BajaNomad

Tijuana Toyota

Lanesplitter - 12-31-2016 at 04:38 PM

I get to Bahamar about 4 times a year. Considering taking the Land Cruiser in for a timing belt replacement and then scheduled services. I figure they're using genuine parts and with the Tacoma factory nearby there must be numerous excellent mechanics in the are for them to hire from.

Anybody had any great/bad experiences with them they can share?

Thanks in advance for any info & Happy New Year.

willardguy - 12-31-2016 at 04:54 PM

haven't used their service dept but the parts dept is top notch, its a nice dealership :P

Lanesplitter - 12-31-2016 at 05:04 PM

Thanks for the quick response Willard guy 😀
I'll be sure to do a write up after my visit. Anyone else, good or not?
Looks like brakes and oil are about 1/2 here in CA.

Not looking for a cheap mechanic but if I can get comparable to US service dept quality for less, then why not?

TedZark - 1-1-2017 at 04:08 PM

If they think you do not live in Baja, sometimes you will find them resistant to provide service for USA folks. I had that issue with some body work (a dented bumper), though I do live here and have South Dakota plates.

However, while they wouldn't do the work, they did send me (at my request) to the guy they send their body work to. I got a great deal. US$200 for work Mossy in San Diego estimated at $1200-1900 and work well done.

I'd give it a try. I suspect the work is first rate. You will probably need language skills, it was an issue when I was there. But it probably has more to do with who is working on that day and how resourceful they are.

carlosg - 1-1-2017 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lanesplitter  
I get to Bahamar about 4 times a year. Considering taking the Land Cruiser in for a timing belt replacement and then scheduled services. I figure they're using genuine parts and with the Tacoma factory nearby there must be numerous excellent mechanics in the are for them to hire from.

Anybody had any great/bad experiences with them they can share?

Thanks in advance for any info & Happy New Year.

Where's this shop you're talking about?

Lanesplitter - 1-1-2017 at 09:36 PM

TedZark, that's great info and was definitely something I had concern about. Thanks for the info so I can prep for the visit.

Carlosg, there's a Toyota dealership in TJ at:
Fast Track Poniente Zona Rio 15155
Tijuana Baja California CP 2201

It looks like their oil changes and brakes are about 1/2 the cost of stateside.
Maybe they're on a different model and charge different rates for "ASE" work and the work they can just have an intern do.

That's always peeed me off here, stealership's clipping you for an oil change or break job at the hourly rate for a master mechanic when you know damn well it's the newest guy in the shop who's maybe studying for the test and putting in his hours that's actually doing it.

bajalearner - 1-1-2017 at 10:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  

...However, while they wouldn't do the work, they did send me (at my request) to the guy they send their body work to. I got a great deal. US$200 for work Mossy in San Diego estimated at $1200-1900 and work well done...

Can you tell me where this shop is?

TedZark - 1-2-2017 at 07:30 AM

Here are the details on the body shop I mentioned above:

This - at the time - don't know if it has changed - was the body shop that the Toyota dealer was using.

California HITEC Body and Paint. Raul Martinez - Jefe de taller (manager of the shop).
Rio Colorado No. 9551. Colonia Marron TJ.
664-681-7822
664-622-5034
664-681-7740

English not so good on the phone. Passable in the office -enough to get the job done if you have a few basics like Cuanto? Cuando? Hey, what else do you need? Then GRACIAS! for saving you a fortune.

Location is just a few blocks off of Avenida de los Heroes, about mid-town.

Lots of Toyotas out in front on the street. They did my bumper in one day (24 hours). Your experience may be different than mine.

I found them friendly and helpful and they did an excellent job.

TedZark - 1-2-2017 at 07:34 AM

Actually if I recall they were able to tell me on the phone in rough English approximately how to find them with a landmark being one of the big banks on de los Heroes.

Donde esta tu taller? Others can correct my bad Espanol.

They were patient at trying to communicate. That's all you can ask really.

I was super grateful for their good work as I was not loaded with cash at the time, but had an almost brand new car with a bash in the rear bumper.

[Edited on 1-2-2017 by TedZark]

Pescador - 1-2-2017 at 12:53 PM

I have used the Toyota and the Dodge dealership with success and have been very happy with the work. I had a warning light come on with my 2014 Dodge truck and the guys in National City wanted about two weeks to get it in. These guys did it that afternoon and even checked the recall stuff.

TedZark - 1-2-2017 at 05:48 PM

There are loads of really good mechanics here who work for a pittance. I always tip.

My motorbike mechanic is super.