BajaNomad

Crossing on Motorcycle from Mx to US question

Fatboy - 11-25-2016 at 08:13 PM

It has been almost 25 years since I last crossed the border on a motorcycle and as I recall the wait times were A LOT quicker back then!

So, crossing northbound at Calexico, is there a 'shortcut' for motorcycles?

mtgoat666 - 11-25-2016 at 10:14 PM

Lane split. That's what pushy riders do.

bajadogs - 11-25-2016 at 11:59 PM

It's not about being a pushy rider. Splitting lanes in those lines can be a real hazard with many tight spots. In Mexicali you don't need to lane split. The last time I crossed in Mexicali it was 111°. Balancing and clutching on a hot motor with full protective gear for 2 hours could be deadly. That is one of the reasons why motorcyclists are encouraged to go to the front of the line. In Mexicali, take the Sentri lane on the left all the way to the gate, there is a small break in the barricade with a sign for motorcycles to cut right into the front of the non-sentry lane. If anyone has a grievance, tell them that the man with the badge and gun told you to do it, because a man with a badge and a gun probably will. If you are concerned about how to get to the right spot just wait before the line for another motorcyclist who looks like he knows what he is doing.

Tips - Take your helmet off as you wait for the green light or the hand wave to approach, you will need to take it off anyways for ID. I hang mine on my mirror. Have your passport ready, pull forward enough for the customs agent to see your plate, turn off your motor and be nice and be happy that you didn't have to wait in line.
Ride safe fatty. :)

[Edited on 11-26-2016 by bajadogs]

David K - 11-26-2016 at 12:10 AM

I have seen motorcycles go to the front of long lines at the border... as there is little to search for, if any, they don't take too long. Nobody got mad or honked.

ehall - 11-26-2016 at 05:22 AM

Yep. Drive to the front of the line. No problemo!

KasloKid - 11-26-2016 at 09:06 AM

Crossing at the west POE:
Find the first opportunity to get into the flow of traffic westbound next to the border fence. Get into the extreme left lane which feeds you back into Calexico. Just before or on the left corner, there is a hole in the concrete barrier just for motorcycles. Squeeze through and look for another hole in the next concrete barrier a little closer to the booths. Squeeze through it and look for the dedicated booth just for motorcycles. There are signs posted for each shortcut.
Traffic will usually allow you to squeeze around them to get to the front of the line.
Fast, easy and painless.

[Edited on 11-26-2016 by KasloKid]

[Edited on 11-26-2016 by KasloKid]

Fatboy - 11-26-2016 at 09:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  
It's not about being a pushy rider. Splitting lanes in those lines can be a real hazard with many tight spots. In Mexicali you don't need to lane split. The last time I crossed in Mexicali it was 111°. Balancing and clutching on a hot motor with full protective gear for 2 hours could be deadly. That is one of the reasons why motorcyclists are encouraged to go to the front of the line. In Mexicali, take the Sentri lane on the left all the way to the gate, there is a small break in the barricade with a sign for motorcycles to cut right into the front of the non-sentry lane. If anyone has a grievance, tell them that the man with the badge and gun told you to do it, because a man with a badge and a gun probably will. If you are concerned about how to get to the right spot just wait before the line for another motorcyclist who looks like he knows what he is doing.

Tips - Take your helmet off as you wait for the green light or the hand wave to approach, you will need to take it off anyways for ID. I hang mine on my mirror. Have your passport ready, pull forward enough for the customs agent to see your plate, turn off your motor and be nice and be happy that you didn't have to wait in line.

Thanks! Just what I was looking for! Great tips also.

Then is up to any booth? Or is there a booth for m/c? Or do you just wait in line behind the few cars now in front of you?

pacificobob - 11-26-2016 at 09:35 AM

i have been instructed to go to the head of the line by others waiting in line. have a fun ride

bajadogs - 11-26-2016 at 10:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  

Thanks! Just what I was looking for! Great tips also.

Then is up to any booth? Or is there a booth for m/c? Or do you just wait in line behind the few cars now in front of you?

Just what KasloKid said. I forgot about cutting across a lane to a special motorcycle lane. It really is easy.

Sweetwater - 11-26-2016 at 10:46 AM

I've been crossing once or twice a year on a moto for the past several years. The instructions to stay left are accurate for Mexicali, other crossings like Algodones or San Louis have openings for a moto to split lanes or go around the stacked traffic. There is usually a group of motos that gather at one of the agent booths and you can just join them without any drama. It helps to have a dual sport bike, buddy made a video in March, I might be featured.

:bounce:

https://youtu.be/xx3FSsXde0k

Fatboy - 11-26-2016 at 10:50 AM

Thanks everyone, didn't see Kalsokid's post until after my second post ---THANKS KALSOKID!!