BajaNomad

San Borja to Nuevo Rosarito

elfbrewery - 11-25-2016 at 11:55 AM

Anyone taken the road lately? I read that it's 22 miles from the east entrance to reach San Borja, then another 22 miles from San Borja to Nuevo Rosarito. I would also like to know what driving times I should expect. The Jeep hates the highway and would like to do this stretch off-road.

David K - 11-25-2016 at 12:54 PM

Yes, both roads to San Borja are about 22 miles long. I just drove the north road (you call it the east entrance) a couple months ago (twice). The side trip to Montevideo (6 miles) is well worth it, too. The San Borja road was so good, I was going 45 mph and later, while stopped to wait for the others to catch up, discovered I put a hole through the inner sidewall, near the tread! So, don't speed unless you have great tires. An hour is about right, maybe more on the west road (to Rosarito), as it was worse when I drove it last, in 2009.

Here are all the photos I took on the north road 2 months ago, the first two driving south to San Borja. The rest the next day heading back north (some photos are facing south, however:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the side road into Montevideo (2 miles south of the L.A. Bay Hwy.):

[Edited on 7-18-2021 by David K]

TecateRay - 11-25-2016 at 02:07 PM

Be sure plan some extra time to tour the mission and surrounding grounds. Well worth drive, as if just the drive wasn't worth it:biggrin:

elfbrewery - 11-25-2016 at 04:24 PM

Thanks for the info, but has anyone done the San Borja to Nuevo Rosarito road since 2009?

David K - 11-25-2016 at 05:45 PM

If you have a Jeep that "hates the highway" then you have no need to worry. The family at San Borja goes to Rosarito often to visit daughter, etc. If you search trip reports and road conditions for 'San Borja', you can read the newest posts. Not everybody uses 'Nuevo' with the village name and 'Rosarito' will bring up too much on the city near Tijuana.

Fatboy - 11-25-2016 at 06:17 PM

Drove the whole thing in May from hwy 1 at Nuevo Rosarito to hwy 12.

Typically Baja road, nothing that I recall as being difficult or challenging.

The section from hwy 1 to the mission was much rougher than the section from the mission to hwy 12.

Did it in a stock Cherokee with 280K on it.... this is about halfway between hwy 1 and the mission.

Borja rd.jpg - 205kB

David K - 11-25-2016 at 06:37 PM

Perfect news Fatboy!
Google may call the L.A. Bay highway 'Mexico #12' but the only signs along it have always been showing it as Mexico #1. It was graded in 1974 and they began paving about two years later. In ten years, the thin blacktop was in pretty bad shape and over ten more years woul pass before they redid it better.

Fatboy - 11-25-2016 at 07:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Perfect news Fatboy!
Google may call the L.A. Bay highway 'Mexico #12' but the only signs along it have always been showing it as Mexico #1. It was graded in 1974 and they began paving about two years later. In ten years, the thin blacktop was in pretty bad shape and over ten more years woul pass before they redid it better.

That's funny because 12 just didn't seem right but that is what was on google earth. :D

Heck I would say the highway from San Borja turnoff to BOLA was worse than any of the stuff on the dirt!

TMW - 11-25-2016 at 09:52 PM

From Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Federal_Highway_12

David K - 11-25-2016 at 10:40 PM

Yes, the American websites agree it is #12. There just is not one sign in Baja with that name for it.

ehall - 11-26-2016 at 05:26 AM

The "san borja" road sign was still there last May. Easy to find.