BajaNomad

Rosarito or Ensenada?

dyls5 - 11-29-2016 at 06:49 PM

So my wife and I are planning to go to Ensenada over Christmas and now my friend says that Rosarito beats Ensenada hands down. This has me thinking now if we should go to Rosarito instead.

What do you guys recommend?

My wife are 27 and aren't into partying or drinking a lot. We do like to go out for dinner a lot and have a drink or two though. We are planning to have a relaxing 3 days where we can eat awesome food and check out some sites. Our dog is coming with us as well and we would love to take her to a beach or park to run her so she's exhausted while we go out.

Any advice would be great!

willardguy - 11-29-2016 at 07:07 PM

how about a day at each?

bajaguy - 11-29-2016 at 07:11 PM

We had a choice to live in Rosarito or Ensenada....we picked Ensenada.....a variety of things to do

mtgoat666 - 11-29-2016 at 07:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dyls5  
So my wife and I are planning to go to Ensenada over Christmas and now my friend says that Rosarito beats Ensenada hands down. This has me thinking now if we should go to Rosarito instead.

What do you guys recommend?

My wife are 27 and aren't into partying or drinking a lot. We do like to go out for dinner a lot and have a drink or two though. We are planning to have a relaxing 3 days where we can eat awesome food and check out some sites. Our dog is coming with us as well and we would love to take her to a beach or park to run her so she's exhausted while we go out.

Any advice would be great!

I drive by Rosarito, haven't stopped there in 10myears. It's ugly, and crime-ridden.

Ensenada is beautiful, has lots to see/do.

Not sure there is anything to do in Rosarito but drink and do meth.

Really, the cities are in different leagues.

Same dilemma

John M - 11-29-2016 at 08:10 PM

We had the same dilemma, after enjoying a couple of three day weekends in and near Ensenada. So, we tried Rosarito - we were really disappointed with the lack of enough to keep us entertained - relaxing was no problem, and we could have solicited here on Nomad about decent restaurants but we didn't.

For us, at least, Ensenada is the better of the two.

A relatively short, easy to find day long day trip would be to the very pretty Guadalupe Valley - the route is easy and wineries plentiful.

Another popular tourist site near Ensenada would be La Bufadora, an hour south of Ensenada.

Rosarito Beach Hotel is a neat kind of old hotel - emphasis on "old."

John M

BajaBlanca - 11-29-2016 at 08:17 PM

I love Ensenada too! The little curio shops on the main drag are wonderful. The sidewalk tables are fun and have heaters to keep you warm. Guadalupe valley is romantic. La Bufadora ancient.

Have fun!

MMc - 11-29-2016 at 08:29 PM

Ensenada is good for me also close to the wine country.

David K - 11-29-2016 at 08:36 PM

Ensenada is an hour south of Rosarito so you can drive through downtown Rosarito, first. Maybe stop for lunch at the old Rosarito Beach Hotel then continue south, stay on the free road Mexico #1, all the way and stop along the many shops and even the old mission San Miguel ruins, next to the school, on the left in La Misión.

fishbuck - 11-29-2016 at 09:05 PM

Just spent some time in Ensenada. I really love that city.
The we 2 cruise ships when I stopped going south. The curios were in full bloom. Never seen it quite that... touristy. But very impressive, interesting.
There was also a giant container ship in the harbor. Full of curio stuff maybe?
Lots of disco type action on the north end of the strip. There is a resturant that has a big open flame cooking a rotisserie of chicken I think. I really wanted to go in there. Looked so good.
The town appears to have been cleaned up a bit.
Rosarito Beach the old hotel before all the new stuff was one of my first baja experiences. I would love have a time machine and relive it the way it was then. Still a small town. Not sure now.

BigBearRider - 11-29-2016 at 09:36 PM

I also skip Rosarito for Ensenada. Mostly by habit. I've been in Rosarito a couple of times, but the traffic was bad and turned me off.

I like Ensenada. It's a nice, tranquil town with still lots to do. I stay away from the Mango Mango and Papas and Beer places most of the time.

BornFisher - 11-29-2016 at 09:40 PM

Pick your accommodations then enjoy the closest community. Both are great!

You Can't Go Wrong with Either

GypsyJan - 11-29-2016 at 11:09 PM

Both cities have great restaurants, easily accessed and both cities have all kinds of websites listing in detail their many attractions and activities. Just do a little googling.

With only three days, you can do more things in Rosarito in less time; it is more condensed.

In Ensenada, unless you just want to explore the central city, everything else is much more spread out. It takes hours to drive out to the Valle de Guadalupe. It takes hours to drive out to La Bufadora.

bajaguy - 11-30-2016 at 03:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by GypsyJan  

With only three days, you can do more things in Rosarito in less time; it is more condensed.

In Ensenada, unless you just want to explore the central city, everything else is much more spread out. It takes hours to drive out to the Valle de Guadalupe. It takes hours to drive out to La Bufadora.

Actually takes about 25 minutes to the Valle de Guadalupe and 45 minutes to La Bufadora......we do it all the time

mtgoat666 - 11-30-2016 at 06:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by GypsyJan  
Both cities have great restaurants, easily accessed and both cities have all kinds of websites listing in detail their many attractions and activities. Just do a little googling.

I think you are creating a false comparison. Rosarito is traffic and meth heads, with a TJ vibe.
Ensenada is more like Baja, less like TJ and Rosarito.

Friends don't let friends go to Rosarito.

dyls5 - 11-30-2016 at 10:18 AM

Thanks for all the advice!

I think we are going to stick with our original plan and go to Ensenada. My friend is a couple of years younger then me and love to party so maybe that's why she prefers Rosarito.

We are looking forward to our vacation!

Pescador - 11-30-2016 at 10:54 AM

I have lived in both places during the summer and we much prefer Rosarito Beach. I bought a condo there because we enjoy it so much. We think the restaurants are absolutely superb and much better than most of what we found in Ensenada. Only if you hang out at the low life places that the Goat frequents do you see the goofballs. Restaurants: El Tapanco (best steaks and seafood), Fish Tacos at JR TACO BAJA, El Nido Steak house, Rosarito Beach Hotel and Restaurant, Splash, Original La Fonda, and super California Fresh (downtown).
You might want to try both and see which best fits your personality. Also, if you have time, a side trip to Guadalupe Valley for fine wine and dining, which is world class.

willardguy - 11-30-2016 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
I have lived in both places during the summer and we much prefer Rosarito Beach. I bought a condo there because we enjoy it so much. We think the restaurants are absolutely superb and much better than most of what we found in Ensenada. Only if you hang out at the low life places that the Goat frequents do you see the goofballs. Restaurants: El Tapanco (best steaks and seafood), Fish Tacos at JR TACO BAJA, El Nido Steak house, Rosarito Beach Hotel and Restaurant, Splash, Original La Fonda, and super California Fresh (downtown).
You might want to try both and see which best fits your personality. Also, if you have time, a side trip to Guadalupe Valley for fine wine and dining, which is world class.

mister goat brags he hasn't set foot in rosarito for 10 years.....but sure claims to be the expert here! :lol:

bajaguy - 11-30-2016 at 11:58 AM

Check your u2u - upper right corner where you log in

Quote: Originally posted by dyls5  
Thanks for all the advice!

I think we are going to stick with our original plan and go to Ensenada. My friend is a couple of years younger then me and love to party so maybe that's why she prefers Rosarito.

We are looking forward to our vacation!

BajaTed - 11-30-2016 at 12:09 PM

Find a place somewhere with an ocean view and go buy fresh seafood in the fish market in Ensenada and pretend you know how to cook, its way more fun. A couple of rib eye steaks from the store are REAL cheap and taste good BBQ'd with Mesquite too. IMO, lunch is your best experience in Rosarito and Ensenada, for fine evening dining go to somewhere like Deckman,s in the G.V.

bajatrailrider - 12-2-2016 at 04:29 PM

Dont listen to any thing MT baja nomad blow hard says he knows nothing. Rosarito is a great place have many Friends living there. Ensenada is also good.

msteve1014 - 12-2-2016 at 05:15 PM

Crossing at Tecate is a great idea. Leave wherever you end up staying early and spend the day checking out the vineyards on your way to the border.