BajaNomad

Ensenada Bypass Reconsidered

bajaguy - 12-20-2016 at 08:19 AM

That didn't take long

http://www.ensenada.net/noticias/nota.php?id=47487

Google English Translation

David K - 12-20-2016 at 08:28 AM

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&...

Inquiring minds want to know!

Whale-ista - 12-20-2016 at 03:56 PM

Whew- thanks for the link Dave-- but the translation needs a translation...

Can a local please summarize/describe the current situation in understandable language?

Is this the "bypass" that starts north of town, off the Hwy. to Tecate, then heads south via the hills east of town?

Will it only be used by passenger vehicles, and become a toll road, instead of general use highway? (new proposals, apparently)

And- Is it already operational, but not completed- and the ultimate plan is to extend it all the way to Maneadero?

Thanks for corrections/clarifications.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&...

David K - 12-20-2016 at 04:08 PM

That's what I get out of that link, but I only glanced at it this morning. Maybe BajaGuy or another bi-lingual Nomad can tell us more?

Udo - 12-20-2016 at 04:49 PM

The bypass, as it is in it's current configuration, is unusable by almost no one.
The road from the Tecate-Ensenada road is only paved for a handful of miles.
By the end of the pavement, there is a dirt road that goes for another mile, but that is it.
I have heard some construction machinery in the area, but that is it.

The FEDS are trying to send the truck traffic on that road when it is finished, because the trucks are causing severe damage to the roads they currently share with local traffic in Ensenada.

The ultimate plan is to send the traffic on that road past Maneadero.

This my personal point of view regardless of what is written in this article. The same sort of post has appeared once in a while on other written materials.

David K - 12-20-2016 at 04:56 PM

So, not even good for a short cut to get to then San Felipe highway from the north?

Hook - 12-20-2016 at 05:17 PM

"....unusable by almost no one".

Isn't that a double-negative that actually cancels out and means it's usable by everyone?

Signed,
The Grammar N-a-z-i.

Hey, we have a Spelling N-a-z-i, why not a Grammar N-a-z-i? :smug:

[Edited on 12-21-2016 by Hook]

DENNIS - 12-20-2016 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
The FEDS are trying to send the truck traffic on that road when it is finished, because the trucks are causing severe damage to the roads they currently share with local traffic in Ensenada.

The ultimate plan is to send the traffic on that road past Maneadero.

I think they're just caught up in a thoughtless spending frenzy, Udo. Your reasoning doesn't hold a lotta water given all [as in many] businesss in and around the city, retailing and manufacturing , that rely on trucking for materials and freight, coming and going. The Ensenada plot-plan started small and never came to its senses by considering growth. I mean...loading docks on Reforma? C'mon folks. Wake up.

mtgoat666 - 12-20-2016 at 06:20 PM

Ensenada urban core and hwy 1 route in city is pretty crowded. The city could use a beltway bypass. Hope it happens.

DENNIS - 12-20-2016 at 07:26 PM

Yes, crowded, as you mention. But as I pointed out, a large part of the crowding is from servicing the infrastructure.
The city has allowed businesses to pile up internally rather than imposing zoning control and offering benefits to build and grow with the perimeter. It's still the prevailing thought that if a business isn't located on Main Street [Reforma], it's doomed to inviability. It's as though they ignore the power of advertising in favor of visibility.
Freight traffic will continue to strangle city streets.

monoloco - 12-20-2016 at 08:44 PM

Let me know when they have a bypass that starts north of Ensenada and comes out south of San Quintin.

David K - 12-20-2016 at 10:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Let me know when they have a bypass that starts north of Ensenada and comes out south of San Quintin.

Yes, it's called Hwy. 5! ;)

Bypass

J.P. - 12-20-2016 at 10:34 PM

as i remember wasn't the original reason for that that bypass to expedite the anticipated truck traffic from the proposed port at Clonett around Ensenada and when the development of the new port was halted the work on the bypass stopped also.

Hook - 12-21-2016 at 06:42 AM

Man, I really dont miss driving the whole TJ-San Quintin corridor. I think the last time I did it was 2007 and I was towing a 25 foot boat. It was awful back then, must be horrendous now.

I am going to take full advantage of Hwy 5 when it is complete. Wont be towing the 25er, though.

motoged - 12-21-2016 at 08:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
"....unusable by almost no one".

Isn't that a double-negative that actually cancels out and means it's usable by everyone?

Signed,
The Grammar N-a-z-i.

Hey, we have a Spelling N-a-z-i, why not a Grammar N-a-z-i? :smug:

[Edited on 12-21-2016 by Hook]

Ya don't have to be a nutzi to speak the Queen's English as intended ...

But as pointed out previously, not all Nomads completed grade four grammar....even after their third try :biggrin:

DENNIS - 12-21-2016 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  
as i remember wasn't the original reason for that that bypass to expedite the anticipated truck traffic from the proposed port at Clonett around Ensenada and when the development of the new port was halted the work on the bypass stopped also.

Think you're right, John. They had big plans, and probably some federal funding which needed to be used or lost.

bypass

J.P. - 12-21-2016 at 09:27 AM

The reason for the Clonett port was China could not come to terms with the LONG SHORE MAN'S UNION IN SO..CAL. And in a attempt to break the union they pushed hard for the new port $$$$$$$. Then

they settled with the Union and the Port thing fell apart.

bajaguy - 12-21-2016 at 10:04 AM

The road was "supposed" to be a truck bypass, avoiding driving through Ensenada (see Dennis's comments above) and exiting south of Manadero near Zorrillo.

There were "supposed" to be four (4) exit/entrance ramps that led to various parts of Ensenada for delivery of goods locally

From Hwy 3 the road was wide enough for four (4) lanes to accommodate truck traffic....... however the roadway narrowed to two (2) lanes.....Pure crap for a bypass as it didn't allow for trucks to pass each other (safely).....there are no safe on/off ramps and no merge lanes for trucks to enter the traffic flow.

Add to the mix passenger cars darting between the trucks and passing in opposite lanes....

So far, the only off/on ramp is at Ave Ruiz.....vehicles have to cross in front of oncoming traffic to exit the bypass

Ave Ruiz from the bypass to Ambar is not built or stressed for heavy truck traffic and the intersection at Ruiz and Ambar is another nightmare not designed for large trucks

The hillside cuts are too steep resulting in rock slides that have damaged the pavement causing potholes. Hillside cuts are nearly vertical (as in most of Mexico), not using the "standard" 1 ft height to 2' horizontal setback

There is no drainage resulting in roadbed undermining (see the slope eroding on the west side of the bypass at hwy 3).

All in all, another great idea turned to crap........somebody has their hands in the checkbook