BajaNomad

Gasoline protests

Pages:  1  

bajaguy - 1-2-2017 at 10:43 PM

Protestors blocking highway 1 in Camalu due to increase in fuel prices....from ensenada.net

http://www.ensenada.net/noticias/nota.php?id=47596

woody with a view - 1-3-2017 at 08:12 AM

Heard thru the Tortilla Telegraph that BdeLA has zero diesel.

TecateRay - 1-3-2017 at 09:18 AM

I see the word "gasolinazo" in the Spanish language articles. Is there an English language equivalent?

bajaguy - 1-3-2017 at 09:26 AM

Enter the URL here

https://translate.google.com/

Quote: Originally posted by TecateRay  
I see the word "gasolinazo" in the Spanish language articles. Is there an English language equivalent?

Bajaboy - 1-3-2017 at 10:17 AM

There were long lines on the 31st as we pushed north. Glad we decided to come home early.

DENNIS - 1-3-2017 at 10:38 AM

The "gasolinazo" [term coined by I don't know who....government, or public] was a predetermined time span for scheduled gas and fuel price increases on the first of each month. The program ran it's course and was discontinued a few months back. If they reinstate the program, I would assume it would have a new label.

[Edited on 1-3-2017 by DENNIS]

DENNIS - 1-3-2017 at 01:10 PM

https://mexicoinstitute.wordpress.com/2017/01/03/mexicans-ar...

chippy - 1-3-2017 at 03:53 PM

http://spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/898/whats-the-mea...

This might help. Geez Dennis how long you been here?

[Edited on 1-3-2017 by chippy]

chuckie - 1-3-2017 at 03:58 PM

Well, Heck!

DENNIS - 1-3-2017 at 04:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

]

Long enough to "get it" when someone asks for the common meaning of a word rather than it's genesis.

RenoJoe - 1-3-2017 at 07:42 PM

We've been here from about 3pm. We parked beside the road started our generator raised our satellite dish have T.V. internet and cell. We may vacation here. We have enough food and water for 3 weeks. I guess this is where we are suppose to be.

liknbaja127 - 1-3-2017 at 07:56 PM

We could not get diesel In Bay of LA, on Sunday the 1st. They did have it in Gonzaga, and San Felipe on Monday.

Nashville Frank - 1-3-2017 at 08:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TecateRay  

Gasolinazo - this is a Mexican-Spanish word (not found in most dictionaries and not in the "holy" Royal Academy of Spain list of Spanish words) that is popularly used to describe the Mexican government's monthly increase in gas prices, as Dennis states.

But, there's a negative "vibe" to this word, as it insinuates an unjust increase in prices based on an arbitrary decision by these "civil servants"!

This article gives its origin, but wonders if its really unjust and arbitrary because of the issue of providing subsidies. (http://www.letraslibres.com/mexico-espana/la-invencion-del-g...)

I guess in the USA, we might have called this a work of the "GasolineN-zis" (harkening back to our younger Seinfeld days and the SoupN-zi!).

[Edited on 1-4-2017 by Nashville Frank]

DENNIS - 1-3-2017 at 08:20 PM

Thanks, Frank.
I see that, in the process of clarifying a point, you got to meet the Nomad LingoN-zi. :lol:

Nashville Frank - 1-3-2017 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
http://spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/898/whats-the-mea...

[Edited on 1-3-2017 by chippy]

chippy, thanks for your addition to this discussion. You added something that I had forgotten about : the "-azo" suffix. Long ago I was a Spanish teacher and I bet at some time I knew this.

Now, I'll be able to understand the Mexicans I work with when they talk about something being "Super-sized"! Like my narizazo!

fishbuck - 1-4-2017 at 01:48 AM

So they think gas is too expensive?

RenoJoe - 1-4-2017 at 09:34 AM

Road still closed at 8:30 am on the 4th.

CVBaja - 1-4-2017 at 09:40 AM

Reports of roads and gas stations being blocked in San Quintin. Last update was 1 hour ago.

rhintransit - 1-4-2017 at 12:02 PM

Spent the night in sanquintin all gas stations closed. Back tracked to los pinos for gas. Road blocks san quintin made it thru going back roads east. Then several road blocks and creative driving around them. The first open gas station is the one south of Santa to Moss the new one out in the middle of nowhere. We're hoping to make San Diego

[Edited on 1-4-2017 by rhintransit]

rhintransit - 1-4-2017 at 12:07 PM

Just passed San Vincenty the gas station there is open correction to the last post I'm doing this on a bumpy road it's the gas station south of San Vicente the new one out in the middle of nowhere that's open I don't know about santa Tomas yet

Udo - 1-4-2017 at 12:08 PM

My two major gas stops going northbound was Jesus Maria, and El Rosario.

Had no problems with with one.

AKgringo - 1-4-2017 at 12:19 PM

If the strike goes on for a few days, I suspect that stations well away from the protest will start drying up. Carrying an extra five gallons won't be enough if the trucks don't start rolling again.

I wonder where the stations on Mex5 get their fuel from?

24baja - 1-4-2017 at 02:11 PM

Still Zero deisel in Bahia de Los Angeles Jan 4th.

David K - 1-4-2017 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 24baja  

They were pumping diesel at Gonzaga Bay Pemex yesterday.
Sorry, I missed meeting you guys (Two for Baja)... Mando said he would be there Monday and introduce us, but I drove in, and Mando and Ivan seemed to have left a day early?

Ensenada

bajaguy - 1-4-2017 at 03:37 PM

No lines at any stations downtown, all pumping gas.....don't see any protestors

pacificobob - 1-4-2017 at 05:35 PM

long lines at the el pescadero pemex.

Gasoline protests

capitolkat - 1-4-2017 at 05:35 PM

I have received some information that due to the increase in gas prices protests are occurring across the country. Several Pemex stations on the mainland are reported to have been burned, the carretera has been blocked at Pichilingue, the port for the ferry in La Paz, the gas stations in Guerro Negro have been blockaded, and in San Quintin the highway is blocked by protestors.

We have a long planned visit to Phoenix starting on the 9th from La Paz. Can anyone verify the conditions on the peninsula, as getting gas in GN is kinda important and getting through San Quintin would make the trip a little better??

monoloco - 1-4-2017 at 05:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
long lines at the el pescadero pemex.
It's panic buying. As soon as everyone saw on Facebook that tankers were being blocked from leaving Pichilingue, they all ran down and got in line, the sight of the lines at the pump give the perception of a crisis, and more people get in line. When they eventually run out, I will be surprised if there aren't a few "entrepreneurs" selling gas in jugs out in front of the Pemex for twice the pump price. I'll just stay close to home and try and conserve fuel until it blows over.

AKgringo - 1-4-2017 at 05:55 PM

If the protests continue, I think you should consider taking highway 5. I drove it recently, and from even more recent reports, it doesn't sound like you would have a problem with the construction zone if you take it easy. It sounds like the potholes in Mex 1 are quite a hazard right now as well.

Normally I would say that carrying extra gasoline is not a good idea on the main roads, but right now I would have some on board, and fill up when you can, well before you need to.

Highway 5 would cut off quite a few miles to Phoenix as well. I don't have to tell you to keep current on any news and reports!

David K - 1-4-2017 at 06:07 PM

Wow, I guess I got out of Mexico in time???!!!

As for Hwy. 5, I drove every km. of it and then the L.A. Bay highway and on to Punta San Francisquito on Jan. 1... then turned around and came back yesterday (from L.A. Bay yesterday) to Tecate via Mexicali toll road. Not one problem at any station including the ones in Tecate on the east side of town as of 5:30 pm. I just saw one banner painted on a sheet, draped over a monument or sign with the word Gasolina on it, so stuff was in the works, in Tecate.

edevart - 1-4-2017 at 06:29 PM

I drove north through San Quintin today (Wed Jan 4). It was a mess. Luckily I had put in the last five gallons we had in our spare tank at Cataviña this morning or we may still be stuck in the side of the road around Colonet. All Pemex were closed/roped off from SAN Quintin to north of Colonet with protesters blocking Hwy 1 in two locations and making a big scene outside many Pemex locations. I like to see civil protest anywhere, including Mexico, but with a three year old in the car and our tank nearing empty things got a bit iffy this afternoon. Once in santo Tomas it was like it was a regular day, although many cars had anti Peña writing in the windows and the gasolinazo is quite the talk this evening inEnsenada and environs. If you're heading south on 1, be sure to fuel up in Ensenada because the line at the single open Pemex at SAN Quntin (south end of town) had about 75 vehicles in it and stretched for blocks in both directions.

What a difference a day makes

Howard - 1-4-2017 at 06:37 PM

All of the gas stations in Loreto have very long lines, at least 40 cars at each station being directed by the local police. There is no way the cars at the end are going to get gas.

I wouldn't get on the road, North or South until this all gets worked out.

BajaBlanca - 1-4-2017 at 07:11 PM

Nothing happening in Vizcaino today at the Pemex.

bazinga - 1-4-2017 at 07:40 PM

I just came home from a 45 minute wait for gas here in Loreto. I was able to get as much as needed and it seemed the lines were getting a bit shorter. No idea how long they can continue to pump before the tanks are empty.

[Edited on 1-5-2017 by bazinga]

mtgoat666 - 1-4-2017 at 07:50 PM

The "man" has us all by the short and curlies. No matter our nationality, we are addicted to oil!

ncampion - 1-4-2017 at 08:11 PM

Not an addiction but portable energy is a necessity in today's world. The issue in Mexico right now is not oil but money. The government derives a great deal of it's funding from taxes on fuel and electricity. It needs more, the fuel and electric costs go up.

DENNIS - 1-4-2017 at 08:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
The government derives a great deal of it's funding from taxes on fuel and electricity. It needs more, the fuel and electric costs go up.

Very possible that the government is making a preemptive strike to balance a drop in remittances should things not go their way in the near future. :light:

Can we keep this up to date

capitolkat - 1-4-2017 at 09:43 PM

I have a couple of more days to decide when or if we will make our trip and would appreciate any updates on conditions. I did understand that the demonstrations were to be for three days 7,8,9 of January and the ones going on now got a jump on the planned demonstrations.

Thanks - Norm

24baja - 1-5-2017 at 09:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by 24baja  

They were pumping diesel at Gonzaga Bay Pemex yesterday.
Sorry, I missed meeting you guys (Two for Baja)... Mando said he would be there Monday and introduce us, but I drove in, and Mando and Ivan seemed to have left a day early?

Mikes

DavidK that is alright they went out to the bush. We went fishing that day I think. There will be another time to meet and we look forward to it. I am heading out to play train with MaryAnn and the girls today.

Thanks for the book it is wonderful.

shari - 1-5-2017 at 09:24 AM

There is alot of confusion and panic and people are filling up expecting shortages which is wise. We bought a barrel of gas before prices went up. In Guerrero Negro yesterday there was a short lived road block by the southern Pemex at the entrance to town early in the morning...easy to get around though and most stations were open although rumour was they would close at 5:00.

We filled up in Vizcaino and the gas jockeys said no problems at all there. Asuncion still has gas so far.
A store we shop in said they were waiting for the truck to come in that was held up in San Quentin area. I cant imagine this lasting very
Anyone traveling please provide local updates!

David K - 1-5-2017 at 09:49 AM

Vizcaino or Asuncion gets gas from El Sauzal (Baja Norte) too?

Today - Thursday

capitolkat - 1-5-2017 at 10:23 AM

The SudCaliforniano reported that there were demonstrations in Cuidad Constitution, that the gas situation in Loreto was described as a panic, that the blockade at Pichilingue was continuing and large semis were blocking the road, but letting cars and police/military/ambulances through.

I can delay leaving until next Wednesday, but have a booked-non-refundable week in Phoenix and lots of family get togethers planned starting on Friday. So looking for thoughts and any idea when the protestors say they will have made their point. for those who haven't read all of the above we are leaving from La Paz and are checking flights but very expensive and we drive so we can bring back some things we have ordered for the house and pool.

Need to go North no later than next Wednesday

capitolkat - 1-5-2017 at 10:35 AM

WE have along planned trip to Phoenix and need to be there by the 13th. WE have a week booked-non refundable- in Phoenix starting on the 13th and lots of family get togethers. we are driving from La Paz, and are trying to figure out if anyone has any good info on how long this might last.

The refinery in La paz has been blocked and local stations in La Paz seem to be fine so far, but demonstrations are reported in Cuidad Constitution in SudCAliforniano.

Just looking for educated thoughts on travel next week North to Ensenada and on to Phoenix. Norm

shari - 1-5-2017 at 10:35 AM

Yesterday there was a short road blockade by police at the Pemex at the south end of town in Guerrero Negro early in the morning but other stations were open as of 4 in the afternoon but rumour was they would close at 5. Vizcaino was business as usual and no lines. We still have gas in Asuncion too but if trucks cant get through that will change.

Loreto update

Howard - 1-5-2017 at 10:38 AM

The gas stations in Loreto have no lines today and are pumping gas. I am not sure if they have all types but it looks like business is back to normal.

Gas Problems in Baja

TMW - 1-5-2017 at 11:32 AM

From Discover Baja yesterday 1/4/17:

Due to the deregulation of Mexico's fuel industry, gas prices in Mexico rose on January 1, 2017. Prices will now vary from station to station but average around $3.60/gallon for premium, $3.40/gallon for magna, and $3.65/gallon for diesel (prices converted to U.S. dollars). The gas price increases have sparked protests in mainland Mexico and in Baja.

Due to protests, Highway Mexico 1 is currently closed in both directions at Camalu, Vicente Guerrero, and San Quintín. Most gas stations between Ensenada and San Quintín are currently taped off and closed. There are also protests in Ciudad Constitución and La Paz. We advise you to delay travel until the roads are passable again. If you are in Baja, you should fill up on fuel if stations around you are open.

We will keep everyone updated on the Discover Baja Road Conditions Page.

mtnpop - 1-5-2017 at 11:43 AM

any info 5 Mexicali, san felipe or Guerro Negro on 1 would be greatly appreciated...
we are headed that way next week,,, plan on crossing at San Luis usually top off on U.S. side and San Felipe...
May need to top off south of Mexecali ???

Diesel only,,,, last month there was Diesel available at Gonzoga station but maybe not for long...

aguachico - 1-5-2017 at 12:15 PM

This sucks. I believe it will be short lived.
I was told Baja Norte gas stops at El Rosario.

chuckie - 1-5-2017 at 12:20 PM

It may have other consequences, this affects every Mexican citizen....Read the mainland news...

David K - 1-5-2017 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
This sucks. I believe it will be short lived.
I was told Baja Norte gas stops at El Rosario.

Nope, San Luis Gonzaga, Bahia de los Angeles, and Villa Jesus Maria all get their gas from El Sauzal or Mexicali Pemex depots. I was surprised when Shari said a Pemex truck was headed to her area from Norte.

David K - 1-5-2017 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtnpop  
any info 5 Mexicali, san felipe or Guerro Negro on 1 would be greatly appreciated...
we are headed that way next week,,, plan on crossing at San Luis usually top off on U.S. side and San Felipe...
May need to top off south of Mexecali ???

Diesel only,,,, last month there was Diesel available at Gonzoga station but maybe not for long...

San Felipe (about 6 stations) no problem two days ago
Puertecitos no problem a week ago
San Luis Gonzaga no problem two days ago
Bahia de los Angeles (2 stations) no problem two days ago

If you top at San Felipe, you can drive easily to Guerrero Negro on a tank.

David K - 1-5-2017 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
From Discover Baja yesterday 1/4/17:

Due to the deregulation of Mexico's fuel industry, gas prices in Mexico rose on January 1, 2017. Prices will now vary from station to station but average around $3.60/gallon for premium, $3.40/gallon for magna, and $3.65/gallon for diesel (prices converted to U.S. dollars). The gas price increases have sparked protests in mainland Mexico and in Baja.

Due to protests, Highway Mexico 1 is currently closed in both directions at Camalu, Vicente Guerrero, and San Quintín. Most gas stations between Ensenada and San Quintín are currently taped off and closed. There are also protests in Ciudad Constitución and La Paz. We advise you to delay travel until the roads are passable again. If you are in Baja, you should fill up on fuel if stations around you are open.

We will keep everyone updated on the Discover Baja Road Conditions Page.

Discover Baja's prices are way off.
Magna is around 16.16/liter and Premium 17.93.

3.785 liters per galon, so 16.16 x 3.785 = 61.17 pesos per gallon.
20 pesos per dollar, so 61.17 / 20 = US$3.06/ gallon

rts551 - 1-5-2017 at 03:11 PM

DO NOT go by what happened 2 days ago. Things are changing every hour. Many stations closing because of the run on gas and for no other reason.

Fernweh - 1-5-2017 at 03:21 PM

I just drove through Chametla (north of La Paz), and it looked like the gate/driveway to one of the fuel trucking companies was blocked by various vehicles......one even was a newer BMW X3 or X5.

Shadowman - 1-5-2017 at 03:32 PM

Actually Discover Baja is correct using imperial gallon measurement!

David K - 1-5-2017 at 03:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Shadowman  

Actually Discover Baja is correct using imperial gallon measurement!

Where do they still use Imperial gallons and does anyone in the United States know the difference? LOL:lol::lol::lol:

DaliDali - 1-5-2017 at 03:40 PM

The Army will be all over the protesters in La Paz soon enough.

They can't shut down commerce for long before people start screaming to do something.

Pescador - 1-5-2017 at 03:52 PM

I talked to the distributor of gasoline for BCS, Diaz, and they indicated no problems with tankers which originate in La Paz. One of the drivers, who is a friend, in Santa Rosalia, said they were doing business as normal, but were on the lookout for problems, of which there have been none.

The stations that were closed mostly did that from fear of protesters, who had seen the criminal elements doing their thing on the mainland and the area north of San Quintin.

Thanks Pescador

capitolkat - 1-5-2017 at 04:45 PM

weebray - 1-5-2017 at 04:48 PM

Small sporadic protests here in La Paz this afternoon but the fuel keeps on flowing. Filled up around 2PM, no lines. My tank now holds about 120 pesos more fuel this year as compared to last.

DaliDali - 1-5-2017 at 05:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Small sporadic protests here in La Paz this afternoon but the fuel keeps on flowing. Filled up around 2PM, no lines. My tank now holds about 120 pesos more fuel this year as compared to last.

Can you confirm the protesters are or are not blocking gas tanker trucks from leaving the P-nche port as of today 1/5?

tiotomasbcs - 1-5-2017 at 05:29 PM

Big run on gasoline yesterday in TS and Pescadero. Today, short lines and gas for all. Manana, quien sabe. Very hard on locals. Tio

DENNIS - 1-5-2017 at 06:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
The Army will be all over the protesters in La Paz soon enough.

They can't shut down commerce for long before people start screaming to do something.

Don't count on it. Traditionally, the government allows, even encourages, peaceful protest from citizens as well as unions. It's a method of blowing off steam before an explosion.

chuckie - 1-5-2017 at 06:14 PM

One has to wonder how long it will stay "peaceful" ? Millions of people have to be feeling the pinch by now...

yumawill - 1-5-2017 at 06:28 PM

Yuma has lot's of gas and Canadians. $2.05/gal. Go figure.

BajaGringo - 1-5-2017 at 07:26 PM

We have been building a list of locations of the highway blockades along with fuel availability over on facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/155768455...

ehall - 1-5-2017 at 07:29 PM

Good luck everyone. I just bought a bunch of oil stocks and going to buy some more tomorrow in anticipation of gas prices taking off in the u.s.

Gulliver - 1-5-2017 at 07:45 PM

A bit South of the info you requested but as of today in Mulege the downtown station was out of gas (not uncommon in the best of times) and the station two miles South of town had gas.

I'm pretty sure that in town station has no dip stick and just waits until the tank is empty to deal with it.

Much of the time the upsets here make up in intensity what they lack in longevity.

I just hunker down and find something else to fuss about.

chuckie - 1-5-2017 at 07:48 PM

Yuma is in Baja?

bowser - 1-5-2017 at 08:19 PM

Both gas stations are open right now in Bahia De Los Angeles. Just got back from a day trip to Guerrero Negro and all stations are pumping there also. Same for Jesus Maria. Gas in cans available this afternoon at BOLA junction.

DENNIS - 1-5-2017 at 08:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Yuma is in Baja?

Yuma doesn't even like Yuma so it keeps moving. :lol:
Jes kiddin'. :yes:

mtgoat666 - 1-5-2017 at 08:32 PM

I heard from a reliable source that this gasoline protest is going to persist, signs are that it is amping up and has staying power.
Also heard from one traveling southbound that arrived today, and travel time was effectively doubled.
The world is going to heck in a handbasket! (and it may all be *****'s fault - gotta start practicing that blame aspersion, so it rolls off the tongue and off the fingertips easily)

[Edited on 1-6-2017 by BajaNomad]

chuckie - 1-5-2017 at 09:01 PM

That's what the papers and news sources on the mainland are saying...I said that yesterday so I am smarter than everyone...Lots of arrests, more violence and looting......All ******* fault and Waaaal Street...

[Edited on 1-6-2017 by BajaNomad]

PaulW - 1-5-2017 at 09:49 PM

Big protest
30 minutes ago. Got a text from my son in SF. No gas. Station owners refusing to order gas due to price increase. Long lines of cars waiting now.
His message said be sure to fill up before heading south. N PMEX has cars way up the highway waiting.

TV news said 20% increase effective Jan 1.

PaulW - 1-5-2017 at 10:00 PM

Update.
The SF Ejido PMEX had 60000 ltrs available. Owner says it will last 4-5 days. Chris said he now has full tank to let him get back to CA.
Very big lines in the town stations. I guess they will run out soon?
Major events in town causing much hysteria.

David K - 1-6-2017 at 12:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Big protest
30 minutes ago. Got a text from my son in SF. No gas. Station owners refusing to order gas due to price increase. Long lines of cars waiting now.
His message said be sure to fill up before heading south. N PMEX has cars way up the highway waiting.

TV news said 20% increase effective Jan 1.

Yes, it was on Jan. 1st, I bought gas at L.A. Bay on the 2nd and had to do a double-take on the amount of pesos it took compared to just a couple days before when I last filled up.

It was 13.98/ L on Dec. 30 and 16.17/L on Jan. 2, but that is just over a 15% increase.

chuckie - 1-6-2017 at 05:57 AM

Ancient history as usual from you DK..

Nashville Frank - 1-6-2017 at 07:20 AM

There's an old saying about those who forget history...I can't remember it...but its good!

[Edited on 1-6-2017 by Nashville Frank]

tecatero - 1-6-2017 at 07:22 AM

For all the peninsula travelers it seems that Guerero Negro, Jesus Maria, and the stations in Vizcaino are the critical places to get fuel, and fill your jerry cans.......Does anyone know if these places are receiving fuel deliveries???? With all the agriculture going on I'd imagine trucks have to be getting thru somehow...........Its like the baja of old, not sure when or where gas will not be available

brucedog - 1-6-2017 at 08:05 AM

I've not been paying attention down here in La Ventana. Yesterday we noticed that there was a long line at the Pemex and I found out about the protests. I decided to hit up the pemex outside of town towards Los Planes. The attendant told me that they will pump gas until they run out which will probably be today.

Has anybody heard anything about air travel being disrupted?

larryC - 1-6-2017 at 08:11 AM

Left LA Bay yesterday the morning the 5th and drove to GN to see the whales, came back through GN and topped off with diesel at the first station in town. No lines and no problems at any of the stations in town. Got back to LA Bay and the diesel pumps were blocked off at Marta's station, so evidently still no diesel here in Bahia. I have enough diesel stored in my garage so I will top off and head to Calexico on Tuesday. I'll let you know what I see.

elskel - 1-6-2017 at 08:46 AM

I am not scheduled, to make the drive until the 24th. We will see what happens. Sounds like some stations are not ordering more fuel? Does anyone know if any trucks of fuel, are actually leaving La Paz and up North by Ensenada for deliveries. Maybe Anthony, Baja Cactus might chime in on this topic? When more of these stations run out, the real crunch will be felt to the economy.

David K - 1-6-2017 at 09:55 AM

Yes, four whole days ago! LOL

chuckie - 1-6-2017 at 09:58 AM

Dumb

mojo_norte - 1-6-2017 at 10:51 AM

No Gasolina Los BaRRiles this AM

chuckie - 1-6-2017 at 11:03 AM

Good article on this whole situation in the NY Times this morning.

shari - 1-6-2017 at 11:16 AM

I just called El Rosario Pemex to get info for guests heading down and they said no problema....gas as usual there which is great news.

chuckie - 1-6-2017 at 11:23 AM

^They may even get more...Cops are breaking some tankers loose...

DENNIS - 1-6-2017 at 12:05 PM

[rquote=1062996&tid=85338&author=lencho
By police? Why? :?:[/rquote]

PEMEX is federal property?

David K - 1-6-2017 at 12:11 PM

Pemex is a government-controlled fuel distribution monopoly. The stations are franchises that are run under tight restrictions by the government. Ah, socialism... failed everywhere it is tried!

shari - 1-6-2017 at 12:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Yesterday there was a short road blockade by police at the Pemex at the south end of town in Guerrero Negro.

By police? Why? :?:

there were just a handful of protesters and the municiple cops had their cars blocking the road...maybe they were just there keeping an eye on things?
My friend who reported this just went around them via a side street and they were gone a half hour later.

charliemanson - 1-6-2017 at 12:40 PM

First [people to freak out are in La Ventana as witnessed yesterday with gringos yelling at the attendant about the situation, as she could control what is a nonissue at this point. Much gas here in la paz and no grey haired people loosing control.

We had a 1\4 tank and just had to stop to watch the show then drove on.

Tourist season can be entertaining.

Lee - 1-6-2017 at 12:50 PM

A neighbor said there was a 1/2 mile line for the Pemex in Pescadero 2 days ago. No line yesterday at 8am or 4pm when I went through, or today. No line today at Pemex N. Todos.

South bound N. end of Pescadero has a Federal checkpoint at Noon Friday. Only saw MX cars pulled over.

mtgoat666 - 1-6-2017 at 01:09 PM

Pemex is a government-controlled fuel distribution monopoly. The stations are franchises that are run under tight restrictions by the government. Ah, socialism... failed everywhere it is tried!

Failed? Says who?
All modern western democracies have a blend of market- and socialism-based systems. Based on poverty rate, longevity and homocide rates, a lot of western democracies appear to be doing a better job than usa!

chuckie - 1-6-2017 at 01:11 PM

So? Socialism is a gas company selling gas?

DaliDali - 1-6-2017 at 01:32 PM

For Christ sake.....keep the damn politics out of this.

pauldavidmena - 1-6-2017 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by brucedog  
I've not been paying attention down here in La Ventana. Yesterday we noticed that there was a long line at the Pemex and I found out about the protests. I decided to hit up the pemex outside of town towards Los Planes. The attendant told me that they will pump gas until they run out which will probably be today.

Has anybody heard anything about air travel being disrupted?

Good point. If there are still gas shortages when I fly down from Boston in a couple of weeks, I just might have to stay. :cool:

Nashville Frank - 1-7-2017 at 09:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Failed? Says who?
All modern western democracies have a blend of market- and socialism-based systems. Based on poverty rate, longevity and homocide rates, a lot of western democracies appear to be doing a better job than usa!

Not always do they do a better job! Those who see Europe as a success, don't see their mega-high tax structure, that takes from everyone and gives to who? There is still poverty and disease in these countries, its just somewhat dusguied. When I was living there 1991 to 1995, I was paying $4.50 a gallon for gas! It was that high because it was so heavily taxed, like everything else. They did have a medical system that provided cheap care, but the trade off was, at times, inferior care or long waits for treatment. We solved some of our medical inadequacies by going outside of the network and hiring our "own" doctor, who even did house calls (or sent his junior partner). But, I was only able to do this because I had access to dollars to pay him. So it was sort of a free market thing going on. But, my neighbors did not have the wherewithal to do this.

This European experience helped me see what a blessing nationalized medicine would be, but also some of its limitations.

Now, with the influx of millions of refugees, and lingering socialist ideas, the EU is collapsing!

Sweetwater - 1-7-2017 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
I just called El Rosario Pemex to get info for guests heading down and they said no problema....gas as usual there which is great news.

Moto friends driving south on the mainland for the past 4 days report no problem finding and purchasing gasoline. They spent last night in Mazatlan and heading south this morning staying on main highways. I suspect Baja will sort itself out shortly.

David K - 1-7-2017 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Nashville Frank  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Failed? Says who?

Not always do they do a better job! Those who see Europe as a success, don't see their mega-high tax structure, that takes from everyone and gives to who? There is still poverty and disease in these countries, its just somewhat dusguied. When I was living there 1991 to 1995, I was paying $4.50 a gallon for gas! It was that high because it was so heavily taxed, like everything else. They did have a medical system that provided cheap care, but the trade off was, at times, inferior care or long waits for treatment. We solved some of our medical inadequacies by going outside of the network and hiring our "own" doctor, who even did house calls (or sent his junior partner). But, I was only able to do this because I had access to dollars to pay him. So it was sort of a free market thing going on. But, my neighbors did not have the wherewithal to do this.

This European experience helped me see what a blessing nationalized medicine would be, but also some of its limitations.

Now, with the influx of millions of refugees, and lingering socialist ideas, the EU is collapsing!

Your personal observations are enlightening with the truth of government meddling in what should be private business (which must provide the best product or service to succeed).
Government (using your tax dollars) doesn't have to be good or efficient (at least between elections). It does have to be able to take your money, however!

Pages:  1