BajaNomad

Fridges... again.

SteveWil - 12-22-2016 at 07:39 PM

Never heard of them, Engel are good and I have never heard a bad thing about them.

Russ - 12-23-2016 at 06:12 AM

I googled it: http://www.equipt1.com/i/fridges/national-luna
Looks like they are all top loaders and not cheap.

Bob53 - 12-23-2016 at 03:40 PM

I just purchased an ARB 50 quart freezer. I really like it.

BooJumMan - 12-24-2016 at 12:51 PM

The ARB and Dometic are both great. Same with Engel. National Luna is even a step above but too expensive for me. I have been enjoying my 63qt Edgestar. If it fails I'd probably go ARB

Ken Cooke - 12-25-2016 at 08:32 PM

My Dometic 65dzus is still going strong!

Hard at work at my friend's house in Playas de Tijuana. I just brought 2 cooked Chickens back yesterday, and they were good!

I paid just under $800 for mine at Camping World.com

[Edited on 12-26-2016 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 12-25-2016 at 08:59 PM

Hi Ken, with the recent thread mentioning someone being fined at the US border for having eggs (illegal along with pork and raw chicken), did you get an earfull or need to tell the officer cooked is permitted (like my lime incident a few years ago)?

Ken Cooke - 12-27-2016 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Hi Ken, with the recent thread mentioning someone being fined at the US border for having eggs (illegal along with pork and raw chicken), did you get an earfull or need to tell the officer cooked is permitted (like my lime incident a few years ago)?

No problems at all, David. The eggs were cooked in CG's kitchen on Dec. 24th (along with a Chile Relleno, beans, and fresh corn tortillas!). The chickens were rotisserie cooked over a flame, and seasoned to perfection!

Transporting raw meats are not just a nuisance, but not permitted. The officials in Tecate have looked inside of my Dometic in the past, so I know its not worth trying to bring back fruit, or uncooked meats. But, the Dometic freezer would definitely keep my foods frozen, if needed.

Ken Cooke - 12-27-2016 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Thanks, Ken.
I'll check those out.

Mine is the 65 Dual Zone by Dometic (the US parent company of Waeco-Austrailia)

mauinate - 12-29-2016 at 12:40 PM

Whynter is available from the distributor open box for under $300. I like mine so far

mauinate - 12-29-2016 at 11:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Quote: Originally posted by mauinate  
Whynter is available from the distributor open box for under $300. I like mine so far

I looked at those pretty hard. Their energy use is much higher but it may not be a consideration.
Not gonna buy one until April-ish.

Hit me up and I'll let you know how mine is. Two golf cart batteries now and 300w solar, the freezer is set at 5f and the batteries don't even budge.