BajaNomad

Trouble getting Peso's?

AKgringo - 11-30-2016 at 08:55 AM

When I got to Mulege just before Thanksgiving, I stopped at the bank and withdrew 2,000 peso's (the limit). The next day, my debit card did not work, then it did later but not the next day!

I traveled to Loreto, and my card was read by the ATM at the bank, and I could get balances etc (Wells Fargo, and no fee!) but I could not withdraw cash!

I tried my Edward Jones debit card, and it was just spit back out without even getting to the account. No problema, I have greenbacks.....but the bank would not exchange them for peso's!

I was told that some of the local businesses would change them, such as the Pescadero super market, but I traveled on to La Paz.

I will let you know what happens here. I would hate to get beat up on exchange rates using geenbacks at Gas stations!

By the way, at the Pemex on the highway in Loreto, they asked me if I was using cash or credit. For the first time in Mexico, I used my Wells Fargo card to fill up with 92 octane and kept my precious peso's.

dorado50 - 11-30-2016 at 09:42 AM

Maybe the problem is the newer" chip cards"?

KurtG - 11-30-2016 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dorado50  
Maybe the problem is the newer" chip cards"?

I used two chip cards with no problem including Mulege atm. Got only 2000 pesos there but 4000 twice at Banamex in GN.

AKgringo - 11-30-2016 at 10:08 AM

The chip is not the problem, and without it, I don't think I could have used it at the Pemex. At the same ATM, at the bank, sometimes it works and then it won't!

The Bank employee in Mulege even made sure that the chip was being inserted correctly, but he wasn't around when it didn't work!

All I could get from the bankers in Loreto was "Lo siento!"

AKgringo - 11-30-2016 at 02:45 PM

I went to the Walmart in La Paz today about 1:00, and had no problem withdrawing 4.000 peso's on each card at a Banamex ATM. The HSBC ATM right next to it was out of service.

I guess I will go back to fretting about other things, like the size of a liter of gasoline!

MikeYounghusband - 11-30-2016 at 03:26 PM

If it happens again try the airport. There is a ATM from a different bank (didn't recognize the name) and it gives $4000 pesos.

AKgringo - 11-30-2016 at 03:31 PM

I wonder if the banks in Loreto are having some sort of internal problem? I notice that the one I used two or three years ago is now a vacant building. It was right on the main highway just north of the mainstreet into town.

MikeYounghusband - 11-30-2016 at 06:04 PM

Bancomer is the only bank in Loreto. The vacant building was Banamex. From what I understand they had internal problems and had to leave Loreto, So Bancomer has sort of an advantage.

Howard - 11-30-2016 at 06:07 PM

Well, sort of.

The vacant building in town was the Banamex. It was short lived and too bad as they added more ATM's to the town.

The vacant building on the highway, just North of the entrance to town was another Bancomer that just folded up leaving Loreto as a one bank town, Bancomer.

1bobo - 11-30-2016 at 06:11 PM

Had no trouble with 5000p from the Mulege Bancomer ATM on the 23rd, but since then, nada. The manager told me today it was a "problema con systema Bancomer, possible menana, possible proximo semana".

If everything worked like el norte, I wouldn't be here.

fish101 - 11-30-2016 at 07:19 PM

Two ATM's in Ley's (Loreto).. Monday the one working was out of money which is normal. Monday evening and Tue morning no problem getting 6000 pesos from the Banamex ATM on the right side. The ATM on the left side was out of order which has been normal lately as well. Koppel has an ATM Machine as well and is with a different bank then Banamex or Bancomer, but haven't found anyone that has been able to withdraw money with their U.S. debit cards.. Grocery stores are taking the debit and/or charge cards, plus most of the PEMEX stations, so at least we get to eat and drive around Loreto.. Sante Fe Hotel has a Bancomer ATM and was able to withdraw 6000 pesos from there on Tuesday as well.. I don't see a big problem here in Loreto..

AKgringo - 11-30-2016 at 10:55 PM

The ATM problem was just part of my topic. Does any body have an idea why the banks in Loreto, and Mulege were not allowed to exchange dollars for peso's?

Hook - 12-1-2016 at 07:44 AM

We in San Carlos are also a one-bank town (CI Banco), but it has two ATMs.

One is notoriously temperamental with chipped cards. And the other will begin to limit the maximum amount it gives when it begins to get low on cash. Of course, when it is completely out of cash, it doesnt tell you that's the reason for the denial of service. It just doesnt work.

woody with a view - 12-1-2016 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The ATM problem was just part of my topic. Does any body have an idea why the banks in Loreto, and Mulege were not allowed to exchange dollars for peso's?

Combatting money laundering affects the tourist as well.

shari - 12-1-2016 at 08:13 AM

You need to have a Bancomer account to exchange dollars for pesos I believe...no problema...just look for the nicest person in the line and ask if they would be so very kind to change your money for you...you might make a friend too!

Banking woes are par for the course as are many things Mexicano...unpredictable, unreliable and downright confusing which causes us to develop and use Mexican style ingenuity. Do not take it for granted you will receive $ from a bank machine and have a plan B & C in place.

I have a variety of plans...I only use my cash when absolutely necessary. I use my debit card at stores and gas stations that take them and usually try to get 500 or a 1,000 pesos extra from them if they have the spare money. I visit the Telegraph office when I start to run low hoping it will have money and the line isnt too long. I pay bills online and only go to Vizcaino for money in an emergency. The expats have a system too and offer to take the bank cards of other amigos in when they go to try to fatten up their wallet.

Timo1 - 12-1-2016 at 08:22 AM

Is this something perhaps Antonio from Baja Cactus in El Rosario could ask Bancomer about on our behalf ??
It seems we are getting different reasons for the disruption from the bank employees and maybe a buisiness man like him could get the real answer.
Just a thought

Hook - 12-1-2016 at 08:59 AM

IF one is carrying USD, one of the best places to exchange them (at least for goods) is at major supers like Walmart, Ley, Soriana, etc. In our area, they often give exchange rates that even my ATM cant beat on that day. And you will get change in pesos.

Still, I am with Shari.........use the debit or charge card for everything you can. Keep your pesos for transactions with no other alternative.

I dont trust using a card at Pemex. Too many instances of card's compromised in this town, with the finger pointing to the Pemex.

Meany - 12-1-2016 at 12:12 PM

The wife and I were just in MUlege for the art show and went to bank and got 10,000 pesos. I guess the problem is solved?? But wife card would not work??? Saves her $$$$?? Mine must be magic??:bounce

surabi - 12-1-2016 at 08:50 PM

Bancomer does not exchange dollars at the teller even if you have an account with them. You can deposit them into your account, at which time they will be changed to pesos at whatever their going rate is.

And off topic, but I am a spelling and grammar N-zi, there is no apostrophe in pesos, as in the plural of peso. Apostrophes are used to indicate possession ( the girl's book) or for a missing letter in a contraction (didn't). They are not used before an s used to pluralize a word. This is part of a basic 3rd grade English lesson.

motoged - 12-1-2016 at 09:02 PM

.... but not every Nomad finished third grade....some, not even after their fourth attempt...:biggrin:

However, your use of the term need not be capitalized when not referring to specific political ideology...a dictionary reference will show:

"(often lowercase) Sometimes Offensive. a person who is fanatically dedicated to or seeks to regulate a specified activity, practice, etc.:
a jazz N-zi who disdains other forms of music; health N-zis trying to ban junk food."

Basic fourth grade intel ....

[Edited on 12-2-2016 by motoged]

AKgringo - 12-2-2016 at 06:24 AM

Well I've been school'd! And who knew that N-zi is another N-word that must not appear in print?'''

mtgoat666 - 12-2-2016 at 07:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Well I've been school'd! And who knew that N-zi is another N-word that must not appear in print?'''

If the thought police will not allow "N-zi," then try using these contemporary synonyms: "white nationalist" or "alt-right" or "trump supporter," or "trump."

sancho - 12-2-2016 at 01:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
.... but not every Nomad finished third grade....some, not even after their fourth attempt

[Edited on 12-2-2016 by motoged]

D Means could institute some sort of IQ Test to register. So to
solve this peso dilemma, one just has to open a Bancomer
account, deposit dlls, and withdrawl $ in pesos? Is a PR
Imm status needed for an account