BajaNomad

First Time, So Cal to La Ventana

mauinate - 12-20-2016 at 09:00 AM

Been browsing a while, first time posting. Thank you all for the great info, stories and photos!

My wife, 2 dogs and I are headed to La Ventana soon, we need to be there no later than Jan 6th. We are in So Cal, and are willing to cross at any crossing. I'll be driving an '89 ford 4x4 van, and towing a 23' lifted toy hauler. Taking lots of kite gear, surfboards, 2 bikes, and 2 paddle boards down in the trailer and staying for about 2 months. We have a wedding to attend at Rock Point the end of Feb.

I'm planning on taking the Mex 5 down, I've never seen the Sea of Cortez. I'm stuck on a few things and need some advice!

Unfortunately, we are in a slight hurry to get down there for an event, but we will have a few weeks to explore on the way back up to the wedding. I really don't want to drive at night, and I drive like an old lady (pretty slow).

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! I've been reading a lot, but the amount of info is overwhelming sometimes :) Thank you all and Merry Christmas!

:D

David K - 12-20-2016 at 09:21 AM

Welcome to Nomad!

Baja is so much to so many, it really needs multiple trips to grasp all that is there, and then that is still not enough.

We had a fantastic 15 day trip in 2012 to the tip and back. Have a look at my photo web pages from that trip and if anything pops out you think looks like something you want to see or do, I (and others here) can add!

HERE: http://vivabaja.com/712/

My web page has tons more trips and links to help plan your adventure to Baja!: http://vivabaja.com

TecateRay - 12-20-2016 at 03:55 PM

If you're in a hurry to get down to LaVentana cross in Tijuana and take Mexico Hwy 1 all the way down to La Paz. You can do the other exploring on the way back. You can still spend time at some of the best beaches along Conception Bay, see San Ignacio, Cataviņa, and other great sights along Hwy 1.

David K - 12-20-2016 at 04:26 PM

Hwy. 5 (even with 23 dirt miles) is a WHOLE LOT EASIER!
However, if you are in San Diego, then the 2 hours crossing the mountain to Calexico/Mexicali must be added. Motorhomes and trailers should wait until the paving is all in (maybe 2 more years?).

You just don't have a dozen or more towns and cities south of the border towns to deal with on 5, no Santo Tomas mountain roads or detours either, just San Felipe town stop signs and that is pretty painless (plus they have fish tacos).

mauinate - 12-21-2016 at 08:42 AM

Thank you both! David, I have read your adventures, thank you! My main concern is fuel, timing, and a safe place to stay the night along the way.

Should I try and make San Felipe or Puertecitos on day one, or cross the border early and try for Guerre Negro? At my fastest I'm about 60mph. The dirt part of the 5 doesn't bother me or my rig.

Thanks!

El Jefe - 12-21-2016 at 09:24 AM

Sounds like you would prefer to go down 5. If it were me, I would cross the border into Mexicali at dawn. Get through town before people are up and miss traffic. Then you will have just enough daylight to make it to Guererro Negro, winter days being short. Just watch out for those world class vados between San Felipe and Puertecitos. You can seriously get air.

I prefer two nights on the road, although it can be done in one overnight. But you would be pushing it and might get stuck driving in the dark. So you may want to think about a second overnight in Ciudad Constitution. There is a trailer park just south of town on the right called "Palapa 206" that is usually almost empty but safe to stay in.

Next day is an easy run into La Paz for supplies and then out to the beach. And of course make note of all the cool places you pass on the Sea of Cortez for your trip north. El Requeson is our favorite.

[Edited on 12-21-2016 by El Jefe]

philodog - 12-24-2016 at 04:49 PM

Mex 5 is so much easier. Do the east crossing at Mexicali, better for a long rig. Pull into the far right lane that says Declare and tell them you want a visa. This year they let us park right in the lane of traffic to get the visa! But if they don`t there is long pull thru parking just 25 yards away. Ask them where it is, even though its close it is not obvious. If you don`t get in the Declare lane you may not be able to make the turn into the parking with your long rig. Fill up in Calexico, top off in San Felipe and Bahia Gonzaga and that will get you to the next gas in Jesus Villa Maria. If you get nervous there are pickup trucks that sell gas out of barrels at the Bay of LA turnoff and some other spots. I would feel comfortable camping just about anywhere along Mex 5 away from and not visible from the road. Never had a problem. We cross early and camp near Cocos Corner arriving in the late afternoon. From there San Ignacio is an easy drive. Rice and Beans is easy on/ easy off but kind of a dump. THe campground about a mile towards the town, off Hwy one on the right is fine and cheap. Then we stop in Loreto at the Desert Inn. $50, big clean rooms on the beach, dog friendly. Getting to G Negro from the border is too long a day and you don`t want to get stuck on Hwy One at night. As for money I exchange a $1000 for pesos in Calexico and split it up into a few places. See you in LV.

mauinate - 12-24-2016 at 05:14 PM

Thank you!!!!!

David K - 12-25-2016 at 12:52 PM

In Baja, everything works out!

mauinate - 1-15-2017 at 10:48 AM

So, east Mexicali sucks for long rigs. The X-ray is almost impossible to make the turn into and out of. Other than that, the crossing was painless. 23' trailer and E-350 Van. Thanks for the advice everyone.