BajaNomad

Baja 1000

Bajaboy - 11-9-2016 at 12:07 PM

Trying to focus on the positive today....next week is the Baja 1000! Who else is going and where will you be watching?

We're headed down late afternoon on Thursday. Plan on staying at Villa San Quintin. We'll set up camp around RM 253 on Friday where we watched last year.

Here is some fun from last year: https://goo.gl/photos/xTPx4GWPXBrJuFy97

Zac

[Edited on 11-9-2016 by Bajaboy]

elgatoloco - 11-9-2016 at 12:14 PM

Have fun. Be safe. I will be in Phoenix for the No More Sheriff Joe celebration.:saint:

ehall - 11-9-2016 at 12:25 PM

Going to contingency on Thursday morning then headed to san Vicente and Erindira maybe.

StuckSucks - 11-9-2016 at 01:21 PM

The Team has told me I will be at a remote place, TBD after they prerun. I may be at RM390. The 1000 map.

willardguy - 11-9-2016 at 03:18 PM

any predictions in the TT class????(forget the bikes, you know Colton's gonna win):yes:

liknbaja127 - 11-9-2016 at 08:32 PM

My money is on the Kyle Leduc!!

Beagle - 11-9-2016 at 08:37 PM

For those of us that can't make it down, does anyone have any idea how we can watch on TV, Streaming, Roku etc???

willardguy - 11-9-2016 at 08:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by liknbaja127  
My money is on the Kyle Leduc!!

:bounce: Kyle then Ricky then Robby......good lord!

liknbaja127 - 11-9-2016 at 08:55 PM

Lots of talent!! Please be safe, If you are there.

ehall - 11-10-2016 at 05:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  
For those of us that can't make it down, does anyone have any idea how we can watch on TV, Streaming, Roku etc???

Score website will have live tracking and probably a link to the weatherman. No live coverage that I know about. Might have to wait for the movie.

Marc - 11-10-2016 at 07:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Have fun. Be safe. I will be in Phoenix for the No More Sheriff Joe celebration.:saint:

So illegals are voting nowadays??:?::?::?:

mtgoat666 - 11-10-2016 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

So illegals are voting nowadays??:?::?::?:

Not aware of illegals voting. I think the white/bigot population is shrinking.

Arizona is turning blue :D

willardguy - 11-10-2016 at 11:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  

well back in april NORRA did a fine job with live coverage via satellite along the course, come on roger.....how hard could it be?:mad:

Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue...

BajaCactus - 11-10-2016 at 03:05 PM

Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue will be supporting the Baja 1000 helping with the local emergency response in the areas surrounding El Rosario... from Checkpoint 2 all the way to RM 410.

We will deploy 3 ambulances and 2 4x4 off-road search and rescue vehicles in strategic positions in the area. I hope no one needs us.

Enjoy the race my friends!!!

Antonio Muņoz
Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue
Non Profit Organization

Bajaboy - 11-10-2016 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaCactus  
Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue will be supporting the Baja 1000 helping with the local emergency response in the areas surrounding El Rosario... from Checkpoint 2 all the way to RM 410.

We will deploy 3 ambulances and 2 4x4 off-road search and rescue vehicles in strategic positions in the area. I hope no one needs us.

Enjoy the race my friends!!!

Antonio Muņoz
Non Profit Organization

Are you going to be in town? If so, let's try and connect.

willardguy - 11-10-2016 at 03:24 PM

lets hope the new STELLA trackers pan out! :coolup:

BajaCactus - 11-10-2016 at 03:26 PM

Hey Zac... yes, I will be in town. I am in charge of the Coordination and Communications between our local Emergency Response Teams and the Red Cross Central Command and Operations in Ensenada. We will deploy our Rescue Teams on Friday and will be in full active watch from Friday 10:00am until Saturday at Noon.

Antonio Muņoz
Non Profit Organization

Bajaboy - 11-10-2016 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaCactus  
Hey Zac... yes, I will be in town. I am in charge of the Coordination and Communications between our local Emergency Response Teams and the Red Cross Central Command and Operations in Ensenada. We will deploy our Rescue Teams on Friday and will be in full active watch from Friday 10:00am until Saturday at Noon.

Antonio Muņoz
Non Profit Organization

I sent a u2u your way.

Udo - 11-11-2016 at 06:03 PM

I'll be sure not to travel into the Ensenada area after the 15th. of November, at least for a few days.

WestyWanderer - 11-14-2016 at 11:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
any predictions in the TT class????(forget the bikes, you know Colton's gonna win):yes:

FYI Colton is iron manning the Baja 1000 this year so when you see his name atop the Pro Moto results know that he did it all by himself!

We will be pitting at RM 656 for Ox Motorsports (Colton's team), all are welcome. Expecting the first bike to our location between 7 and 7:30 pm assuming an on time race start

WestyWanderer - 11-15-2016 at 07:22 AM

Sorry guys, I recind my previous post, Colton just announced that he will not be soloing the 1000 this year, he said it is simply too rough.

We will be at RM 656 though and would love some company if anyone is in the area

ehall - 11-15-2016 at 02:15 PM

rm656 is in the middle of nowhere. We will be in that area in Feb. Have fun.

willardguy - 11-15-2016 at 02:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
Sorry guys, I recind my previous post, Colton just announced that he will not be soloing the 1000 this year, he said it is simply too rough.

We will be at RM 656 though and would love some company if anyone is in the area

in NO WAY taking anything away from 1x....but 10 other duro hombres are going it alone!

Howard - 11-15-2016 at 03:38 PM

Maybe I missed it, but what dates is the race and are they coming through Loreto?

woody with a view - 11-15-2016 at 03:44 PM

Ens to El Rosario and back.

Bajaboy - 11-15-2016 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Ens to El Rosario and back.

Woody, so have you changed your mind? Cold beers, abalone, ceviche, tacos...oh and fast trucks! Come join us amigo!

StuckSucks - 11-15-2016 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Maybe I missed it, but what dates is the race and are they coming through Loreto?

The race is this weekend and only goes a little farther south than El Rosario. No Loreto this time.

BTW: El Gringo is now on Main St.

honda tom - 11-15-2016 at 08:21 PM

Bajaboy, I will be in El Rosario Friday for the race. Driving down Thursday. crossing border around 9am. might also be staying at Villa San Quintin on thursday. Looking at camping around 256 near the Baja Pits, or in the hills to the east. Any advice of good spectating around here.

Bajaboy - 11-15-2016 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
Bajaboy, I will be in El Rosario Friday for the race. Driving down Thursday. crossing border around 9am. might also be staying at Villa San Quintin on thursday. Looking at camping around 256 near the Baja Pits, or in the hills to the east. Any advice of good spectating around here.

We should arrive at the hotel about 8 or 9 on Thursday. I drive a white Tacoma. I'd love to meet up.

Last year we watched at RM 253ish. It's a long straightaway with a 90 degree turn down a rocky canyon. Great spectating and easy access! The only downside is the trophy trucks get there around 3:30-4:00 so you will have to watch much of the action in the dark.

Hope our paths cross!

Zac

WestyWanderer - 11-16-2016 at 12:45 AM

in NO WAY taking anything away from 1x....but 10 other duro hombres are going it alone!

Unfortunately sometimes sponsors and the need for certain race results dictate decisions more than desire.

Two years ago Colton rode the first 760 miles of the race and handed the bike off with a 20 minute lead. He will most definitely solo the 1000 someday, hopefully it will be someday soon because in his current condition it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities for him to win the Pro Moto class with a solo effort.

Sweetwater - 11-17-2016 at 11:50 AM

Unfortunately sometimes sponsors and the need for certain race results dictate decisions more than desire.

Two years ago Colton rode the first 760 miles of the race and handed the bike off with a 20 minute lead. He will most definitely solo the 1000 someday, hopefully it will be someday soon because in his current condition it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities for him to win the Pro Moto class with a solo effort.

I know #2 Baja 1000 successful solo moto riders. Both were self sponsored and rode different years, the glory is riding Ensenada to La Paz. When is that route scheduled again?

David K - 11-17-2016 at 12:40 PM

Nest year is the 50TH Anniversary 1000 and will run to La Paz.

willardguy - 11-18-2016 at 11:05 AM

looks like a good one between 1x and 45x....without colton, broke a clavicle prerunning tuesday night and is out of the race!:(

willardguy - 11-18-2016 at 11:44 AM

cars are off!:bounce:

did anyone here buy rogers live pay for view??

SlyOnce - 11-19-2016 at 08:48 AM

It's Saturday 11/19. Is there a festival in the street in Ensenada where you can see the cars/trucks? I'd like to take a little trip down from Playas. Thank you.

o3dave - 11-19-2016 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Nest year is the 50TH Anniversary 1000 and will run to La Paz.

I was hoping it would go to cabo

willardguy - 11-19-2016 at 11:08 AM

a big cograts to Rob Mac and Mark Samuels!!!!!!!

and a huge screw you roger for unbelievable chitty coverage(again):(

wessongroup - 11-20-2016 at 02:11 AM

Couple of racers going for it

sorry for the poor quality and lack of sound ... screen transfer from over at talkbaja ... good racing is good racing

motoged - 11-20-2016 at 09:38 AM

Ya sure don't wanna be in some guys dust....nice clip!

willardguy - 11-20-2016 at 11:20 AM

alright thats out of the way......42 days till DAKAR! :bounce:

del mar - 11-20-2016 at 12:18 PM

alright thats out of the way......42 days till DAKAR! :bounce:

:lol:...won't be the same without RG doing something stupid!

woody with a view - 11-20-2016 at 12:23 PM

Hey Zac, sorry we couldn't make it this time. Hope you guys had a blast!

Sweetwater - 11-20-2016 at 02:35 PM

Overall results
http://score-international.com/raceinfo/overall-finish-resul...

Massive penalties this year, I think the course is a major cause. What will they be able to put together for next year...

mtgoat666 - 11-20-2016 at 05:42 PM

Did I hear that 2 racers had a head-on collision and 1 guy lost his leg?
Seems odd that 2 professional drivers would have a head-on on a speed-controlled section, eh?
Any other carnage among the racers, spectators and innocents driving hwy 1?

willardguy - 11-20-2016 at 05:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Seems odd that 2 professional drivers would have a head-on on a speed-controlled section, eh?

they were blinded by each others lights, awful, just awful accident..:no:

motoged - 11-20-2016 at 06:06 PM

I was at the Mulege Pemex 1/2 hour ago and a truck loaded w/ moto and tires pulled up...ends up his team won the "Over 40" class...a KTM guy from Los Barriles.

I asked about DTBushpilot's son, Chad, and his team and they picked up 3rd in their class.....I mention this because I know David is too modest to announce such news himself...

Congrats to all.....

Sad to hear of the accident mentioned above.....

mtgoat666 - 11-20-2016 at 06:08 PM

Don't those guy dim their brights when in 2-way traffic? I suppose some not, I've had a few pass me at night w/o common courtesy,... :(

Anywho, when I meet jerks that won't dim lights I just slow down to make the blind pass a bit less hair raising.

Perhaps they were playing a high beam game of chicken,... been there done that on a few rural roads.

woody with a view - 11-20-2016 at 06:11 PM

Don't those guy dim their brights when in 2-way traffic? I suppose some not, I've had a few pass me at night w/o common courtesy,... :(

Anywho, when I meet jerks that won't dim lights I just slow down to make the blind pass a bit less hair raising.

Perhaps they were playing a high beam game of chicken,... been there done that on a few rural roads.

anyone ever notice how the "wrong way" score course markers are green and the "correct way" markers are a shade of orange? it seems backwards...... :?:

motoged - 11-20-2016 at 06:16 PM

Don't those guy dim their brights when in 2-way traffic? I suppose some not, I've had a few pass me at night w/o common courtesy,... :( ...

C'mon, Goat....it's racing and chit happens....

In the real world a lot of people don't dim their lights ....you have found a way to manage it....keep it up and you will live to be just another old goat ...:biggrin:

[Edited on 11-21-2016 by motoged]

PaulW - 11-20-2016 at 10:16 PM

Parkhouse rig westbound traveling 57mph
Spec truck turning right onto Hwy 3 coming from Mikes road and swung over the center line traveling 10MPH.
Each rig hit left corner.

[Edited on 11-21-2016 by PaulW]

o3dave - 11-21-2016 at 07:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
I was at the Mulege Pemex 1/2 hour ago and a truck loaded w/ moto and tires pulled up...ends up his team won the "Over 40" class...a KTM guy from Los Barriles.

I asked about DTBushpilot's son, Chad, and his team and they picked up 3rd in their class.....I mention this because I know David is too modest to announce such news himself...

Congrats to all.....

Ged, sounds like you met Captain baja. Great guy. 404x team rider. We will cover a few of his tracks when you get here.

motoged - 11-21-2016 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by o3dave  
Ged, sounds like you met Captain baja. Great guy. 404x team rider. We will cover a few of his tracks when you get here.

Dave,
I am in Mulege until about Nov 28th....where is your "here"?
(no hijack Q...U2U me)

BigBearRider - 11-21-2016 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by o3dave  

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Congrats to all.....

I think it's my neighbor's nephew who is on that same team. He's in Ensenada. They won the over 40 class.

rts551 - 11-21-2016 at 07:15 PM

pasted from facebook...

Jayson Strachan
5 hrs
Mark Luhtala was having the race of his life at the Baja 1000 running in 2nd place just after race mile 590 after starting 18th. Tragedy struck at approximately race mile 591 in a speed zone on the highway where the race course is going in both directions with a speed limit of 60 mph. I was chasing Mark with my pit support vehicle and was on scene only a couple of minutes after it happened. I did not see the crash. Mark suffered a crushed left leg broken above the knee, dislocated hip, multiple fractures in the left arm and collar bone, broken right leg, fractured C5. I frantically called for helicopters only to find out that they are not allowed to fly in Mexico at night until 7 AM. The accident occurred around4 AM and took over six hours to get Mark and the other driver to a hospital. Mark was in surgery all day Saturday and unfortunately he lost his left leg above the knee. The doctors were able to save his left arm and right leg, he should regain full function. Mark told me if it was not for the NecksGen head and neck restraint he would not be here. I guess it's time for me to get one. The other driver was getting ready to get out of his car for a driver change and did something that probably almost all of the drivers in off-road have done at one time or another and that is to loosen up your seatbelts and unhook. I am not sure of his condition I only know he is at the hospital. I was told the drivers name is Cody Parkhouse. Both navigators were able to walk away. This is such a tragedy for both driver's their families and teams, I ask if you could please click on their names and send them your prayers and thoughts and just let them know the racing world is pulling for them.
Thank you and to the family's I only wish I could have done more.

ehall - 11-22-2016 at 04:31 AM

Wow. Hadn't heard the part about the seat belt and driver change. Glad everyone survived. Pictures of both vehicles are on Race Dezert.

willardguy - 11-23-2016 at 01:59 PM

on an extremely sad note....mark luhtala didn't make it..:(

del mar - 11-23-2016 at 07:10 PM

and cody's not quite out of the woods:no: godspeed mark

BigBearRider - 11-23-2016 at 07:22 PM

Very sorry to hear about Mark.

ehall - 11-24-2016 at 05:00 AM

Terrible news.

WestyWanderer - 11-26-2016 at 10:01 PM

Unfortunately Mark died of a heart attack (probably as a result of his recent surgery) and Cody is in stable but critical condition at UCSD.