BajaNomad

Toyota tacoma is a dud in 2017

mtgoat666 - 12-15-2016 at 03:46 PM

2017 chevy colorado zr2 will kill the tacoma offroad market share!

AKgringo - 12-15-2016 at 04:10 PM

Trolling for Taco lovers?

DirkEXC - 12-15-2016 at 04:26 PM

Clearly he is just looking to start some trouble.
Give it a rest will ya

Did you notice how we did not hear from him
after he stepped in it when he bad mouthed one of the best
Nomads to ever share here.

willardguy - 12-15-2016 at 04:30 PM

lol, how true....but car threads are always fun. check out this GI hydrogen powered colorado!

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/03/gm-us-army-hydrogen-chevy...

chippy - 12-15-2016 at 04:35 PM

The best thing about the Colorado is the mini dmax motor. Offroad it is not in the same league as the Tacoma.

AKgringo - 12-15-2016 at 04:43 PM

When I heard that Chevy was going to offer a turbo diesel option for the Colorado, I checked into it.

What I want is a midsize truck, extended 2 door cab with at least a six foot bed. I would want it basic, ranch tough or military grade with few bells and whistles.

Unfortunately, the diesel will only be offered in the asphalt cowboy, full dress version! Short sighted if you ask me.

Bubba - 12-15-2016 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DirkEXC  
Clearly he is just looking to start some trouble.
Give it a rest will ya

Did you notice how we did not hear from him
after he stepped in it when he bad mouthed one of the best
Nomads to ever share here.

Yes, I noticed because it was my post. Quite pathetic.

willardguy - 12-15-2016 at 04:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
The best thing about the Colorado is the mini dmax motor. Offroad it is not in the same league as the Tacoma.

maybe.....but the RDC boys took one out and gave it a good flogging, and were quite impressed!

StuckSucks - 12-15-2016 at 06:24 PM

I've driven Tacomas for years on harsh roads and know what they will take; they are reliable. The deal-killer for the Colorado for me is that it's a Chevy - will not consider purchasing.

bajatrailrider - 12-15-2016 at 06:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
The Baja Nomad blow hard strikes again knows nothing.:?:

David K - 12-15-2016 at 07:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
I've driven Tacomas for years on harsh roads and know what they will take; they are reliable. The deal-killer for the Colorado for me is that it's a Chevy - will not consider purchasing.

At the car show, I compared the new Colorado and GMC look-alike to the Tacoma (in the next booth)... First off, look how hard GM tried to copy the Tacoma look with the cab... but then seeing how thin and plastic everything on the Chevy was compared to the solid feel of the new Tacoma... no comparison.

The GM product will not last or hold its value the way a Toyota will.

Nothing is perfect, and even Toyotas have problems... just not many compared to Chevy or many other brands. You will never see a drop of oil on the ground or burn oil between changes with a Toyota motor. At least that was my experience with my 2001, 2005 and now 2010 Tacoma. My wife had a 2008 and now a 2015 Corolla, and the same quality and value retained.

I just listed all the issues I have had as my Tacoma just had its 7th birthday with 92,000 miles (only) on it. Here is that post on Tacoma World forums: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/my-2010-dc-4x4-off-road-...

[Edited on 12-16-2016 by David K]

mtgoat666 - 12-15-2016 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
The Baja Nomad blow hard strikes again knows nothing.:?:

Bajatrailslug,
The chevy off-road Tacoma-killing machine comes in diesel. Your precious Tacoma does not!

Have you ever been to Tacoma? The goat has history there. The goat tells you Tacoma ain't an exciting thing to name a car after. Back in the days it smelled like a pulp mill because that was the biggest smokestack in town (well, maybe asarco smelter had a taller stack?)
When you say "Tacoma" First thing that comes to mind is the the smell of the pulp mill, and the sound of heavy metal head banging music in the Tacoma dome.
But the pulp mill closed down a while ago. And the jobs went to china, eh?
I hear trump will stamp his feet, twit some threats, wink at Putin and grab a pussy, and the bobs your uncle, the jobs will come back to Tacoma, or so they tell me.
:P
Lux sit!

[Edited on 12-16-2016 by mtgoat666]

[Edited on 12-16-2016 by mtgoat666]

StuckSucks - 12-15-2016 at 09:10 PM

A not-so-subtle attempt at pushing buttons.

Take away: Tacoma trucks smell like wood pulp, and sounds like heavy metal head banging music. Right?

ehall - 12-16-2016 at 07:41 AM

Thanks for the laughs. These threads are funny.

bajatrailrider - 12-16-2016 at 08:50 AM

Keep posting MT baja nomad blow hard we enjoy you lack of knowledge. Also talking about everything but trucks.Your not even smart enough to drive a truck.Let alone comment on one. :?:

o3dave - 12-16-2016 at 08:59 AM

Please keep in mind both the Tacoma (Washington) and the Colorado are both named from legalized Marijuana states.

More reason to be above this debate and drive a Jeep.

mtgoat666 - 12-16-2016 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Keep posting MT baja nomad blow hard we enjoy you lack of knowledge. Also talking about everything but trucks.Your not even smart enough to drive a truck.Let alone comment on one. :?:

Bajatrailslug,
You have thin skin. Age and sun will damage your skin. Suggest you keep out of the sun, wear long sleeves and sunscreen when you venture outside.

What is smart about driving a truck?

I see many of my neighbors drive trucks, but they don't use them as trucks. They are just overly large commuters/grocery-getters. What is smart about that?

P.s. I drive a 4Runner and a minivan and several mountain bikes. Is that smart enough for you?

cliffh - 12-16-2016 at 09:42 AM

what Dave said 100%

willardguy - 12-16-2016 at 10:24 AM

I say we switch gears and talk about the new twin turbo eco-boost Raptor!!!:bounce:
who's gonna have one under the tree this year?

del mar - 12-16-2016 at 10:43 AM

now thats one incredible offroad hot rod!

rts551 - 12-16-2016 at 01:40 PM

Or what was the name of that modified RAM?

And the Toyotas, tacocoma and tundra, have both fallen off in reviews (which we all know according to David are Magazines paid off by the government).

[Edited on 12-16-2016 by rts551]

ehall - 12-16-2016 at 01:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
I say we switch gears and talk about the new twin turbo eco-boost Raptor!!!:bounce:
who's gonna have one under the tree this year?

Wonder how it will compare to the 6.2? More hp and torque they say.

BajaNomad - 12-17-2016 at 02:27 AM

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/11/interview-2017-chevrolet...

chippy - 12-17-2016 at 07:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/11/interview-2017-chevrolet...

Funny none of the colorados I´ve seen have that front bumper? Most have a bumper that are so low they wuold scrape on an average tope. They are much better looking with that bumper.

wessongroup - 12-17-2016 at 10:26 AM

Don't have one ... but, would never say Toyota does make a good tuck ... enjoy the back and forth on cars/trucks ... they're after all a lot of fun ...... plus some seem never get out of them .... Check TW .. :biggrin::biggrin:

Udo - 12-17-2016 at 10:34 AM

The vehicle (as you want it) is currently available in the Mexican dealers.

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
When I heard that Chevy was going to offer a turbo diesel option for the Colorado, I checked into it.

What I want is a midsize truck, extended 2 door cab with at least a six foot bed. I would want it basic, ranch tough or military grade with few bells and whistles.

Unfortunately, the diesel will only be offered in the asphalt cowboy, full dress version! Short sighted if you ask me.

bezzell - 12-17-2016 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by o3dave  
Please keep in mind both the Tacoma (Washington) and the Colorado are both named from legalized Marijuana states.

More reason to be above this debate and drive a Jeep.

HIJACK: IDIOT Alert !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNT8Zo_sfwo

chuckie - 12-17-2016 at 04:39 PM

Without even getting into best this, best that..The Tacoma has always been a cheap boring vehicle...AND with the bazillions of recalls that Toyota has had...WHY? would anyone buy any one of their products? The Prius being an exception because Colorado law sez you must buy one or move to Wisconsin...

mtgoat666 - 12-17-2016 at 05:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Without even getting into best this, best that..The Tacoma has always been a cheap boring vehicle

All vehicles are boring. If you want excitement, get out of your car and ride a bike, go for a hike, sail a boat, wrestle an alligator, do meth, or play mumblety peg.

PaulW - 12-19-2016 at 10:12 AM

This thread made me look, even tho I am not a GM fan.
Chevy Colorado ZR2 available soon
4cyl diesel 6 spd auto or V6 with 8 spd auto
4x4 with driver controlled lockers front and rear
extended cab only
Off road suspension
And it has a reliability forecast that is much better than the new Tacoma, but I bet that still is not great???

Now I wonder if Nissan and Ford will try to keep up??

chuckie - 12-19-2016 at 11:06 AM

Precio es ARRIBA!

Doug/Vamonos - 12-20-2016 at 07:01 AM

Buy American. All cars have improved dramatically and I don't believe it is accurate to make blanket statements that US cars and trucks are crap. Yes, I know many car parts are sourced outside the US. But still...buy American. Waving the flag and driving the KIA just does not look right. And last I saw it is not US vessels that are killing the Cortez fisheries. So you can send a message also.

pappy - 12-20-2016 at 08:41 AM

I have a 2001 Chevy that I ordered from factory has over 200k no usage of oil no leaks in other words no reason to get a new one every few years...🙂

chuckie - 12-20-2016 at 08:48 AM

1998 Dodge Cummins...385000 miles....NEWSFLASH!!!! That Submarine off the coast of Baja? recently discussed? Made by TOYOTA, that's why it sunk..recalls pending

pappy - 12-20-2016 at 10:08 AM

I have a 2001 Chevy that I ordered from factory has over 200k no usage of oil no leaks in other words no reason to get a new one every few years...🙂

KurtG - 12-20-2016 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pappy  

2000 Explorer, 4.0 SOHC V-6 4WD just turned 295,000 miles. Engine never touched except for intake manifold gasket and thermostat housing replaced. Burns no oil and no leaks. Starter, alternator, water pump, power steering pump, ac compressor all original. Tranny replaced at 10,000 miles under warranty but no further problem. We're gonna drive it till it dies.

pappy - 12-20-2016 at 10:17 AM

TMW - 12-20-2016 at 10:42 AM

I have a 2004 Tacoma with 438,000 miles and does not use oil between 5,000 mile changes and never had any problems of any kind. Great off-road too. It pulls chevys, Dodge, Ford, and Land rovers out of any difficulty.

chuckie - 12-20-2016 at 11:01 AM

I had a 3 egg omelet for breakfast...Cheese, Jalapenos, Salsa English muffin

gator - 12-20-2016 at 11:06 AM

Regardless of how capable each might be it's nice to see the manufacturers targeting the offroad community with the ZR2, Raptor, Toyota Pro's, Ram Power Wagon and Nissan Pro-4x. But I think the Raptor will be the bar with which all others a measured for sometime. Just my 2 cents.

willardguy - 12-20-2016 at 11:11 AM

I think toyota makes GREAT cars, head gaskets, not so much! I've been walking for a month, this well maintained 4runner only made till the 188K mark......you just never know :(

Mexitron - 12-20-2016 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pappy  

Just sold my 2000 Silverado at 225,000 miles 2 yrs ago, no major problems except some front struts needed replacing--that's a truck that was used for hauling at work and Baja, so well used. Have a 2015 2500 Silverado now--3800 lb weight capacity, great truck.

BajaBreak - 12-20-2016 at 11:54 AM

I replaced the head gaskets and a cracked head 4 years ago on a 1998 Exploder (it had overheated). Cleaned lots of carbon off the pistons. Still going strong.

I saw that they offered a "heavy duty" gasket set for it, which was only $20 more, and went with that. Not sure if it made a difference but they seemed to be better quality, maybe more dense than the other ones. I had wanted to mention it before when I saw your post about doing the head gaskets on your vehicle, willardguy.

That is one job I doubt I will ever do again with the engine in the car! My back is still killing me ... :P

tripledigitken - 12-20-2016 at 01:13 PM

I think toyota makes GREAT cars, head gaskets, not so much! I've been walking for a month, this well maintained 4runner only made till the 188K mark......you just never know :(

I feel your pain.

I had 1990 Toy SR5 4x pickup just out of warrantee, I was the original owner, that blew a head gasket. It was, at the time, a known problem. Toyota would not work with me. My cost was over $1000 to repair. About 2 yrs later it blew a piston at 80,000 miles. At that point there was a recall for the head gasket. Toyota wouldn't work with me on the engine repair. I went as far up as the regional warantee contact for the west coast. They could at least have reinbursed me for the gasket failure, but no. Many would agree the engine failure was related to the head gasket failure. Toyota V6's arn't known for blowing pistons at 80k normally. The engine cost $4k to repair.

I have not owned a Toyota since.

Barry A. - 12-20-2016 at 01:39 PM

My '97 Toy Camry LXT blew it's auto-tranny at 81K miles in 2005 for no apparent reason------very unusual, but stuff does happen----$3100 bucks for a rebuilt dealer-installed. Now has 146K and has been otherwise flawless. I love my Camry, and would definitely own another Toyota.

I am very encouraged to hear some say on this thread that American Cars have improved in quality and reliability-------would love to buy American again, and will strongly consider when the time comes.

rts551 - 12-20-2016 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
Buy American. All cars have improved dramatically and I don't believe it is accurate to make blanket statements that US cars and trucks are crap. Yes, I know many car parts are sourced outside the US. But still...buy American. Waving the flag and driving the KIA just does not look right. And last I saw it is not US vessels that are killing the Cortez fisheries. So you can send a message also.

How can you tell which cars are "American" any more?

PaulW - 12-20-2016 at 02:37 PM

On new vehicles the % of US content is documented on the sticker.
True lots of parts are foreign sourced then vehicle is assembled in the US.

TMW - 12-20-2016 at 03:48 PM

The 4 runner is all Japanese parts and assembly. The Tacoma is assembled in Texas and Baja I don't remember the parts mix but close to 50/50. Tundra is assembled in Texas. I don't know what they did with the SW Indiana plant where they were assembled. Camry is a Kentuck assembly and parts are 60/40 US I think.

It should be noted that at one time the FORD Crown Victoria had so much foreign parts and I believed it was assembled in Mexico that it was considered a foreign vehicle.

There is such a cross of parts and assembly lines around the world that no vehicle is really all US. What about Tesla any foreign parts used?

KurtG - 12-20-2016 at 04:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I have a 2004 Tacoma with 438,000 miles and does not use oil between 5,000 mile changes and never had any problems of any kind. Great off-road too. It pulls chevys, Dodge, Ford, and Land rovers out of any difficulty.

I envy the off-road ability of your Tacoma. While our Explorer has taken us on some pretty rough roads it is not a candidate for the NWT or Mission Santa Maria. A bit of caution is needed and I am always prepared to turn around when the route gets too difficult. I keep fantasizing about what we will get when it finally dies but am beginning to think the damned thing will outlive me.

toyota

J.P. - 12-20-2016 at 06:22 PM

I have to smile when I think about what our Grand Daughter says when she talks about cars she doesn't like. She says I just wouldn't Look Good driving that Car.
I have always felt that way about Toyota for no particular reason other than I just don't think I would look good Driving one.

mtgoat666 - 12-20-2016 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  
I have to smile when I think about what our Grand Daughter says when she talks about cars she doesn't like. She says I just wouldn't Look Good driving that Car.
I have always felt that way about Toyota for no particular reason other than I just don't think I would look good Driving one.

Get a hairstyle and BMI to match your car. Problem solved.

MMc - 12-20-2016 at 07:40 PM

Trucks and tires are the same. My favorites are the ones that get me home.
I don't like diesels because of the cost and getting somebody to work on them in Baja. I like a 8ft bed on my truck with a big cab, so a Toyota and the Canyon are out. I am sure they are great, as are most of the trucks being made today.

[Edited on 12-21-2016 by MMc]

[Edited on 12-21-2016 by MMc]

Doug/Vamonos - 12-21-2016 at 06:53 AM

The truth about vehicle manufacturers today is they are all doing joint projects and have co-ownership. Ford/Mazda. GM/Toyota/Suzuki/Isuzu. Not sure who Dodge is with now. But without a doubt, profits from Toyota/Honda/etc mostly go back to Japan, no matter where they are built or what color the employees on the floor are. Profits from Kia and Hyundai mostly go back to Korea. Japan and Korea, among other asian countries are totally destroying the worlds fisheries and will continue doing so until nothing swims. Buy a Dodge or Chevy or Ford and write a letter to Toyota, Kia, Honda, Hyundai and tell them you didn't buy from them because they are destroying our fisheries. Will it matter? If enough people do it maybe. Full disclosure, I do have a used Suzuki 4x4 in Baja, a Nissan outboard, a Yamaha quad, a Kawasaki street bike, a couple Honda generators, and I bought a Honda Civic CNG for the wife to commute the freeways in years past. But other than that I've been driving Ford trucks and GM cars for twenty years and I'll keep it that way. Love my Powerstroke 6.0 (yep-never lets me down) and my modded Pontiac G8 smokes any ricer I've ever come across. Yep, built by GM in Australia, but a US drive train. End of lecture. Class dismissed. :-)

[Edited on 12-21-2016 by Doug/Vamonos]

[Edited on 12-21-2016 by Doug/Vamonos]

[Edited on 12-22-2016 by Doug/Vamonos]

TMW - 12-21-2016 at 02:08 PM

Everybody loves what they drive until they change to another brand then it is the best. Profits pay stock dividends regardless where the company is located.

For those that think we should not buy foreign vehicles what would happen if the rest of the world stopped buying US cars and trucks. Should everyone stop buying foreign motorcycles and ATV too. What about your shirts, T shirts, socks and underwear. Pull your head out of your a$$ and think about what you are saying and how stupid it is.

Doug/Vamonos - 12-21-2016 at 03:19 PM

Hah hah. Pull my head out of my ass. Nice guy. Happy Holidays.

David K - 12-21-2016 at 06:16 PM

I bought my Toyota brand product from an American dealership, in America. The truck was delivered via an American trucking company (at least from the Baja border, since my truck was made in Baja. American service my truck and on the RARE occasion something breaks, an American will fix it. It runs on American gas (except in Baja) and is lubricated with American made synthetic oils.

Once an American brand makes a mid-size truck with the quality and dependability of a Tacoma, I would buy it... but the last two American brand vehicles I bought (Jeep and Plymouth) were mechanical and financial nightmares.

Sure, someday my Tacoma might break down... but, so far, my three Tacomas have never disappointed me... and it was (today's) Baja Nomad members (Amigos de Baja in 2000) that convinced me to get the Tacoma TRD Truck... especially, Neal Johns!

Happy Festivus!

rts551 - 12-22-2016 at 06:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I bought my Toyota brand product from an American dealership, in America. The truck was delivered via an American trucking company (at least from the Baja border, since my truck was made in Baja. American service my truck and on the RARE occasion something breaks, an American will fix it. It runs on American gas (except in Baja) and is lubricated with American made synthetic oils.

Once an American brand makes a mid-size truck with the quality and dependability of a Tacoma, I would buy it... but the last two American brand vehicles I bought (Jeep and Plymouth) were mechanical and financial nightmares.

Sure, someday my Tacoma might break down... but, so far, my three Tacomas have never disappointed me... and it was (today's) Baja Nomad members (Amigos de Baja in 2000) that convinced me to get the Tacoma TRD Truck... especially, Neal Johns!

Happy Festivus!

Yes, you can justify it any way you want. Its still a foreign vehicle. Most people justify their decisions that way, even as holding the by America flag.

David K - 12-22-2016 at 07:03 AM

Is it more 'honest' to buy a Ford (or ?) that was made in Mexico (or Canada) then bragging how wonderful you are that you bought an American car? I think the Tacoma or Tundra is as much American product as Ford or Chevy if you break it down to what was made where and the nationality of the people who receive an income because of that purchase.... and not repair mechanics only!

My father told me that the American thing to do is buy the best product at the best price. In a market-based economy, competition forces other makers to improve their product or lower their price. The consumer determines what products survive. It's a consumer win-win for quality and price.

mtgoat666 - 12-22-2016 at 08:00 AM

My father told me that the American thing to do is buy the best product at the best price.

Consumerism is one of gringo's ugliest traits. Perhaps only an American would equate shopping to patriotism. Crikey!

rts551 - 12-22-2016 at 08:47 AM

Is it more 'honest' to buy a Ford (or ?) that was made in Mexico (or Canada) then bragging how wonderful you are that you bought an American car? I think the Tacoma or Tundra is as much American product as Ford or Chevy if you break it down to what was made where and the nationality of the people who receive an income because of that purchase.... and not repair mechanics only!

My father told me that the American thing to do is buy the best product at the best price. In a market-based economy, competition forces other makers to improve their product or lower their price. The consumer determines what products survive. It's a consumer win-win for quality and price.

I am so glad to hear this. Hopefully you will also fight against any tariffs that are imposed against foreign manufacturers. Repair mechanics are out there for all makes and models. They are not part of the equation.

Make Toyota great again!

rts551 - 12-22-2016 at 08:50 AM

Nope. No toyotas in this list. Glad I have a RAM (they do not make toy trucks) with 21 MPH and 385 HP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automobile_manufacture...

BajaBreak - 12-22-2016 at 09:48 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1EYyUF6zt0

Relevant part starts at 1:30 ...

David K - 12-22-2016 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Nope. No toyotas in this list. Glad I have a RAM (they do not make toy trucks) with 21 MPH and 385 HP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automobile_manufacture...

LOL... So, I clicked on "Jeep" from your list at that link (Can't get more American than that brand, right?)...

Here are the first words after JEEP:

Jeep is a brand of American automobiles that is a division of FCA US LLC (formerly Chrysler Group, LLC), a wholly owned subsidiary of Fiat

=========================================================

Maybe, just maybe IF American brands built quality products at competitive prices, then they wouldn't need a foreign car company to keep them alive?

David K - 12-22-2016 at 10:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBreak  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1EYyUF6zt0

Relevant part starts at 1:30 ...

Funny movie, but probably realistic for many of those born before the 1950s. My dad's last car was a '73 Ford LTD station wagon with the 460 Lincoln engine. No problem cruising at 90 mph! That was a great car and it even drove to Loerto when it was new, before Hwy. One was finished (~200 unpaved and 60 ungraded dirt miles).

I think it was soon after 1973 that American brands went to hell and that is the reason for the rise of foreign brand popularity. We didn't prefer to buy Japanese, but U.S. automakers pushing low quality junk on us gave us no choice.

BajaBreak - 12-22-2016 at 10:39 AM

I read something recently about Fiat trying to sell off Jeep, Dodge, etc. because it is a mess now. They have millions of recalls that they can't provide parts for. It would be nice if they could sell Jeep off to someone who would bring it back to it's roots. Sad to see as I am a bit of a Mopar fan, but their glory days seem to have ended this decade.

BajaBreak - 12-22-2016 at 10:49 AM

Funny movie, but probably realistic for many of those born before the 1950s. My dad's last car was a '73 Ford LTD station wagon with the 460 Lincoln engine. No problem cruising at 90 mph! That was a great car and it even drove to Loerto when it was new, before Hwy. One was finished (~200 unpaved and 60 ungraded dirt miles).

I think it was soon after 1973 that American brands went to hell and that is the reason for the rise of foreign brand popularity. We didn't prefer to buy Japanese, but U.S. automakers pushing low quality junk on us gave us no choice.

Hah, that picture is awesome!

Yeah, The whole gas rationing thing in the 1970's was really the downfall of American cars. They really had no idea how to build small economical cars, so it opened the market for the Japanese manufacturers. It's hard to have brand loyalty if the vehicle doesn't do what it is supposed to, such as get you from point A to B, safely, and efficiently.

David K - 12-22-2016 at 11:55 AM

Right, but not just about building small cars... We bought a new Jeep Cherokee Chief in 1975, 401 V-8, 12 mpg, and everything failed on that rig, even the GM Turbo 400 transmission, just out of the 12,000 miles warranty! Quality (specially for a Jeep vehicle) was zero on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being perfect.

May, 1975 at my home near Escondido.

After two years, I sold the Jeep and bought a new Subaru 4WD wagon (for what I sold the Jeep for)... Quality was 10! I remember when I took it in for its first servicing and the service manager asked me if there were any problems to fix... I was shocked and then I had to think happily and reply "NO"!

My Jeep was in the shop countless times, and the service manager acted like he hated life and especially Jeep failures. A brand new SUV should not have: the window crank break, the water pump fail, the rear window motor come off its attachment in the tailgate, the low range lever disconnect from the transfer case, the transmission fail, etc... When it wasn't broken, it was a joy to four wheel with and would go everywhere I pointed it.

The little Subaru with 13" tires was even more amazing considering it had a 1.6 liter engine and no low range, just went from FWD (front wheel drive) to 4WD with a pull on the stick... and got 25 mpg. That's when I really amped up my trips to Baja 1977 on.

March, 1978, on Shell Island.

[Edited on 12-22-2016 by David K]

BajaBreak - 12-22-2016 at 03:28 PM

I've always liked those Cherokee Chief's, but man a TH400 trans should last a lot longer! I guess the 401 v8 had good power. Those Baja roads will test anything. Funny, I was about to be born while you had your Subaru parked on Shell Island. Cool little rally style car there.

David K - 12-22-2016 at 04:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBreak  
I've always liked those Cherokee Chief's, but man a TH400 trans should last a lot longer! I guess the 401 v8 had good power. Those Baja roads will test anything. Funny, I was about to be born while you had your Subaru parked on Shell Island. Cool little rally style car there.

I loved that Jeep, but it didn't love me back!

In with the Subaru Four Wheel Drive Wagon:

Here is my 1977.5 Subaru Wagon pre-running the 1979 Baja 1000, between Calamajué Canyon and El Crucero (I actually began at San Matias Pass and was on the race course from there south to El Crucero). That was the section I was to drive during the race. We broke down before getting to my part!

It had the "Safari Package" which was white off road wheels, white grille guard, Subaru 4WD stripes. I added the pair of KC Daylighters and a CB Radio.

stiladam - 12-22-2016 at 04:19 PM

I worked at Jeep in the mid 80's when I was a kid. The V6 Cherokee's were just horrible. Brand new vehicles would leak oil continuously and there wasn't a fix for it. I spent many days going to customers houses to clean driveways.

One of these customers finally had enough. He pulled into the dealership driveway, pulled out a gas can, poured it all over the Cherokee and lit it on fire and watched it burn. Crazy site to see!

[Edited on 12-22-2016 by stiladam]

bkbend - 12-22-2016 at 04:21 PM

The 1975 401 made only 255 HP ( '76 dropped to 215), shouldn't have been enough to take out the tranny.

David K - 12-22-2016 at 04:48 PM

Jeep first used the GM baby V-6 in the small Cherokees before using their own (AMC) big inline 6.

The GM tranny was junk, not the AMC small block 401 (yes, it was the biggest small block I think there ever was... same block as the 304 and 360 V-8).

BajaBreak - 12-22-2016 at 06:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stiladam  
I worked at Jeep in the mid 80's when I was a kid. The V6 Cherokee's were just horrible. Brand new vehicles would leak oil continuously and there wasn't a fix for it. I spent many days going to customers houses to clean driveways.

One of these customers finally had enough. He pulled into the dealership driveway, pulled out a gas can, poured it all over the Cherokee and lit it on fire and watched it burn. Crazy site to see!

[Edited on 12-22-2016 by stiladam]

That is some funny stuff right there! I mean, unless you were one of the people who bought one of those Cherokees. Hahaha

rts551 - 12-22-2016 at 07:59 PM

Jeep first used the GM baby V-6 in the small Cherokees before using their own (AMC) big inline 6.

The GM tranny was junk, not the AMC small block 401 (yes, it was the biggest small block I think there ever was... same block as the 304 and 360 V-8).

The TH350 and bigger brother th400 were/are not junk. You do realize they powered many an off-road race vehicle? They are considered to be quite durable. Maybe it was the driver?

http://www.4x4review.com/the-top-10-off-road-transmissions-o...

[Edited on 12-23-2016 by rts551]

David K - 12-22-2016 at 08:09 PM

Maybe, but not one of my 8 Japanese brand vehicles since (with hundreds of thousands of miles) had any kind of transmission problems, but my Plymouth mini van in the 90s, had multiple transmission failures... it was a common product failure I would learn. No more fool me twice American brands!

TMW - 12-22-2016 at 08:59 PM

A race transmission is not a stock unit used in a competitive race car/truck. It is torn down and rebuilt with some better parts added. For some of the top racers the tranny is rebuilt after so many races especially before the Baja 1000. Only a mom and pop low budget racer would use a tranny out of the box from the manufacture. Some make it some don't.

msteve1014 - 12-22-2016 at 10:02 PM

A race transmission is not a stock unit used in a competitive race car/truck. It is torn down and rebuilt with some better parts added. For some of the top racers the tranny is rebuilt after so many races especially before the Baja 1000. Only a mom and pop low budget racer would use a tranny out of the box from the manufacture. Some make it some don't.

Are you trying to tell us that stock TH400 trans. are junk as DK says??

rts551 - 12-22-2016 at 10:05 PM

Point is TMW, Many would disagree with our experts's statement that "THe GM tranny was junk, ". including the magazine that I posted.

"Only a mom and pop ...." YES I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK... SO.

David. The GM turbo 400 didn't not come in a Plymouth.

willardguy - 12-22-2016 at 10:19 PM

I didn't notice any japanese transmissions on that list.....but if Kman has hundreds of thousands of grueling shell island miles with no issues....how can you argue?

msteve1014 - 12-22-2016 at 10:33 PM

I didn't notice any japanese transmissions on that list.....but if Kman has hundreds of thousands of grueling shell island miles with no issues....how can you argue?

Because he is on his third Toyota and I believe second Subaru to claim those miles.

TMW has more on one truck......even if it is a Toyota.:)

chuckie - 12-22-2016 at 11:01 PM

AND His "off road trips" by his own admission are few and far between. Most of his miles are Kalifornia hiway miles.. Do the math.

rts551 - 12-23-2016 at 06:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
AND His "off road trips" by his own admission are few and far between. Most of his miles are Kalifornia hiway miles.. Do the math.

The Korean tires make it work harder.

:lol::lol::lol:

rts551 - 12-23-2016 at 06:17 AM

Takes a while to find the Toyota in the rankings.

http://www.caranddriver.com/best-pickup-trucks

http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/truckin-every-full-size...

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/tr...

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/best-buy-awards-...

etc

mtgoat666 - 12-23-2016 at 06:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Point is TMW, Many would disagree with our experts's statement that "THe GM tranny was junk, ". including the magazine that I posted.

"Only a mom and pop ...." YES I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK... SO.

David. The GM turbo 400 didn't not come in a Plymouth.

Nothing is more boring than men spouting off their supposed car knowledge!

Speaking of trannys, elinvestg8r is obsessed with them! :lol::lol:

chuckie - 12-23-2016 at 07:21 AM

Maybe your bullchit and whining is more boring?

David K - 12-23-2016 at 07:31 AM

Ralph, if you must reply to my postings, then at least try and use facts...

I never said the GM Turbo 400 was in a Plymouth. It was in my '75 Jeep. The '92 Plymouth was my second American car purchase and it also had two transmission fails.

I have had three Subaru 4WD wagons.
One Mitsubishi Mighty Max truck.
One Mazda MPV van.
Three Toyota Tacomas.
That is 8 Japanese brand vehicles, the first 4 were manual and the second 4 were automatic.

My first vehicle (1973-1975) was a VW Myers Manx dune buggy.

I have had all kinds of tires including Goodyear and BFG.

Not all my trips are serious off roading, but neither are all of anyone else's. Just a representation of typical Baja enthusiasts driving. Mission Santa Maria, the Pole Line Road, and deep sand are tough on transmissions, however.

rts551 - 12-23-2016 at 07:52 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

TMW - 12-23-2016 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  

Are you trying to tell us that stock TH400 trans. are junk as DK says??

No, I am saying that any transmission used in competitive racing is rebuilt to make it more reliable just like the engine. The auto tranny in my new 1991 chevy 4x4 went out at 26,000 miles. It was replace with a 700R4 that lasted over 200,000 miles. In the 90s it was common for GM truck transmissions to fail early. Back then I had many coworkers who lost their GM truck tranny before 30,000 miles in both CA and TX. My 2004 GMC Z71 tranny is going strong at 165,000 miles.

BajaBreak - 12-23-2016 at 09:53 AM

No, I am saying that any transmission used in competitive racing is rebuilt to make it more reliable just like the engine. The auto tranny in my new 1991 chevy 4x4 went out at 26,000 miles. It was replace with a 700R4 that lasted over 200,000 miles. In the 90s it was common for GM truck transmissions to fail early. Back then I had many coworkers who lost their GM truck tranny before 30,000 miles in both CA and TX. My 2004 GMC Z71 tranny is going strong at 165,000 miles.

My 1996 Tahoe trans (4L60E) broke a band, then went out around 12k miles after the first rebuild. I had it rebuilt again with a couple beefier parts (4L80 planetary gears, replaced broken sun shell with stronger unit), and sold it shortly after. The thing never shifted right. First year with the vortec engine, and likely new shifting programming. The 1995 k2500 I have with a 4L80E shifts solid, with 140k mi and I expect it to last a long time. I like the older, hydraulic governer transmissions, because they shift like they are supposed to. I think GM started going electronic around 1991, and Dodge did in 1994, for trucks, at least. The 4L60E transmissions from the 1990's GM vehicles were inconsistent, and I believe there were some large batches that had manufacturing defects.

Those 90's Plymouth minivan transaxles were crap. I remember people going through three rebuilds before 150k miles.

You drive anything hard enough, and get it hot, you can burn up any transmission, or break bands, etc.

If you really want your vehicle to last, keep it cool. Put the biggest radiator in it you can find, put in a cooler thermostat, add a trans and oil cooler, and don't drive it like you're being chased by the cops! You'll likely get another 100k miles, 10 years out of it. Keep the sun off the interior too.

I just looked at that 2017 Chevy Colorado article that was posted earlier. That is a great looking, well engineered truck!

wessongroup - 12-23-2016 at 01:19 PM

BajaBreak ... good advice on the making a transmission last a little longer ... same for the engine :):)