BajaNomad

First Timers, itinerary advice

Psyched - 12-19-2016 at 02:32 PM

I've been lurking on the forum for a while, now we're finally making our first trek down the baja and looking for input. Me, the wife, six kids age 3-15, plus Grandpa & Grandma and a dog (yes, ten people!), driving a Sprinter van towing a 6x12 trailer with off-road suspension.

We are planning to cross the border (where?) on Dec. 21st and head down to Ensenada area to deliver donations and Christmas gifts to the Casa Hogar Buena Vista orphanage and dental clinic on Dec. 22nd. After that, we have eight days and no set plans. We'd love to camp on the beach (no facilities required) or other neat but safe places. I'm thinking we'll head down to Guerrero Negro and see the whales if they're around, then cross over to Bahia LA and come back north on Mex 5 to cross the border at Mexicali.

I'd love input on neat places to visit with the kids. Thanks!

amigobaja - 12-19-2016 at 03:09 PM

My first trip similar to yours was a month long and we did not have near enough time. I personally would not attempt to travel the miles and distance with that many people if I was you. Gerrero Negro would be great if the Whales are there but I think you're to early. If I was you I would not drive further south then L.A bay just so you're not spending all your time on the road. I would actually cross over from Ensenada to San Felipe and explore down to Gonzaga. Theres some great beaches and a lot to do in the short amount of time you have and the hoard you're brining down.
I'm sure you will get plenty of help from others.

DENNIS - 12-19-2016 at 03:21 PM

Great trip, Sr. Psyched.
Well...you won't find much to do in Zorillo, and not to sound alarming........if you don't vigilantly watch your property, you wont find much of that either.
There are beaches out from Santo Tomas, a bit south on your map, but be aware....they're guessing rain 12/22~12/24....probably enough to muddy up the 20 mile drive from Hwy 1 to the water. That should be avoided.
If'n I was you, I would consider "camping" in Punta Banda, in LaJoya or Villarinos on the beach. Easy distance back to Casa Hogar [maybe 20 mi.] as well as Ensenada [20 mi.]. La Bufadora is right over the hill on an xlnt road [5 mi + -].
lemme know if I can answer any questions. Happy to help.

http://www.casahogarcbv.org/about.html

[Edited on 12-19-2016 by DENNIS]

StuckSucks - 12-19-2016 at 03:33 PM

Also, beware of cool/cold temps this time of year. Central Baja can be downright cold overnight, and the Sea of Cortez can be super (north) windy as well.

As already noted, many many remote beaches along the Sea of Cortez.

Spring will have some awesome weather.

fishbuck - 12-19-2016 at 05:40 PM

8 days aren't much. You burned 2 minimum getting to BOLA. Probably 2 back.
If the weather is good spend your 4 remaining days there and explore.
Otherwise your will spend you whole trip on the highway looking out your windshield.
If you want whales blow right past BOLA and drive hard.

[Edited on 12-20-2016 by fishbuck]

redhilltown - 12-19-2016 at 06:34 PM

As stated, that is not a lot of time! Some good advice above...especially the western side will be cold cold. The Cortez can also be cold and windy but the odds are you'll get in some pretty spectacular days in the 70's. I would head over to San Felipe and down the coast to Bahia de Gonzaga after your Ensenada drop off (and good for you do that!). You are set up for dirt roads and can then go past Coco's and back out to Highway 1 for your trip to BOLA. On the return trip you can camp in so many amazing places near Five Islands or even San Felipe to break up the long drive and then cross in the morning. I always cross at Tecate just about no matter what...you'll get lots of pros and cons on this but just a personal choice. Hope you have fun no matter what route/where you do !!!!!

[Edited on 12-20-2016 by redhilltown]

bajaguy - 12-19-2016 at 06:40 PM

Not to throw a wet blanket on your border crossing plans, but you might have trouble with this..."to deliver donations and Christmas gifts to the Casa Hogar Buena Vista orphanage and dental clinic"

Mexican Customs (Aduana) may have a problem with your donations

shari - 12-19-2016 at 06:47 PM

Wow what a crew you have there! There are whales coming into the lagoon at Guerrero Negro every day now and trips start around Xmas. If you want to join me on my first whale trip I will be guiding a group on Jan.4th so I could take your tribe out on the 3rd if you want! You can see what I do at www.whalemagictours.com

You can camp safely at Sta.Rosalillita or Laguna Manuela too or out at the lagoon too...have a blast!

David K - 12-19-2016 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Not to throw a wet blanket on your border crossing plans, but you might have trouble with this..."to deliver donations and Christmas gifts to the Casa Hogar Buena Vista orphanage and dental clinic"

Maybe a little explaining is in order?
While noble to donate used clothing, do not call it that if asked. Just say it's your clothes, which it is. Mexican customs protects clothing business in their country. No matter that you are giving it to people who can't afford to buy clothes.

DENNIS - 12-19-2016 at 08:23 PM

Not only the protectionism at play here. Many Mexicans take offense at being treated like a charity case by North Americans especially. We've had people here, when declaring used clothing for the poor at the border, replied to with statements such as, "we have no poor."
It can be a delicate issue best avoided.

MMc - 12-19-2016 at 08:52 PM

South of San Quintin is La Lobera very cool place to stretch you legs. This is not a destination, just a stop. It's on the right as you head uphill towardsEl Rosario, there is a sign. I would pass on it if it's raining.
BDLA is a day's drive from Ensenada. Before Cativina is a old mining area called El Marmol. It was a Onix mine, it is going back to the desert slowly. The Onix School house falls down a little bit more every year.
I would check out Santa Rosalillita. That town is changing fast and seeing it now is a good thing. Easy day drive from BDLA. The church at San Borja is also cool. There are some indian rock paintings going from BDLA to San Borja also worth seeing.
Just some ideas for you, have a great trip.

willardguy - 12-19-2016 at 09:27 PM

grab yourself one of semi enclosed palapas at rancho grande, you'll find everything you need close by, and safe

Udo - 12-19-2016 at 09:39 PM

The only advice I have from past experience, is that you not put your donation clothes in plastic bags.
Buy some old suit cases or duffle bags at yard sales and take the clothes with you as "baggage."

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Maybe a little explaining is in order?
While noble to donate used clothing, do not call it that if asked. Just say it's your clothes, which it is. Mexican customs protects clothing business in their country. No matter that you are giving it to people who can't afford to buy clothes.

David K - 12-20-2016 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
South of San Quintin is La Lobera very cool place to stretch you legs. This is not a destination, just a stop. It's on the right as you head uphill towardsEl Rosario, there is a sign. I would pass on it if it's raining.
BDLA is a day's drive from Ensenada. Before Cativina is a old mining area called El Marmol. It was a Onix mine, it is going back to the desert slowly. The Onix School house falls down a little bit more every year.
I would check out Santa Rosalillita. That town is changing fast and seeing it now is a good thing. Easy day drive from BDLA. The church at San Borja is also cool. There are some indian rock paintings going from BDLA to San Borja also worth seeing.
Just some ideas for you, have a great trip.

ONYX CAPITAL OF BAJA (The World?): http://vivabaja.com/marmol/
(photos from 2006)

MORE (from 2011): http://vivabajablog.blogspot.com/2011/07/lost-mission-expedi...

The history story (an article from Baja Bound): https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/the_onyx...

David K - 12-20-2016 at 09:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
I'm with the head over to San Felipe via Ensenada and take the drive down to Gonzaga Bay. We just spent 4 days at Campo Beluga ($20 per night for Palapa) and there's a Mexican family there that are very accommodating (Jesus, Leticia and 3 little girls). They also have bungalows for rent if the wind is to much for a tent. As well they have showers and flush toilets there that we found to be clean and well maintained. We were there over Thanksgiving and it was beautiful 3 of the 4 days.
Jesus and Leticia also welcomed our family in of 17 to cook a turkey dinner meal on their stove!
Rancho Grande has a store and hit or miss gas station as well as a camp grounds with palapas and very rustic toilets. Having camped in both places we prefer the quiet of Beluga. If you want some semi-isolation give Papa Fernandez's place a try but they also have very rustic toilets and you may need to hold a towel up for a door if you want privacy :)

Thank you for the update!
I was impressed with Beluga when we camped there in 2007, but have not camped at Gonzaga since.

(2011 photo)

CaboMagic - 12-20-2016 at 09:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
Not only the protectionism at play here. Many Mexicans take offense at being treated like a charity case by North Americans especially. We've had people here, when declaring used clothing for the poor at the border, replied to with statements such as, "we have no poor."
It can be a delicate issue best avoided.

Very well said Dennis, thank you .. sometimes 'visitors/guests' have a vision of All-Things-Mexico being orphanages and cardboard shack homes - not to say there isn't plenty of that, I think the pride of the people and probably some other psychologically-explained reason prefer to view the glass half-full. Operative word definitely pride ..

To the original poster, I think you've received lots of really good advice - have a wonderful Family trip!

Peace and happy holidays all :D

bajamary1952 - 12-20-2016 at 10:11 AM

Amigobaga:
Where did you cross over from Ensenada to San Felipe without going on dirt roads? I'm looking at that area but traveling solo & everything I read said the roads around that area are crappy.

bajamary1952 - 12-20-2016 at 10:19 AM

A couple of years ago when I was living in Rosarito I used to bring the 40-50 lb. bags of dog food thru San Ysidro and customs always let me pass because I had a letter in Spanish that I was bringing to a charity. So you might try that and see if it helps. It seems immigration is always more lenient if you are an older female traveling alone. Never had any problems getting anything across; and of course I spoke Spanish.

DENNIS - 12-20-2016 at 10:42 AM

[rquote]=1060693&tid=85199&author=CaboMagic
Very well said Dennis, thank you .. sometimes 'visitors/guests' have a vision of All-Things-Mexico being orphanages and cardboard shack homes - not to say there isn't plenty of that[/rquote]
=================================

Thanks, Lori. Merry Christmas to all down there.
By the way...one more indelible stereotypical vision...my favorite......the Mexican peon leaning against a cactus to grab a siesta.
Now.....who in their right mind would lean against the walls of hell?

http://www.dailygrail.com/files/images/blogs/mexicano1.jpg

[Edited on 12-20-2016 by DENNIS]

David K - 12-20-2016 at 04:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamary1952  
Amigobaga:
Where did you cross over from Ensenada to San Felipe without going on dirt roads? I'm looking at that area but traveling solo & everything I read said the roads around that area are crappy.

What area specifically?

The Ensenada to San Felipe highway has been a pretty great paved road most years.

Mexico Hwy 3 (Ensenada to Hwy. 5, 31 miles north of San Felipe) was paved fully around 1978 (It was BC Hwy. 16 back then).

The original Hwy. 3 is Tecate to Ensenada (El Sauzal actually), paved in 1961. That they used the same highway number for the Ensenada to San Felipe road is sometimes confusing.

PaulW - 12-20-2016 at 04:50 PM

Hwy 3 is good from Ensenada to Hwy 5. Several new stretches of pavement and several stretches with pot holes repaired. Not an issue.
Hwy 5 to San Felipe is new and is great.