BajaNomad

Amazon.mx (A test)

weebray - 12-2-2016 at 10:41 AM

Tried Amazon.mx as sort of a test. In our case the price difference between Amazon.us and Amazon.mx was 18% which would be IVA. In our case the product was a US product so that makes sense. The shipping was free and was to be delivered by Fed Ex next Monday. (four day delivery estimate) DHL delivered it late last night. Go figure. I recommend using Amazon.mx in the future. Because there is no handling or shipping charge it's a much better deal than using an importer in TJ as we have done in the past.

Mula - 12-2-2016 at 11:41 AM

I've been using Amazon.com.mx for the last year.
It's great.

bajaguy - 12-2-2016 at 11:41 AM

A neighbor here in Ensenada used Amazon Prime (US). Had order delivered by DHL in 4 days to his door. Tracked package on it's voyage.

rts551 - 12-2-2016 at 11:42 AM

wonder where the delivery would be to in some of the small out of the way towns.

Mula - 12-2-2016 at 11:45 AM

I'm in Lopez Mateos and they deliver here just fine.

rts551 - 12-2-2016 at 12:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mula  

I'll have to try it one day. I live in a town a little smaller than yours, further away from a large city, with no postal service or other delivery (other than Coppel, haha).

Bajaboy - 12-2-2016 at 12:42 PM

Wow, this could be a game changer for a few people in Bahia Asuncion!

msteve1014 - 12-2-2016 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

I'll have to try it one day. I live in a town a little smaller than yours, further away from a large city, with no postal service or other delivery (other than Coppel, haha).

Do your bills (telephone, sat. tv) go to the telegraph office? I'm pretty sure they do in La Bocana. We all have the same address. ha ha. Kind of like having something sent to "general delivery" in the states.

willardguy - 12-2-2016 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
A neighbor here in Ensenada used Amazon Prime (US). Had order delivered by DHL in 4 days to his door. Tracked package on it's voyage.

if amazon u.s. ships to mexico....whats the benefit of using amazon mx ?

rts551 - 12-2-2016 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Do your bills (telephone, sat. tv) go to the telegraph office? I'm pretty sure they do in La Bocana. We all have the same address. ha ha. Kind of like having something sent to "general delivery" in the states.

Yes they do. Then we sort through looking to see who has mail....

BajaBlanca - 12-2-2016 at 01:53 PM

Are you serious? This is pretty amazing!

Howard - 12-2-2016 at 02:01 PM

Has anyone used that service and had anything shipped to Loreto? Do they send it to your house even though it is a pretty funky address?

Fernweh - 12-2-2016 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

if amazon u.s. ships to mexico....whats the benefit of using amazon mx ?

I bought two ceiling fans from Amazon.US, $60 delivery charge (not bad)
but the items never showed up. I waited for twelve hrs.....nada.
Somebody did sign for it.......got full reimbursement from Amazon.
Might will try Amazon.MX some day.....

rts551 - 12-2-2016 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Are you serious? This is pretty amazing!

Think they will deliver to us? I am trying to figure how anyone would know my address.

msteve1014 - 12-2-2016 at 03:24 PM

What is the address on your phone bill?

I think the ones in LB all are #25 calle caracol, and that gets them to the telegraph office.

weebray - 12-2-2016 at 03:36 PM

Given a detailed accurate description they should deliver anywhere in Baja. (eg. carretera blanco km. 111, casa de ladrillo, mano derecha) If you live under a rock have them deliver it to the nearest neighbor. The reason to use .mx is that most stuff ships for free. You cannot use your prime US account to deliver for free to Mexico. The shipment also may get "hung up" at the border. (Aduana)

bajaguy - 12-2-2016 at 03:48 PM

Neighbors shipping from Amazon US to Ensenada was free, package went to Mexico City first then delivered to his house in Ensenada, he tracked it all the way. IVA was added to the total bill, no "duty" was charged.

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Given a detailed accurate description they should deliver anywhere in Baja. (eg. carretera blanco km. 111, casa de ladrillo, mano derecha) If you live under a rock have them deliver it to the nearest neighbor. The reason to use .mx is that most stuff ships for free. You cannot use your prime US account to deliver for free to Mexico. The shipment also may get "hung up" at the border. (Aduana)

rts551 - 12-2-2016 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
What is the address on your phone bill?

I think the ones in LB all are #25 calle caracol, and that gets them to the telegraph office.

I have no phone service in La Beliza. No power either. Its off-gid 3/4 miles from town.

guess I could try shipping to the LLantera.

[Edited on 12-2-2016 by rts551]

msteve1014 - 12-2-2016 at 04:17 PM

I would think that all the address are the same, only the names on the envelopes are different.
Order something cheap, a spark plug, see if it ever shows up.
I have no phone or tv either.

pacsur - 12-3-2016 at 05:20 AM

I understand the part about paying 16% IVA, but when I searched some different items on the Amazon mx site I found several with a "importation" highlighted, does anybody know what their importation rate is? And if it's a set rate or varies due to type of product or where it was manufactured?

weebray - 12-3-2016 at 07:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacsur  
I understand the part about paying 16% IVA, but when I searched some different items on the Amazon mx site I found several with a "importation" highlighted, does anybody know what their importation rate is? And if it's a set rate or varies due to type of product or where it was manufactured?

Why don't you ask Amazon for us??

Amazon.mx

lilgimp - 12-3-2016 at 11:56 AM

great news. thanks. Has anyone used a US credit card with MX Amazon?

weebray - 12-3-2016 at 09:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lilgimp  
great news. thanks. Has anyone used a US credit card with MX Amazon?

That's how we paid.

weebray - 12-3-2016 at 09:52 PM

Quote from Bajaguy "
Neighbors shipping from Amazon US to Ensenada was free, package went to Mexico City first then delivered to his house in Ensenada, he tracked it all the way. IVA was added to the total bill, no "duty" was charged."

It may be true that you can order from Amazon.us and not incur any shipping or customs costs. I do not know about Baja California, only Sur. On the Amazon.us site the $55 dollar hard drive was $99 delivered ($40 duty + $4 shipping) It was $60 total from Amazon.mx. The variables here are endless. I suggest you try both sites for the best price. The only constant here for us was the item. They were identical.

[Edited on 12-4-2016 by weebray]

imlost - 12-4-2016 at 07:45 AM

Does anyone know if there is a shipping center or business in San Jose del Cabo or Cabo San Lucas that could receive Amazon packages for me? There's no way a delivery person would ever find my house.

weebray - 12-4-2016 at 07:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by imlost  
Does anyone know if there is a shipping center or business in San Jose del Cabo or Cabo San Lucas that could receive Amazon packages for me? There's no way a delivery person would ever find my house.

I'm going to suggest you may be wrong. Delivery companies only do one thing - deliver. I'm sure they are used to funky addresses. That's why they also want your phone number. Another suggestion may be to deliver to the tienda/restaurant ?? down the street.

imlost - 12-4-2016 at 08:17 AM

My place is WAY remote. No restaurants or businesses nearby. Cell phone reception is spotty, at best.

pacsur - 12-4-2016 at 09:09 AM

I think there is still a mailboxes ect in San Jose in the scotiabank plaza on the carretera, I've heard some places will accept items and charge a set fee per item received.
Also, when you order from Amazon in the USA you are normally charged a state tax even if it's going straight to importation, I tried to tell them if it's going straight to exportation that I am not required to pay any state sales taxes, they said they understood and requested I send a copy of the importation receipt I receive down here and they would credit my account with the states taxes they collected, but they want that for every item, normally not worth my time for small orders, they would not register my purchases or account as sales for exportation only as many companies will, you just fill out a form normally and you are not charged state taxes anymore.
So as an example, one exporter in San Diego charges 25% for all items delivered where I live without a legal factura, which if you add CA sales tax it's then over 33%? If you need a legal factura you must notify the importer and different rules are followed, the same shipment then is usually 36% with a legal factura, and add another 8%+ for the USA state sales tax so your over 44% unless you send a request for a reimbursement of the state tax you paid Amazon, but only with a legal factura you can write it off on your Mexican taxes usually.
As far as the person who received a $55usd hard drive and was charged $40 shipping that comes out to over 72% in fees and taxes for shipping and I could only guess it should include a legal factura.
i set up a different Amazon mx account yesterday using my Mexican peso credit card because the credit card exchange rates are not usually very good from my experiences, and I would prefer to keep it separate from my usa account, I will need to speak with my accountant as it looked to me like if you want legal facturas you must give them other tax information.
I also set up a separate uber account here using my Mexican credit card and works great when I need to go to mainland.