) when I noticed a Boston Whaler fishing boat closing in on us..with 2 fishermen aboard. As the Whaler got closer I said to Randy,...'Hey, look there, that guy in the front could be a double for John Wayne..right?' You guessed it, when the boat came alongside, it WAS John Wayne. We were astounded of course, and our mouths probably dropped to the floor. We yelled Hello and Wayne yelled Hello back, then he said..."We've been watching you having fun with those yellows and grouper..what are you using to catch those son-of-a-%$#'s with?" We about fell over ourselves to show him what the Rapalas were and how good they worked...and I was thinking, 'Jesus, just don't go asking him to autograph my boat...'
Wayne and his crewman had similar plugs, but no real Rapalas... so naturally we offered him two of our precious stock.

I have to tell you, that after a couple of minutes talking to this famous gentleman, he made us feel real comfortable..like he was our uncle. He wasn't a mega-movie star out here, just another avid fisherman and a joy to meet.

They accepted our offer of the lures and I asked if we could show them one of our good points to troll past. "Hell, yes!" So we both starting trolling along the shoreline in about 90-100 feet. Wham-wham-wham-wham...we had four hook-ups before going a few boat lengths! What a blast that was..catching yellowtail alongside John Wayne. Only in your wildest dreams!

That was a great morning out by Pta. Concepcion...and one I will never forget. When it was getting close to out-of-fuel time, we trolled slowly by Wayne to say goodbye. He said.."Wait a minute, I want to give you back your lures." Naturally we said "No, they're yours now." Well, I guess that did it, because they came up alongside and Wayne asks where we were staying. I said we were camped with other friends at Coyote Beach in Conception Bay. He said, "Hell, I know that beach real well. We're gonna head in now..can you follow us in for a drink?" Hoo-boy, that didn't take long to answer. We followed that Whaler like we were glued to it around the Point and into the Bay..maybe 18 miles or so.

We didn't know the Bay as good back then like we do now..so when the Whaler took a sharp right turn into Santispac Bay we did'nt really know where we were headed. Then we came around the corner and saw this huge white yacht anchored off Santispac beach..'The Wild Goose'..Wayne's converted Navy minesweeper. We pulled alongside with Wayne and a crewman tied us up next to his Whaler. He invited us aboard and we sat down on the aftdeck with a cool c-cktail brought by a steward (Wayne was not exactly a tee-totaler himself) and talked about the fun we had that morning. I asked about his yacht and it's power, so he had the skipper take me on a tour of the engine rooms and bridge...quite a treat. Now some other people are coming out of their staterooms and wherever on that huge ship. We are in for some more surprises...We are introduced as 'Some damn good fishing guides, Roger and Randy' to some other famous folk who are Wayne's family and guests. His wife, Pilar, Donald Sutherland, Burt Reynolds(without his toupee), Dinah Shore, Lisa Manelli, Patrick Wayne and some other friends of theirs. 'We are now famous ourselves', we think...'we are John Wayne's fishing guides! Tombstone inscription material!'

Some of these actors were making a movie on the mainland and would fly back and forth into the Serinadad to rejoin the yacht in the Bay.

After another c-cktail and a delicious sandwich, we reluctantly took our leave and climbed onto the aftdeck swimsteps to board our little fishing boat. Wayne is standing at the aftrail looking down at us...and says, "That's a good looking boat you have there, Roger." (I think he meant the way I had it rigged for fishing..and it had my name on it.) I couldn't resist saying, "Mr. Wayne, that 'Wild Goose' is not bad either!" He laughed real easy, mostly because I think he knew how nervous we were about meeting so many famous people..and in such an isolated spot to boot.

Of course, all we could talk about for the next few days was our chance meeting with John Wayne and our fishing together. I took my gal dancing that next Saturday night at the Serinadad Pig Roast and as I already knew Don Johnson well ...I said to him rather excitedly, "Don, You'll never guess who I met out fishing the other day!" He smiles and says, "Roger, that story is all over Mulege. Everyone knows you met the Duke out fishing and gave him some lures." The old 'Coconut Telegraph'..I guess the word spreads fast.

Now we are dancing later that night in the inside bar at the Serinadad. I look over my wife's shoulder and see Burt Reynolds dancing 3 feet away with Dinah Shore. He grins and nods at me. I casually ask my wife, 'Would you like to meet Burt Reynolds?'..knowing she is secretly in love with him. "Oh SURE, why not??..you big blowhard..!', she snickers. I would give a thousand dollars to have a photo of her when I turn her around and introduce her to Burt Reynolds and he asks for the next dance!

I find out later that week from Don Johnson that John Wayne had been coming to Mulege for many, many years and even flew ice cream down from LA in his private plane for Don & Nancy's young girls. We autographed the old walls of the Hacienda Hotel bar with our names and dates right next to Wayne's signature...and others like Lee Marvin, Reynolds, etc. etc. Some Old Baja Times...some truly great times.

Sorry-I have made this story unneccessarily long because I lack the skill to make it short.

(Edited to re-attach some photos from the original posting date.)

[Edited on 10-26-2014 by Pompano]

Sharksbaja - 2-10-2005 at 10:53 AM

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: I AM IMPRESSED!
If u keep writin these stories up i'll never get out of here........... good day to go to Baja. bye...click...zoom

Great story, Rogelio.....

Hook - 2-10-2005 at 02:33 PM

....if I may call you that.

Gad, what a party yacht that looks like.......uh, the Wild Goose, I mean. :lol:

So, the beaches you describe are on the inside the bay, correct? Not on the outside, right?

I realize that the fishing story was on the outside.

ARe you still living down there?

I will certainly give the Dead Dog beach area a wide berth..........unless my wife is not with me that day. :o

[Edited on 2-10-2005 by Hook]

Bob and Susan - 2-10-2005 at 02:44 PM

Remember the age of these friends and ladies....Please Please give a wide berth....and wear sunglasses for sure:cool::cool:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pompano - 2-10-2005 at 03:49 PM

Hook...those real good anchorages are all on the inside bay. There are some spots along the outside coast that are okay in spring and summer, but definetley not for winter or inexperieced sailors...very dangerous reefs just under surface, but that makes for great lobster diving!;)

Bob & Susan....didn't I see you guys skinny-dipping over at Dead Dog a couple weeks ago?

KurtG - 2-10-2005 at 04:30 PM

Pompano,
My name was also on the wall in the bar at the Hacienda from about that time, 1974. It was a sad day when Arron Funk who was leasing the Hacienda around '90 or '91 decided to redecorate and painted over all those signatures. Alfonso was very upset over it but it was done without his consent. To me all those names on the wall, famous or not, represented some wonderful memories. BTW, I grew up a little east of you in northern Minnesota (Deer River) so at least one of us out here understands when you talk about fishing for walleyes. Best fish dinner I ever had was a shore lunch of fresh caught walleyes fried in beer batter on the shore of Lake of the Woods. We had our limit early in the day so decided the sensible thing was to eat a bunch of them and then go catch the limit again.

Thanks for all the Good Old Stories!!

Skeet/Loreto - 2-10-2005 at 05:10 PM

Pomp; It was my understanding that John Wayne owned the Hill right above the Posada.Where all the Houses are hanging on the cliffs. True/False

I met Jil St. John at the la Casitas in Mulege one Night, she was suppose to be buying one of the Coves in the Bahia.

Skeet/Loreto

Well, that means you can eat.....

Hook - 2-10-2005 at 06:22 PM

.....at the little restaurant in Coyote whenever you want. What is the mamacita's name who runs it? Some of the best mexican and marisco combinaciones I have ever had. Still no gringo pricing, either!

I will look you up when I next cruise in. Skip 25 F/B, no time for sailing until I retire.

Pompano - 2-10-2005 at 07:43 PM

KurtG...glad to talk to another walleye eater..they are something else in a pan with fried onions, spuds, fresh bread & butter, plus a cool one..and on an island is mandatory. I fished most of last summer on Lake of the Woods. We have a place on the Rainy River about 6 miles east of Baudette where Silver Creek enters Rainy. Got lots of nice wallys out on the big lake using clip-on weights and down-rigging No. 5 Rapalas (a little smaller than those we gave to John Wayne!) I've fished those delicious fish from coast to coast north and south...east and west. Best places for big fish are not necessarily my favorites. I really like the Canadian Pre-Cambrian rockshield lakes of the far north. Taken lots of float and canoe trips up there. A walleye shore lunch=Valhalla. It has to do with the setting, I suppose.

On those autographed walls at the Hacienda saloon and patio..that loco Aaron was really off the mark, for sure. I knew him quite well...he stills owes me a lot of money. In 1974 Randy and I stayed in the first little room to the left as you entered the hotel courtyard. I remember it was $4 a night. We went into that little bar and signed our names up on the left corner wall. Many years later when Aaron painted over all those hundreds of names with his Baja 'stick men' and other petroglyph fakes..we thought he'd lost his mind and were ready to tar and feather him. I see Alfonso quite often and he stills misses that nostalgia. (I flew with Alfonso many years ago when he still had a plane.) I remember seeing Aaron a year or so later when he was leaving Mulege for the last time heading north to LA. He was driving that bus of his. I tried to flag him down to get my money, but he kept on going like he didn't see me...so I took possession of 2 small cargo trailers he had stored. What goes around, comes around.

Skeet/Loreto...I was a 1/5 owner in one of the first stone houses built on that hill overlooking Posada in the early 70's. Herman Morante owned the land and was a shrewd businessman..and knew the benefits of giving some land to John Wayne as a sales promotion to future lot buyers. I thought Herman was a very nice guy...of course, I had dated his daughter before I got married and used to bring him Cuban cigars from the mainland. I heard that story about Wayne owning some land or a small house on the hill, but never saw any sign of it myself in the time I spent there.

Hook, the gal from the roadside cafe you mentioned?....was she one of the most beautiful creatures you have ever seen?.. must be Celia...unfortunately gone to Canada these last 3-4 years..with the kids. Nowadays, the cafe is run by Bony and Mercedes. That whole thing is another story in itself. Never a dull moment in our community.:tumble: Indeed, the chile rellenos are incredible...and the seafood combo.

Ah, man...all this remembering old times has me wanting to do it all again...and maybe I will.:)

Here's what Posada looked like back then from my balcony on the hill...note I had a palapa roof then too! A fire wiped out all the palapas roofs and buildings you see down there at Posada. I think the damage was estimated at 1.3 million in the LA Times.

RJM - 2-10-2005 at 11:11 PM

Pompano,
Very good story. I once camped at Coyote back I think in 1974 or 1975. I remember getting the only tree on the beach as a site for a week without having another gringo come bye. I think it must of been the beach just to the north of the picture you posted. I next came back in about 1984 or 1985 and had to camp next to motor homes and trailers. We ended up camping over on the point just at the tip of Conception and had a wonderful time fishing the reefs off the point. I will be down to Mulege in May with my boat and might spend a couple of days fishing the bay. What do you think the fishing will be like for Yellowtail in May? I will try you a couple of times on Channel 16 to get an update if you are in the area. Again, thanks for sharing the story about the Duke.

RJM - 2-11-2005 at 10:27 AM

Pompano,
Thanks for the information. We are planning on spending a week with friends in BOLA and then the rest of the time around La Paz. I have always wanted to fish around Isla Espiritu Santo and camp on it if it is still legal to do so. What a pretty home; I bet the palms make your place a paradise. My wife informed me that we must of camped at Coyote in 1978 because our kids were 2 and 4 years old then. I am looking forward to seeing Mulege again. I hope our paths cross.
Bob

Wasnt the restaurant

Hook - 2-11-2005 at 07:55 PM

called Berta's? That the one I'm thinking of.

Pompano - 2-12-2005 at 05:46 AM

Hook..I thought you meant our Coyote Bay cafe, Estrella del Mar...or better known as 'Bony's'..that's where Celia was. The one you mentioned, 'Bertha's' is just the next beach north at Burros Beach..a short hike. Her food is good, too..and my personal all-time favorite is her seafood soup..mariscos del mar. But be prepared to wait a little bit. Kind of famous for the delay time between ordering and eating! Bertha has limited cooking applianes..but is steadily improving over the years. A while back, we were used to waiting 45 min - 1 hour for our orders....gave you time to sample a few Pacificos and read some of the books on the shelves. Also her giant pancake is drooled after...don't order by yourself, though....it's HUGE and enough for 4. She makes it in a 12 inch pan and it's 2 inches thick.

Pomp

Skeet/Loreto - 2-12-2005 at 09:25 AM

thanks again for all the good stories and info. Starting in 1973 the first weed the Road opened I have put many many miles going past the Posada.
Do you know the story behing the House up on the Hill at coyote? There was an old Bus of sometype there for years. I heard that it was owned by two LongBeach Fireman.

Did you get to know that Ed and Marva had moved back to the States now living at Kingman?
Short Story: Ed and Marva where having a party in Loreto, I was invited to come and bring a dish, instead I sent it with there Daughter. I had been catching Rattlesnakes, curing the Skins at that time and had a lot of Meat, so I smoked up a couple of Pounds of good white Snake Meat, told them it was "needleFish and got a report the next day that everyone wanted to know how I prepared that "NeddleFish".

Skeet/Loreto

Pompano - 2-12-2005 at 10:36 AM

Skeet...what a surprise they must have had when they found out about that rattlesnake meat.:D
I have had it quite a few times when I was growing up in the Badlands of North Dakota...had lots around..especially under hay bales.

The house up on the hill you mentioned is our old friend, Jake, who is indeed a retired LA fireman...but he is the only owner. He was my neighbor 30 years ago at Posada too, when he had a trailer and palapa right below me..we had some fun times back then. Lots younger, naturally, and could party with the best of them. His next door neighbor then was a famous Hollywood film director, John Sturges..made films lilke Dirty Dozen, Bad Day at Eagle Rock, Kelly's Heroes, etc. Jake is quite a character and worthy of a story or two...which I will post one of these fine days.

elgatoloco - 2-12-2005 at 12:32 PM

Pompano and all the other 'veteranos'!!

Thanks for the great reading on a rainy day in So Cal!

Keep 'em coming! :)

Wish I was in Baja!

John Sturges

Hook - 2-15-2005 at 02:52 PM

directed some pretty good movies......and some mediocre ones. He's probably best remembered for The Great Escape with Steve McQueen and The Old Man and the Sea with Spencer Tracy. But he also directed the Duke in McQ. It was made in 1974. Based on your previous story, maybe Sturges met the Duke on that film and the Duke told him about Concepcion Bay. Quien sabe?