BajaNomad

Best affordable (?) Tequila in Baja

kevin_in_idaho - 12-19-2016 at 04:51 PM

Ok, I couldn't find this anywhere in the forum.

Looking for recommendations on the best tequila's that maybe you can only get down in Baja/Mexico.

When I say budget I guess I'm thinking in the $20 range for 750ml. I wonder what Costco has for sale?

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin

willardguy - 12-19-2016 at 05:21 PM

I'll throw out a vote for gran centenario

MMc - 12-19-2016 at 05:36 PM

30, 30 is very good, hard to find and best at room temp.

blackwolfmt - 12-19-2016 at 05:47 PM

Good thing its hard to find.I need my any good silver tequila ice cold.I find I can drink more that way

Sauza-silver-70cl.jpg.cf[1440].jpg - 59kB

weebray - 12-19-2016 at 05:50 PM

You're going to get scads of suggestions on this one but truly there is no "best". Best is subjective and varies according to ones taste. For instance I like Cuervos "Tradicional" for everyday use but some of my friends think it's rotgut. It's going to take some serious tasting and years of debauchery to figure out what floats your boat. Happy trails!

blackwolfmt - 12-19-2016 at 06:00 PM

WORD:cool:
Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
You're going to get scads of suggestions on this one but truly there is no "best". Best is subjective and varies according to ones taste. For instance I like Cuervos "Tradicional" for everyday use but some of my friends think it's rotgut. It's going to take some serious tasting and years of debauchery to figure out what floats your boat. Happy trails!

redhilltown - 12-19-2016 at 06:22 PM

"For everyday use" may be the best line on Nomads all year!!:bounce:

kevin_in_idaho - 12-19-2016 at 06:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
WORD:cool:

That is true but it's a start and if I see some at the store I'll know someone likes it :-)

wilderone - 12-19-2016 at 06:35 PM

There is a small market in centro Ensenada that has over 100 kinds of tequila. Don't remember the name, but if you go to the Artisan Plaza on the main drag near the cruise boat landing and ask at the Galleria Perez Mellon (or something like that) Adalberto Perez Mellon will tell you where it is. Adalberto organized a tequila tasting event years ago and this small liquor store was on the circuit of activities for the event. Definitely worth finding if you're interested in tequila. Tell Adalberto I said hello.

The BEST Taste Test

MrBillM - 12-19-2016 at 06:59 PM

Of ANY liquor should be straight at room temp.

OK, Beer (and some Wines) should be Cool, but not Cold.

mtgoat666 - 12-19-2016 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kevin_in_idaho  
Ok, I couldn't find this anywhere in the forum.

Looking for recommendations on the best tequila's that maybe you can only get down in Baja/Mexico.

When I say budget I guess I'm thinking in the $20 range for 750ml. I wonder what Costco has for sale?

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin

If you are making mixed drinks, especially sugar bombs like margs, then any cheap tequila will do.
If you are looking for sipping straight, with side of sangrita, then you'll have to spend more than $20, if you want enjoyable sipping.
If you just want to shoot shots, with salt/lime, like a drunk at cabo wabo, use the cheap.

[Edited on 12-20-2016 by mtgoat666]

bajaguy - 12-19-2016 at 07:16 PM

At COSTCO, Elixir De Agave El Capricho Maduro 750 ML, great sipping stuff - straight.....about 107 pesos per bottle

https://www.zeetequila.com/products/El-Capricho-Maduro-Agave...

[Edited on 12-20-2016 by bajaguy]

motoged - 12-19-2016 at 07:16 PM

Don Julio Reposada..... it cured me of my dislike for how tequila tasted.....sipped and enjoyed.....as "everyday use"....Cuervo Tradicional is pretty good sipping for less expensive plonk....great for Margs....

And I just haven't ventured into many others....Costco Reposada was pretty good for the $20 mark.....

kiterkip - 12-19-2016 at 07:24 PM

If you plan to mix it margaritas.... Don Roberto at the green Bodega Stores (a subsidiary of Walmart) has always been cheap and good 'nuff. Probably at Walmart too. It's maybe the cheapest.

[Edited on 12-20-2016 by kiterkip]

shari - 12-19-2016 at 07:25 PM

Coralejo hands down! It is that beautiful tall blue bottle and is great for sipping. Super Ley supermarkets has it on sale now.

but my favorite is a tequila mixed with damiana and it comes in a squat roundish low bottle that is like a leaf carved into the blue/green glass bottle...I cant remember what it's called but it's lovely.

David K - 12-19-2016 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
I'll throw out a vote for gran centenario

This was the the winner one year at the Pyramid Resort Tequila tasting contest. Very smooth!

monoloco - 12-19-2016 at 07:31 PM

I'm partial to Cazadores.

David K - 12-19-2016 at 07:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Coralejo hands down! It is that beautiful tall blue bottle and is great for sipping. Super Ley supermarkets has it on sale now.

but my favorite is a tequila mixed with damiana and it comes in a squat roundish low bottle that is like a leaf carved into the blue/green glass bottle...I cant remember what it's called but it's lovely.

Agavero. It is excellent, ran out, need more!

AKgringo - 12-19-2016 at 07:48 PM

For drinking tequila on a budget, you should stay with O.P. tequila whenever possible (that's other people's)!

Lee - 12-19-2016 at 08:15 PM

Taste might be subjective, quality is not. Some probably think Cuervo Gold taste as good as Don Patron Resposado. Go figure.

Costco Kirkland Silver at $10.00 for Margs.

Sipping: Cabo Wabo Plata.

DocRey - 12-19-2016 at 09:17 PM

Mercado Del Mar in Popotla has a pretty awesome selection of every tequila there is (IMHO).

Udo - 12-19-2016 at 09:46 PM

I'll vote for El Charro tequila. About 162 Pesos for a liter and the package comes with a 250 ml. bottle.

It is available at Licores Don Pisto in the Rosarito area. Calimax, and Commercial Mexicana grocery stores.

I'll also throw a vote for Kirkland silver, available both in the USA and Baja Costcos. Last I remember, it was REALLY reasonable.

8knots - 12-19-2016 at 10:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
At COSTCO, Elixir De Agave El Capricho Maduro 750 ML, great sipping stuff - straight.....about 107 pesos per bottle

https://www.zeetequila.com/products/El-Capricho-Maduro-Agave...

[Edited on 12-20-2016 by bajaguy]

This really is good stuff and the price for the quality is hard to beat.

Sweetwater - 12-20-2016 at 05:37 PM

If you are buying, please stock this

Another fav is any of these

Martyman - 12-21-2016 at 12:46 PM

I agree with you Shari about the taste... but the damn tall bottles!!! Have a couple shot and a couple doobies and somebody will knock it over and no more Correlejo!

Mexitron - 12-21-2016 at 01:04 PM

Correlejo is good, and second on the darn tall bottles. Used to love Chinaco for sipping but pricey and maybe not as good as it once was (or my taste buds have gotten better). Eons ago our choice for the weekend Baja trip was a bottle of Orendain Anejo--came with a ceramic shotglass too--for $3.50 it was pretty smooth. No idea what it costs now and probably not as good as I remember.

soylent_green - 12-21-2016 at 01:13 PM

"La Catrina" Tequileria y Mezcaleria in the Soriana Hipermarket parking lot in Ensenada
Reforma and Delante - road heading south of town.

Same owner as Mercado Del Mar in Popotla. The Ensenada store doesnt have as good as a selection as the Popotla store, but honestly that would almost be impossible to duplicate.

I've never seen a better collection of tequilas than Mercado Del Mar on both sides of the border. Id bet you would have to go to Jalisco to find something comparable. Don Blas, the owner, is a great resource and can recommend to you something for your specific tastes.

---
Low cost mixing blanco - Purasangre Blanco Liter bottle. Something like $200 pesos. Best deal in town.

Best "blow your socks off" Blanco - Tapatio 110 proof

Best sipping Blanco for non tequila drinkers - Clase Azul, but not cheap

====

Great place in TJ for tequila and all spirits is La Playa chain's Tijuana store on Paseo de Los Heroes. Mexican version of Bevmo.

[Edited on 12-21-2016 by soylent_green]

bajabuddha - 12-21-2016 at 01:38 PM

Triple dittos on Corralejo. It'll run about $24 (u.s.) a bottle in Baja, is $46 here in the States. A fine sipping tequila, I won't even put it on ice. Buy the blue bottle, don't waste your money on the red one. Also a good tequila WILL spoil, so use in a timely fashion. If you want to mix or do 'shooters' buy a cheaper brand.

kevin_in_idaho - 12-21-2016 at 03:22 PM

Shari,
Thanks. Are the Super Ley markets all around Baja or is there a better place to get tequila? Mercardo or ????

chippy - 12-21-2016 at 03:27 PM

I donīt know abaout sams club baja but down here I can get Cazadores 1.75 litres for under 300 mxn;).