BajaNomad

where to retire with wife in baja to surf and ride

booniebasher - 12-26-2016 at 06:34 AM

Have hit the magic number, now what ? erendira, san vicente , los cabos ? one thing I am concerned about is my wife is very social ? rosarito, Ensenada seems to be good ?
any advice out there:?:

ehall - 12-26-2016 at 06:47 AM

I say try them all out before you decide. Rentals are cheap enough or even a travel trailer or motorhome.

weebray - 12-26-2016 at 07:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
I say try them all out before you decide. Rentals are cheap enough or even a travel trailer or motorhome.

Good advise. All those places are very different from each other. Where ever you are in Baja California you will not be far from the water and friendly people. Study the language for at least an hour a day until you are conversant then start hanging out in various places. This is exactly what we did and found La Paz to be the best balance of big city vs. rural Mexican ranch living. You will be different but you need to find that out for yourselves.
Let me add that you may want to consider alternatives to Mexico. We found Panama to be extremely amenable also. The ease of visiting the homeland swayed out decision but in retrospect we return to the US less and less every passing year.

[Edited on 12-26-2016 by weebray]

bkbend - 12-26-2016 at 10:21 AM

See above. If there was one best place then everybody would be in that place. But they aren't. My approach was to visit places I thought I might like, talk to folks who did retire to there, narrow it down and rent for a month in places at the top of the list. A place that looks great in a short visit will show its warts over a month.

willardguy - 12-26-2016 at 10:23 AM

rosarito great for socializing and surfing, no bueno for riding:(

mtgoat666 - 12-26-2016 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
rosarito great for socializing and surfing, no bueno for riding:(

Rosarito water quality is unhealthy.
I would not touch the water from tj to 10 mi south of rosarito!

AKgringo - 12-26-2016 at 10:54 AM

Whatever place you find appealing, be sure to spend some time there in mid winter, and mid to late summer to see if it is still appealing!

Personally, I am not a fan of heat and humidity, so all of my visits have been from October through April.

The old adage, 'Happy wife, happy life' does seem to make sense in selecting a spot! But what do I know, my wife wasn't happy.

David K - 12-26-2016 at 12:02 PM

Bahia Asuncion! Surfing and off road riding (I guess you mean).
More "real Baja" than Los Cabos and Rosarito unless you need all that nightclub drama and boom-boom music with teenagers and college kids.

SONG&DANCE - 12-26-2016 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Bahia Asuncion! Surfing and off road riding (I guess you mean).
More "real Baja" than Los Cabos and Rosarito unless you need all that nightclub drama and boom-boom music with teenagers and college kids.

Uh huh, Que up "ground control" for some U2U's about great property deals! :no::no::no:

[Edited on 12-26-2016 by SONG&;DANCE]

bajabuddha - 12-26-2016 at 01:23 PM

You might want to consider spending a month or so in Loreto. It's a bigger 'small-town' with plenty to do, a fairly large American and Canadian population, not to mention an international airport if you want to settle in and fly in and out. The mountain views and back country can't be beat, and fishing can be good.

wessongroup - 12-26-2016 at 01:27 PM

Agree with this approach ... .check out as many "locations" as ya like for as long as ya want .... Things will always be for sale and for rent ... no rush ... Take your time :):)

DaliDali - 12-26-2016 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
You might want to consider spending a month or so in Loreto. It's a bigger 'small-town' with plenty to do, a fairly large American and Canadian population, not to mention an international airport if you want to settle in and fly in and out. The mountain views and back country can't be beat, and fishing can be good.

Minus any surf.....unless it's the full blown hurricane wind driven type.

El Jefe - 12-26-2016 at 04:35 PM

Go to where the warm water is. You will be glad you did, although it will spoil you and you won't want to surf in cold any more. But who needs that anyway?

A couple of months out of the year it will be hot and muggy, the price you pay for living near the warm water. That's when you go on vacation to see the grand kids or whomever.

And be aware, they will not come down to visit you as much as you think or hope they will. They have jobs, soccer, school, other places to go, etc.

Happy hunting.

yellowklr - 12-26-2016 at 05:05 PM

Rosarito is a pit.....Ensenada is nice but for me Id do Baja south... Maybe look at Cabo or Todos Santos.

What Does Your Wife Want?

GypsyJan - 12-26-2016 at 05:41 PM

You are only presenting a selfish scenario.

BajaBlanca - 12-26-2016 at 07:33 PM

she wants social, but does she surf too?

We have been living in Baja Sur for ten years now and I couldn't be happier....it really is a good idea to rent in as many places as it takes to find the perfect spot.

Bahia Asuncion has a surf club. Punta Abreojos has surf. Cold waters. Climate very similar to San Diego minus the rain. Even though they are small towns, there is a gringo community that loves social events...and of course the Mexicanos party all year long - birthdays and weddings and fishing tournaments and baptisms. A small town can keep you really busy.

Happy hunting!

booniebasher - 12-26-2016 at 08:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  

Good advise. All those places are very different from each other. Where ever you are in Baja California you will not be far from the water and friendly people. Study the language for at least an hour a day until you are conversant then start hanging out in various places. This is exactly what we did and found La Paz to be the best balance of big city vs. rural Mexican ranch living. You will be different but you need to find that out for yourselves.
Let me add that you may want to consider alternatives to Mexico. We found Panama to be extremely amenable also. The ease of visiting the homeland swayed out decision but in retrospect we return to the US less and less every passing year.

[Edited on 12-26-2016 by weebray]

Panama, Funny, we have land there. I was very concerned I would be flying back to the states for birthday partys, etc..etc and I would go broke....I could stay there but my social wife.....Very scary

[Edited on 12-28-2016 by BajaNomad]

booniebasher - 12-26-2016 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
she wants social, but does she surf too?

We have been living in Baja Sur for ten years now and I couldn't be happier....it really is a good idea to rent in as many places as it takes to find the perfect spot.

Bahia Asuncion has a surf club. Punta Abreojos has surf. Cold waters. Climate very similar to San Diego minus the rain. Even though they are small towns, there is a gringo community that loves social events...and of course the Mexicanos party all year long - birthdays and weddings and fishing tournaments and baptisms. A small town can keep you really busy.

Happy hunting!

My wife also LOVES soaking rays, I'm thinkin Todos santos May be the ticket.... I like the idea of cooler weather for dirtbikeing in northern Baja but...surfing would take a front seat to rideing and she would be real happy with the heat...me , the warm water would be a big bonus

you are so right

booniebasher - 12-26-2016 at 08:30 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
Go to where the warm water is. You will be glad you did, although it will spoil you and you won't want to surf in cold any more. But who needs that anyway?

this is so true, I know a guy that ived up in santa cruz, once he surfed nica,,,he moved there and would never surf cold water again

A couple of months out of the year it will be hot and muggy, the price you pay for living near the warm water. That's when you go on vacation to see the grand kids or whomever.

And be aware, they will not come down to visit you as much as you think or hope they will. They have jobs, soccer, school, other places to go, etc.

Happy hunting.

youre so right on the warm water idea !!!

Beagle - 12-26-2016 at 10:18 PM

You can ride a dirt bike just about anywhere in Baja I would expect. So that's the easy part. Surf and "social" it sounds like are what to narrow down.

As for BCS...
Todos has grown so much that it could be considered Social enough for one Gringa but it could also be considered backward and isolated to the next. Just depends on your definition of "social".

People are throwing out the Cabo area which sounds like it might be a decent compromise. Plenty of folks to socialize with. Then in the summer you can catch the southern swells on the east side just north of San Jose Del Cabo... and the rest of the year, the tip and up to Todos or however far you want to drive…

My loves are surfing and dirt bikes too so somewhat in the same boat. No need for social so we settled it on a relatively quiet area.

Spend some time in the areas with her and feel it out.

My 2 centavos.

Good luck!

joerover - 12-26-2016 at 11:11 PM

Spend the next 24 months in 24 places. Report back and let us know what you decided. Learn how to pronoune Matagalpa Nicaragua. Many people like Colombia. Have you been to Chajul Guatemala? Oaxaca has good weather. Folks are wearing coats and hats in Ensenada right now. La Paz sounds good in the winter. Yea, La Paz in winter, Medellin in summer? Lets send a scout to Peru. Could be a dirt bikers dream.

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Me? Kids raised, no kids? I would rent in one place and then the next and then the next and then the next..... it's a big world and I would start in the north part of Mexico and keep going until I run out of coast.

On edit, from there well, head east or west or north.

[Edited on 12-27-2016 by soulpatch]

North sounds a little to cold.

booniebasher - 12-27-2016 at 06:02 AM

great guys, thanks for your help, Now what equipment to take, I have a lot of stuff and definitely need to downsize. My wife is up for adventure , so she says...how should I roll , should I move in stages etc ?
I have a 30 foot class a
a sprinter moto hauler with apartment up front
f350 4x4 diesel
etc
?????
rv first with suv ?
**** mayby just the sprinter and ride a dualsport back when we ike an area and bring the next toy etc ????:?::?::?::?:

BFS - 12-27-2016 at 06:31 AM

I live in TS and trunked it yesterday at sunset if that is of any help...

fishbuck - 12-27-2016 at 12:33 PM

I've been checking Craigslist and looks like progress has caught up with Baja rentwise as far as Rosarito.
I toyed with the idea of living there for a while but it was a fleeting thought. Just too gross.
Find the most remote location you can tolerate... and then go all in.
That's what I'm going to do.
Day 1 after I walk out of work for the last time I am heading south and not looking back.

SONG&DANCE - 12-27-2016 at 12:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

Day 1 after I walk out of work for the last time I am heading south and not looking back.

How can you offer this advice if you haven't experienced living "remote" yet?

fishbuck - 12-27-2016 at 12:55 PM

That's a big trailer. But if you could find a spot for that I think you would do ok.
I have an F-350 too and I going to pull a trailer down and park it for a while and settle in and see what happens.
I thinking the inspiration will come and I'll find all my spots as they come to me.

tiotomasbcs - 12-27-2016 at 01:34 PM

Where have you visited in Baja? Speak Spanish? Each region has different weather and attractions. Come for a lookaround with a light pack.

mtgoat666 - 12-27-2016 at 01:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SONG%26DANCE  

You are correct. San Quintin is not remote. And he has close neighbors, like <100 feet away.

but Baja nomad retirees are prone to grandiose pontificating on subjects they know nothing of. If they lack knowledge, they can google it and be know-it-alls!

mtgoat666 - 12-27-2016 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by booniebasher  
great guys, thanks for your help, Now what equipment to take, I have a lot of stuff and definitely need to downsize. My wife is up for adventure , so she says...how should I roll , should I move in stages etc ?
I have a 30 foot class a
a sprinter moto hauler with apartment up front
f350 4x4 diesel
etc
?????
rv first with suv ?
**** mayby just the sprinter and ride a dualsport back when we ike an area and bring the next toy etc ????:?::?::?::?:

If you bring all that stuff, the first time you leave it alone the local thieves will swoop down and take it all :lol:

booniebasher - 12-27-2016 at 03:31 PM

im thinkin about just the sprinter van and a couple of motos, and surfboards.....live in the van jus tlong enough to find a good deal on a rental. Mayby keep going south , 6 months at a time. Friend said todos santos and sayuita would be good choices to retire or stay long term ?

fishbuck - 12-27-2016 at 03:55 PM

If it's of the grid it's remote enough. Nearest store is about 8 miles.
It feels pretty remote.
But if it's too remote you can't leave anything. Neighbors watch your stuff.
But like I said as remote as you can tolerate.
I like pretending it's remote. I can still drive into town for a taco if I want.
I can drive out to Punta Meso and feel like I am all alone.

fishbuck - 12-27-2016 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by SONG%26DANCE  

You are correct. San Quintin is not remote. And he has close neighbors, like <100 feet away.

but Baja nomad retirees are prone to grandiose pontificating on subjects they know nothing of. If they lack knowledge, they can google it and be know-it-alls!

It's not that complicated. That's the point of the whole thing isn't it?

[Edited on 12-28-2016 by fishbuck]

woody with a view - 12-28-2016 at 08:07 AM

All that really matters is that you are in your happy place. If you add a goat to graze on the seaweed and tin cans all the better!

bajatrailrider - 12-28-2016 at 08:48 AM

Hola Boonie You where here riding with me for a week. Just come back on Vacation and I will show you surfing places.

BajaNomad - 12-28-2016 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

There's a whole generation of millennials that have become a culture of DIY experts because of the internet, Google and Youtube.

Their BS filters work differently (better?) than the previous generations as well. They've had so much more to filter through at early ages.

Thus, I'm uncertain if either of your comments should really be made into much of an issue.

Just my $.02.

:)

...btw - for the O/P - based upon ALL of your criteria, I suspect you'll appreciate the Todos Santos area most... unless you want/need/choose and/or then decide to be closer to the USA border, in which case, I suspect you'll then appreciate the Ensenada area the most. Another $.02. :biggrin:

booniebasher - 12-29-2016 at 10:27 AM

how about this idea, I drive a full size motorhome with enclosed trailer and store in todos area ? ( is there such a place )
then I start takeing vacations there, by flying in !!!
And I move rv if we want to , in otherwards rv is a way of moveing aroundf looking for longer term residence ????

woody with a view - 12-29-2016 at 02:47 PM

Sounds like one way to do it!:)

BajaUtah - 12-29-2016 at 03:58 PM

how about this idea, I drive a full size motorhome with enclosed trailer and store in todos area ? ( is there such a place )
And I move rv if we want to , in otherwards rv is a way of moveing aroundf looking for longer term residence ????

So BCS is a good idea - we have a house on the East Cape and love it - but flying into and out of the area is limited. You have Cabo's airport and La Paz. So depending on where you are coming from Cabo is easy for tourist flights and La Paz is easy for domestic flights. If you park at Todos Santos you then have to spend time and money getting to an airport.

Maybe park in La Paz - Maranatha RV park can either store or hook you up with storage and they are pretty close to the airport. Easy from there to all BCS locations. Flights from TJ to La Paz on Volaris are a bargain.

There are vehicle storage places around the Cabo airport but for a big rig I'd imagine it's pretty expensive.

You have other issues with one being you are not supposed to leave anything in country when you leave on a tourist FMM but that opens more cans o' worms that can be dealt with later.

tiotomasbcs - 12-29-2016 at 06:48 PM

I would never live in Todos Santos. Locals not friendly. Get off internet and come explore. You have not answered my question... ever been in Baja, Speak Spanish, et al??

booniebasher - 12-29-2016 at 07:51 PM

Yes I have friends that live in baja Malibu, san vicente , speak Spanglish with a translator
Have pre ran the 1000
co drove the 250
surfed all the pacific in the 80,s
that's about it

great repy

booniebasher - 12-29-2016 at 07:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaUtah  

So BCS is a good idea - we have a house on the East Cape and love it - but flying into and out of the area is limited. You have Cabo's airport and La Paz. So depending on where you are coming from Cabo is easy for tourist flights and La Paz is easy for domestic flights. If you park at Todos Santos you then have to spend time and money getting to an airport.

Maybe park in La Paz - Maranatha RV park can either store or hook you up with storage and they are pretty close to the airport. Easy from there to all BCS locations. Flights from TJ to La Paz on Volaris are a bargain.

GREAT IDEA !!!!!! VERY APRECIATED...KEEP IT COMEING

There are vehicle storage places around the Cabo airport but for a big rig I'd imagine it's pretty expensive.

You have other issues with one being you are not supposed to leave anything in country when you leave on a tourist FMM but that opens more cans o' worms that can be dealt with later.

El Jefe - 12-29-2016 at 08:42 PM

I think the storage of a motor home down here is a great idea. Best plan would be to keep it near the Los Cabos airport or near the La Paz airport so you can fly in and get it. Head off to the supermarket, stock up and go find your favorite beach. We did that for several years until we built our house.

Depending on the swell you can go to the west side or SE. There are still lots of places where you can park your rig near the surf. You may like that lifestyle so much you don't need to build, especially if you want to stay in the northland much. And it will cost way less than buying a house.

On the other hand, if you want to put down roots, nothing wrong with that. We ended up close enough to San Jose del to go into town when needed for supplies, but far enough out to see a million stars in the sky. Lots of advantages to that. Also, we got involved in a local charity group for several years and met many wonderful people who remain friends. Great if your sweetheart is social like you said.

After living down there for 11 years full time, we are now doing a 50/50 thing with our stateside house. When north we miss the people down south and when south miss the family and friends north. All good.