BajaNomad

The Ugly American

mojo_norte - 11-9-2016 at 08:43 AM

So for all of you down in Mexico how are the locals taking the news of the election?
Anger ?
How is this likely to effect Americans traveling to Baja in the future?

desertcpl - 11-9-2016 at 08:49 AM

maybe Mexico is going to build a wall to keep American out

bajaguy - 11-9-2016 at 08:50 AM

You will be welcome. Mexico still likes American dollars

BornFisher - 11-9-2016 at 08:55 AM

I`ll head down today. Hope I don`t see a bunch of ugly Americans who supported an ugly old women for POTUS.

Ateo - 11-9-2016 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
I`ll head down today. Hope I don`t see a bunch of ugly Americans who supported an ugly old women for POTUS.

I owe ya $100.

bajaguy - 11-9-2016 at 08:57 AM

Hit the ATM for pesos when you cross!!!

motoged - 11-9-2016 at 08:58 AM

He's all yours..... :o

Bueno suerte.

Bajaboy - 11-9-2016 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
When Mexico's president invited the two candidates to come to Mexico, only Trump accepted the offer and it was a pleasant meeting. HIllary had the chance to show some diplomacy to Mexico but refused. That should set the pace. I think Mexico will appreciate Trump's respect of their country over the twisted sound bites of the liberal media.

Guess this means your business should be flourishing soon! Time to go back to work.

woody with a view - 11-9-2016 at 09:09 AM

And the sun will continue to rise in the east.

BornFisher - 11-9-2016 at 09:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  

I owe ya $100.

Hey Jon-- I`m going to match your $100 and we`ll figure out a Baja charity to send it to.

bajaguy - 11-9-2016 at 09:24 AM

Desert Hawks!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  

I owe ya $100.

Hey Jon-- I`m going to match your $100 and we`ll figure out a Baja charity to send it to.

KurtG - 11-9-2016 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
He's all yours..... :o

Bueno suerte.

Can I borrow some BC (Canadian, not BC, Mexico) license plates?

elgatoloco - 11-9-2016 at 09:34 AM

https://www.facebook.com/DeportedVeteransSupportHousePage/?f...

Another 'charity' in Baja worth supporting

Bajaboy - 11-9-2016 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
When Mexico's president invited the two candidates to come to Mexico, only Trump accepted the offer and it was a pleasant meeting. HIllary had the chance to show some diplomacy to Mexico but refused. That should set the pace. I think Mexico will appreciate Trump's respect of their country over the twisted sound bites of the liberal media.

Guess this means your business should be flourishing soon! Time to go back to work.

I am hoping ALL Americans will be back on the job, including the majority, who stopped being counted by the government because they're no longer getting unemploymemt checks... so the media could lie about the jobless rate... telling us it's dropping!

Yes, how dare they lie about the employment rate:lol:

willardguy - 11-9-2016 at 10:02 AM

I don't have much to say about your politics up there......but damn you got one hot first lady! :o

DENNIS - 11-9-2016 at 10:16 AM

The Mexico government will milk this for all it's worth by whipping the people into a frenzy of hatred blaming the US for all of their woes rather than placing blame where it belongs. This has been their M.O. from the beginning of time.
Most Mexicans on the street don't have a clue as to what's happening in either country, let alone conversant to a point of criticizing anyone for things that haven't even happened. That goes for US citizens as well.

elgatoloco - 11-9-2016 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

............. don't have a clue as to what's happening in either country, let alone conversant to a point of criticizing anyone for things that haven't even happened. That goes for US citizens as well.

True that. :O

Skipjack Joe - 11-9-2016 at 11:21 AM

I think Mexico will appreciate Trump's respect of their country over the twisted sound bites of the liberal media.

:lol::lol::lol:

You mean the wall he's going to build. Or the trade agreement which helped the Mexican economy that he's going to rescind.

:lol::lol::lol:

woody with a view - 11-9-2016 at 11:49 AM

Any rational person realizes that his retoric will only be an opening line during negotiations on any number of topics. Just because he insists that Mexico will pay for a wall doesn't mean it will ever happen.

I mean, I keep insisting that I'm gonna win the lotto every week.

lencho - 11-9-2016 at 11:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
So for all of you down in Mexico how are the locals taking the news of the election?
Anger ?

In La Paz this morning, I've heard disbelief, dismay, disgust, fear and resignation: "What is WRONG with those Gringos, anyway?"

Didn't see any overt anger.

SlyOnce - 11-9-2016 at 12:10 PM

My TJ MX wife is sad and worried that they will take away her US Visa, BCC and SENTRI. Her mom is a permanent US resident with green card. Most of her large extended family are frequent border crossers and many live on the US side legally. She is highly concerned that this will be disrupted.

Of course there will be immigration reform, but it is not going to affect those crossing legally and legally residing on the US side, I'm telling her.

Perhaps NAFTA will be affected and some TJ factories may close, increasing unemployment and increasing local petty crime.

Other than that I don't think it will affect us gringos living in Baja too much.

Hook - 11-9-2016 at 12:12 PM

Some of you should read the very enlightening analyses of the demographics of who voted for whom.

Maybe most interesting is the fact that more women voted Trump[ (by percentage) in 2012 than voted for Romney; despite all his raunchy talk about women. Apparently the talk didn't both women as much as other aspects of Hillary.

And in the swing states that got him elected, most notably Wisconsin, he did better in the Latino vote than Romney; despite all this wall and rapist talk.

[Edited on 11-9-2016 by Hook]

Hook - 11-9-2016 at 12:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SlyOnce  
My TJ MX wife is sad and worried that they will take away her US Visa, BCC and SENTRI. Her mom is a permanent US resident with green card. Most of her large extended family are frequent border crossers and many live on the US side legally. She is highly concerned that this will be disrupted.

Of course there will be immigration reform, but it is not going to affect those crossing legally and legally residing on the US side, I'm telling her.

Perhaps NAFTA will be affected and some TJ factories may close, increasing unemployment and increasing local petty crime.

Other than that I don't think it will affect us gringos living in Baja too much.

If NAFTA is rescinded, I would think imported goods from the US and Canada will rise substantially in Mexico.

Or maybe we will just be flooded with Cheap Chinese Chit the way the US is...........

soulpatch - 11-9-2016 at 12:36 PM

Most the Mexicans I've interacted with have been sympathetic.
Heck, if anything, they surely know how politicians are.
I have seen no mal-intent towards us so far.

JoeJustJoe - 11-9-2016 at 12:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Some of you should read the very enlightening analyses of the demographics of who voted for whom.

Maybe most interesting is the fact that more women voted for Romney (by percentage) in 2012 than voted for Hillary; despite all his raunchy talk about women. Apparently the talk didn't both women as much as other aspects of Hillary.

And in the swing states that got him elected, most notably Wisconsin, he did better in the Latino vote than Romney; despite all this wall and rapist talk.

Apparently, the talk didn't bother poor white women and from women from rural areas.

The talk did bothered rich, and middle class American women who have to put up with that behavior in the work place.

Trump, did extremely well, with disenfranchised white men, and white women.( I hear Trump got 67% of the white male vote without a college education)

If you had a college education, and made $70,000 dollars or more, you probably voted for Clinton, if you didn't have college education, and made less than $50,000 dollars a year, you probably voted for Trump, as a vote against the establishment.

Lets not forget race, like Van Jones, says, the Trump vote was also about "white-lash and the changing demographics of America.

However, I don't think there will be a backlash against Americans, in Mexico or in the rest of the world, although there might be some less respect of Americans for voting for such a racista y loco candidate in Trump.

[Edited on 11-9-2016 by JoeJustJoe]

shari - 11-9-2016 at 12:54 PM

The folks I spoke to in the stores today are indeed informed and paying attention...as are the canucks in the village. There was disbelief and definite worry as they call him racista y loco and general shaking of heads...but I dont think they blame the tourists at all.

DENNIS - 11-9-2016 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  

There was disbelief and definite worry as they call him racista y loco and general shaking of heads...but I dont think they blame the tourists at all.

Thank you, Mon Shari. I appreciate your input on this although you do illustrate my point as to some being ill prepared to enter the fray.
Trump isn't racist....nor does he even qualify to call himself a member of a race.
"Mexican" as well is not a race. It's a mixture.
When people toss the race card, it is usually from a basis of ignorant hatred....pure and simple....and that is what's stirring the pot on both sides of the line.

StuckSucks - 11-9-2016 at 01:57 PM

mtgoat666 - 11-9-2016 at 02:25 PM

Trump's birther movement was racism. That's fact.
Trump's portrayal of mexican immigrants on the day he announced campaign was bigotry. That's fact.
Trump's campaign appealed to many by employing veiled bigotry. His adotion by white separatists is strong evidence. The undeplorables embraced him warmly.
He said so many divisive things about so many minority groups, he starts his administration with distrust from so many.
Add together all the things he said, it is obvious he is at his core a bigot.

Words have meaning. We all heard his vile speeches. His us vs them messages were understood.

Quote: Originally posted by shari  

There was disbelief and definite worry as they call him racista y loco and general shaking of heads...but I dont think they blame the tourists at all.

Thank you, Mon Shari. I appreciate your input on this although you do illustrate my point as to some being ill prepared to enter the fray.
Trump isn't racist....nor does he even qualify to call himself a member of a race.
"Mexican" as well is not a race. It's a mixture.
When people toss the race card, it is usually from a basis of ignorant hatred....pure and simple....and that is what's stirring the pot on both sides of the line.

[Edited on 11-9-2016 by mtgoat666]

vandenberg - 11-9-2016 at 02:53 PM

Give him 8 years and see how it goes. Can't do any worse than the moca man.
And yes, I believe he does 8 years and likely surprise everyone.

Bajaboy - 11-9-2016 at 02:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
Give him 8 years and see how it goes. Can't do any worse than the moca man.
And yes, I believe he does 8 years and likely surprise everyone.

Only way he does 8 years is if he gets us into a war. Oh wait, yes he does 8 years:(

DENNIS - 11-9-2016 at 03:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Trump's birther movement was racism. That's fact.
Trump's portrayal of mexican immigrants on the day he announced campaign was bigotry. That's fact.
Trump's campaign appealed to many by employing veiled bigotry. His adotion by white separatists is strong evidence. The undeplorables embraced him warmly.
He said so many divisive things about so many minority groups, he starts his administration with distrust from so many.
Add together all the things he said, it is obvious he is at his core a bigot.

Words have meaning. We all heard his vile speeches. His us vs them messages were understood.

Words used properly have meaning. Improper use is inflammatory. The "birther" comment was of a national nature....not racist. I mean...did Trump accuse Obama of being a Negro? I must have missed that. How dare he do such a thing. Oohhh waidaminit...he is.

"Bigot" has no value as a word other than from the interpreter. Talk to them.
And, the word "fact" has no meaning to you.

[Edited on 11-9-2016 by DENNIS]

sancho - 11-9-2016 at 03:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

Trump, did extremely well, with disenfranchised white men, and white women.( I hear Trump got 67% of the white male vote without a college education

Lets not forget race, like Van Jones, says, the Trump vote was also about "white-lash and the changing demographics of America.

[Edited on 11-9-2016 by JoeJustJoe]

Obama got out the black vote, this jerk got out the Hillybilly
vote, can't stand those people, they think an elitist is going past 9th grade. Once read a quote 'you can't
underestimate the American public'. This jerk respecting
Mex? not in the least, his ego is the only thing he is
interested in. How crass does one have to be for these Hillibilly's,
looks like there is no bottom. A demoracy needs an informed electorate, not these guible ####s

[Edited on 11-9-2016 by sancho]

[Edited on 11-9-2016 by sancho]

DENNIS - 11-9-2016 at 03:27 PM

rquote=1055394&tid=84661&author=JoeJustJoe]

Trump, did extremely well, with disenfranchised white men, and white women.( I hear Trump got 67% of the white male vote without a college education

][/rquote]

References please. Who is keeping these stats? Where do they get them?

[/rquote]

[Edited on 11-9-2016 by DENNIS]

willardguy - 11-9-2016 at 03:28 PM

:bounce:....oh man what a field day for the bajablowhards!

JoeJustJoe - 11-9-2016 at 03:39 PM

JoeJoeJoe wrote: Trump, did extremely well, with disenfranchised white men, and white women.( I hear Trump got 67% of the white male vote without a college education

Dennis wrote: References please. Who is keeping these stats? Where do they get them?

Sure no problem, here is just one link, showing a boat load of racist poor uneducated white people, turned out to vote for Trump in droves.

Among non-college-educated whites, 67% voted for Trump – 72% of men and 62% of women.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/09/white-voters...

DENNIS - 11-9-2016 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
[
Sure no problem, here is just one link, showing a boat load of racist poor uneducated white people, turned out to vote for Trump in droves.

Problem. Your reference is a British tabloid.
============

"The Guardian is a British national daily newspaper"