BajaNomad

Bus from El Rosario to San Diego

Nashville Frank - 1-1-2017 at 10:32 PM

Hey All!
In February, I'll be in Ensenada, San Quintin, and El Rosario (looking forward to seeing Antonio again and eating at Mama's) with a group from Nashville, TN. However, they'll return earlier than me. So, I'd like to find out about taking a bus back to San Diego from El Rosario.

I've heard rumors of taking a bus from El Rosario to San Quintin, then San Quintin to Ensenada, then taking an ABC bus to the border. Is this true? Should I spend the night in Ensenada and catch an early border bus? How then do I go from the border to San Diego?

In 2016, I travelled to BC three times and have always been with a group that had pre-arranged travel. This will be my first time soloing. I'm fluent in Spanish and have lived and travelled much South of the border, so I'm not worried about this. Just need to know how to get back to catch my airplane.

I'd appreciate any help with figuring this out.
Thanks,
Frank

woody with a view - 1-2-2017 at 05:36 AM

Take the trolley at San Ysidro to downtown SD. Then taxi to airport. The bus is simple to the border.

mtgoat666 - 1-2-2017 at 07:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Nashville Frank  
Hey All!
In February, I'll be in Ensenada, San Quintin, and El Rosario (looking forward to seeing Antonio again and eating at Mama's) with a group from Nashville, TN. However, they'll return earlier than me. So, I'd like to find out about taking a bus back to San Diego from El Rosario.

I've heard rumors of taking a bus from El Rosario to San Quintin, then San Quintin to Ensenada, then taking an ABC bus to the border. Is this true? Should I spend the night in Ensenada and catch an early border bus? How then do I go from the border to San Diego?

In 2016, I travelled to BC three times and have always been with a group that had pre-arranged travel. This will be my first time soloing. I'm fluent in Spanish and have lived and travelled much South of the border, so I'm not worried about this. Just need to know how to get back to catch my airplane.

I'd appreciate any help with figuring this out.
Thanks,
Frank

Yes, You can take the bus from el rosario to tijuana. Take a taxi from tj bus stn to border. After across border, trolley takes you to downtown san diego. Ask in el rosario, to find the local bus stop and to buy a ticket.

Nashville Frank - 1-2-2017 at 09:06 AM

Gracias woody and mtgoat! Looks like its a go for me. I'll have my El Rosario connection check into the bus stop location for me.

[Edited on 1-2-2017 by Nashville Frank]

wilderone - 1-2-2017 at 09:48 AM

It is likely there is no ticket office to purchase a ticket before you board, however, you can pay the driver. It is possible you will change buses in Ensenada depending on the route of the bus you boarded and if he wants you to purchase a ticket. Regardless, buses from Ensenada to TJ depart about every 1/2 hr. - start early and go with the flow. There is a very cheap local bus at the TJ central bus station that goes to "downtown" TJ. And there is a new pedestrian crossing into US that you might want to consider. Or you could take a Greyhound from TJ to San Diego (about $7 US in pesos cash) - there is a schedule you might have to wait for next bus, but at least you can sit with AC during the ordeal and it takes you across the street from the trolley line in downtown SD. It's good to know your options. It might be a good idea to get into San Diego the day before your flight - there are hostels in the downtown area (ck USA hostels on 5th Ave). Take the bus in the AM to the airport (#992 pickup on Broadway). Exact change for bus/trolley - $2.50.

satmike - 1-2-2017 at 09:48 AM

My wife does it almost every year. She gets on in El Rosario, switches bus's in Ensenada to the bus that goes to La linea. It takes her right to the walk across line. Real simple.
There is a ticket office in El Rosario

[Edited on 1-2-2017 by satmike]

Whale-ista - 1-2-2017 at 10:37 AM

Agree with satmike- be sure to request the bus that goes to la linea- not the main station that is out east, quite a distance from the border crossing.

"La Linea" route will drop you right at the line to walk across into San Ysidro.

Walk over, hop on the trolley, and get off downtown at the end of the line at Santa Fe Depot. From there take the bus or hire a cab or Uber to the airport. That will likely be the most costly/challenging step.

Here's the transit website: https://www.sdmts.com/schedules-real-time-maps-and-routes/tr...

Buen viaje!

[Edited on 1-2-2017 by Whale-ista]

Nashville Frank - 1-2-2017 at 01:36 PM

Wilder one, Satmike and Whale-ista thanks so much, this really helps too.

I can now launch forward into the "known" instead of the "unknown".

I'll have my friend in El Rosario get me on the earliest bus out of there on Monday, pay the bus driver, make my way (bus hopping) to La Linea, walk across (quickly with my Global Entry/Sentri), hop on the trolley, land in San Diego at the Santa Fe depot, flop at a hostel (sans bedbugs), rise before dawn, jump on the #992 bus, arriving in time to thread my way through the airport "gates of misery" (aided by my trusty TSA Pre✓® status and smiling face), and make my 9:25 am Southwest flight on Tuesday (with time and pesos to spare)!

Thanks so much to all of you! Muchisimas gracias a todos!

[Edited on 1-3-2017 by Nashville Frank]

shari - 1-2-2017 at 04:15 PM

My choice is to take the bus from El Rosario to TJ then relax in the fancy Greyhound lounge in the TJ bus depot while it is a short wait as the bus leaves every half hour I think and it takes you across the border and right to the SAn Diego bus terminal if you want or just San Ysidro to grab the Trolley.

Nashville Frank - 1-2-2017 at 04:29 PM

Thanks shari.
Its good to know that the Baja nomads don't all experience things on 2 or 4 wheels (or more). But have "freewheeled" it too.