BajaNomad

Dog Friendly Hotels ? - Retirement is Here

elskel - 12-29-2016 at 10:30 PM

Hey All: Now officially retired, heading south next month. We are heading south with the dog. I am looking to put together a little list of dog friendly hotels. It's probably been 8 or 9 years since we travelled with a dog.
Thanks, Brian

Whale-ista - 12-29-2016 at 11:33 PM

From north to south: here are places I've stayed with a small dog in recent years. Can't promise they have maintained the same policy, and larger dogs may be treated differently.

San Quintin: Eddie's RV resort/hotel allows pets, is located right on inlet; older and very basic accommodations.

Los Jardines Hotel in San Quintin is newer, has beautiful orchard/garden, and allows pets in a few rooms. Close to a very good restaurant.

Same with Mision Cataviņa hotel- allows pets in certain rooms. I reviewed it during a trip last January. (Edit: They add a surcharge for pets.) (http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81580#pid1016...)

Hotel Terasal in Guerrero Negro allows pets. It's new, very clean, easy access on eastern edge of town and a restaurant on site.

Hotel La Huerta in San Ignacio allows pets, is new and clean, and has wonderful water from the oasis.

Cocos Cabaņas in Loreto allows dogs. They also have nice swimming pools, and cater to visitors interested in sports fishing.

I'm sure others will have additional suggestions- have fun!

[Edited on 12-30-2016 by Whale-ista]

tiotomasbcs - 12-30-2016 at 05:13 AM

Congrats, Amigo. You have earned some fun in the sun. Looking forward to more time and some regular visits. My Lab and I usually have little trouble finding hotel room for him. Good idea to bring his bedding so he won't dirty up beds. Jardines and Baja Cactus have special roomss...look up telephone numbers for reservations. In Mulege La Hacienda and Cuesta Real (a bit funky) are favorites with Cuesta having easy access for walking the dog and no vehicle traffic. Then it's Pescadero or Bust. Buen Viajes. Tomas

bajalinda - 12-30-2016 at 07:49 AM

Casa Buena in La Paz is dog friendly.

www.casabuena.net

shari - 12-30-2016 at 07:57 AM

Congratulations on the start of a new life and travels!

We have the Sunset Casita & Beach House here for doggies in Bahia Asuncion too.

Just an FYI...Terra Sal charges a 100 peso surcharge for dogs and only allowed in double rooms.

Cancamo - 12-30-2016 at 09:56 AM

Never been turned down traveling in BCN or BCS with a dog, not even charged extra. I'm talking about your average places, nothing touristy, (if they advertise in English).

re:dog bedding

Whale-ista - 12-30-2016 at 10:21 AM

Good point re:bedding. I always bring a pet bed, and also a large fleece sleeping sack that's big enough to protect the bed.

The bed is more for day use- my pup is accustomed to sleeping with me, and even tho she's a poodle w/minimal shedding, I want to respect the hotel's property.

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
Congrats, Amigo. You have earned some fun in the sun. Looking forward to more time and some regular visits. My Lab and I usually have little trouble finding hotel room for him. Good idea to bring his bedding so he won't dirty up beds. Jardines and Baja Cactus have special roomss...look up telephone numbers for reservations. In Mulege La Hacienda and Cuesta Real (a bit funky) are favorites with Cuesta having easy access for walking the dog and no vehicle traffic. Then it's Pescadero or Bust. Buen Viajes. Tomas

Whale-ista - 12-30-2016 at 10:31 AM

thanks for the reminder! I couldn't recall the name.

I stayed with them in 2014- good location, secure courtyard parking for large vehicles, warm pool, nice family hosts.

They have their own pets (dogs, cats) and welcome others.

Enjoy your retirement!

Quote: Originally posted by bajalinda  
Casa Buena in La Paz is dog friendly.

www.casabuena.net

Fernweh - 12-30-2016 at 03:52 PM

If I leave my car or truck door open by mistake, my dogs will jump in, and spend the night sleeping in there......

When I drive to the US, the dogs sleep the entire time on the back seats.

What's wrong, with letting the dogs stay in the car, if choosen a none pet friendly Hotel?

[Edited on 12-30-2016 by Fernweh]

Whale-ista - 12-30-2016 at 05:36 PM

Personally: I'd be worried about leaving my dog out of ear-shot in case of break-in, theft, or something worse happening to the car. Also, temps can get pretty hot/cold in some areas at night, and inside a car is not always comfortable (at least for my older dog).

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  
If I leave my car or truck door open by mistake, my dogs will jump in, and spend the night sleeping in there......

When I drive to the US, the dogs sleep the entire time on the back seats.

What's wrong, with letting the dogs stay in the car, if choosen a none pet friendly Hotel?

[Edited on 12-30-2016 by Fernweh]

Marc - 12-30-2016 at 05:49 PM

It's getting harder and harder to find a no pets motel.

elskel - 12-30-2016 at 07:11 PM

Thanks for the replies, in the past there have been times the dog slept in the truck. Shari, I might head your way in the spring, I know my wife would like Asuncion. You might remember about 8-9 years ago I came through with my son Jake. Fished with Jaun a couple of days, Jake hooked 30+# yellowtail.
brian

bajamary1952 - 12-30-2016 at 07:50 PM

I've always traveled with my small dogs and never had a problem finding a motel/hotel.
My favorite is Hotel Mision Santa Maria San Quintin. I think it is the only hotel directly on the beach & the beach is very quiet so you have no problem with your dog running around; I was NOT impressed with El Jardins as it is in the middle of nowhere.

toronja - 12-31-2016 at 12:51 AM

Last I checked, both the Cowboy Hotel and Don Vicente in Guerrero Negro were also pet friendly, both charged a 100p pet fee.

Fernweh, our dogs have certainly spent nights in the car when camping or when there wasn't a good pet-friendly motel, but on Baja trips they've already been in there for a 10-12-hr drive, don't have room to really stretch out because of luggage, and cold nights are hard on our old girl with arthritis. So, we try and find a place where they can come inside and have a break.

dogsincar.jpg - 250kB

Jack Swords - 12-31-2016 at 07:04 AM

El Morro in Santa Rosalia is dog friendly. Restaurant is now open and is quite good.

fishbuck - 1-1-2017 at 01:19 PM

Congratulations on your retirement!

windgrrl - 1-1-2017 at 06:00 PM

Hotel Kadekaman in Vizcaino
http://www.kadekaman.com

Most hotels we have stayed at, all the way down the peninsula, accept dogs and have assigned rooms. Consider reserving ahead during peak travel times. Some places change an extra free and some pet stays are free. Good advice to travel with bedding and good manners so that pets continue to be accepted as guests.

Congratulations and happy trails!

elskel - 1-1-2017 at 07:54 PM

Thanks for them replies, the work box has been checked and we finally have enough credits to graduate. Oh ya!

toronja - 1-2-2017 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by windgrrl  

Most hotels we have stayed at, all the way down the peninsula, accept dogs and have assigned rooms. Consider reserving ahead during peak travel times. Some places change an extra free and some pet stays are free. Good advice to travel with bedding and good manners so that pets continue to be accepted as guests.

Hey, windgrrl, we love the Kadekaman but their website says explicitly no dogs, so I haven't been recommending it. Have you stayed there often with dogs?

windgrrl - 1-2-2017 at 08:13 PM

Hi - yes we have stayed there with a dog twice in the past 3 years. The first time the reception staff were indeed explicit about no dogs and pointed to the charge for an extra person,which we were happy to pay. The second time, we declared our dog and no problem. We stayed in the same quaint, rustic, tiny (and I mean tiny) room close to the campground (yes, there is parking for RVs) both times.

Quote: Originally posted by toronja  
Quote: Originally posted by windgrrl  

Hey, windgrrl, we love the Kadekaman but their website says explicitly no dogs, so I haven't been recommending it. Have you stayed there often with dogs?

elskel - 1-4-2017 at 06:30 AM

Thanks, For all the replies. Bk

kiterkip - 1-8-2017 at 08:17 AM

The Blue Sky Motel in San Felipe.
and
The Hotel Morro in Santa Rosalia
Both are dog friendly. The Morro charged a 100p more for the small pooch.

billklaser - 1-8-2017 at 09:19 AM

Hotel Villa San Quintin, very nice good restaurant a few dog friendly rooms. large parking area. Ricardo told me in Mexico for dogs in rooms, supposed to have hard floors and special protection for bed mattresses.

San Ignacio "Rice & Beans" dogs ok. large parking, clean, good food, great Margaritas

bajamary1952 - 1-8-2017 at 05:33 PM

I'm staying with my small dog tonight at Mt Sinahi Motel in El Rosario. The room might be a little small for large dogs but adequate for my toy dog. The price with pet deposit for 1 person is 300 pesos. They have a decent restaurant on premises too.

BajaMama - 1-9-2017 at 09:46 AM

I have stayed at Baja Cactus/El Rosario, TerraSal/Guerro Negro, Hotel Paraiso/Colonet with my dog. They charge a little extra for the dog. I always bring a really big sheet/blanket to put over the bed. I can't speak for any other places.

UnoMas - 1-9-2017 at 02:03 PM

Hotel Angra in Loreto is pet friendly, big clean rooms, secure parking and free wi fi.

bajamary1952 - 1-9-2017 at 07:06 PM

Mt. Sinahi in El Rosario accepts pets. So does El Morro in Guerrero Negro. This places might be for those who demand more than I do but for me they are both in safe areas and cheaper than most mentioned here. Great for those of us who are on Social Security and/or budget.