BajaNomad

Meat/Fruit/Veggie regulation enforcement

Bluto - 12-20-2016 at 09:36 AM

I usually cross into Mexico thru Tecate but recently I have noticed that they are enforcing the regulation on what meats/fruits/vegetables you can bring with you. I was just curious if anyone knew if this was also being enforced at Otay Mesa and San Ysidro?

We are planning a trip down to baja after Christmas and we usually bring our own food with us. If these regulations are not being enforced at the other border crossing points then we can plan on going thru there. If they are being enforced then we will plan on stopping by Calimax....

[Edited on 12-20-2016 by Bluto]

bajaguy - 12-20-2016 at 09:43 AM

In the last 10 years we have never had a problem with food, crossing about once a month, even when we are checked. When we cross at Tecate, the Aduana doesn't seem to move from leaning on their truck, never been stopped there

Bluto - 12-20-2016 at 10:47 AM

I've never had an issue before until a few weeks ago when I crossed thru Tecate I had about 40 bucks worth of basic groceries and they informed that I could no longer bring that into Mexico. That they were going to just give me a warning this time but that next time that they may be confiscated or that I can be returned back to the USA.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had noticed anything lately crossing thru Otay or San Ysidro.

Lee - 12-20-2016 at 11:46 AM

No logic or consistency in enforcing food. Luck of the draw. May or may not be happening at Tecate next week.

I've been asked at the GN AG checkpoint if I had meat or fruit in my RV -- then was boarded and fridge checked. That was long time ago.

ehall - 12-20-2016 at 01:02 PM

I would be more concerned coming back. Friends were fined $300 by homeland security for bringing eggs and open lunch meat across the border at Lukeville.

willardguy - 12-20-2016 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
I would be more concerned coming back. Friends were fined $300 by homeland security for bringing eggs and open lunch meat across the border at Lukeville.

:o holy chit, times they are a changin!

Bluto - 12-20-2016 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

Now that would put a damper on my day for sure.

[Edited on 12-20-2016 by Bluto]

DENNIS - 12-20-2016 at 02:58 PM

That's just crazy. My guess is they had had some declaration issues. These are the wrong people to try and deceive.

Ron in BC - 12-20-2016 at 03:54 PM

Coming back through Tecate this year was the worst border crossing ever. We didn't realize until we were in the "chute" that there was no place to stop and dispose of 1/2 grapefruit we hadn't eaten. Pulled up to the booth, asked to throw the grapefruit in the garbage. Bam, secondary inspection and a very nasty time.

We didn't try and hide it or wait until we were questioned and the info pried out us, it didn't matter they said, you commited an offence. When I pointed out that entering by boat or crossings into Alaska we could dispose of items they said, "different border crossing, different rules"

Next crossing back from Baja won't be at Tecate.

Ron

TMW - 12-20-2016 at 03:56 PM

I either dump in a trash can or give away any fruit, veggies, meat and excess beer coming back across the border to the US. IO don't want the hassle.

Bob and Susan - 12-20-2016 at 04:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bluto  
...We are planning a trip down to baja after Christmas and we usually bring our own food with us....[Edited on 12-20-2016 by Bluto]

why bring all your food...fruits and veggies taste better here

meat is available too...this is 2016

remember people that live in baja dont drive to the grocery store in the USA just to get food...

lots of stores here

just drive down

David K - 12-20-2016 at 04:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I either dump in a trash can or give away any fruit, veggies, meat and excess beer coming back across the border to the US. IO don't want the hassle.

Seriously, this is easier than arguing with the border officer. Limes are permitted, but because they are "like oranges" he sent us to secondary who looked at the slip and laughed, said "limes?!" and then sending us on without any searching.

Eggs and pork or chicken meat has NEVER been permitted, so that is not a surprise. But a fine would be called for only of they did not disclose they had that or lied... I would think.

Seriously, the border officers have been a strange mix of professional and nice (typical for always) to a few weirdos mixed in the past 8 years. Tecate has the occasional weirdo, but it still beats the border wait at Tijuana and usually Mexicali.

bajatrailrider - 12-20-2016 at 05:30 PM

Never had a problem meat veggies Crossing TJ or Otay. Have heard this problem at Tecate. Also with dog food at Tecate they have sent people back. I bring two 50 pound bags across TJ no problems. As far as buying good meat in Baja good luck on that garbage.

BajaBlanca - 12-21-2016 at 07:32 AM

we will be able to report on entering Mexico TJ in a week.

our friend has to pay duty bigtime in Tecate last week for having food. He was shocked out of his wits since he has crossed there numerous times a year for years. Times have changed.

oladulce - 12-21-2016 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bluto  
I usually cross into Mexico thru Tecate but recently I have noticed that they are enforcing the regulation on what meats/fruits/vegetables you can bring with you. I was just curious if anyone knew if this was also being enforced at Otay Mesa and San Ysidro?

4 days ago we returned heading South thru Tecate towing a small travel trailer. We don't bring uncooked meats or fresh produce from the US but this was our bi-annual Trader Joe's/Costco/online shopping stock-up trip and the trailer was packed to the gills with stuff that makes life in remote BCS just a little bit better.

The border inspection began as usual with the agent asking about specific items in the truck bed, which was a couple of empty ice chests and spare truck parts and vehicle/trailer tools for travel. As he proceeded for the trailer inspection he asked my husband what we had in it and he replied "just food". One step in to the trailer he asked "well, how much did you spend on food?"

Taken aback, while stalling for time, my husb replied "uh... my wife does the shopping...". At that moment good karma appeared in the form of a huge 5th wheel trailer that pulled up along side us in the only other border crossing lane and the agent saw the traffic backing up and stepped out of the trailer and told us to go.

If they start asking for the $ value of any food you bring across the border it will be a bummer.

larryC - 12-21-2016 at 11:50 AM

A friend of mine crossed at Tecate in mid October. He was turned around and had to hand carry his meat back across the border back into the US and get rid of it. I am hearing more and more of this at Tecate.

bajaguy - 12-21-2016 at 12:22 PM

Returned to Ensenada last Wednesday, crossed at Tecate after shopping in Phoenix and Yuma (many holiday food items). Driving a Tacoma with a shell....... didn't even look at me as I passed through the gates

ehall - 12-21-2016 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Never had a problem meat veggies Crossing TJ or Otay. Have heard this problem at Tecate. Also with dog food at Tecate they have sent people back. I bring two 50 pound bags across TJ no problems. As far as buying good meat in Baja good luck on that garbage.

Looks like I'm smuggling steak next time I come down.

bajaguy - 12-21-2016 at 01:55 PM

Steaks at COSTCO in Ensenada are excellent, as well as meats at the San Nicholas carnicerķa (across Hwy 1 from the Soriana/Office Depot). The San Nicholas will cut your steaks (NY's and Rib Eye's) the way you want

DENNIS - 12-21-2016 at 02:39 PM

I've heard Sonora beef gets a pretty high rating.

[Edited on 12-21-2016 by DENNIS]

hermosok123 - 12-21-2016 at 03:08 PM

Several months ago I spent 2 hours at Mexican customs waiting for the female officer to decide to assist us in paying our duties. We had 3 solar panels and payed the 16% tax. On to the food: the Mexican national I was with was chatting with the 4 other Mexican crossers and the topic of food came up. It was their opinion that it is a tit for tat deal and that they never get hassled. This time of year for nationals you can bring 500usd worth of goods across excepting construction stuff. 300usd for gringos. The locals were of the opinion that without a receipt they can turn you around. If you wait for a big truck or trailer to cross in front of you chances are better you will skate. Better a van.

bajaguy - 12-22-2016 at 07:56 PM

Came southbound through San Ysidro this afternoon (3:15pm)

Flagged into "secondary" and the Aduana guy looked in my ice chest (full of various types of food, dairy, meat and veggies and also a couple of Trader Joe's bags full of food..........his response was "have a Merry Christmas

Bluto - 12-23-2016 at 12:31 PM

That's what we are doing then..going thru San Ysidro.

monoloco - 12-23-2016 at 02:50 PM

"The Ministry of Agriculture prohibits the following goods since they represent a great risk for the introduction of plagues and diseases: earth, straw, padded containers of hay, straw decorations without processing; homemade foods; flours of animal origin; fresh, dry, canned or frozen meat and meat products, such as smoky, salted and mature sausages that have been elaborated in countries under absolute quarantine (Europe, Africa, Asia and South America). For additional information please visit the website" www.sagarpa.gob.mx"https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/reinounido/index.php/es/visas/79
If it is not on the prohibited list, you can bring it into Mexico, but they may charge you a duty if they determine that it's beyond a reasonable amount for personal use.
https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/reinounido/index.php/es/visas/7...

[Edited on 12-23-2016 by monoloco]

BajaMama - 12-24-2016 at 08:45 AM

When I cross I have a refrigerator in the back of my SUV filled with food. I also have fishing gear, etc. They ask me if I am on vacation and I always say yes. Never searched. Same at military checkpoints. They want tourist dollars and are doing a good job. But if you say you have a house (like my father in law) you will get your vehicle searched and x-rayed!