BajaNomad

shrimp boats back in San Juanico, swim away turtles

surfinggrandpa71 - 11-17-2016 at 06:23 AM

Just noticing the shrimp boats coming in last night to the beautiful bay at San Juanico. Last year when we were here, the amount of dead turtles and dolphin were staggering due to their netting tactics. Let's hope and pray that we don't see a repeat.

BigWooo - 11-17-2016 at 06:50 AM

I thought that they had lifted the netting ban in early October, but talking to fishermen the ban is still in effect. Don't see any lights on the horizon at night, so I don't think they are dragging anywhere within sight anyway. There's supposed to be wind, so maybe they're just anchoring here to avoid the seas.

BigWooo - 11-20-2016 at 10:38 AM

I guess they are dragging for shrimp:

BCS fishermen ask government to continue ban on shrimping in the Gulf of Ulloa

On of the fishermen I talked to last night said they want them to go away because they kill too many lobster and corvina larvae.

fishbuck - 11-20-2016 at 03:05 PM

Sounds like a job for Sea Shepard!

shari - 11-20-2016 at 06:51 PM

I wondered where they went....they were dragging every night off Asuncion for a couple months...I counted a dozen some nights and yup lots of dead stuff on the beaches.

Desertbull - 11-20-2016 at 07:29 PM

I counted 10 just south of El Datil sand dunes today ... anchored but surely dragging all night long.

mtgoat666 - 11-20-2016 at 08:07 PM

If you are upset by the environmental destruction wrought by shrimpers, then don't buy shrimp!

Some fishing methods are just bad! Don't buy those fish!

Some fish are endangered! Don't buy those fish!

There is an app that ranks fish status, suggest you use it when out at the restaurant ogling the menu.

willardguy - 11-20-2016 at 08:37 PM

thats why I ONLY eat wild caught on rod and reel shrimp! :P

surfinggrandpa71 - 11-21-2016 at 05:40 AM

They are back, about 10 of them all lit up in line all night.....Itll be interesting to see if the beach is a morgue in the next few days. I was told the majority of the shrimp is boxed and sent to China for big $$$......Lets hope for the sea. I am amazed how the ponga nets are still on government ban but these monster boats with massive nets can take everything. I know, I know, someone is getting paid to allow this

LancairDriver - 11-21-2016 at 02:59 PM

Thanks for the update. This is disturbing news. There doesn't seem to be any end in sight in the war on the worlds oceans. They wont stop until there is nothing left, and fishing becomes economically unfeasible for lack of product.

shari - 11-21-2016 at 05:37 PM

I just saw 10 shrimpers heading north passing by us...keep going....keep going....

BigWooo - 11-23-2016 at 06:00 AM

One thing I never realized until they banned shrimping is that most, if not all, of the trash on the beaches is from the shrimp boats. Until they were allowed back, the beaches were clean, now they're piling up with trash again.

Mula - 11-23-2016 at 06:22 AM

All the lobster packed live are sent straight to Hong Kong . ..from Lopez Mateos.

surfinggrandpa71 - 11-24-2016 at 07:17 AM

we went for a long walk yesterday down to the river mouth south of town and the trash is horrible as some 20 boats just dump whatever they like.......I am really surprised the town of Sasn Juanico caters to these guys. Im sure they buy plenty of supplies in town, but the amount of trash and killing of sea life off sets any benefits whatsoever.............Is there any elected officials in San Juanico that can stop this. Also was told the ban on shrimp nets has been lifted quickly last week, however the locals can still use no nets.

Vayase - 11-24-2016 at 03:18 PM

Good luck trying to get something positive done in San juanico, you should be more concerned about the tweakers coming over the fence at 2:00 Am in the morning.
🙈🙉🙊

Beagle - 11-24-2016 at 08:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Vayase  
you should be more concerned about the tweakers coming over the fence at 2:00 Am in the morning.
🙈🙉🙊

You mean that one guy that lives under a tarp up the road from the hotel? He's a hoot.

Alm - 11-25-2016 at 01:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
thats why I ONLY eat wild caught on rod and reel shrimp! :P

No worries, in a few decades we are not going to see any shrimp other than farmed. Problem solved, no more delirium tremens of the kind "you don't like fishing methods - don't buy those fish"...