BajaNomad

Mexicali to BOLA

azucena - 12-10-2016 at 03:08 PM

Has anyone driven this route in the last few weeks? I am considering taking it. Are there good places to camp along the way?

Also any updates on getting tourist cards in Mexicali?

Mil gracias

azucena - 12-10-2016 at 03:13 PM

Just to add, I am traveling sola, and wondered abut gas availability

David K - 12-10-2016 at 03:36 PM

Lots of reports on Nomad... keep looking in Road Conditions and trip reports forums here. Today, TMW is on the road south from San Felipe and had lunch at Alfonsina's a couple hours ago.

Maybe tell us what you are driving to give you a better answer on the roads and where you could camp. 2WD or 4WD? Need services or dry camping is fine? Stuff like that.

Mexicali Downtown or the newer east border? In brief, just pull over at the first place to park inside Mexico and walk into the INM building/ office to get your FMM tourist card. It is very easy. You must have a passport or passport card.

AKgringo - 12-10-2016 at 03:45 PM

I crossed at Mexicali west, about 1:30 pm on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. I stayed in the far left lane and there were only two cars ahead of me, and one of them was waved on through with hardly a stop.

I was also waved through, probably because she saw the big dog riding shotgun! I stopped anyway, to ask her where to get my FMM.

She pointed to a building about 50 yards away, I parked right by the front door, got my FMM and was on my way. Total time, about 15 minutes!

Plenty of places to camp, especially if you vehicle is good in sand. For me it all depends on where I am close to sundown.

Gas up in San Felipe (the last station headed south was closed) top off in Puertecitos (if open) or Gonzaga Bay, and you should have no problems.

azucena - 12-10-2016 at 04:59 PM

I am driving a 4x4, and can camp pretty simply. Thanks for the info both of you!

Any other hints as to good camp spots would be appreciated.

David K - 12-10-2016 at 05:51 PM

Gas up at San Felipe. 125 miles from Mexicali. Gonzaga Bay is about 100 miles further and top the tank if open. L.A. Bay is 100 miles from Gonzaga, so if you can go 200 miles (from San Felipe) without getting gas, you are fine.

As for camping, I suggest a couple places: 15 miles south of San Felipe is Rancho Percebu camping. Camping at Gonzaga Bay at Campo Beluga. Both on sandy beaches with palapas and bathrooms.

azucena - 12-11-2016 at 06:48 PM

Thanks so much for your information!!

David K - 12-11-2016 at 07:21 PM

Have a great trip!