BajaNomad

Seeking Info about 2 Surfers

tbriner - 12-20-2016 at 12:38 PM

UPDATE: 12/23/16

Thanks again to everyone for sharing, and spreading word. We received a few calls from fellow surfers tonight and they are indeed okay and waiting for the truck to get fixed. I can't thank you all enough and express gratitude from myself, my family, and all of Mitch and Xavier's friends. Happy Holidays to everyone!

Hi All,

My cousin Mitch and friend Xavi are 5 days late from their Mexico trip. They were surfing Seven Sisters and we believe were last in Santa Rosalillita. They are driving a brand new white toyota tacoma with a shell. We have heard reports that the truck has had issues and is to be repaired in Santa Rosalillita. Has anyone seen them recently or have any updates on there whereabouts?

Thanks,

Tom

1513732_10103093104430757_3976556850056659283_n.jpg - 89kB

[Edited on 12-20-2016 by tbriner]

[Edited on 12-23-2016 by tbriner]

MMc - 12-20-2016 at 01:44 PM

Think about posting on Facebook Talk Baja also.

shari - 12-20-2016 at 01:58 PM

i emailed StandingWave in Rosalillita to see if he has news of them..hope they are OK.

tbriner - 12-20-2016 at 02:18 PM

Thank you both for your help!

BajaBlanca - 12-21-2016 at 07:34 AM

We were at La Fonda 2 days ago on a very cold morning and saw surfers out there - so perhaps they are still surfing! Sure hope so.

shari - 12-21-2016 at 07:59 AM

StandingWave reported that they werent at San Andres...Campo Alejandros...maybe they camped in the village of Rosalillita...sorry
May they be found happy and healthy soon.

motoged - 12-21-2016 at 08:06 AM

Certainly a couple of stylin' dudes....hope they show up before too much worry sets in.

tbriner - 12-21-2016 at 09:21 AM

Thanks all for your help!

BooJumMan - 12-21-2016 at 11:14 AM

PM'ed (U2U) you.

ehall - 12-21-2016 at 12:11 PM

Hopefully they heard about the 2 storms coming and decided to stick around for some big waves.

woody with a view - 12-21-2016 at 01:20 PM

And mud! Question: How does a new Tacoma have problems or whatever was reported above? How did the OP hear about these problems?

chuckie - 12-21-2016 at 01:38 PM

Its a Toyota...But lets focus on the 2 guys. and not turn this into another whining session..

Tomas Tierra - 12-21-2016 at 03:15 PM

Hoping for the best here.. As was stated, the locals in that area will go to no end in helping out..

Hopefully they are not out there in the silt beds somewhere.... Judging by the latest satellite image, it's going to be very snotty out there for the next few days

TT

BooJumMan - 12-21-2016 at 03:27 PM

There are plenty of other people down there this time of year. I'm surprised they haven't found someone to just contact the family though.

I don't believe the surf was very good down there the past few weeks. Even with the storms, they are too North to wrap into the area. They are probably waiting for a new clutch (if that was indeed the problem). Still seems a bit odd they haven't been able to find someone to borrow a phone...

shari - 12-21-2016 at 07:07 PM

I have spoken to the father of one of the fellows and the guys got a message out with a surfer going back to California...turns out they burned out a clutch trying to get out of deep sand and were towed back to El Cardon which is possibly why they havent been able to get a message out. They are adults who arent the check in every day types but if they are out there, there is no cell signal or internet...and they are surely in a bind.

To get the truck fixed will be a big issue probably not fixable in Rosalillita... getting it towed out or getting a mechanic in there to take it apart and then to order parts etc...it will take time for sure and now with the rain storm the roads will be gnarly at best...and they are probably out of beer!

At the moment we are trying to get a message through to El Cardon but due to clouds the last few days the phones arent working either.
It will be one of those stories to tell your grandkids! Christmas broke down in Baja! Fingers crossed no harm comes to them

But if anybody is heading that way, please ask around about them.
Too bad they didnt have one of those Delorme thingies to get a satellite message out. Here is a photo of their truck.

[Edited on 12-22-2016 by shari]

woody with a view - 12-21-2016 at 07:34 PM

Maru can prolly be a conduit for info.

kevin_in_idaho - 12-21-2016 at 07:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
I have spoken to the father of one of the fellows and the guys got a message out with a surfer going back to California...turns out they burned out a clutch trying to get out of deep sand and were towed back to El Cardon which is possibly why they havent been able to get a message out. They are adults who arent the check in every day types but if they are out there, there is no cell signal or internet...and they are surely in a bind.

To get the truck fixed will be a big issue probably not fixable in Rosalillita... getting it towed out or getting a mechanic in there to take it apart and then to order parts etc...it will take time for sure and now with the rain storm the roads will be gnarly at best...and they are probably out of beer!

At the moment we are trying to get a message through to El Cardon but due to clouds the last few days the phones arent working either.
It will be one of those stories to tell your grandkids! Christmas broke down in Baja! Fingers crossed no harm comes to them

But if anybody is heading that way, please ask around about them.
Too bad they didnt have one of those Delorme thingies to get a satellite message out. Here is a photo of their truck.

[Edited on 12-22-2016 by shari]

Good news. This may be a reason to carry a "spot device.

BooJumMan - 12-21-2016 at 11:01 PM

Call me a nerd, but this is why I just bring a satellite phone to remote areas. Saves the entire internet being freaked out about some guys who are probably just eating tacos with the locals.

This happened last summer when 3 guys in a Tacoma got stuck in the mud in the same general area.

Ateo - 12-22-2016 at 06:27 AM

Thanks for helping out Shari.

David K - 12-22-2016 at 06:52 AM

From the photo, it is a 4x4... but manual tranny.... and if they didn't know to deflate the tires for sand, I can see the frustration of burning a clutch. They really must have worked it severely because that is a new 2016 or 2017 Tacoma (3rd Generation).

Marc - 12-22-2016 at 07:06 AM

Glad they are safe. My first thought was they were arrested by the Mexican fashion police.;);)

BooJumMan - 12-22-2016 at 08:16 AM

I don't think they've been heard from still...

Anyways, I'd have to imagine they are just sitting there at El Cardon waiting for parts. They probably think that since they sent out the message with the outgoing surfer that they covered their butts with the family.

It's been said on Talk Baja as well, but getting a new clutch down there might take a little while.

Burning up a clutch on a new truck seems really odd though.

Tomas Tierra - 12-22-2016 at 09:10 AM

Mellinials..... Gotta get unstuck, gotta get unstuck NOW!

Hoping for the best for these kids..

Unless your stuck in the tideline and the tide is rising, patience and some work are your best friends

Hook - 12-22-2016 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  

Yeah, I would think they would have dug themselves in so deep, rather quickly, that a new clutch would have been spared much abuse.

I really think it is worth carrying a couple sections of 5 foot long, 2x8 pieces of wood. They dont take up much room in the bed and you can use these (in conjunction with a shovel, you gotta carry a shovel!) to create a solid path back to solid ground. Get the vehicle going on the wood and gun it.

Of course, you have to get stuck close to solid ground.

I never let my vehicle get dug in very far. If I'm stopped, it's drop the tires to around 10psi and clear a path out with the shovel. I rarely do the rocking thing anymore. Rarely works and just makes the situation worse.

BigBearRider - 12-22-2016 at 09:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

I really think it is worth carrying a couple sections of 5 foot long, 2x8 pieces of wood. They dont take up much room in the bed and you can use these (in conjunction with a shovel, you gotta carry a shovel!) to create a solid path back to solid ground. Get the vehicle going on the wood and gun it.

Like surfboards!

willardguy - 12-22-2016 at 10:41 AM

Yeah, I would think they would have dug themselves in so deep, rather quickly, that a new clutch would have been spared much abuse.

Of course, you have to get stuck close to solid ground.

I never let my vehicle get dug in very far. If I'm stopped, it's drop the tires to around 10psi and clear a path out with the shovel. I rarely do the rocking thing anymore. Rarely works and just makes the situation worse.

MAXTRAX...:yes:

surferdad - 12-22-2016 at 11:43 AM

Thanks to everyone for posting replies to our request for info on my son Mitch, his friend Xavi and Wayne the dog. Latest is a group of 5 were headed to El Cardon on Tuesday, 12/20 with parts for the truck. No confirmation yet, but that is what we were told this AM by an area regular.

Nasty weather and a busted clutch. Nice combo. Keep the posts coming, folks. A special shout out to Shari for her fantastic help in trying to coordinate connecting with our boys. Shari is like the Guardian of the Baja!

Safe travels and please post if anyone knows anything more. Thank you all! Still concerned.

David K - 12-22-2016 at 12:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surferdad  
Thanks to everyone for posting replies to our request for info on my son Mitch, his friend Xavi and Wayne the dog. Latest is a group of 5 were headed to El Cardon on Tuesday, 12/20 with parts for the truck. No confirmation yet, but that is what we were told this AM by an area regular.

Nasty weather and a busted clutch. Nice combo. Keep the posts coming, folks. A special shout out to Shari for her fantastic help in trying to coordinate connecting with our boys. Shari is like the Guardian of the Baja!

Safe travels and please post if anyone knows anything more. Thank you all! Still concerned.

Thank you for joining Nomad and please give us any updates. While only a few post regularly, this site is seen by thousands and between Baja Nomad and Facebook's Talk Baja page, help is not far off. Yes, Shari is an angel... do see her fantastic hotel at Bahia Asuncion if you ever can.

surferdad - 12-22-2016 at 12:10 PM

Thanks, David K. We appreciate the support very much!

shari - 12-22-2016 at 12:12 PM

well that is great news that the parts are being delivered...now to find someone to install them! I still cant get through to Rosalillita....no answer there. Juan is prepared to take our excellent mechanic out there to put the parts in if necessary.

BooJumMan - 12-22-2016 at 12:50 PM

Glad they are OK .... Same thing happened last year. A group of kids getting stuck out in the desert without a backup plan in a single truck and the family freaked out. Reminder to all to try and be a little bit more prepared before heading out into remote areas. By prepared, it might be a good idea to learn how to drive offroad a bit before diving head first! Yikes.

[Edited on 12-22-2016 by BooJumMan]

rts551 - 12-22-2016 at 12:51 PM

They just don't make Toyotas like they used to. Putting a clutch in is going to take the right tools (like a clutch alignment tool) and know how.

Wish they had internet so they could give a shoutout for help if they needed it.
Or call for a tow truck to take it back to Guerrero Negro or Vizcaino.

woody with a view - 12-22-2016 at 01:14 PM

A solid rescue plan would include a tow dolly and dragging that POS to a mechanic.

[Edited on 12-22-2016 by woody with a view]

DawnPatrol - 12-22-2016 at 01:48 PM

well that is great news that the parts are being delivered...now to find someone to install them! I still cant get through to Rosalillita....no answer there. Juan is prepared to take our excellent mechanic out there to put the parts in if necessary.

NOW that's what I call a beautiful thing!
Alan "One of the Greyhounders"

shari - 12-22-2016 at 03:29 PM

thanks Alan....
to tow that truck to GN will cost a whack of pesos which is why Juan was thinkin to take an excellent mechanic there....way cheaper

surferdad - 12-22-2016 at 09:39 PM

Here is the latest on the boys. Sally is Xavi's Mom.

"Hi Seth, this is Sally I left you a phone message. A camper name Dan made a Skype call to us -said he just left the beach and was with Xavier and Mitch. He was now at a hotel that had some Internet so he could make the call. He said Xavier went to Bahia Los Angeles and found a mechanic and brought him back and he is working on the clutch- they're hoping to finish it tomorrow they both have plenty of supplies are with other people and are in good spirits and wanted us to know that!"

Great news! "Toyota Trauma" should be over soon. Thanks to all who took the time to care and post. Safe travels to you all and hope to see you down in the Baja! Happy Holidays!

Hook - 12-22-2016 at 11:27 PM

.[/rquote]

MAXTRAX...:yes:[/rquote]

And they're available in 14 colors!!! Not just wood, like my 2x8s!!!

Hey, wait a minute! Isn't A-TRAC gonna get a Toyota out of ANY situation? Does it not come with a manual tranny??

rts551 - 12-23-2016 at 06:31 AM

"Toyota Trauma" gotta love it. Hope they are back on the road soon.

David K - 12-23-2016 at 07:34 AM

.[/rquote]

MAXTRAX...:yes:[/rquote]

And they're available in 14 colors!!! Not just wood, like my 2x8s!!!

Hey, wait a minute! Isn't A-TRAC gonna get a Toyota out of ANY situation? Does it not come with a manual tranny??

A-TRAC is only available on the TRD OFF ROAD Tacoma, since 2009. Nothing replaces driving skill/ knowledge (or deflating the tires for deep sand).

shari - 12-23-2016 at 07:38 AM

What great news to wake up to that the boys are safe! Now Juan can go fishing today!

David K - 12-23-2016 at 07:48 AM

What great news to wake up to that the boys are safe! Now Juan can go fishing today!

So nice of Juan to be concerned enough to put his life on hold to help strangers!

You guys are the Baja angels we are so luck to know!

surferdad - 12-23-2016 at 09:33 AM

Ditto all of that! Guardians of the Baja!

Sure don't feel like strangers anymore. Not after the kindness Shari and Juan have shown my family and friends. I hope life brings that same brand of kindness to all of you out there! Thanks again, Shari and Juan! Peace!

surferdad - 12-23-2016 at 04:06 PM

Just heard from the boys. On their way up the Baja. All is well. Thanks to all!

David K - 12-23-2016 at 04:45 PM

It's a Festivus Miracle!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

shari - 12-23-2016 at 04:46 PM

Wooo hooo....hope they get home for Christmas and I look forward to hearing the whole story from them someday here on the patio! Just saw some Gray whales heading south....they'reeeeee back!

pappy - 12-24-2016 at 12:57 PM

Good to know they are ok. Hopefully they learned a couple things that will benefit them in the future...

pappy - 12-24-2016 at 01:00 PM

Good to know they are ok. Hopefully they learned a couple things that will benefit them in the future...