BajaNomad

The Cove Community - San Lucas

movinguy - 11-4-2016 at 03:05 PM

Out of curiosity I clicked on the banner ad for this place - anyone know anything about it? Looks pretty empty according to Google Earth . . .

BigBearRider - 11-4-2016 at 03:26 PM

I understand that one of the developments around San Lucas or San Bruno sustained significant damage in the hurricane. I cannot recall if it was this place, or another. I was told that a house got washed away. I did see that the wall around the military outpost next to Mex 1 got knocked down in part.

Alm - 11-4-2016 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
I understand that one of the developments around San Lucas or San Bruno sustained significant damage in the hurricane. I cannot recall if it was this place, or another. I was told that a house got washed away. I did see that the wall around the military outpost next to Mex 1 got knocked down in part.

The place was completely flattened in hurrican Odile 2 years ago. Flood stream went straight through the place and into the sea, washing the display home out. Luckily, nobody has built anything else during those 3 or 4 years that the place - i.e. empty lots - was on the market.

To the North there lies a camp Dos Amigos, and then the military base. Dos Amigos was heavily hit too, substantial damage to building foundations, people had to clean a good one foot of mud and rocks out. Trucks and some travel trailers washed out and destroyed.

bajabuddha - 11-4-2016 at 04:07 PM

There are actually two trailer parks there, one being quite larger than the 2nd one. The main park has a few more amenities than the smaller one, such as water taps (not to all the sites but some), hot showers, flush toilets and a restaurant (excellent) open on weekends for lunch and dinner. Also a good fish cleaning station and a boat ramp. All the 'beachfront' sites are mostly taken by permanent trailers, the second row back mostly open. As with any small gringolandia can be a little 'clique-ish', to be expected. Rates very reasonable; I stayed there 4 winters, paid about $1k US for a year's lease. Daily rents were $10, weekly $60, monthly $180, depending on which 'row' you chose. If there was a vacancy on the beach front rent was slightly more.

Boat launching is good at high tide and impossible at low tide; you can moor your craft and wade, but be advised LOTS of sand rays. Fishing inshore or offshore is always incredible when winds allow. The small pueblo of San Lucitas is very user friendly with tiendas, purified water,a Pacifico deposito and a small restaurant. 8 miles to Santa Rosalia and all things necessary.

That cover your questions?

BigBearRider - 11-4-2016 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

The place was completely flattened in hurrican Odile 2 years ago. Flood stream went straight through the place and into the sea, washing the display home out. Luckily, nobody has built anything else during those 3 or 4 years that the place - i.e. empty lots - was on the market.

To the North there lies a camp Dos Amigos, and then the military base. Dos Amigos was heavily hit too, substantial damage to building foundations, people had to clean a good one foot of mud and rocks out. Trucks and some travel trailers washed out and destroyed.

I think it may have been Playa Dos Amigos that I was told got hit by Newton about a month ago.

Alm - 11-4-2016 at 05:29 PM

Odile 2014 was real bad. Can't say about 2016 Newton in this area, but doubt it was nearly as bad.

Buddha - you are talking about 2 camps North of the military base. The OP asked about an empty place that sounded to me like the place South of the base. Maybe I misunderstood. God knows where on the GE somebody decided to place the pin "Cove Community". There is one camp to the South of the military base - Dos Amigos, and there is an empty "development" - not a camp - South of the Dos Amigos.

The rent on the main of 2 camps North of the military base - the one that you mentioned - went up a few hundred about 3 years ago when the ownership has changed. Hardly anything under USD 1,300 now, no electricity, sewer via blue boy totes. One odd space in the middle, at the end of the "tourist" lane - I would imagine somebody negotiating a little lower price on this one.

I recall some small development pockets in the backyard of that "main camp" North of military base, - homes in the bush behind the camp. Not quite on the sea, though one should be able to see the muddy lagoon and some sea from the roof ;)

[Edited on 11-5-2016 by Alm]

Alm - 11-4-2016 at 07:08 PM

The development that I was talking about - military base top-left, red arrow marks Dos Amigos camp, another arrow to the right - empty place that was washed out after Odile. Image dated 2015 shows that they've rebuilt the display house in the middle.

Military base begins just where the camp ends. All the area to the left of the camp access road is the base, and so is the strip of palms on the beach - though Google Earth shows there some icons "Dos Amigos".

Pescador - 11-4-2016 at 09:39 PM

Okay, let's clear up the misinformation, which grows rapidly if left unattended. George and Carol Wade started this development which sets to the East of Dos Amigos Trailer Park. They brought in electricity and water to the site and have built two homes with a third underway. They have plans for a clubhouse and other amenities. The road suffered some damage in Odile and again with Newton but George is in the process of cutting in a new road on "higher ground" that will stop a lot of the problem with the road that they share with Dos Amigos. They have also put in a major septic system and everything they needed for development. The houses they have built so far are very nice and the view is wonderful.

chuckie - 11-5-2016 at 06:52 AM

That is so good to hear! Hopefully there will be a Homeowners Association, covenants and restrictions, committee meetings, dues, and a gate to keep the locals out! If we could just get some good zoning enforcement to get and keep all those crappy old trailers and RV's off the beaches now. We would be well on the way to making Baja just like Hermosa beach....Oh and get ALL the roads paved...Hi speed hot spots and perfect cell service everywhere..Be still my heart!!!! And convert to US funds...Honest gas stations...Why if we did enough, we wouldn't have to go there any more...

Alm - 11-5-2016 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
That is so good to hear! Hopefully there will be a Homeowners Association, covenants and restrictions, committee meetings, dues, and a gate to keep the locals out! If we could just get some good zoning enforcement to get and keep all those crappy old trailers and RV's off the beaches now. We would be well on the way to making Baja just like Hermosa beach....Oh and get ALL the roads paved...Hi speed hot spots and perfect cell service everywhere..Be still my heart!!!! And convert to US funds...Honest gas stations...

Most of this will happen at some time. The "undeveloped development" has been on the market for some years, with nothing but display home. I don't think they plan to have any trailers on the beach, unless some venerable LOA member will bring his as a temporary site residence - and then leave it rusting peacefully it under palapa on the same lot :)... Converting Mexico to the US currency and lifestyle has been going already, with varying degree of success. There is of course a chance that we'll be coming there less often if and when the transition will be completed.

movinguy - 11-6-2016 at 08:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
Okay, let's clear up the misinformation, which grows rapidly if left unattended. George and Carol Wade started this development which sets to the East of Dos Amigos Trailer Park. They brought in electricity and water to the site and have built two homes with a third underway. They have plans for a clubhouse and other amenities. The road suffered some damage in Odile and again with Newton but George is in the process of cutting in a new road on "higher ground" that will stop a lot of the problem with the road that they share with Dos Amigos. They have also put in a major septic system and everything they needed for development. The houses they have built so far are very nice and the view is wonderful.

Thanks Pescador . . .

Pescador - 11-7-2016 at 09:14 AM

That is so good to hear! Hopefully there will be a Homeowners Association, covenants and restrictions, committee meetings, dues, and a gate to keep the locals out! If we could just get some good zoning enforcement to get and keep all those crappy old trailers and RV's off the beaches now. We would be well on the way to making Baja just like Hermosa beach....Oh and get ALL the roads paved...Hi speed hot spots and perfect cell service everywhere..Be still my heart!!!! And convert to US funds...Honest gas stations...Why if we did enough, we wouldn't have to go there any more...

Chuckie, I agree wholeheartedly but you have seen where I choose to live. I did not want to be in a gringo development but everyone has their comfort zones. I am not real fond of golf courses, but there sure are a lot of them at Cabo. I got really nervous because I had just finished building an enclosure at San Lucas Cove many years ago and George tried to buy the trailer park, which fell through. You have traveled the peninsula much more than I have and even though you are a cantankerous old coot, I know that you ended up in a place in Mulege where you were most comfortable. At least you were here and managed to catch a few fish (even though your smoker had only been used once) (LOL). So, actually, I am happy for the development at the Cove Community, but since it did not sell out overnight, I assume it is not everyone's cup of tea. The covenants and architecture committee is ok though when one is vacant frequently as it is nice to have some observation of the comings and goings at your house when you are not here. So, it just depends.

chuckie - 11-7-2016 at 11:52 AM

As one COC to another, I agree with you. I was much more comfortable after I left Gringolandia in Mulege and moved up to Loma Azul..Mostly all Mexican neighbors, so never had to worry about security, I had known most of them for years........I lied about the smoker, I may have used it twice...I wont be back, for health reasons and because it has changed so much...A good friend of mine, who had been there a LONG time, when I asked him how he felt about leaving, said " Its not the same place I came to"....Stay well Amigo....

movinguy - 11-7-2016 at 02:59 PM

As one COC to another, I agree with you. I was much more comfortable after I left Gringolandia in Mulege and moved up to Loma Azul..Mostly all Mexican neighbors, so never had to worry about security, I had known most of them for years........I lied about the smoker, I may have used it twice...I wont be back, for health reasons and because it has changed so much...A good friend of mine, who had been there a LONG time, when I asked him how he felt about leaving, said " Its not the same place I came to"....Stay well Amigo....

Alas, San Diego is not the same place I came to in 1982 . . .

"Change is the only constant in life." - Heraclitus