BajaNomad

Peso/Dollar

MikeYounghusband - 11-28-2016 at 12:08 PM

Just got back from using ATM at Bancomer in Loreto. After asking why my card wouldn't work I was told that we (Gringos) are now limited to 2000 Pesos per transaction. This one hurts.

Barbareno - 11-28-2016 at 12:23 PM

We're happy when we get ANY transaction from Bancomer...Thank God for Banamex and Scotia

BajaUtah - 11-28-2016 at 12:24 PM

Bancomer in Los Barriles had no problems giving me $7500Mx 2 times the first week of November.

ncampion - 11-28-2016 at 02:02 PM

I was told the same thing at Bancomer Loreto, however the ATM at the Ley market (which is Banamex) gives a max of $6000 pesos and will repeat it if you want. The limit is per transaction. Don't know what's going on with Bancomer, I used to get $10,000 routinely.

DENNIS - 11-28-2016 at 02:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MikeYounghusband  
Just got back from using ATM at Bancomer in Loreto. After asking why my card wouldn't work I was told that we (Gringos) are now limited to 2000 Pesos per transaction. This one hurts.

Just got 7000 in Maneadero. Your bank is a bunch of hateful a-holes.

Meany - 11-28-2016 at 03:18 PM

Yesterday I got 8,000.00 pesos out of Bancomer in Loreto. No problems??? :bounce::bounce::cool:

Hook - 11-28-2016 at 03:43 PM

As basically a one-ATM town, we have noticed that the ATM will limit amouts when it starts to get low. The next day, after it being refilled, it's back to allowing the max.

Maybe that is the case here?

willardguy - 11-28-2016 at 04:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
As basically a one-ATM town, we have noticed that the ATM will limit amouts when it starts to get low. The next day, after it being refilled, it's back to allowing the max.

sounds fair! :light:

MikeYounghusband - 11-28-2016 at 04:58 PM

Hope your right, my card won't work at Ley.

DaliDali - 11-28-2016 at 09:10 PM

Makes one wonder how that squares up with a bank employee telling the offended withdrawee that extranjeros (gringos etc) are limited to 2000P?

My gawd there's no bias going on here.....is there? Nah.

[Edited on 11-29-2016 by DaliDali]

ncampion - 11-28-2016 at 09:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

Makes one wonder how that squares up with a bank employee telling the offended withdrawee that extranjeros (gringos etc) are limited to 2000P?

My gawd there's no bias going on here.....is there? Nah.

[Edited on 11-29-2016 by DaliDali]

An official(?)at Bancomer told me that they were having problems with foreign accounts, not just because we're gringos. Sounds reasonable but I hope it gets solved soon. It's no fun without money.

Bob and Susan - 11-29-2016 at 10:43 AM

today in mulege I got over 10k in pesos and a rate of 19.90 at bancomer

of course I spent it already

maybe the problem is your bank and their agreement with other banks
or your card

Rossman - 11-29-2016 at 11:12 AM

The Bancomer in Vizcaino generously gave me 3k pesos today. No additional transactions allowed. Fuel for 150 mile round trip and and some supplies and a tank of fuel for the boat and it is pretty much gone. Not sure how much longer I can do this. May be looking for a new home.

DaliDali - 11-29-2016 at 11:29 AM

Just this morning, I hit a Bancomer machine in one of the local Loreto hotels.

It would not give me my normal withdrawal of 8000P....
I punched in 6000P and the machine spit it out.

Beats me really......

motoged - 11-29-2016 at 11:36 AM

Four days ago the Bancomer in Mulege gave me two 2000 peso withdrawals on one of two different Canadian bank cards (one rejected)...past two days it would not accept either card...but accepted a friend's WellsFargo card.

AND.....the ATM has a new screen set-up that does not differentiate what accounts are connected with debit card (savings vs chequing)...am headed there now to see if they will change US$$ into pesos....

msteve1014 - 11-29-2016 at 12:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  
The Bancomer in Vizcaino generously gave me 3k pesos today. No additional transactions allowed. Fuel for 150 mile round trip and and some supplies and a tank of fuel for the boat and it is pretty much gone. Not sure how much longer I can do this. May be looking for a new home.

Send yourself pesos at the telegraf? office in Asuncion.
I do it in La Bocana. Wells Fargo charges $5.00 and the exchange rate is not quite as good as an ATM, but it sure beats driving to Vizcaino for 3000 pesos.:light:

gallesram - 11-29-2016 at 12:14 PM

I opened a BBVA/Compass checking account online and use it at the BBVA/Bancomer in Mulege and Loreto for making withdrawals. They charge me 1% of the amount withdrawn and never charge a per/transaction fee. The account is free to maintain and I only keep a minimum balance in it ($25) to keep it active.

I was in Mulege 2 weeks ago and the machine wouldn't give my friend with a B of A ATM card any pesos; but I was able to do 2 withdrawals of 3,000 each without a problem. Since there was no per transaction fee I didn't care how many transactions I had to do.

For those of us north of the border who go to Mulege/Loreto I'd recommend this option; it has saved me quite a bit in fees over the years.

Rossman - 11-29-2016 at 12:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  

I do it in La Bocana. Wells Fargo charges $5.00 and the exchange rate is not quite as good as an ATM, but it sure beats driving to Vizcaino for 3000 pesos.:light:

Thanks, I will look into that. I also bank with wells Fargo. I'm not even sure Asuncion has a Western Union office here, but even if I have to have it sent to Viz, at least I'll know what I'll get before I leave. Did you set up a Western Union account or was Well Fargo able to send to any Western Union office?

msteve1014 - 11-29-2016 at 12:35 PM

Thanks, I will look into that. I also bank with wells Fargo. I'm not even sure Asuncion has a Western Union office here, but even if I have to have it sent to Viz, at least I'll know what I'll get before I leave. Did you set up a Western Union account or was Well Fargo able to send to any Western Union office?

I'm sure you have one in Asuncion. It is where we pay our bills in La Bocana. It is not a western union. You set it up with Wells Fargo, and then can move the cash online. They do not always have a lot of cash on hand. I have had to wait a day or two to get, say, 10000 pesos. You do not want to set it up for Vizcaino.

Look at your wells fargo account on line for transfers to other countries.

[Edited on 11-29-2016 by msteve1014]

Bajaboy - 11-29-2016 at 12:38 PM

I'm sure you have one in Asuncion. It is where we pay our bills in La Bocana. It is not a western union. You set it up with Wells Fargo, and then can move the cash online. They do not always have a lot of cash on hand. I have had to wait a day or two to get, say, 10000 pesos. You do not want to set it up for Vizcaino.

Look at your wells fargo account on line for transfers to other countries.

[Edited on 11-29-2016 by msteve1014]

The telegraph office is just behind Matty's hot dog place next to the elementary school.

BajaBlanca - 11-29-2016 at 01:54 PM

the telegraph is called TELECOMM TELEGRAFO and here in Mexico, they all work with western union.

Les was in Vizcaino this morning and could NOT get his money out. when you are doing construction (his middle name) this can get weary real fast

I had no idea that some bancomers were limiting the amounts to 2k

and although it makes perfect sense to limit when the cash is running low in the machine - I had never heard about this either.

chuckie - 11-29-2016 at 02:10 PM

I think it has more to do with the ratio of the peso to the dollar...I also don't think anyone will admit that. Long time ago, when we had to drive to Santa Rosalia to do money stuff, and the peso was bouncing around, The bank manager told me that they would get a call NOT to exchange money that day...Just a guess on my part...

msteve1014 - 11-29-2016 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
the telegraph is called TELECOMM TELEGRAFO and here in Mexico, they all work with western union.

Les was in Vizcaino this morning and could NOT get his money out. when you are doing construction (his middle name) this can get weary real fast

I had no idea that some bancomers were limiting the amounts to 2k

and although it makes perfect sense to limit when the cash is running low in the machine - I had never heard about this either.

I know I have talked about this with you and Les in the past.

I can not understand why anyone living where we do would drive to Vizcaino for pesos when you know you can not depend on getting them that day.

David E. cried about this endlessly.

msteve1014 - 11-29-2016 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I think it has more to do with the ratio of the peso to the dollar...I also don't think anyone will admit that. Long time ago, when we had to drive to Santa Rosalia to do money stuff, and the peso was bouncing around, The bank manager told me that they would get a call NOT to exchange money that day...Just a guess on my part...

That may have something to do with it, but try to get large amounts out an ATM late Friday night or Saturday morning in the U.S. and you will find the same thing. It just does not have the cash to give. It throttles back the output.

Rossman - 11-29-2016 at 06:29 PM

Can't say that I have ever run into that problem in the states. Certainly not in Southern Cal. Maybe I did but since I could throw a stick in any direction and hit another ATM it was not much of an inconvenience.

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

That may have something to do with it, but try to get large amounts out an ATM late Friday night or Saturday morning in the U.S. and you will find the same thing. It just does not have the cash to give. It throttles back the output.

fish101 - 11-30-2016 at 08:16 AM

Hey Mike...The problem at Ley's in Loreto is that normally the ATM is out of money on Monday morning, which was the case on 11/28/2016, but that afternoon they refilled it and it spit out the normal 6000 pesos when I used my "debit" card.. The first ATM Machine is out of order, but has something to do with Ley's I think.. When you get your receipt from the first ATM it says "Ley's" on it, the 2nd on is Banamex.. If you need more than 6000 pesos, use your card the 2nd time for more..Unless your bank in the states as set limits..At least Ley's , Walmart and the Pemex stations have been accepting "Debit" cards, so we don't have to go hungry.. The PEMEX on Jurez will not take "Gringo Cards".. Manager won't budge..

AKgringo - 11-30-2016 at 09:06 AM

I have not been following this thread, and I just started a new one about getting peso's in Mulege and Loreto. Lap Paz is my next attempt.

bill erhardt - 11-30-2016 at 11:16 AM

My U S debit card was declined this morning at the ATM machines in the Bancomer in el centro in Loreto. A couple of months ago when I was in need of cash I was able to get 30,000 pesos in a few minutes in three back to back transactions on a single card at the same machines. This morning after striking out at the bank I went to Ley where from the one working machine I received 10,000 from two 5,000 transactions.
In my experience, withdrawing pesos from ATM machines in Loreto is hit or miss with the machines at the bank getting progressively worse. There is also a machine at the airport. I've never had to resort to that machine but it is dependable enough that some Loretanos routinely make the trip to the airport to get their cash.

MikeYounghusband - 11-30-2016 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fish101  
Hey Mike...The problem at Ley's in Loreto is that normally the ATM is out of money on Monday morning, which was the case on 11/28/2016, but that afternoon they refilled it and it spit out the normal 6000 pesos when I used my "debit" card.. The first ATM Machine is out of order, but has something to do with Ley's I think.. When you get your receipt from the first ATM it says "Ley's" on it, the 2nd on is Banamex.. If you need more than 6000 pesos, use your card the 2nd time for more..Unless your bank in the states as set limits..At least Ley's , Walmart and the Pemex stations have been accepting "Debit" cards, so we don't have to go hungry.. The PEMEX on Jurez will not take "Gringo Cards".. Manager won't budge..

Ley ATM just says there is a problem with my card. Sometimes it works. A lot of gringos at Centro standing, frustrated and peeed off. Seems it works some times and not others. IDK.

Well after trying everywhere in Loreto and getting nothing I went to the airport and got $4000 pesos for a $90 peso fee. Better than nothing.

shari - 11-30-2016 at 12:32 PM

Our Telegraph office in Asuncion is also hit or miss...sometimes the system is down,sometimes there is no money or very long lines but at least you can get it at times.

If you are a temporary or permanent resident I highly recommend getting a Mexican bank account with a debit and a credit card...the gas stations and building supply places all take those cards as well as the stores here in town so we can save what cash can be had.

rhintransit - 11-30-2016 at 12:35 PM

Ley's machines now limit one to 6000 pesos a shot and are frequently out of money, but they are the best chance in town. if the machine says it can't read the card, or some such, rub the magnetic strip (carefully) on an article of clothing and try again. sometimes this takes four or five attempts, if not reading is the issue.

the Santa Fe hotel/market has an ATM, I don't know the bank nor the limit.

also there is a small store/bank? Azteca or Electra or ??? next to Comex and El Arco which I understand will change dollars for pesos (need your passport). I've not tried this, so I don't know if it still works nor the exchange rate.

candidarlee - 12-5-2016 at 01:26 PM

We are having issues down here in Los Bariles/La Ribera as well. I'm hoping to get 2000 out tomorrow a few times, we are almost out of cash. Might have to wire transfer to a friend to get money!

rts551 - 12-5-2016 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Our Telegraph office in Asuncion is also hit or miss...sometimes the system is down,sometimes there is no money or very long lines but at least you can get it at times.

If you are a temporary or permanent resident I highly recommend getting a Mexican bank account with a debit and a credit card...the gas stations and building supply places all take those cards as well as the stores here in town so we can save what cash can be had.

Our office quit carrying large amounts of cash after they were robbed a couple of years ago. Our coop is paid now with pre-paid debit cards so getting cash is always a pain.