BajaNomad

Rotator Cuff Surgery and life in Baja

rocmoc - 11-16-2016 at 08:02 AM

So the Doc says I have to slow down as next repair is shoulder replacement, almost had to do it this time. Any of you had the repair and any impact on your activities and life in Baja? Biggest for me is to down scale my dirt biking to a more sane level and adding a UTV to the toy shed.

rocmoc n AZ (still healing)

willardguy - 11-16-2016 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rocmoc  
So the Doc says I have to slow down as next repair is shoulder replacement, almost had to do it this time. Any of you had the repair and any impact on your activities and life in Baja? Biggest for me is to down scale my dirt biking to a more sane level and adding a UTV to the toy shed.

rocmoc n AZ (still healing)

:(...with age comes the cage......

and it sure doesn't bode well for surfing :no:

[Edited on 11-16-2016 by willardguy]

BajaUtah - 11-16-2016 at 12:31 PM

My wife had the surgery last January. She was told by the surgeon that it's the most toughest, most miserable recovery of any surgery. Being her babysitter I'll agree. Lots of post recovery PT and follow up checks - it sucked.

Having said that she now doesn't even notice doing things that were impossible for her to do before the surgery. Overhead lifting and carrying a paddle board and paddling were no goes. Now, no big deal. So impact on Baja activities are all positive.

So, yes it sucks but the end results have been well worth the effort.

MMc - 11-16-2016 at 12:40 PM

Having had my shoulder rebuilt and repaired on both sides, not replace.
My doctor maintaines don't get it done until the repair/rebuild will be a improvement. Getting old is not for the week.

rhintransit - 11-16-2016 at 12:56 PM

my sister had a repair...12 months of rehab therapy and pain. I think it will slow you down considerably. but your doctor would be the best source of how much it will impact your lifestyle. everyone is different

bajabuddha - 11-16-2016 at 03:51 PM

Had labrum repair years back and best advice I can give is safety-pin a big paper sign on your shoulder that says,
"DO NOT PAT ME ! "
Also, keep up on the physical therapy; 4-6 months before you can do 'normal' stuff..... the first time you try skipping a rock on the water you'll realize why. Do what your orthopod tells you, and don't press your luck.

Fernweh - 11-16-2016 at 04:20 PM

Most important, in addition to all the other posts:

get the cooling pump set-up, where iced water is constantly pumped through a special pad over your shoulder.

I had both of my shoulders operated on - no pain after the OP at all.
Ran the system for a couple of days (and nights), just perfect.
Talked to people, which did not opt for that system - nothing but agony!

Long time PT, do your given exercises at home!!! Have the young guys do all the heavy lifting for you:)

rocmoc - 11-17-2016 at 07:52 AM

Thank you all for the words of encouragement and info. YES I will not miss or avoid PT. Yup icing day & night. Just BORED! But I do have the forum and your adventures to kill some of the time.

Thanks again,
rocmoc n AZ

BajaBlanca - 11-17-2016 at 06:46 PM

wishing you a speedy recovery!