BajaNomad

Where can I exchange cash for pesos in Mulege?

bajabob - 1-3-2017 at 01:18 PM

Hello,
Just got to Mulege and the bank here does not recognize my credit union from the states? Is there a place that I can exchange cash for pesos here at a decent rate? Thank you.

bajabuddha - 1-3-2017 at 01:40 PM

Saul's grocery will accept u.s. cash for groceries, and do small amounts of currency swap..... just not large amounts. If you talk to Saul maybe he can arrange a semi-larger transaction for you.

Bob and Susan - 1-3-2017 at 01:53 PM

20.1 at the bank today

people should stop at the border and exchange dollars before crossing

latest

bajaguy - 1-3-2017 at 02:10 PM

1 USD = 21.1152 MXN

AKgringo - 1-3-2017 at 02:11 PM

I had problems in Mulege over Thanksgiving week. One day my debit cards would work (for only two thousand pesos each) and the next they wouldn't! I had US dollars, but the bank wouldn't exchange them.

I got no help, or explanations from the bank staff either. It was the same in Loreto, but at least I could use my card at the Pemex station.

mtnpop - 1-3-2017 at 03:27 PM

I think the bank will only exchange if you have an account with them.
The 2 ATM's have been crazy off and on for awhile.. or hit or miss so to speak... occasionally a local gringo might be persuaded to help you out some... but we are currently freezing in Colorado...
That's Bancomer in Mulege don't know if Banamex in Sta. Rosalia can help but have heard their ATM works better.

gallesram - 1-3-2017 at 03:48 PM

I never rely on Bancomer in Mulege/Loreto for all my cash needs for a trip; best to stock up your pesos in Tijuana or another large city before heading further south and assume that Bancomer in Mulege/Loreto may or may not be working. Too unreliable to assume that it will dispense what you'll need for a trip.

BigBearRider - 1-3-2017 at 05:48 PM

I couldn't get cash out of the Bancomer last week. It worked the week before that. I got cash from Ayleth's market instead.

ligui - 1-3-2017 at 07:58 PM

I had to call my wife in the states and have her western union me some money in loreto last time I was down because the bank wasn't giving out money.

Was really quick ,half hour .

Happy Hour was just starting , made it ..:bounce:

willyAirstream - 1-4-2017 at 08:35 AM

The gas stations will also exchange dollars, at a decent rate too.

BigBearRider - 1-4-2017 at 10:05 AM

I got money out of the Banamex ATM in Santa Rosalia last week. The left-most ATM was working. The right-most said "no"!

Pescador - 1-5-2017 at 10:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
The gas stations will also exchange dollars, at a decent rate too.

16 to 1 is good?

willyAirstream - 1-7-2017 at 04:13 PM

18 to 1 , 4 days ago, 17 to 1 today

Marc - 1-9-2017 at 12:31 PM

I learned my lesson years ago in S E ASIA. I budget for the trip and then double it and exchange for coin of the realm beforehand here in San Francisco.