BajaNomad

New Years 2017

bajabob - 12-12-2016 at 11:06 PM

My wife and i will be leaving Sacramento on Dec 30th hoping to make it to San Felipe by Dec. 31st. Any travel tips, accommodations ideas, etc. would be appreciated. Traveling in a stock Dodge 4x4 1500 (gas) maybe bringing her dog :( I know things have changed a bit since last time i was there (2005) on a dirt bike trip (road to Gonzaga Bay is paved, i thought a needed a cat scan after riding the washboard from San Felipe). Checking my lists twice since my wife is coming, no major fails allowed. I'd like to make it to at least San Ignacio, at best Mulege or La Paz before heading back for work the next week. Looking forward to a great trip and meeting any other nomads (Bajalou RIP). Any thoughts about crowds, camping, food, gas availability over the holidays?

pangamadness - 12-16-2016 at 05:51 PM

Take your proof of vaccination for your dog. My sister was asked for it for her dog when they returned to the states.

Bajazly - 12-17-2016 at 11:50 AM

If you leave early morning the 30th, like 6am, and go over Tehachapi down thru Mexicali, you could/should be in SF right about dark. Kiki's is a good place to stay in SF, north of the Malecon on the water.

ehall - 12-17-2016 at 01:34 PM

Gas in gonzaga is hit or miss. Plan accordingly.

David K - 12-17-2016 at 02:00 PM

Correct, no matter what, top your tank in San Felipe.
Gonzaga is only 95 miles south... the next Pemez south of Gonzaga is at L.A. Bay (2) in another 100 miles, or Villa Jesus Maria (120 miles from Gonzaga) if you are not going to L.A. Bay.

willardguy - 12-17-2016 at 02:26 PM

although ANY pemex at any time may be closed or out of gas.....keep in mind Romancito has sold the station and is now owned by one of the large chains, so your chances are now much better!:yes:

PaulW - 12-17-2016 at 02:55 PM

Going south
San Felipe N Pmex to Chapala = 141mi per track log
Chapala to LAB turn = 30mi per AAA map
Lab turn to Villa Jesus Maria = 59.5mi per AAA map
total 230mi (buy gas)
Villa Jesus Maria to Guerrero Negro = 23.2mi per AAA map
Guerrero Negro to San Ignacio = 89mi per AAA map
total 112 mi (buy gas)

Stop in Gonzaga ?
SF N Pmex to Gonzaga = 104mi ( buy gas)
Gonzaga to Chapala 37mi
Chapala to Jesus Maria = 89.5
Total =188.5mi (buy gas)

Skip Gonzaga and get gas in LAB?
212mi from SF N Pmex

The SF south PMEX is open after a long period of non use. Saves about 8 miles from N Pmex.

End of my data base

Precautions

bajaguy - 12-17-2016 at 03:23 PM

Take precautions for your dog during the New Year's celebrations. The fireworks will make downtown Aleppo seem tame by comparison

[Edited on 12-17-2016 by bajaguy]

Thank you

bajabob - 12-28-2016 at 12:47 AM

I appreciate the feedback! Got the vaccination docs and map and extra gas can.

bkbend - 12-28-2016 at 10:37 AM

Unless you're doing a long, serious off-road excursion the extra gas is just taking up space. As noted above the longest gap is under 250 miles and even if you drive some gravel roads they're good enough that you don't burn a lot of extra gas. I also fill up at the next-to-last station before a barren stretch of driving so I won't have to backtrack if the last station isn't open.

Phil C - 12-28-2016 at 07:18 PM

Normally I would agree, no extra gas needed unless an extended off road trip is planed. Most vehicles have at least 300 mile range. My suburban has 500. But...the word on the street here in Loreto is that gas prices are going up 20% on Monday. Speculation is that the Pemex stations will close or "run out of gas" shortly before that. Could be a temporary glitch in the fuel supply chain. Who knows, just sayin........

bajabob - 1-3-2017 at 07:00 AM

Update: After discussing trip with wife, I happened upon a used 1990 Fourwheel popup camper for sale on CL close to our house. We ended up buying it and getting it setup on our truck for the trip. This was all consuming as there were minor things that needed fixing and the truck needed air bags in order for it to handle the extra load. I finished up wiring the camper to the truck on Friday @ 230 pm and hit the road.
We got to El Centro @ 0230 on 12/31 and "camped" in the WalMart parking lot.(My wife called ahead and asked if it would be a problem to park there and they were very polite and said that they welcome overnighters and have 24 hour security). We slept for 3 hours, woke up and drove to the border. We were the only ones there (LOL), got our 7 day iimmigration pass and headed to Kiki's (thanks Bajazly). Can't say enough about the hospitality and accommodations there.
Fell asleep before the fireworks started (i'm getting old for sure) and woke up the next day to a beautiful sunrise.
Headed to Gonzaga Bay, stopped by Alfonsina's for something to eat and waited and waited...We decided to leave and looked for campsites. Ended up nextdoor in Rancho Grande (mixed emotions about that place, such potential but pretty rundown IMHO). Not making any excuses but this trip came together in 2 weeks we're winging it. Great night at the beach, our dog met the local beach dogs and had a great time. Next morning we stopped by Coco's to say hi and drink some cokes and then headed out to Negro Guerrero. Passed the remains of a gnarly RV accident between Chapala and NG, hope everyone made it out alive on that one.
Had 4 tacos in NG at tacos polblano and headed out to San Ignacio. We had dinner at Rice and Beans last night and camped there. Nice family run place, clean, quiet and good food.
Headed out to Mulege/Bay of Conception this morning to see if we can spot any marine wildlife. We ran into a camper headed back up and he suggested camping at BOC near Playa Santispac (?) He indicated that the entrance was the first entrance past a major resort and the descent was a little scary but the camping was good. Searching for posts now about the BOC camping scene, any suggestions welcome as always. Thanks fellow Nomads!

shari - 1-3-2017 at 08:13 AM

oh geeze....great you found the camper....that gnarly RV accident was our own Nomad Reno Joe dang it...glad he is OK.

If you want to camp away from the highway noise our favorite is Playa Escondida....hidden beach...as it is off the highway. Just to the south of the neighbourhood of La Posada where the tennis courts are and lots of houses...there is a sign for it and the turn off....the road is rather goat trailish looking but passable and well worth it....I swam with whale sharks a couple weeks ago there too.

Glad to hear Joe's ok

bajabob - 1-10-2017 at 09:28 PM

Shari,

thanks for the update, we're so glad to hear that they're ok. I will definitely check out PE next time we're down there...perhaps Easter? I'll skip the swimming with sharks though.:?:

Bajazly - 1-10-2017 at 09:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabob  
I'll skip the swimming with sharks though.:?:

A couple years ago I was in La Paz and my buddies wanted to go swim with the whale sharks. I was kind of, meh, whatever but I'll take the boat ride out with ya. The first whale shark we encountered I was in the water and loving it. If you have the chance, don't pass it up esp in clear water, it's one of those things you'll never forget.