BajaNomad

The old " Best time to cross" question.

fishbuck - 11-23-2016 at 07:10 PM

I'm crossing north at San Ysidro Monday morning.
Anyone want to suggest a best time?
And which lanes are best?. I always goof this up.

mtgoat666 - 11-23-2016 at 07:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

Avoid rush hour.
SENTRI lane is best.

apple - 11-23-2016 at 07:58 PM

8am on Sunday Morning at Otay Mesa. 20 minutes last month

bajabuddha - 11-23-2016 at 09:08 PM

When y'er there, Mexican Standard Time.

fishbuck - 11-23-2016 at 09:15 PM

Ok. Left lanes or right lanes? Thought Doug posted a while back saying Right lanes.
But I seem to remember trying to stay left as better.
Also the little hill after you take a left where there is 3 lanes and it's always hard for me to see the San Diego sign.
Which lane up the hill?

fishbuck - 11-23-2016 at 09:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Are you foolin' or is there a time change across the border? I don't remember a time difference. Maybe way south.

mtgoat666 - 11-23-2016 at 09:38 PM

Ok. Left lanes or right lanes? Thought Doug posted a while back saying Right lanes.
But I seem to remember trying to stay left as better.
Also the little hill after you take a left where there is 3 lanes and it's always hard for me to see the San Diego sign.
Which lane up the hill?

If you don't like your lane, then change lanes, It's a sport - lane changing, that is.

Hill? You mean the uphill to get on the overpass? Just avoid the medical lane on the right. follow the crowd.

If approaching on second street, stay in 2nd lane as you go under overpass, and stay left of k-rails.

bajabuddha - 11-23-2016 at 09:53 PM

Are you foolin' or is there a time change across the border? I don't remember a time difference. Maybe way south.

Not foolin' whatsoever. When you cross the border, you're on Mexican Standard Time, means leave your U.S. "hurry-up and go" behind, take your time, and be where you are when you're there; otherwise why go in the first place? Despacio, amigo. I've seen many watches tossed into the Colorado river on purpose.

fishbuck - 11-23-2016 at 10:01 PM

Yes a contact sport. I think I always ease over to left when it widens out.
So not the right medical lane up the overpass ramp.
I remember that. I got stuck in it before.

fishbuck - 11-23-2016 at 10:14 PM

Not foolin' whatsoever. When you cross the border, you're on Mexican Standard Time, means leave your U.S. "hurry-up and go" behind, take your time, and be where you are when you're there; otherwise why go in the first place? Despacio, amigo. I've seen many watches tossed into the Colorado river on purpose.

Oh yeah, that time change. I'll try to explain that here at Boeing if I don't make it back on schedule.
I'm sure they'll be fine with.
I hedged my bet with an extra vacation day I don't intend to use just incase the Mexican Standard Time warp hits me.;)

BornFisher - 11-23-2016 at 11:10 PM

Buck-- face it------you`re crossing Monday after Thanksgiving------ you`re screwed!!
Wish you well but have a great time down there so the wait is worth it!!!

ehall - 11-24-2016 at 04:58 AM

Tecate at 9 am monday was a 5 minute wait. Might be worth the extra miles, might not.

Terry28 - 11-24-2016 at 11:23 AM

For what it's worth.. Crossed last Monday at Otay,got in line at 11am, 2 hour wait...in the Ready lane....got to the crossing gate and asked the guard, " Why the long wait?? I thought Monday was the fastest day to cross" His answer was that Sunday afternoon and ALL day Monday was the slowest time to cross. He suggest Wednesday afternoon would be the best.........

willardguy - 11-24-2016 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Terry28  
For what it's worth.. Crossed last Monday at Otay,got in line at 11am, 2 hour wait...in the Ready lane....got to the crossing gate and asked the guard, " Why the long wait?? I thought Monday was the fastest day to cross" His answer was that Sunday afternoon and ALL day Monday was the slowest time to cross. He suggest Wednesday afternoon would be the best.........

it would be interesting to know what the wait in the regular lanes was? anymore im not completely sold on the readylanes, so many people now with the passport cards :(

BajaNomad - 11-24-2016 at 02:16 PM

Sometimes the ready lanes are faster, sometimes the regular lanes are faster. Unless you monitor live status, it's a crapshoot.

Right lanes are now ready-lanes, and left lanes are regular lanes (I think that's correct).

For Monday mornings - in general - 9am-11am has shortest wait times for passenger vehicles.

Get the app for live monitoring:
http://traffic.calit2.net/border/mobile.php

Here's online info:
http://traffic.calit2.net/border/border-wait-times.php?type=...

CBP has live info online as well (and their own app). The one above almost certainly sources info from CBP, but seems to have better software interfaces. YMMV

fishbuck - 11-24-2016 at 02:18 PM

I have never crossed at Tecate so might be worth a try. Even if it took the same amount of time it always feels better when you are moving.

bajaguy - 11-24-2016 at 02:18 PM

Sunday morning before 10am........everybody is either in church or nursing a hangover

wessongroup - 11-24-2016 at 02:23 PM

SENTRI ... at 5:00 am ... most days :):)

David K - 11-24-2016 at 02:25 PM

I have never crossed at Tecate so might be worth a try. Even if it took the same amount of time it always feels better when you are moving.
:light:
This! Just know that Tecate border is closed from, I think 11pm or midnight to maybe 5 or 6am.

DENNIS - 11-24-2016 at 02:41 PM

Weekdays all four lanes at Tecate are open to car traffic until 7:00 Am...something like that. It's your best choice.
When you're done, promise yourself you'll never go near TJ/SY again. It's for people who enjoy burning themselves with cigarette lighters.

Bajaboy - 11-24-2016 at 07:14 PM

crossed today at Otay....regular lane...20 minutes. Ready Lane looked much, much longer.

pquil - 12-10-2016 at 12:51 PM

How are the road conditions Tecate to Ensenada Hwy 3? Thinking of crossing on Monday vs going SY. Any info appreciated???

Bajazly - 12-11-2016 at 05:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pquil  
How are the road conditions Tecate to Ensenada Hwy 3? Thinking of crossing on Monday vs going SY. Any info appreciated???

A bit of construction but not bad and a much nicer drive thru the wine country.