BajaNomad

Mexican Insurance for my Canadian Vehicle

GuyS - 12-11-2016 at 03:26 PM

I will be travelling and staying on the Baja for a couple of months. I will of course need to purchase insurance. What is the best company to use for value/cost? Is purchasing on-line the best?

David K - 12-11-2016 at 03:43 PM

Baja Bound sponsors Baja Nomad and many here use them. Others also join Discover Baja and insure through them.

motoged - 12-11-2016 at 03:48 PM

Guy,
I am from BC and use Bajabound (Geoff [owner] is a Nomad member....see his banner at top of page) and online is quick and easy.

If you have proof of entry and exit from Mexico, present this to your insurance company and request a refund for period of time out of Canada/USA....it works in BC....don't know about your CDN insurer.

You need active CDN insurance to have Mex insurance valid....get refund after trip.

Eat fish tacos...:saint:

Quote: Originally posted by GuyS  
I will be travelling and staying on the Baja for a couple of months. I will of course need to purchase insurance. What is the best company to use for value/cost? Is purchasing on-line the best?

GuyS - 12-11-2016 at 05:40 PM

Ah thanks. Just what I needed, affirmation. I did see the banner!

surabi - 12-12-2016 at 02:41 PM

From my experience you do not need valid Canadian insurance for your Mex. insurance to be valid (it is pointless, as the Canadian insurance is useless in Mexico) . You need current registration. ICBC has something called Rate class 919. You can ask to have your vehicle put under this- your registration is still valid but your insurance is not, so you would need it to take effect a few days after you plan to enter Mexico (in case you get held up timewise), and reinstate you normal insurance before you drive out of Mexico.

David K - 12-12-2016 at 03:18 PM

This is just a guess on my part... but:

The point of having valid U.S. or Canadian insurance is to get the 'special' tourist-rate insurance.

I think that also having valid full time 'norte americano' insurance policy prevents people who keep a vacation car in Mexico from getting the cheaper tourist rate insurance? If you keep property in Mexico when you are not there, then you are not a tourist on a vacation but instead a seasonal resident of Mexico, returning to the same place each year.

rts551 - 12-12-2016 at 03:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
From my experience you do not need valid Canadian insurance for your Mex. insurance to be valid (it is pointless, as the Canadian insurance is useless in Mexico) . You need current registration. ICBC has something called Rate class 919. You can ask to have your vehicle put under this- your registration is still valid but your insurance is not, so you would need it to take effect a few days after you plan to enter Mexico (in case you get held up timewise), and reinstate you normal insurance before you drive out of Mexico.

Make sure you check your policy. Every policy that I have seen requires USA or Canadian insurance IF you want full coverage in Mexico. Not so if you only want liability.

motoged - 12-12-2016 at 05:01 PM

Yep, read the Mexican policy ....that's where I saw the active insurance info....there are probably alternatives....

surabi - 12-13-2016 at 08:26 PM

Canadian insurance is not "valid" when you are in Mexico, as it will not cover you in an accident here. I had Lewis and Lewis tourist insurance for years and checked with them as to whether I needed to be carrying current Canadian insurance and the answer was no, just valid registration. I used this Mexican Lewis and Lewis insurance for years, when I was here on a tourist visa, and then on a temporary residency, while keeping my car in rate Class 919 with ICBC. When I was ready to drive back north, I called ICBC, had them reinstate my regular insurance and paid the minimum 3 months, which they reimbursed 2 months of when I only needed it for the 1 month I was in Canada.

I would suggest that people check with their Mexican insurance provider rather than just speculate.