BajaNomad

350 peso tourist tax

pauldavidmena - 11-17-2016 at 01:43 PM

Just read this article in Baja Insider stating that a 350 peso tourist tax has been approved by the legislature of BCS. It's not an onerous amount, but how is it going to be collected?

chuckie - 11-17-2016 at 01:49 PM

Never stops...

bajaguy - 11-17-2016 at 01:52 PM

Don't think an individual state can enact what would amount to federal legislation........if that stands, can cities charge a tax?? Would you still pay the tax if you hold RT or RP status???.....might impact whale watching trips to BCS

karenintx - 11-17-2016 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
but how is it going to be collected?

A couple of months ago I read the BCS legislators may try to enlist the airlines to collect the additional fee. Airlines already collect/include two fees in all airline fares for foreign tourist. This could be a stumbling block...time will tell.

People that drive will just tell the border agents they are only traveling in BC not BCS! So, at check points will they now start asking for documentation?

Things should get interesting.

DENNIS - 11-17-2016 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Don't think an individual state can enact what would amount to federal legislation........

Donde estamos?

bajatrailrider - 11-17-2016 at 02:21 PM

Good luck collecting on that one.

mtgoat666 - 11-17-2016 at 02:46 PM

Isnt there already a 3% hotel tax?

pacsur - 11-17-2016 at 03:08 PM

It's a tax paid by cruiseship travelers only in BCS, the Mex Feds have already disagreed with it, and one cruiseship line has already said they will reevaluate porting in 2017 and possibly take action by the end of this year.

imlost - 11-17-2016 at 05:03 PM

Ha! So that's how they're going to pay for the fn Wall!
Trump Trump.

gnukid - 11-17-2016 at 08:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacsur  
It's a tax paid by cruiseship travelers only in BCS, the Mex Feds have already disagreed with it, and one cruiseship line has already said they will reevaluate porting in 2017 and possibly take action by the end of this year.
They say it doesn't affect cruise ships - you have to be here 24 hours to be required to pay.
http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/cobrar-350-pesos-turistas-no-afect...

freediverbrian - 11-17-2016 at 09:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Quote: Originally posted by pacsur  
They say it doesn't affect cruise ships - you have to be here 24 hours to be required to pay.
http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/cobrar-350-pesos-turistas-no-afect...

That makes no sense the cruise ships are in Mex waters for 24 hours , long range fishing boats have to have visas for the passengers and they don't touch land.:?:

pauldavidmena - 11-18-2016 at 08:31 AM

Some good points raised here. Given how difficult this will be to implement, I have to wonder if this legislation is more symbolic than anything else.

And if so, what exactly does it symbolize?

:?: :?: :?:

DENNIS - 11-18-2016 at 09:22 AM

Mexico has gained fame for meaningless bravado in the past. It's been a PR stunt aimed at their own people, trying to give the illusion of heartfelt protectionism.
In the past it was, often, promises of immigration cleansing, but in the current atmosphere, those may be considered untimely.

DENNIS - 11-18-2016 at 09:41 AM

By the way....for those who think the Mexico general public is sympathetic to illegal immigration in country....you need to think a bit further on the issue.

pauldavidmena - 11-19-2016 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

And if so, what exactly does it symbolize?

I don't think it's symbolic in intent: I've been watching this and everything I've read is that it's just another attempt by the state to collect money. The claim is that tourists won't care, but I think they're wrong: From the tourist point of view, I think it IS symbolic, objectifying and repellent. :barf:

I'd have no objection to paying it if it was distributed as intended - to improve infrastructure, policing, etc. - but it's amazing what can happen when a well-intended idea meets a government bureaucracy.

DENNIS - 11-19-2016 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

I don't think it's symbolic in intent: I've been watching this and everything I've read is that it's just another attempt by the state to collect money. The claim is that tourists won't care, but I think they're wrong: From the tourist point of view, I think it IS symbolic, objectifying and repellent. :barf:

Mordida under any other name.................

bajaguy - 11-19-2016 at 09:00 AM

Think Ensenada tried a tourist tax a few years back for cruise ship people. $5 a person.....that didn't go over so well and a few ships bypassed Ensenada.....needless to say, the idea was canned

DENNIS - 11-19-2016 at 09:11 AM

Yeah....when you pee off Mickey Mouse, you've probably gone too far.

Gulliver - 11-19-2016 at 09:15 AM

We get so much from the privilege of living here in Mexico that the taxes don't amount to anything.

We paid our tax when I bought the house. We pay the the annual tax on the lot. We pay sales tax on everything we consume including utilities. We pay the tax on new things that we bring down from the states.

And it's worth every peso.

Now I know what will said next.

Yes, there are problems with tax evasion and lack of transparency in public finance. No one with a brain would claim otherwise. There might be some tax support for foster homes and fire and ambulance services if things were more open and accountable. We chip in and volunteer to try to take up the slack.

So no sniveling!

[Edited on 11-19-2016 by Gulliver]

surabi - 11-19-2016 at 08:31 PM

Sorry, but I don't understand this thread at all. There is already Mexican tourism tax and has been forever. When people fly in, it is hidden in the flight fare, although the airlines do show it in a breakdown (and temp and permanent residents are exempt from paying it and can either talk to the airline before booking or request a refund of the tourism tax). And all tourists are charged the tourism tax on the mainland when driving in.

Currently that tax is about $27 Canadian, which is MORE than 350 pesos.

Gulliver - 11-20-2016 at 12:32 AM

Anyone who can't afford $27 every six months for a tourist card should go back to their mom's basement.

And, more to the point, Mexicans pay a lot more to come visit the U.S. Several times as much.

[Edited on 11-20-2016 by Gulliver]

Hook - 11-20-2016 at 07:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Sorry, but I don't understand this thread at all. There is already Mexican tourism tax and has been forever. When people fly in, it is hidden in the flight fare, although the airlines do show it in a breakdown (and temp and permanent residents are exempt from paying it and can either talk to the airline before booking or request a refund of the tourism tax). And all tourists are charged the tourism tax on the mainland when driving in.

Currently that tax is about $27 Canadian, which is MORE than 350 pesos.

Well, wouldnt this new tax be IN ADDITION to the tourist visa?

At least with the tourist visa, there is the justification of processing people into the country.

This probably wont affect the hordes that fly into Cabo. If you can afford Cabo, what's another 350 pesos? But it could hurt marginal tourist areas.

And, in the end, we will read about some future state official who disappeared with millions. It's ongoing in a couple other states in Mexico right now.

pacificobob - 11-20-2016 at 04:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

By the way....for those who think the Mexico general public is sympathetic to illegal immigration in country....you need to think a bit further on the issue.

i would be interested in knowing what method you employed to determine where the "mexico general public's" sympathies lie?

DENNIS - 11-20-2016 at 04:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

i would be interested in knowing what method you employed to determine where the "mexico general public's" sympathies lie?

Direct inquiry. You can use the same method, or you can simply join the ranks of the head-in-sand arrogant US a-holes who think Mexico can't live without us because they really need our money.

Second time recently you've tried to confront me. Is it on with you and me, Mr. Bob? I'm all for it if you have a mind to mix it up, but you'd best have your crap together.

monoloco - 11-20-2016 at 05:23 PM

Mexicans have to pay a $160 USD application fee to get a tourist visa to visit the good ol' USA. That's just to apply and is non-refundable if the applicant is denied.

[Edited on 11-21-2016 by monoloco]

pacificobob - 11-20-2016 at 08:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

Direct inquiry. You can use the same method, or you can simply join the ranks of the head-in-sand arrogant US a-holes who think Mexico can't live without us because they really need our money.

Second time recently you've tried to confront me. Is it on with you and me, Mr. Bob? I'm all for it if you have a mind to mix it up, but you'd best have your crap together.

tranquillo cuate. just asking about your research. take a deep breath