BajaNomad

Toyota Prius

Jack420 - 12-12-2016 at 09:04 PM

The wife and I are taking time off work - all of February 2017 to explore Baja and whale watch.

Trying to work out whether to take the Chrysler minivan at 15 mpg and lots of room for stuff and room to sleep in the back or the Toyota Prius 45-50 mpg and small tent plus bare necessities.

The total trip down from Oregon and back I expect to log 4000 miles. 100 gals vs 300 gals.

Either way no 4x4

Can a Prius make the trip? What might I not have considered?

bkbend - 12-12-2016 at 09:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack420  
The wife and I are taking time off work - all of February 2017 to explore Baja and whale watch.

Trying to work out whether to take the Chrysler minivan at 15 mpg and lots of room for stuff and room to sleep in the back or the Toyota Prius 45-50 mpg and small tent plus bare necessities.

The total trip down from Oregon and back I expect to log 4000 miles. 100 gals vs 300 gals.

Either way no 4x4

Can a Prius make the trip? What might I not have considered?

The Prius can make the trip. If you were going to spend a week in Baja I'd say Prius, but for a month trip I think a few extra comforts and "stuff" will make it a better trip. (Disclaimer: I drive a big truck and pack a lot of "stuff")

Udo - 12-13-2016 at 08:43 AM

I own an 04 Toyota Prius and a 2012 FJ Cruiser.
I have driven the Prius to La Paz and Todos Santos four times.
The FJ Cruiser twice.

It is really nice to average 45 MPG with the Prius vs about 20 on the FJ.

But...

The Prius has a Thule roof rack, and we can put some larger items up there. And with the back seat down, there is a lot of stuff that can fit in there. The FJ has a bit more storage inside with the rear seats down

But the differences are more stark in the ride quality between both cars, which makes the FJ a better, more comfortable riding vehicle. The FJ has been lifted and shocks/suspension modified for fast off-road travel. But when on the road and and traversing the ever-endless Baja pot holes, there is a huge difference. The FJ with 33-1250X18 navigates with ease and has a very soft on-road ride.
The Prius on the other hand is very comfortable on long trips but the pot holes are teeth-jarring in the car.

I take both cars to the sets a lot, and when taking the FJ, I miss the Prius mileage.

MMc - 12-13-2016 at 09:19 AM

The Prius will do what you need. I would take the van for the room and versatility. I did a trip in a honda van 10 years ago and knew we would pay to get out to S I lagoon. that road is paved mostly now. I to have a big truck and take a lot of stuff too.

Jack420 - 12-13-2016 at 11:05 PM

Thanks to those who responded. Nice to know I can go either way.