BajaNomad

What's the road like from BoLA to San Francisquito?

JZ - 12-8-2016 at 07:05 PM

How long does it take? Any place to stay down there?

JZ - 12-8-2016 at 07:10 PM

And 2nd question, to go out from SF to Hwy 1, what's the conditions and approximate time?

larryC - 12-9-2016 at 07:28 AM

Both sections of road that you asked about are washboardy but no major obsticles.

David K - 12-9-2016 at 09:36 AM

It depends on what kind of vehicle and what kind of driving skill.
just under 80 miles from L.A. Bay to San Francisquito. Great road (last Sept.) 2.5-3 hrs. + stops.

Close to the same distance (75 miles) from San Francisquito to Hwy. 1, depends on which road... through El Arco (northbound) or through Guillermo Prieto (southbound)...

Bajazly - 12-9-2016 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
And 2nd question, to go out from SF to Hwy 1, what's the conditions and approximate time?

A few weeks ago we went thru Guillermo Prieto on our way to B of LA and until the turn to SF, I was doing 50 to 70 in many spots. The road was in the best shape I've ever seen it. After the turn to SF heading North into B of LA it wasn't quite as good but we probably averaged 40+. There are some gotcha's in that stretch and a little rougher but nothing crazy.

hombre66 - 12-9-2016 at 10:20 AM

JZ, with all due respect to DK's estimate of 2.5 to 3 hrs drive time, that would be under absolute perfect "right after the grader" conditions. After 10 trips there thru the decades, my average has been 4 hours. My worst case scenario was 8 hours to make it as far as Bahia San Raphel fishcamp, as there were many many washouts in the alluvial plane area from a very rainy winter. The road dissapeared and we turned back . So much also depends on the way you drive and what youre driving and how much gear you are carrying.

David K - 12-9-2016 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by hombre66  
JZ, with all due respect to DK's estimate of 2.5 to 3 hrs drive time, that would be under absolute perfect "right after the grader" conditions. After 10 trips there thru the decades, my average has been 4 hours. My worst case scenario was 8 hours to make it as far as Bahia San Raphel fishcamp, as there were many many washouts in the alluvial plane area from a very rainy winter. The road dissapeared and we turned back . So much also depends on the way you drive and what youre driving and how much gear you are carrying.

Exactly right... it depends on a lot of factors as I mentioned above, what kind of vehicle and your dirt road driving skills or comfort. I have a Toyota Double Cab, 4WD Off Road TRD. Going with me on that Sept. trip was an FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, and Land Cruiser wagon... all Toyota and all able to go 40-60 mph with ease. 25-30 is more realistic and that is why I said 2.5-3 hours for 75 miles, non-stop. A visit with Poncho at San Rafael is well worth the time to visit with this most humble hermit of the coast. My guests thought he made a much higher impression than had Coco, whom they all met a couple days before.

JZ - 12-9-2016 at 06:12 PM

Thanks, thinking about doing a ride out of BoLA with my two boys (13 and 15) here in a couple weeks on our bikes. Will have my buddy take my truck through behind us. We won't be in any hurry I just don't want to beat the total hell out of my truck. Sounds like it's in pretty decent shape. We'll be going South bound leaving SF.

Any places to stay in SF overnight? Any must see's along the way.

[Edited on 12-10-2016 by JZ]

David K - 12-9-2016 at 06:25 PM

Tons of places in San Felipe... see Nomad recommendations, as we camp.
There are so many must-sees, but that depends on what is fascinating to you. Springs, mines, palms, beaches, mission sites, El Camino Real, Petroglyphs and Pictographs are all along the route or not too far off. We went to MANY of them, and it is all in my Baja Extreme 2016 trip report of last September: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=84056
Other sites are documented in my website www.vivabaja.com and links to photos at many sites are on the page www.vivabaja.com/tours
David

JZ - 12-9-2016 at 06:39 PM

Sorry meant, San Francisquito. I'm not a fan of San Felipe and blow through it as fast as possible.

David K - 12-9-2016 at 06:46 PM

Oh, there is not much there... some cabanas, run down since the earthquake damage. See Beto at the cove, I hear he rents rooms.
Turn left at this sign (we went to see the broken down resort and not Betos on the inner bay):

Didn't look at all inviting... but to read Nomad Pacifico and others, he is very friendly.

This is the resort's sign.

JZ - 12-9-2016 at 08:12 PM

DK, is that a mission at Santa Certrudis? Worth checking out? How far out of the way from SF to Hwy 1 do you have to go to see it? 11.7? Miles, Kms?

David K - 12-9-2016 at 11:36 PM

DK, is that a mission at Santa Certrudis? Worth checking out? How far out of the way from SF to Hwy 1 do you have to go to see it? 11.7? Miles, Kms?

Hi JZ,
Yes, Santa Gertrudis is the 15th California mission and the first one in the northern half of the peninsula.
It is interesting as it is a stone mission, finished in the 1790s. The mission was founded in 1752. It is 11 miles off the road south to Hwy. 1 (near Vizcaino).
However, it is often locked up and the inside was modernized into a new church about 20 years ago taking away some of the historical theme.
Personally, I would try and see San Borja instead... it is 22 miles away from your route, however.

Santa Gertrudis images:

David K - 12-10-2016 at 01:53 PM

Interested is the history of Santa Gertrudis?
Here is the article I wrote for Discover Baja Travel Club... it formed the base from which my 2016 book chapter on Santa Gertrudis was made:

http://www.discoverbaja.com/2014/08/15/the-spanish-missions-...

JZ - 12-12-2016 at 01:55 AM

Tell me about San Rafael. Can you get anything to eat or drink there, etc.

AKgringo - 12-12-2016 at 07:48 AM

Well Pancho served me a fish taco once! He caught the fish, and made the tortilla from scratch, and there is no menu posted.

He is the only one who lives there, and there are no services available, other than his hospitality. A good guy! I usually leave something with him when I have camped there.

David K - 12-12-2016 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Well Pancho served me a fish taco once! He caught the fish, and made the tortilla from scratch, and there is no menu posted.

He is the only one who lives there, and there are no services available, other than his hospitality. A good guy! I usually leave something with him when I have camped there.

Poncho is the man at San Rafael... he served my kids and I tacos and sodas as far back as 2001...

Here are photos from my camera 3 months ago:

(he needs new batteries, he has solar power at day and to charge them, but these batteries were shot and don't hold a charge anymore)

The road just south of San Rafael.. really great shape:

JZ - 12-12-2016 at 06:44 PM

I'll see if I can bring him a battery or two. So it's about an 1.5h from BoLA?

David K - 12-12-2016 at 06:47 PM

I'll see if I can bring him a battery or two. So it's about an 1.5h from BoLA?

It's about 45 miles... so it will depend on your speed on the graded road. If 30 mph, then yes. Maybe hang on to hear back from TW, in case he brought Poncho a new battery or update his needs?